Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, I'll be the judge, alright. I'll be all the judge.

edit: ok, so more like Home Movies. I'd like to see that, but I'm glad they went with the podcast because the voice acting is on point.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
So I had long assumed that Terry Miles voiced the theme songs to Tanis and TBT. But it’s somehow still disappointing to confirm this fact.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The first season of Tanis is really good even if it still has some dumb confusing elements. But it’s relatively focused, Nic gets kicked around repeatedly in his search, you get really nice creepy stories and then it ends on a great cliffhanger.

The people willing to finance perpetual myth arcs with no resolution is super disappointing, and its even more disappointing that Tanis is stretched out like that by the creator. It could have gone somewhere.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I do want Tanis to come back. I find it relaxing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HIJK posted:

The first season of Tanis is really good even if it still has some dumb confusing elements. But it’s relatively focused, Nic gets kicked around repeatedly in his search, you get really nice creepy stories and then it ends on a great cliffhanger.

The people willing to finance perpetual myth arcs with no resolution is super disappointing, and its even more disappointing that Tanis is stretched out like that by the creator. It could have gone somewhere.

Yeah, Tanis season one seemed like they'd learned the lesson from The Black Tapes that you should probably have some sort of end point at least vaguely in mind. And then the rest of the seasons happened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
[My therapist] just knows I’m in an awful contract situation at a job I hate. She thinks I work for the Tories.” :lol:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jurgan posted:

[My therapist] just knows I’m in an awful contract situation at a job I hate. She thinks I work for the Tories.” :lol:

I love that RQ is unapologetically lefty and progressive.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Fil5000 posted:

I love that RQ is unapologetically lefty and progressive.
Leftist how? MA is the only one of theirs I’ve listened listened to at length, and I can’t think of any instances of them portraying, let alone advocating leftist values. The only exception I can think of is their representation of LGBTQ people, which I will agree is more a left position than right.

Also their portrayal of the ugliness of war in more than one episode could arguably be construed as leftist but that’s a bit of a reach.

Not trying to start a massive derail, just curious, because I have a hunch you may well be correct about this but I can’t put my finger on it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

immolationsex posted:

Leftist how? MA is the only one of theirs I’ve listened listened to at length, and I can’t think of any instances of them portraying, let alone advocating leftist values. The only exception I can think of is their representation of LGBTQ people, which I will agree is more a left position than right.

Also their portrayal of the ugliness of war in more than one episode could arguably be construed as leftist but that’s a bit of a reach.

Not trying to start a massive derail, just curious, because I have a hunch you may well be correct about this but I can’t put my finger on it.

There are a bunch of shots taken at the Tories, Britain's right-wing party

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Droyer posted:

There are a bunch of shots taken at the Tories, Britain's right-wing party

That's part of it, yeah, plus the LGBT stuff as mentioned. There was something in a recent Magnus episode that took a massive pop at landlords at the end if I remember correctly but I can't cite the episode specifically. I might be conflating what's actually in the episodes with how the RQ Discord is and how the various RQ people are on Twitter and such.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Trailer for Within the Wires Season 4 is up (on the website and at the end of latest WtNV) and sounds fantastic.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Another episode of what was that podcast?

Anthology podcast had 2 seasons. First was a steam punkesque old west with a trans man Native American

Second was a cyberpunk about a women who wakes up with 5-10 years missing time. Goon originally posted them that was associated with the production. Was there a third season?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is there an Archive 81 wiki or episode notes or anything? I'm listening through again and want to make sure I don't miss any connections.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
White vault is back! New story is about a pair of vacationers going to Patagonia.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

boo_radley posted:

White vault is back! New story is about a pair of vacationers going to Patagonia.

Is it under the same title? I don't have anything yet on Pocket Casts..

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

boo_radley posted:

Where? I see nothing.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
White Vault: Summit!

Hope you like more blowing snow foley! Also, cursing in French!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

...is it really just 6 minutes long? I, uhh.. I think I'll wait for a few more.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

VAST Horizon is doing some great work making Nolira incredibly unsympathetic. Sure hope that's intentional.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah same. It started out okay but she's really abrasive.

Edit: as of episode 8, pretty sure it is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 5, 2019

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I gave up on that show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

My wife sent me the trailer for the Limetown TV show. Should be interesting to see how it translates. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=376963036530945

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

looks pretty good, shame about facebook watch though

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I'm cautiously excited. I do wonder if the stuff in that clip from outside the 1st season is parallel to season 2 or after it.

I'm guessing there won't be a way to watch without ads? I've never Facebook Watched something before.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If you're looking for a new fictional podcast to check out, highly recommend clicking below, along with the other links on the page

https://lifehacker.com/you-re-missing-out-on-the-best-kind-of-podcast-1837940832

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who wants to talk Bad Ads?

The newest episode of NoSleep opens with an ad for American Horror Story 1984. In the ad a guy is at his therapist because of what happened to him at Camp Sequoia in 1984 and the therapist tells him to watch AHS 1984 because it's about a slasher at Camp Redwood. The guy dies of fright and there's a AHS IS SO SCARY GUYS

Then there's a plug that this 3 hour episode is brought to us by AHS

Which brings us to the framing story. It's set at Camp (Tree name) and is a group of people telling horror stories around a fire. There's a strict no drinking policy at the camp and one guy keeps making comments about "checking out the rumors" and "(the owner) might not like the stories about slashers cutting up campers"

I haven't finished it yet but I feel like this is just one giant ad. The first story was even about a slasher at a camp.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Len posted:

Who wants to talk Bad Ads?

The newest episode of NoSleep opens with an ad for American Horror Story 1984. In the ad a guy is at his therapist because of what happened to him at Camp Sequoia in 1984 and the therapist tells him to watch AHS 1984 because it's about a slasher at Camp Redwood. The guy dies of fright and there's a AHS IS SO SCARY GUYS

Then there's a plug that this 3 hour episode is brought to us by AHS

Which brings us to the framing story. It's set at Camp (Tree name) and is a group of people telling horror stories around a fire. There's a strict no drinking policy at the camp and one guy keeps making comments about "checking out the rumors" and "(the owner) might not like the stories about slashers cutting up campers"

I haven't finished it yet but I feel like this is just one giant ad. The first story was even about a slasher at a camp.

Outside of the giant ad I really liked this episode. The end of the whole thing isn't great, and they plug the ahownone more time. Overall the stories are pretty good and I've really liked this season of no sleep.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just finished listening to the first episode of Earth Break. I'm super into it -- I love the narrator and the production quality is sensational.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

Just finished listening to the first episode of Earth Break. I'm super into it -- I love the narrator and the production quality is sensational.

I've never heard of this one so I looked up the description and it sound awesome. Downloading now!

Edit: Holy poo poo this is good. Always liked Jenny Slate, she does a loving great job on this.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 13, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I've never heard of this one so I looked up the description and it sound awesome. Downloading now!

Edit: Holy poo poo this is good. Always liked Jenny Slate, she does a loving great job on this.

Is that the one that has a subscription box that they really want me to sub to?

It's super exclusive with only 200 new subscribers a day!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Is that the one that has a subscription box that they really want me to sub to?

It's super exclusive with only 200 new subscribers a day!

Yeah but it's just a commercial.. Gotta hustle somewhere. The podcast is really really good. I'm on like episode 5 of 6 and I wish there was more.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I downloaded all of it for a flight and I’m tearing through it, it’s so great. Jenny Slate is fantastic. Also I am skipping through the ads but I think it’s kind of neat that it’s (apparently) a subscription box game company that decided to make a fiction podcast to reach new audiences. I don’t think I’m the type who’d delve into the sub box gaming world but I’m really digging the podcast and would totally be interested if they branched out into books or other stuff like that.

Also ran into Jeffrey Cranor on my flight! Reminded me to check on Within the Wires and didn’t know that season 4 had started! I really love WIW and I’m glad it’s still going. Something about it has had me hooked every season.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Thanks to this thread for the Wolf 359 recommendation, I've just got to the third season and while I enjoyed the first, I don't think I'd have stuck with it if I didn't know it would pick up momentum.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I’ve been looking for more podcasts to listen to and while most of them are really nothing to write home about, I did discover Korn Presents: the Nothing which is just too weird not to bring up. It actually seems like a fairly typical podcast concept except this time, it’s presented by Korn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elblanco posted:

Outside of the giant ad I really liked this episode. The end of the whole thing isn't great, and they plug the ahownone more time. Overall the stories are pretty good and I've really liked this season of no sleep.

I think the first person storytelling hurt a couple stories but yeah overall it wasn't bad. I listen to podcasts on my commute so I just finished it this morning.

It whiffed the framing story ending imo but I'm used to horror having meh endings

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I don't remember subscribing but it looks like Lauren Shippen, the Bright Sessions, has a new one out called Passenger List. Only 2 episodes out so far but the first one was interesting and I'm about halfway through the second one.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

At what point does The Magnus Archive pick up? I'm on episode 17 and so far it's just some vaguely spooky creepypasta. It's fine, I guess. The only episode so far that hinted at something larger was Dreamer, which I liked, and I'm trying to decide if this show is for me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

At what point does The Magnus Archive pick up? I'm on episode 17 and so far it's just some vaguely spooky creepypasta. It's fine, I guess. The only episode so far that hinted at something larger was Dreamer, which I liked, and I'm trying to decide if this show is for me.

Episode 15 was the first one that really wowed me. If you're not enjoying it by now, I'd drop it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Although if you don't like it because the metaplot isn't obvious, stick with it. That aspect picks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Episode 15 was the first one that really wowed me. If you're not enjoying it by now, I'd drop it.

Oh, I also liked 15 and think the episode was really helped with the additional audio. I think my main issue with the show so far is that the stories are always written/read in the same voice. (I know the episodes have different authors, but it feels like there's very little distinction between the characters writing the statements.)

I feel like the show would benefit greatly from the addition of actual other characters, not one just mentioned by the narrator, and exploration of other evidence forms, like the recording in Lost Johns' Cave. If that kind of this is coming, I will stick with it.