Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Number of the beast is the only book I have ever considered burning. Not to keep warm or anything, just because its existance annoyed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Collateral posted:

Number of the beast is the only book I have ever considered burning. Not to keep warm or anything, just because its existance annoyed me.

add The Sword of Truth and Ayn Rand's books to that list and you'll be set

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Time Enough For Love is the only one of his adult novels I've ever read (his juvies are fine) and it wasn't just the agonisingly self-indulgent sex stuff, it was the fact that the main character is the biggest Mary Sue ever put to paper. Not even Asimov gets close to the number of scenes featuring an old fart lecturing straw men.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

freebooter posted:

Time Enough For Love is the only one of his adult novels I've ever read (his juvies are fine) and it wasn't just the agonisingly self-indulgent sex stuff, it was the fact that the main character is the biggest Mary Sue ever put to paper. Not even Asimov gets close to the number of scenes featuring an old fart lecturing straw men.

Same with all of the Long Family books IIRC

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're only going to read one Heinlein that's probably the one to read; it's the balance point between his juvies and his crazy poo poo, so you get a sense of both. Avoid anything he wrote after that unless you're writing a paper on Heinlein.

His best overall novel though is probably Citizen of the Galaxy, his last true juvie.

I'm going to agree and also chime in a recommendation for his short stories. There's some great SF and just plain great writing in The Green Hills of Earth.

In other news, Becky Chambers' To Be Taught, If Fortunate came out this week. It's not part of the Wayfarer's series, but she's an author I have come to trust. Warning, it's a novella.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I finished Spinning Silver on audiobook and I can't recommend it enough. The story and the narrator were both great. Wanting to read/listen to more of Novik's stuff, I looked into Uprooted but heard iffy things about the narration on it. I picked up His Majesty's Dragon instead.

Haven't started it yet, but any opinions on either of these, audiobook or no?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

my bony fealty posted:

add The Sword of Truth and Ayn Rand's books to that list and you'll be set

And the Baldur's Gate novelizations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I finished Spinning Silver on audiobook and I can't recommend it enough. The story and the narrator were both great. Wanting to read/listen to more of Novik's stuff, I looked into Uprooted but heard iffy things about the narration on it. I picked up His Majesty's Dragon instead.

Haven't started it yet, but any opinions on either of these, audiobook or no?

Uprooted is very much in the same vein as Spinning Silver, the dragon books are charming but very formulaic.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
For Modern SF fans interested in Heinlein, Moon is a good read. It only explains how Heinlein thinks a proper terrorist organization should be arranged, and how big gummint is bad but violent protesters are good even if they’re speaking outside the designated free speech cage. Decorum is not emphasized. Seriously though for modern fans that and some juvies or short works is where I’d stop.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i have never burned an ayn rand book, however, on those occasions when i encounter one in a Little Free Library, i make sure to re-home it to a nearby dumpster

recommend that all posters patrol their local Little Free Libraries to sweep for literature deposited there by fascist groups, which does occur!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

And the Baldur's Gate novelizations.

Of all the thrash literature I have read (AD&D, Dragonlance, Battletech, Magic, WHFB/40K), the BG2 novelisation manages to be the low point.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Just finished Murderbot. Are the authors other books good? They don't really look like my thing, otherwise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Just finished Murderbot. Are the authors other books good? They don't really look like my thing, otherwise.

I read her Star Wars novel, it was pretty good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Of all the thrash literature I have read (AD&D, Dragonlance, Battletech, Magic, WHFB/40K), the BG2 novelisation manages to be the low point.

I never read that one, my phase of reading D&D tie-in fiction was pretty much done by 1992 or thereabouts . But I did read the Pools of Radiance one. Lord, it wasn't good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

PupsOfWar posted:

joshua calvert is really, really bad yeah

hamilton mentioned once that he also thought jashua was bad

but that's like...

you didn't have to write the books that way if you didn't want, pete

nobody made you invent a world where this man's behavior is rewarded

IIRC one of his books had the bad guys (EU bureaucrat types) turn up at a protagonist’s house and threaten to frame him for having obscene images of children on his computer if he didn’t comply so...yeeeeahhhh.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sulphagnist posted:

Space Opera came dead last in the preferences and I am rather glad that my antihype on that got validated. It was fine but not Hugo finalist material at all.

https://twitter.com/jeannette_ng/status/1163210202830770176?s=09

Hope JN avoids a hate campaign from patriotic mainland Chinese :(

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I quite liked the Raksura novels, but they aren't as good as Murderbot.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

wells' "the fall of ile-rien" series is very good, as well as the "between worlds" story collection which contains some stories with characters from the "fall" series

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

"Death of the necromancer" is v. good.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The_White_Crane posted:

I quite liked the Raksura novels, but they aren't as good as Murderbot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Next Murderbot novel has a release date. May 5, 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WZ7SB5D/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://marthawells.dreamwidth.org/485469.html

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Groke posted:

I never read that one, my phase of reading D&D tie-in fiction was pretty much done by 1992 or thereabouts . But I did read the Pools of Radiance one. Lord, it wasn't good.

For some years as an older child the novelization of Azure Bonds was my white whale. It stood on my dad's sci fi/fantasy shelf, next to the other D&D novels that I devoured - the Dragons series, the Raistlin spin-offs, weird poo poo like Spelljammer - it even had an appealing cover with a sexy warrior lady and sweet lizard man.

I think I opened that book and attempted it five or six times. Each time I'd make it a few chapters, or maybe just pages, in before abandoning it because it was so awful. I don't know why I tried so many times to read that book.

There are some truly horrific D&D novelizations out there. I think next time I visit my dad I'll pick that one up again and give it one more go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is very good.news, because I thought she was done.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nice!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's an easy decision on the pre-order.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Doctor Fid books by Davis Reiss are nice comfy reads about Totally Not Doctor Doom who, instead of being super-weird about a former colleague and his wife, has a Boys-like tragic backstory that gave him a hard-on for punishing corrupt superheroes and uses his mad science skills (both senses of the word) to run a biotech company as his civilian persona. Solid books, if you're into the genre.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 6, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's almost eight months.

the uk may not even have books by then.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

For some years as an older child the novelization of Azure Bonds was my white whale. It stood on my dad's sci fi/fantasy shelf, next to the other D&D novels that I devoured - the Dragons series, the Raistlin spin-offs, weird poo poo like Spelljammer - it even had an appealing cover with a sexy warrior lady and sweet lizard man.

I think I opened that book and attempted it five or six times. Each time I'd make it a few chapters, or maybe just pages, in before abandoning it because it was so awful. I don't know why I tried so many times to read that book.

There are some truly horrific D&D novelizations out there. I think next time I visit my dad I'll pick that one up again and give it one more go.

Actually, Azure Bonds predated the game Curse of the Azure Bonds. That’s why you can encounter Alias and Dragonbait in the game. Also, why do I remember the character names of lovely D&D novels decades later when I have trouble remembering poo poo from meetings a day ago?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Velius posted:

Actually, Azure Bonds predated the game Curse of the Azure Bonds. That’s why you can encounter Alias and Dragonbait in the game. Also, why do I remember the character names of lovely D&D novels decades later when I have trouble remembering poo poo from meetings a day ago?

Something something about formative years.
It is the same reason you guys go off on a Weber tangent on a regular basis.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cardiac posted:

Something something about formative years.
It is the same reason you guys go off on a Weber tangent on a regular basis.

What's really bizarre to me about the Honor Harrington derails, they're literally banned by the op:

Don't recommend David Weber's “Honor Harrington” series. It always provokes a derail about how bad they are and mentions of Rob S. Pierre. Same with Terry Goodkind and “this was no chicken”.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

BananaNutkins posted:

Self plugging a story that's out today at Flash Fiction Online. It's my first pro sale since The Third Martian Dick Temple.

Together We Will Burn Forever

Only 2000 more words to go until I'm eligible for a SFWA membership!

Late to the party, but this was really cool.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Yep, nice work

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The book on the right is shiny silver all over and would have cost 1.95$ when it was new. There's a quote inside the front flap saying it should win the Hugo, and if it doesn't, the reviewer wants to read what can beat it.

Sometimes I miss the 70s.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

What's really bizarre to me about the Honor Harrington derails, they're literally banned by the op:

Don't recommend David Weber's “Honor Harrington” series. It always provokes a derail about how bad they are and mentions of Rob S. Pierre. Same with Terry Goodkind and “this was no chicken”.

There is an OP?

On a second note, a new Abercrombie is coming out.
Also, Mark Lawrence is a rather passable author when he stopped trying to write bad guys like Jorg.
The Ancestor series was fun and the Red Queen series is decent, although I dislike the world. Faux Europe is boring since it is per default Faux West Europe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Floating Worlds: You can tell this was written in the 70s: 800$ a month is seen like a fortune of a paycheck

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That's $4k in today's dollars.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Our heroine is an anarchist, calls the long destroyed American empire fascist, got arrested on Mars for refusing to pay a tax on her camera, learned an alien language in jail, and told the government that it should destroy itself while they were trying to hire her.

And they hired her anyways because they need someone who can speak that language pronto

Basically I am in love.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The book on the right is shiny silver all over and would have cost 1.95$ when it was new. There's a quote inside the front flap saying it should win the Hugo, and if it doesn't, the reviewer wants to read what can beat it.

Sometimes I miss the 70s.

I'm actually a bit curious about Floating Worlds. Cecelia Holland was a bestselling historical novelist; Floating Worlds was her only attempt at writing SF.

The other one just reminds me of Kagan's Uhura's Song, which was an original Star Trek novel where the Enterprise visits a planet of cat people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would've bought Murderbot yesterday but it's still 9$+ goddamned dollars for 150 pages and Tor? gently caress you. Sell novellas properly.

(note: I don't do ebooks, I have been looking at used copies, etc etc)

Yeah, I like the Murderbot stories but they are strictly an "on sale" purchase for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I like the Murderbot stories but they are strictly an "on sale" purchase for me.

They should really bundle 1-4 and sell it as a paperback at some point.