Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No I will be mod. fairly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What did he miss the court for today, didn't he have a subpoena to go to it?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Here's a very rough psuedotranscript, for those who want a feel of the flow of the hearing.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Anora posted:

He was in California for a con or something. His lawyer filed a motion to quash the subpoena which put a stay on the subpoena. Now that the hearing is over the subpoena is moot.

Not a good look to skip your own hearing though.

Aw yeah! This will tide me over.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anora posted:

He probably wasn't originally planning to go to it, since he had some event in California that he was at today, and he literally got the subpoena last night, so it would have been kind of unreasonable to get him back on short notice, though his inept lawyer, instead of arguing that in his motion to quash the subpoena, basically made up a bunch of flimsy excuses that boiled down to him trying to cover his own rear end so vic doesn't testify and expose him for fraud with regards to the false affidavits he notarized.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

There actually are people with various degrees of opinion with regards to vic, the case as a whole, and the larger cultural movement, some of which are rather nuanced.

But 99% of what you see by volume are either chuds using this as a proxy war for gamergate/comicsgate/anti-sjw/anti-metoo bullcrap or gullible suckers who got lured into watching all the youtube grifters videos on the subject and have no idea that they've gotten suckered into a conspiracy themselves. Also the disengenuous arguments followed by gaslighting is extremely tiring to deal with.

There's also a segment who are just Vic fans but have foolishly conflated Vic with Ed Elric or what's-his-face from Ouran Host Club but yeah, it's mostly outrage tourism from folks like Jeremy "The Quartering" Hambly who caught on thanks to the Rekieta connection.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ranzear posted:

It's all about validating the idea that mysterious powers and inexplicable forces are why they themselves are abject failures. It's a way to manufacture a scenario in which they have as little agency as minorities or women and that lack of agency is why they suck. It's about pretending to be oppressed because all they perceive is oppressed people actually making progress in the world while they don't.

Its an insanely egotistical and roundabout way to pull oneself down in the world as an excuse to be a lovely person.

"Nothing is my fault" writ large

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HIJK posted:

"Nothing is my fault" writ large

If only they were directing that energy into tearing down capitalism.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This court case is the gift that keeps on giving

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This made my goddamn day

gently caress Vic with a rusty pipe

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ranzear posted:

It's all about validating the idea that mysterious powers and inexplicable forces are why they themselves are abject failures. It's a way to manufacture a scenario in which they have as little agency as minorities or women and that lack of agency is why they suck. It's about pretending to be oppressed because all they perceive is oppressed people actually making progress in the world while they don't.

Its an insanely egotistical and roundabout way to pull oneself down in the world as an excuse to be a lovely person.

Stop reading my manifesto on why capitalism should be abolished. It's not done yet.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

mallratcal posted:

He was in California for a con or something.

So he was at a Con while his lawyers argued that he couldn't get work, doing cons?

mallratcal posted:

Now that the hearing is over the subpoena is moot.

Missing a court date will 100% piss off a judge. And I think missing a court date is a crime, not sure of the level.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

quote:

Ty Beard: Are we not going to survive a TCPA motion because we can’t get a convention owner to sign an affidavit?

Judge Chupp: Maybe, yeah.
:lol:

I need the official transcript.

Anora posted:

Missing a court date will 100% piss off a judge. And I think missing a court date is a crime, not sure of the level.
There was a motion to squash the subpoena, which I think gets them out of it for now. Whether or not they'll have to worry about it later is another matter, but I think our plaintiff has bigger problems at this point.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/TyBeard10/status/1170116134059819008

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Gotta find that football first buddy...

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Reading the comments in that tweet and it's half people dunking on them and half saying "hey you should appeal!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Certainly not him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It is a good point to remember the legal battle isn't over, not everything was dismissed and there's still the 30 days to mull through. Don't count your chickens before they hatch or...something. :shrug: We'll know soon enough, it's not done until the full dust is settled.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Reading the comments in that tweet and it's half people dunking on them and half saying "hey you should appeal!"

The ironic thing is the people saying he should appeal are playing the long con of hurting the dude more :mmmhmm:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Interesting going through the twitter comments. One thing I missed throughout the drama was that Vic now owes the defense six figures in fees etc because of the dismissals. Considering that money, will there even be an appeal? He probably can't afford it and I bet the fees go way over the go fund me that Rekieieieieieta put up.

I almost feel sorry for Vic Mignona. He suffered accusations (some of which he actually copped to and span back years -- dude knew he was a creep but couldn't stop himself I guess) and his career blew up, and then he was found and exploited by the alt right/chud crowd on Youtube, the same people who participate in Internet gossip shows where neo-nazis slapfight each other. The problem is, this audience isn't sincere, they're just looking for entertainment and they exploit anyone they can find. I don't know if Rekiita is part of that crowd but I do know he shares a significant chunk of that audience. (Please don't judge me for knowing this, I had to live with my mentally ill cousin for almost a year while he fell in with all that stuff. I had to smile and nod a lot while he explained all of these idiot niche interests.)

So what did they do? They caught wind of this case where Ess Jay Double-Us went after a white straight Christian male and they immediately realized they had the chance to exploit his perilous situation for entertainment. I don't think Vic is well versed in law -- most lay people are not -- so he didn't know enough to turn them down when the grifters showed up, setting up a go fund me for his legal expenses. Of course the other problem is that they also dragged this case all over Youtube and from what I'm reading here there is a lot of frankly ridiculous behavior that is now on the internet, forever, that could affect the case. It didn't even occur to me until I read some of these over. Mildly edited because twitter formatting.

quote:

Alan Rawls
@LoveMyTN

Vic himself. He’s on the hook. The GFM won’t help him because (1) Percy likely already billed all of it and (2) the GFM “war chest” will be factored into the sanctions determination.

The GFM was a terrible idea.

kcr
@nomoreASA

gently caress! This is kind of like what popehat et al said about maddox, though- just how liable can the client be for a faulty suit?? Isn’t it ultimately the lawyer’s fault if they go forward with a bad suit the client was told is winnable??

Alan Rawls
@LoveMyTN

You’re correct that the lawyer bears significant responsibility for something like this. And consider these dismaying observations:

1/

The TCPA is aimed at preventing litigious persons from filing frivolous suits. To effect this policy, the statute provides for sanctions. How much? Whatever the judge determines is sufficient to deter the plaintiff from repeating his blunder.

2/

(1) Nick set up the GFM and it’s currently over $200,000. So not only did Vic not pay out of pocket for this case, but he got $200K worth of representation for free. The sanctions award, then, will likely be *at least* $200,000.

3/

(2) Nick is on video, and on the record, as saying that the foremost reason for creating the GFM is he wanted to ground the defendants into dust. Vic associated himself with this person, gave the GFM his blessing, and accepted Nick’s help. Yikes.

4/

(3) Percy leaked deposition videos to Nick for the “Lawsplaining” show. Some time ago, I called Nick shortsighted for airing those depos. This is why. If I were Lemoine, I’d argue the “shock jock,” & Vic by association, started this lawsuit for amusement & YT.

5/

Other aspects of all this should give pause for concern. It’s hard to predict how much Judge Chupp will assess in sanctions. But considering Nick’s antics and Ty’s pitiful, wretched performance today, suffice it to say that Chupp will not be leaning toward lenience.

6/

TL;DR Ty and Nick have screwed Vic over so hard that it’s nigh incalculable right now.

There are a handful of users recommending that Ty notify his malpractice carrier. Not a bad idea. All of the Vic stans want to go forward with an appeal but it simply may not be financially feasible at this point. And holy poo poo, the plaintiff leaking deposition videos? Incredibly unprofessional behavior, and it was all done at the behest of appeasing the modern Jerry Springer Youtube audience.

I guess I'm repeating stuff a lot of people already knew but this is all new to me -- I stayed away from this because I didn't want to get too deeply into it but now its starting to come to a close and it's just terrible. A total poo poo show from start to finish. Man, why did it have to be this why? Why do childhood heroes end up being lovely? And then the leeches come out to sponge off that shittiness and they just contribute more poo poo to the world...

Talk about depressing.

e: the biggest take away for me is that Vic should have been told he has a severe problem with regards to respecting the boundaries of his fans and that he should have gotten help for it before it went too far. Who knows, maybe its hard for a VA to say "no" when you have a bunch of teenagers who themselves don't understand boundaries yet asking for your hugs and physical affection and then it snowballed from there. He would have been better off removing himself from that situation completely though and educating himself on how to set firm physical boundaries to protect his fans and himself. Now we've got this poo poo where he confesses to harassment and has a series of incidents from multiple people that span across years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

on fees there's a rough extreme lowball put together by dunford:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1170161391338176513
the replies by other lawyers mentioning the hourly rate could be double is not a promising sign

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean, you're presuming he would have wanted help. I assume he instead wanted minors.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

on fees there's a rough extreme lowball put together by dunford:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1170161391338176513
the replies by other lawyers mentioning the hourly rate could be double is not a promising sign

drat.

Nessus posted:

I mean, you're presuming he would have wanted help. I assume he instead wanted minors.

Yeah, that’s the awful bit. He could have pulled up and stopped himself but instead he went after minors because...well idk why these people operate the way they do.

Just super sucks. Why did you do it Vic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HIJK posted:

e: the biggest take away for me is that Vic should have been told he has a severe problem with regards to respecting the boundaries of his fans and that he should have gotten help for it before it went too far. Who knows, maybe its hard for a VA to say "no" when you have a bunch of teenagers who themselves don't understand boundaries yet asking for your hugs and physical affection and then it snowballed from there.
jesus christ, dude

dude was molesting kids well before he was a VA. and even if he wasn't you're literally saying 'it's hard for a VA to say 'no' when you have a bunch of teenagers...'

Dude literally raped kids. Somehow, hundreds if not thousands of other VAs manage to be around kids who want hugs without raping them.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 7, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I will, however, acknowledge that he's also an idiot for going forward with this case.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

HIJK posted:

well idk why these people operate the way they do.

Toxic masculinity. Entitlement. A wholly busted values system. Do yourself a favor and read Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft. It’s more about domestic abuse, but one thing Bancroft learned as a therapist trying to help men not be poo poo is with very, very rare exception men who abuse know what they’re doing. They twist and manipulate reality to their liking in their heads, but deep down they know what they’re doing is wrong and don’t care.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

HIJK posted:

e: the biggest take away for me is that Vic should have been told he has a severe problem with regards to respecting the boundaries of his fans

How do you know he wasn't?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Before anyone starts to feel bad, I'd like to remind people that everyone on the plaintiff's side is disgustingly wealthy. Vic's net worth is $4.1 Million, and supposedly his mother makes that look like pocket change. Rekita comes from very old, very deep pockets. Beard works as an estate lawyer for Rekita's parents dead friends, moving their poo poo around and signing himself easy paychecks.

This was a case of three rich, spoiled, entitled cockbites who have coasted their way through life without ever once having to work for a thing they have trying to get revenge on people who had the balls to call their poo poo. And they all ACTED like it. It's very clear throughout this case and previous depositions that Beard is not used to people telling him "No" or giving him any kind of personal trouble. The moment things get hard (like when Toye refused to give him the answers he was looking for) he threw a hissy fit and gave up his two hours of interrogation time to go have a tantrum.

Rekita is the kind of scumfucking shitbag who tells a woman "Uh huh, sure, being molested reminded of your rape, YEARS later." Because the idea that someone can be traumatized for LIFE is beyond his mental capacity.

And Vic? gently caress, ask anyone who has ever worked at a convention that's hosted him. They'll tell you a thousand stories about what a lovely primadonna he is, bending or breaking whatever rules he wants to make sure he always gets what he wants, no matter who gets hosed over.

So, yeah, no mercy here. Make those sanctions sky high, pull Beard into court, get his rear end for his counts of fraud, take that fuckers license out of his grubby mits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1170118818598981633

It's almost like it's not so much a court case at all and instead an excuse to bilk GoFundMe money from idiots who think they're owning the libs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1170118818598981633

It's almost like it's not so much a court case at all and instead an excuse to bilk GoFundMe money from idiots who think they're owning the libs.
And by that logic, him not talking to a reporter to give his side of the story would make sense. It makes Vic seem more unfairly maligned and attacked from all sides.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flytrap posted:

Rekita is the kind of scumfucking shitbag who tells a woman "Uh huh, sure, being molested reminded of your rape, YEARS later." Because the idea that someone can be traumatized for LIFE is beyond his mental capacity.

I can't find the tweet featuring the audio clip anymore, but he also believes silence=consent and that affirmative consent is bs. The weasel face would probably rape a woman if he ever got the chance.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So if Vic does/can sue Beard or BFL for mishandling the case, do you think they'll represent themselves?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anora posted:

So if Vic does/can sue Beard or BFL for mishandling the case, do you think they'll represent themselves?

Lol no. Any good lawyer will tell you you should never represent yourself if you can help it, and to always go for a professional with expertise in the field that applies to the specific case you are handling.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Julias posted:

Lol no. Any good lawyer will tell you you should never represent yourself if you can help it, and to always go for a professional with expertise in the field that applies to the specific case you are handling.

Okay but which strategy will get them more youtube views?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
We're talking about Ty Beard here.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Julias posted:

Lol no. Any good lawyer

Uh ....

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are tremendous lawyers actually...I mean no, I mean they are tremendous grifters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

fritz posted:

Uh ....

They are the most tremendous lawyers. Believe me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Like I know the whole "A man representing himself has a fool for a client" thing is what you're going for, which fair enough, seems like the normal course of action, but didn't Mignogna tried to actually search two legit law firms to represent him and in both cases the firms went "Nope!" as quickly as possible, so he basically got saddled with Beard because Mignogna is legal poison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Anora posted:

Ty's firm has already brought in outside counsel to help mitigate the sanctions payouts and it's likely they would continue to use them in case Vic goes after them for malpractice. Good odds that law firm just nopes the gently caress out of there though.

Wark Say posted:

Like I know the whole "A man representing himself has a fool for a client" thing is what you're going for, which fair enough, seems like the normal course of action, but didn't Mignogna tried to actually search two legit law firms to represent him and in both cases the firms went "Nope!" as quickly as possible, so he basically got saddled with Beard because Mignogna is legal poison?

Yup, that's 100% what happened. I think he only found Ty after speaking with Nick.