Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Initiative is probably First strike, not haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
drat, that Planeswalker deck Oko is almost playable.

One more counter on that +1 or allowing you to target any creature with the 0 and it'd probably get there.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah you're probably right about Initiative. The mass Threaten giving them anything other than Haste doesn't make sense, and First Strike is the only red keyword that comes anywhere near what Initiative could mean.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadeofBlue posted:

In my experience of playing Mardu, Esper and Grixis Shadow once each, Grixis is the most fun version. Lots of cantrips, can go fast or grindy, basically a perfect deck. Mardu just feels like it doesn’t get anywhere to me. Although playing white does make it reasonable to run unearth with Ranger-Captain as a good target, which is cool.

That's the deck right there. Ranger-captain to tutor death's shadow, then sac it to time walk your opponent. Cast unearth on the ranger-captain afterward to do the cycle all over again, picking up a death's shadow. It's like traverse except with a body and a control effect. The deck is really Orzhov + Temur battle rage, which helps out with the mana fixing. Plus you can do dumb things like use hex parasite to exactly dial the shadows in to the right P/T on the fly. I'm kind of surprised we never saw much hex parasite in GDS/TDS, because it seems custom designed to work with the deck's primary win condition.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

drat, that Planeswalker deck Oko is almost playable.

One more counter on that +1 or allowing you to target any creature with the 0 and it'd probably get there.

I just wish he was in Abzan colors because I want that ult for my Ghave deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

resistentialism posted:

either initiative or celerite is haste but I doubt they both are

Célérité is haste, initiative is first strike.

Working in france was worth it I guess, though the french tend to call shock lands "rav lands"

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2019

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

rkajdi posted:

That's the deck right there. Ranger-captain to tutor death's shadow, then sac it to time walk your opponent. Cast unearth on the ranger-captain afterward to do the cycle all over again, picking up a death's shadow. It's like traverse except with a body and a control effect. The deck is really Orzhov + Temur battle rage, which helps out with the mana fixing. Plus you can do dumb things like use hex parasite to exactly dial the shadows in to the right P/T on the fly. I'm kind of surprised we never saw much hex parasite in GDS/TDS, because it seems custom designed to work with the deck's primary win condition.

Oh I know what the principle is, I'm just saying that it doesn't work very well in my experience. Ranger-Captain doesn't really time walk the opponent unless they literally have neither a creature, nor any instants. That's not a particularly common scenario. As for the mana, Grixis is Dimir + battle rage, so it's not any different.

Hex parasite is really bad. You don't need to play cards like it in GDS, because you have plenty of ways to control your life total that don't put you down a card. I don't see why you would want it in Mardu either.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShadeofBlue posted:

Hex parasite is really bad. You don't need to play cards like it in GDS, because you have plenty of ways to control your life total that don't put you down a card. I don't see why you would want it in Mardu either.

Style points motherfucker

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Turn one thoughtseized a guy yesterday and saw a bitterblossom and two assassin's trophies. I had two bitterblossoms in my hand.

It was a hilarious and fun game.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

that rules. I always want to do something in modern with tokens but it always feels a bit too underpowered and durdle-y... still glad I picked up bitterblossoms cheap when they were banned, but I think I've only played them for exactly one day :/

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's fun. I eat poo poo against Tron, humans and spirits, but with a good hand it's surprisingly resilient against hardened scales and give jund and burn a decent matchup. Control is a really fun matchup. Hidden stockpile as a fun bit of tech can be really useful. I've had people destroy it in place of blossoms or intangible virtues.

Meddling mage and mantis riders demolished me last night, but 2 wins a draw and a loss seems to be where I end up quite often.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Oh I know what the principle is, I'm just saying that it doesn't work very well in my experience. Ranger-Captain doesn't really time walk the opponent unless they literally have neither a creature, nor any instants. That's not a particularly common scenario. As for the mana, Grixis is Dimir + battle rage, so it's not any different.

2WW Hatred with protection included is powerful :shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

resistentialism posted:

either initiative or celerite is haste but I doubt they both are

initiative is 1st strike

e: oops new page

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
This is also why, for a little while before haste was keyworded, it used to be called "celerity" by the community and RnD

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I remember InQuest trying to push blitzkrieg as the term for "unaffected by summoning sickness."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Kanister is hogaaking people in Vintage now

Edit: also i’ve been traveling but has the thread discussed how disgusting Oko seems?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Uhhhh, da fuq?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Kanister is hogaaking people in Vintage now

Edit: also i’ve been traveling but has the thread discussed how disgusting Oko seems?

Oko is good but I really want to see a few more food enablers/payoffs first before I want to play it over some of the other options in standard.

Though it is one of the cleanest answers to the God-eternals so maybe thats enough.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhh, da fuq?

What about it? It was spoiled a few days ago.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Oko is good but I really want to see a few more food enablers/payoffs first before I want to play it over some of the other options in standard.

Though it is one of the cleanest answers to the God-eternals so maybe thats enough.

Does it need anything else? It’s really hard to attack down, gives you life and/or blockers if they don’t, removes hard to deal with threats, and dominates an empty or stalled board. It seems generically great to me

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 7, 2019

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Framboise posted:

What about it? It was spoiled a few days ago.

But two Planeswalkers on the same card is way cool if you haven’t seen it before; I was well excited when I saw it at first

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I read it as "there's something wrong/bad". It's pretty nifty yeah.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

Oh, I read it as "there's something wrong/bad".

There is, they don't do effects that draw then do something based on cards in hand as a nested triggered ability. Heartwarming Redemption and Commence the Endgame in WAR just have it as part of the ability. Hell, this ability as a sorcery, Master the Way, just has it happen immediately. As written, would give the opponent a chance to respond between the draw 4 and the burn for... some reason. Perhaps because the person making this fake doesn't know how to template things properly.

Also the typeline looks stupid.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There is, they don't do effects that draw then do something based on cards in hand as a nested triggered ability. Heartwarming Redemption and Commence the Endgame in WAR just have it as part of the ability. Hell, this ability as a sorcery, Master the Way, just has it happen immediately. As written, would give the opponent a chance to respond between the draw 4 and the burn for... some reason. Perhaps because the person making this fake doesn't know how to template things properly.

It's all one ability, so drawing and dealing damage are separate events, but your opponent has no chance to respond to them. They template cards that way all the time.

Also, it was confirmed to be real at some point a few days ago.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 7, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what's the mpl's sapphire division denote?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
"when you do" and "if you do" mean two different things. "when you do" creates a triggered ability that you can respond to.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I assumed the ultimate was set up that was so you can choose the target after you draw your cards, so you know what you actually want to kill.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dumb rules question that came up at fnm yesterday:

Player A attacks with champ of dusk (4/4) into player B's board of 2x merfolk trickster (2/2)

B double blocks with the mt's then divedowns one of them to "save it", sending one of them to the graveyard.

This is hideously wrong, as mtga tells me that when they declare blockers, attacking player orders blockers, and then player B has the opportunity to dive down the first blocker, saving both 1 and 2, as champ now puts 4 damage onto the 2/5 trickster.

There's no ability to 'save' one of the tricksters, because damage doesn't go on the stack.

I'm right, right?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
hang on, give me a minute

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Drewjitsu posted:

Dumb rules question that came up at fnm yesterday:

Player A attacks with champ of dusk (4/4) into player B's board of 2x merfolk trickster (2/2)

B double blocks with the mt's then divedowns one of them to "save it", sending one of them to the graveyard.

This is hideously wrong, as mtga tells me that when they declare blockers, attacking player orders blockers, and then player B has the opportunity to dive down the first blocker, saving both 1 and 2, as champ now puts 4 damage onto the 2/5 trickster.

There's no ability to 'save' one of the tricksters, because damage doesn't go on the stack.

I'm right, right?

You can choose to put the dive down on the second trickster if you want. What they did was legal, if a little silly.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Dr. Stab posted:

"when you do" and "if you do" mean two different things. "when you do" creates a triggered ability that you can respond to.

Yeah I checked the rules and you're right, whoops.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tulul posted:

It's all one ability, so drawing and dealing damage are separate events, but your opponent has no chance to respond to them. They template cards that way all the time.

None of those are abilities like Master the Way, or the two cards in WAR that draw and do something based on the number of cards in your hand, which don't use the "when you do" phrase.

This change in templating would be sudden and increase the length of the text and not really clarify anything, so why would they do it?

ELD already has a change in template that is there to clarify that Enchantment Artifacts aren't counted twice, Champion of the Flame didn't get +4/+4 from Aura Equipment attached to it, this just makes it clearer. Sorta like the change in tribal pumps that make Immerwolf and Howlpack Resurgence have different printed text despite doing the same thing.

What does the "when you do" clarify?

quote:

Also, it was confirmed to be real at some point a few days ago.

Who confirmed it? Where? How? I can say Foegod, Master of Iron was confirmed to be real, but what's the source of that?

I mean, it's a real .jpg, not a phantom of a .jpg.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

You can choose to put the dive down on the second trickster if you want. What they did was legal, if a little silly.

Right, player b said that the attacking creature would put 2 damage on each creature and then he would dive down one of them to prevent it from being destroyed. Which is impermissible via the rules, due to damage not going on the stack. If you're letting damage happen, the creatures die.

And if you dive down the second mt, instead of the first, that's just a straight up misplay, because you know how order of blockers work.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 7, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's so you can see what cards you draw before choosing what you target. See also: Dream Eater, Hypothesizzle. This isn't hard to figure out :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'll wait to complain about the card until it's put on Scryfall/Mythic Spoiler

Edit: Oh it's already there so I will say I wish there were more planeswalkers in this set

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Right, player b said that the attacking creature would put 2 damage on each creature and then he would dive down one of them to prevent it from being destroyed. Which is impermissible via the rules, due to damage not going on the stack. If you're letting damage happen, the creatures die.

And if you dive down the second mt, instead of the first, that's just a straight up misplay.

Damage doesn't go on the stack, but you choose the order to assign lethal damage before you do damage. So it sounds like nobody here really know how combat works.

The short version: attacker chooses which creature to take damage first. Blocker casts Dive Down targeting a creature. Damage is assigned, with lethal needing to be assigned to the first creature before any others can be assigned damage. So the blocker should have targeted the first creature to keep both alive, but apparently they targeted the second one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole point of templating it that way is so that your opponent can't kill whatever you're targeting in order to deny you your card draw.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

It's so you can see what cards you draw before choosing what you target. See also: Dream Eater, Hypothesizzle. This isn't hard to figure out :shrug:

My research completely missed Hypothesizzle.

gently caress.

The WAR examples wouldn't need to because they don't target anything.

Goddamn.

I still think it looks stupid but this company did change how colorless mana worked in the middle of a block once so looking stupid doesn't mean much.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

The whole point of templating it that way is so that your opponent can't kill whatever you're targeting in order to deny you your card draw.

Not necessarily. They still print cards like Ral's Outburst that can be countered by removing the target. It's usually on cards that draw or otherwise look at cards before doing the damage so you can look at the cards before doing the damage. AFAIK this kind of trigger started with Keranos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My research completely missed Hypothesizzle.

gently caress.

The WAR examples wouldn't need to because they don't target anything.

Goddamn.

I still think it looks stupid but this company did change how colorless mana worked in the middle of a block once so looking stupid doesn't mean much.

Lol are you okay?