Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Khyber, Camping, and Screaming, in that order.

(Note Oxford comma).

The Oxford comma is before and/or at the end of a list. So in that example the Oxford comma is after "Camping," not "Screaming."

Edit: What an inane post to start a new page with. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

The funniest part to me is either the picture is too lovely to let my phone scan them or those QR codes don't go to anything.

I got it to work, they go to the "Zilla Dropship Forces" RSI org page.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

There was a cosplay competition in the early days, iirc, and bunnyman was an entrant. Also the kid in the full face black tracksuit.

Edit: i prefer the image in gold.

This guy? This was not a costume contest lol this dude literally posted on Spectrum and Reddit asking whether or not Star Citizen needed a "Dark Knight" to protect it from Derek Smart and the goons (y'know, by murdering them).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just got my first warning by security staff for talking about star citizen at dreamhack

gently caress the police

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
And we're in the games forum now?
Eh... Hi there games goons! I'm sorry this thread is not about a video game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just got my first warning by security staff for talking about star citizen at dreamhack

gently caress the police

That wasn't security - that was a real-life manifestation of subsumption AI coded by Chris Roberts himself, which he could do much faster than his employees, and he absolves himself of that.

You got a warning because even in real life no Star Citizen code works.

Stay frosty, commando. You're surrounded by Derek Smarts but the good word of the hot bear must be heard.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beexoffel posted:

And we're in the games forum now?
Eh... Hi there games goons! I'm sorry this thread is not about a video game.

Star Citizen is an ARG and we're winning.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

October 2016

3 years ago.

WORM WAS NOT A JOKE!

EDIT: Who has a link to the meeting notes transcription from jump point magazine with the question about how many missiles and worm was not a joke?

Chris: Worm WAS NOT A JOKE

Full magazine (download)

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Agony Aunt posted:

You missed the most important backer.

The setting is so generic that the backers have to stamp "Star Citizen" onto themselves or else they'd forget what cult they're in.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Most of understanding the fiasco of Star Citizen is understanding Chris Roberts. Here's a quote from Chris Roberts, explaining why the Wing Commander movie kind of sucked.

Chris Roberts posted:

I wish someone had sat me down, forced me to pick four or five things that it was important to do well, and focus on those.

There is no one with that authority, no one at all, who is in a position to do that on Star Citizen. So what would you think would happen next?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

You know reading that poo poo, and just having it reinforced repeatedly how much of a dumb, talentless gently caress Chris Roberts is, makes me think someone there - maybe not the rank and file - but someone is getting paid more than industry standard. There's no way any self-respecting professional would work under that moron. Maybe the everyday dudes get under industry to be "OMG I'M IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY !!11" but the actual pros (the few remaining)... they're pockets must be getting lined, or some other less immediately tangible benefit. I can't imagine any other impetus for working with him.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Still laughing about 'gently caress you, got minelayer'. Instant classic

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

You might think "those .jpgs sure are expensive", but remember: Laughing at the train wreck is free

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hm, Page 10 and no Mirficus-bot to be seen? Did we forget to redirect him? I've seen Dementropy here, but I liked having two bots... unless that kind of posting is a no-no in Games, then it's understandable. I need those cultist reactions to the "Gatsby" ripoff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kikas posted:

Hm, Page 10 and no Mirficus-bot to be seen? Did we forget to redirect him? I've seen Dementropy here, but I liked having two bots... unless that kind of posting is a no-no in Games, then it's understandable. I need those cultist reactions to the "Gatsby" ripoff.

I'm honestly not complaining about that. Seeing the same 3 broke brain morons gets old and the screen shots are all blinding white when using dark mode.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Ah, Strike Commander.

What does CIG have to say about this game?

> At the time, Strike Commander was far over budget and a year overdue.

Well, that is rather unusual for Chris Roberts... but one presume he would have learnt his lesson after that right?

Speaking about Strike Commander, the Digital Antiquarian has a new article about the decline of Origin up that throws some nice shade on Chris Roberts.

quote:

The box’s claim that it would run on an 80386 was a polite fiction at best; in reality, you needed an 80486, and one of the fastest ones at that — running at least at 50 MHz or, better yet, 66 MHz — if you wished to see anything like the silky-smooth visuals that Origin had been showing off so proudly at recent trade shows. Even Origin had to admit in their newsletter that customers had been “stunned” by the hardware Strike Commander craved. Pushed along by the kid-in-a-candy-store enthusiasm of Chris Roberts, who never had a passing fancy he didn’t want to rush right out and implement, they had badly overshot the current state of computing hardware.

Also, from his earlier articles on Wing Commander, Chris Roberts even had to be kicked from the game he's most famous for in order to get it finished.

quote:

No one at Origin had much time to bask in the rapturous reception accorded to Wingleader at the 1990 Summer Consumer Electronics Show. Their end-of-September deadline for shipping the game was now barely three months away, and there remained a daunting amount of work to be done.

At the beginning of July, executive producer Dallas Snell called the troops together to tell them that crunch time was beginning in earnest; everyone would need to work at least 55 hours per week from now on. Most of the people on the project only smiled bemusedly at the alleged news flash. They were already working those kinds of hours, and knew all too well that a 55-hour work week would probably seem like a part-timer’s schedule before all was said and done.

At the beginning of August, Snell unceremoniously booted Chris Roberts, the project’s founder, from his role as co-producer, leaving him with only the title of director. Manifesting a tendency anyone familiar with his more recent projects will immediately recognize, Roberts had been causing chaos on the team by approving seemingly every suggested addition or enhancement that crossed his desk. Snell, the brutal pragmatist in this company full of dreamers, appointed himself as Warren Spector’s new co-producer. His first action was to place a freeze on new features in favor of getting the game that currently existed finished and out the door.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Solarin posted:

Still laughing about 'gently caress you, got minelayer'. Instant classic

Did someone actually say that? I thought it was just a funny thread title.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Isn't this where we came in?

Hey GAMES folk, I'm Bootcha, the kool-aid drinking idiot that was a VC and investor with CIG and the Star Citizen Project at the beginning. As someone with an actual vested interest in the success of Star Citizen, I did my best to encourage enthusiasm and engender excitement about the project, after all, more dollars in CIG's pocket would mean more dollars for me, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppdnbrylevc

Hhahaahahaahaha gently caress no.

So what happened, to turn me into a salty, filthy leaver who has no life other than to spread FUD and lies about a project I lost any ability to influence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8oZShTkPZU

Too confusing? Okay, the jist is fellow goons started shiting up the old hugbox and calling us out on our kool-aid BS. Then Derek Smart appeared, contacted me personally, and we discussed what was going on, what questions I should ask CIG, and what leads to follow-up on. Turns out, Derek Smart was not wrong. I saw evidence and heard first and second-hand anecdotal reports of rampant mismanagement, nepotistic practices, and dishonest marketing plans to keep funding coming in. I confronted Roberts and Ortwin (the in-house lawyer and old friend of Roberts from his movie days) about these problems, but was met with deflecting denials or contradicting counter-claims to the opposite. This came to a head when my SA account was directly linked to myself by CIG staff, at which point I told CIG that it was time for our contract to be terminated and our interests to separate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

That should have been the end of it, right? Well, it turns out that despite making a clean exit, I too, like Derek Smart, was infused with glorious purpose. There was a story to tell. Many gaming rags have attempted to make some sense of this giant dumpster fire. But that was the problem, they tried to make sense of it. The only way to know the Star Citizen story is to embrace the madness, the surrealism, and the sheer obsession. And so, the Sunk Cost Galaxy documentary series was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGP9fhjHyBA

It is currently a race to see who will not finish first: Star Citizen, or Sunk Cost Galaxy. Squadron 42 is slated for beta 2020, and Chapter 7 remains in development with more than half the promised series remaining.

This post, more than anything, reveals the Terrible Secrets of Space... Sims.

The notacult.avi era was a special time for this spectacle. The sc thread here was pure mania and schadenfreude.

In conclusion: Keep doing what you're doing

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Did someone actually say that? I thought it was just a funny thread title.

It was a post in the last thread. As far as I know Chris hasn't gone on camera and said it himself yet

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

My hopes for this thread:

-more fyad concern trolling
-less weird reddit post history mining
-frequent games posters coming in angry that this thread exists and is constantly on the first page
-more bear
-:pgabz:

e:

-poo poo tons of frivolous reporting of posters itt

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Solarin posted:

My hopes for this thread:

-more fyad concern trolling
-less weird reddit post history mining
-frequent games posters coming in angry that this thread exists and is constantly on the first page
-more bear
-:pgabz:

e:

-poo poo tons of frivolous reporting of posters itt

:agreed:

The Reddit reposts are the only posts I skip. The posts from the people here are almost always fun to read. Reddit posts are never, ever good. Reddit reposts are like turds floating in an otherwise enjoyable swimming pool.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

The Reddit reposts are the only posts I skip. The posts from the people here are almost always fun to read. Reddit posts are never, ever good. Reddit reposts are like turds floating in an otherwise enjoyable swimming pool.

Look, would you really rather see Spectrum reposts?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:homebrew::lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Look, would you really rather see Spectrum reposts?

I'll meet you in the middle: I'll read Spectrum posts, but only from B'Tak.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

The same day as the S.C.A.M thread closes... Coincidence?...

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The Great Gatsby whispered in my ear
The road from rags to riches leads nowhere

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:five:

I was just playing the remastered version of Bioshock and thinking about Chris Roberts, but I don't have any Photoshop skills.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The devs have been talking a fair bit about argon tracking, yeah.

Scruffpuff posted:

If you don't like the turds in the pool, Chris is willing to sell you an 890 Jump so you can have your own pool :homebrew:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looks impressive, but it's actually about 300 sold ships. That's how big SC core is these days.

Also yay, new thread, new life, old unfinished Star Citizen! Smile for the camera as Elite gets another update in ~ten days!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rap Three Times posted:

The same day as the S.C.A.M thread closes... Coincidence?...

No, we’re all buying back in with our great awakening. We pull the great one-eighty and leverage our bond of ten bucks to take control of Star Citizen, and raise the God Worm Smart to his rightful position to the left a bit of Chris ‘Chris’ Roberts.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The question is how can someone that insane have that much money to throw around on a toy?!?!?! I would love to know... drat If I had 50k to spare I would have dropped out of work and taken months to travel the world and stay in the most luxurious intercontinental hotels and enjoy the high life and amazing scenery and 5 star food etc.... !!!! I would have spoilt myself like a king with that money!

Clifford has some decent engineering job and probably makes low six figures, but he’s lived in a series of hovels and spends all his money on video game spaceships, weeb poo poo, and exploitively overpriced PC gaming crap designed to fleece nerds. Sadly he’s not even the biggest whale, rumors abound of people into this mess for well over 100k.

The prime demographic of Star Citizen whales are 40 something upper middle class men with some decent tech industry job, who still feel that they haven’t achieved the power and success they deserve. They’ll pretend that the money they're spending is pocket change, but really it’s money they need to be saving and investing.

But they’ve been sold on the fantasy that Star Citizen will be a simulation of unprecedented depth and detail in which they will be important and powerful spacemen. Hence you have something like the giant space yacht that serves no gameplay function nor has gameplay designed for it. It’s a glorified digital penis.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 7, 2019

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The end of the SCAM thread was amazing and god bless all you lunatics, especially Beet. Now to settle in and enjoy this one.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tsar Mikey posted:

I just swung by planet Crusader after stopping at Grim Hex (a very spooky and evil place for bad guys ONLY) to get some data on a large trade convoy passing through the system. My organization, named <Bad Grammar Latin Name> is going to pick the convoy clean and take all the loot back the base we built on Daymar (fighter of the Nightmar). Our lead fence will sell all these goods and we'll pay system officials to look the other way in the future.

There, I just had the same experience for $10 that backers have for $1000 or more.

Did you visit the town of Barky yet? It's on planet Barktona...as described in near-Shakespearean prose on the official RSI forums...

These adventures and more await YOU. Pledge NOW.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The setting is so generic that the backers have to stamp "Star Citizen" onto themselves or else they'd forget what cult they're in.

The crossbow casually clipping through the banisters is the second clue. :D

That picture is priceless, the more you look at it, the more you see. :)

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The reactions to the commercial

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d0imqe/origin_890_jump_ship_commercial/

Lol, funding for this game is never going to stop.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
My favorite thing about the new thread so far- random goons stumbling in and saying "holy poo poo, is this for real?!?"

2nd favorite thing- Tane

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My favorite thing about the new thread so far- random goons stumbling in and saying "holy poo poo, is this for real?!?"

2nd favorite thing- Tane

p sure this is celery man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Saladin Rising posted:

Ah, apparently we have some new people in this thread, so I'd like to introduce you to Clifford aka miku aka SpearmintVR, a citizen who has spent a lot of money on Star Citizen, and is one of the few to show off the actual number. How much has he spent?

https://twitter.com/spearmintvr/status/1082723123823370240
Almost 58,000 dollars.

You know what else he could have done with all that money?
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

He could have gone on a months-long cruise across the world and seen stuff that I would love to be able to experience and be jealous as gently caress about. There was another cruise that I can't find now that included dinner on a private game reserve in Africa that was also for less than he's spent on Star Citizen. Sometimes you need a sanity check to realize just how much loving money people have pissed away on a lovely pre-alpha Cryengine hack that pretends it's a space game.

Is he also the bunny ears cosplay guy?