Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Infinity Battlescape used to look pretty rough......

..but that's because it was an actual alpha, and they saved all the graphical bits and bobs for last.

Now it looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZPDn0Rl98I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahahahaha

They need to hire you :evilbuddy:

Dude, I'm serious. It's in-game years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Saladin Rising posted:

Ah, apparently we have some new people in this thread, so I'd like to introduce you to Clifford aka miku aka SpearmintVR, a citizen who has spent a lot of money on Star Citizen, and is one of the few to show off the actual number. How much has he spent?

https://twitter.com/spearmintvr/status/1082723123823370240
Almost 58,000 dollars.

You know what else he could have done with all that money?
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

He could have gone on a months-long cruise across the world and seen stuff that I would love to be able to experience and be jealous as gently caress about. There was another cruise that I can't find now that included dinner on a private game reserve in Africa that was also for less than he's spent on Star Citizen. Sometimes you need a sanity check to realize just how much loving money people have pissed away on a lovely pre-alpha Cryengine hack that pretends it's a space game.

my advice for this thread is to keep it more about the game and less about the private individuals supporting the game. things get weird when you start examining peoples personal lives and choices and mock that stuff instead of the bad game

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Straight from the bear's mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4wHImGNAQ#t=14m31s

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

for the documentary, has anyone said Citizen Can't yet

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

gently caress me sideways, they made screamers 2?

Also does star citizens have toilets on your ships?

Yes, they have toilets and they have promised toilet-related gameplay. (your character needs to eat and poo poo)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus Christ

He can't help you here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, seeing how this thread has some inside knowledge, is there any consensus whether this was a scam from the start, or if they only turned it into one once they realized they had tapped into an endless money fountain?

I believe the CEO actually thought this was a thing that could be done. The VP, and marketing person, was probably treating it as a way to scam money, and "fame", from nerds from the start.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

my advice for this thread is to keep it more about the game and less about the private individuals supporting the game. things get weird when you start examining peoples personal lives and choices and mock that stuff instead of the bad game
Okay that's fair. Mostly I just wanted the new thread to know that when we say "people have spent 60K on Star Citizen" that it's not a joke, there are legitimately people who have dropped enough money on Star Citizen to buy that insane $27,000 Legatus package twice.

That level of money is part of what let Star Citizen get as scope creeped as it has.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

My friend, that request is about 7 years too late.

Good News!

The select few that have been ridiculed over the years fall into very unique silos:

1. Avowed Racists, Neo-Nazis: Yes they seem to be attracted to SC for some strange reason

2. Either paid shill or so invested they openly lie across the interwebs: "False Flag Goons!" is all I need to say about that group

3. Aggressive "I'm a programmer" types: These select few make claims of programming prowess and personally attack those who disagree with them. Most often completely incorrect on their technology stance.

4. So invested they openly brag about how much they spend, posting it every single chance they get: People like that are open to ridicule because LOL

5. Sexual deviants that openly request options like rape, imprisonment, snuff films, inevitable consequences, etc. in game: Yup I'm not making this poo poo up.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 6, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

trucutru posted:

Yes, they have toilets and they have promised toilet-related gameplay. (your character needs to eat and poo poo)

I can't wait for the minigame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh by game time I thought you meant they were going to say "yeah 6 years, but its BTAK years" or some poo poo which is actually like 1 IRL Earth Year.

But you're saying its game time spent playing?

That's.... :stare: That's a lot of play time.

But he says "game time not play time" which contradicts himself... wtf Roberts do you even know how this works?

"Its not real life time, its game time" what?!

WHAT?

"Of course if you play for 3 months, you'll have to keep up your insurance, just like in the real world" oh gently caress offffff Chris, this is a videogame

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 6, 2019

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
One of the screenshots earlier in the thread had a ~*-Female-*~. Did they finally get around to figuring out how to animate ladies and get them in game? I still have no idea if Love Pledge is real or meta-humor. I'm not sure which would be worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It also needs to be pointed out that CIG either put money into or did something so their VP of marketing could be in a movie.

We are pretty sure at the very least they let the movie makers use their studios for stuff.

That movie did not make any money and I wouldn’t doubt it one bit of CiG used backer money to invest in the movie.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

gently caress me sideways, they made screamers 2?

Also does star citizens have toilets on your ships?

It's all right. Not as good as the original.

As an alternative to shitposting about crobo having sexy time with sexy bears, check out the livestream of the Chandrayaan-2 moon landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZiJMW5AdHY

It should start in 30 min.

As per wikipedia, the cost for the project was "approximately US$141 million." Imagine that! You can build an actual lunar lander for 60% of the cost it took to develop crobo's lovely tech demo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Othin posted:

One of the screenshots earlier in the thread had a ~*-Female-*~. Did they finally get around to figuring out how to animate ladies and get them in game? I still have no idea if Love Pledge is real or meta-humor. I'm not sure which would be worse.

They did, and now they're remaking all their clothing assets because they were all made just for their male model.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This is solid advice, but occasionally you can expect an exception to this rule (as long as it doesn't cross the line into creepy) because the private individuals supporting the "game" are the answer to the oft-asked question: "HOW is this scam still running after all these years?" They're two sides of the same dysfunctional coin. Remember there's no game here to mock: it's a cargo cult feeding off a literal cult.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh by game time I thought you meant they were going to say "yeah 6 years, but its BTAK years" or some poo poo which is actually like 1 IRL Earth Year.

But you're saying its game time spent playing?

That's.... :stare: That's a lot of play time.

But he says "game time not play time" which contradicts himself... wtf Roberts do you even know how this works?

"Its not real life time, its game time" what?!

WHAT?

"Of course if you play for 3 months, you'll have to keep up your insurance, just like in the real world" oh gently caress offffff Chris, this is a videogame

He's (on purpose IMO) conflating in-game time with game time (without the in-) to present it as a good thing. The first is the time in-game where a day lasts half an hour so 3 months of insurance means some hours of actual game time.

So if you buy a one year insurance package you'll be able to play for 150 hours (or whatever) before you need to buy more insurance. But if you don't log in then the insurance timers for your ships won't tick down.

He's doing that precisely so that you arrive to the conclusion you did "that's a lot of playtime". No, at least for grognards it isn't, specially when the game is designed so that you spend hours traveling from point A to B.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 6, 2019

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Posting in this glorious thread.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So how detailed is the toilet minigame? Are their talent points?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

trucutru posted:

He's (on purpose IMO) conflating in-game time with game time (without the in-) to present it as a good thing. The first is the time in-game where a day lasts half an hour so 3 months of insurance means some hours of actual game time.

So if you buy a one year insurance package you'll be able to play for 150 hours (or whatever) before you need to buy more insurance. But if you don't log in then the insurance timers for your ships won't tick down.

He's doing that precisely so that you arrive to the conclusion you did "that's a lot of playtime". No, at least for grognards it isn't, specially when the game is designed so that you spend hours traveling from point A to B.

If its 6 years of in-game time, that's a lot. But if its 6-years of Stanton which is actually like "100 hours of in-game time" then yeah, that's some seriously deceptive bullshit.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

MarcusSA posted:

It also needs to be pointed out that CIG either put money into or did something so their VP of marketing could be in a movie.

We are pretty sure at the very least they let the movie makers use their studios for stuff.

That movie did not make any money and I wouldn’t doubt it one bit of CiG used backer money to invest in the movie.

And her scenes never made it past the cutting room floor, did they? :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

So how detailed is the toilet minigame? Are their talent points?

Without the proper higiene the NPCs will develop a long lasting aversion to your smelly rear end and will actively avoid you and don't offer you the good missions.

https://youtu.be/SNeFRSoMZuI?t=2370

Zaphod42 posted:

If its 6 years of in-game time, that's a lot. But if its 6-years of Stanton which is actually like "100 hours of in-game time" then yeah, that's some seriously deceptive bullshit.

lol, deceptive bullshit? in my Star Citizen!?

In-game means precisely that, the time as measured inside the game. Not real-life time, which is game or play time.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 6, 2019

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I'd like to offer another reason why Chris isn't finishing the game: fear. There's that thing where people will work on something forever or always say "oh I could do X if I put my mind to it, if I wanted to" but never actually follow through because they're afraid of failing and of being judged.

Maybe Chris wants to keep the money train going because he's just not confident in his vision? Deep down he probably wonders if he's not good enough, and that fear paralyzes him from releasing the game. Especially now so that he's hyped up S42 as a mega-hit genre-defining blockbuster.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hi, for all of the new people in this thread, I'd like to state for the record that Star Citizen is good.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeytek posted:

My friend, that request is about 7 years too late.

Good News!

The select few that have been ridiculed over the years fall into very unique silos:

1. Avowed Racists, Neo-Nazis: Yes they seem to be attracted to SC for some strange reason

2. Either paid shill or so invested they openly lie across the interwebs: "False Flag Goons!" is all I need to say about that group

3. Aggressive "I'm a programmer" types: These select few make claims of programming prowess and personally attack those who disagree with them. Most often completely incorrect on their technology stance.

4. So invested they openly brag about how much they spend, posting it every single chance they get: People like that are open to ridicule because LOL

5. Sexual deviants that openly request options like rape, imprisonment, snuff films, inevitable consequences, etc. in game: Yup I'm not making this poo poo up.

You missed the most important backer.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Santaball possee representin'

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

Hi, for all of the new people in this thread, I'd like to state for the record that Star Citizen is good.

I'd like a second opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

trucutru posted:

In-game means precisely that, the time as measured inside the game. Not real-life time, which is game or play time.

Sure, but that's not proof that in-game-time isn't matching real-life time.

Most MMOs the server ticks away at real life time, although the in-game clock has some multiplier, so an hour is only 10 minutes or whatever.

Until they announce such a thing, all of this is :shrug: and pretending it isn't is shady as hell

trucutru posted:

lol, deceptive bullshit? in my Star Citizen!?

:rolleyes: I'm not expressing shock. How else can we discuss these things? Comeon man I've been in this thread for years.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Snazzy Frocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8lHMCm2Lc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UnknownTarget posted:

I'd like to offer another reason why Chris isn't finishing the game: fear. There's that thing where people will work on something forever or always say "oh I could do X if I put my mind to it, if I wanted to" but never actually follow through because they're afraid of failing and of being judged.

Maybe Chris wants to keep the money train going because he's just not confident in his vision? Deep down he probably wonders if he's not good enough, and that fear paralyzes him from releasing the game. Especially now so that he's hyped up S42 as a mega-hit genre-defining blockbuster.

Right now there is no vision. And he knows it. He can't release the game because it isn't remotely what he's promised, there is no game, and he doesn't know how to make the game.

So its just spinning wheels, collecting money, and lying.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Citizens call this hacked together Cryengine Mod the best looking PC game ever.

Here's the highest fidelity pizza stand in all the 'verse.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:toot: New space ship available for everyone to buy :shepspends:

The 890 Jump Flyable*

* not actually flyable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

colonelwest posted:

Citizens call this hacked together Cryengine Mod the best looking PC game ever.

Here's the highest fidelity pizza stand in all the 'verse.

Why is the space station so cold? Dude has to wear a toque.

Poor Miles Eckhart is in a bar wearing like 4 coats.

So cold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That Indian lander crashed btw :smith:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Right now there is no vision. And he knows it. He can't release the game because it isn't remotely what he's promised, there is no game, and he doesn't know how to make the game.

You speak the :gary:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

These kinds of things are so bizarre to read when you consider that this is a game with no functional enemy AI, whether on foot or in a ship :psyduck:

Also, all prisons are in caves, apparently, and you're going to have to do prison labor and escape from them if you're caught breaking the law. Lol this will never, ever even start development, it's just another Chris brain fart that all of them will hope he forgets soon.

I love how every law update makes it clear that Chris wants no one to ever break the law and pirate gameplay is impossible, even for people who paid money for "Pirate" ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaphod42 posted:

On top of that, releasing it would offer concrete proof that all the negative things people said about him are absolutely 100% true.

People have said he's a bad manager: He can't fight scope creep, he can't decide on a solid vision and stick to it, he can't stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater because x isn't as perfect as he wants it to be.

People have said he's a terrible director: He can't write a script worth a poo poo, he can't keep things consistent within a given universe that he created, he can't develop meaningful characters, and there's nothing about his directorial style that is remarkable/interesting/good.

Star Citizen is incontrovertible proof that not only is all of the above true, but the reality is so, so, so much worse than anyone could have imagined.