Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sab669 posted:

My ears aren't sensitive enough to notice lovely production stuff :smugdog:

Just wanted to say the more I listen to this album, the more and more I like it. But gently caress Invincible is just really goddamn good.

Same, I really thought pneuma was the best track but invincible replays much better. To me, this album is a nice bookend on Tool's career, not ground breaking, but so nice to see an older band put something great together after so much time away. I was really not a fan of 10000 days and had mostly checked out on them after that, but the new album is a kind of perfect closure for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I believe Tool when they say it's not their last album. Some of the stuff that was going on behind the scenes, it's actually very understandable that it took 13 years (when combined with the fact that they don't need the money).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I believe Tool when they say it's not their last album. Some of the stuff that was going on behind the scenes, it's actually very understandable that it took 13 years (when combined with the fact that they don't need the money).

They average 6.5 years between albums at this point. The three albums they’ve released since AEnima took 5, 5, and 13 years, respectively. FI also sounds like such a career summary to me, with the recycled riffs and Adam saying he finally got to use some concepts hanging around since AEnima. I’m not saying they won’t put out a new album, but another album feels about as likely as another My Bloody Valentine album

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Agreed - initially I thought Pnuema was best, but Pnuema Invincible and 7empest were my immediate favorites (like everyone else :v:) but Invincible has taken a "clear lead" for me since last week.

I'm a weird newer fan (didn't really get into them until like 2013?) who actually thinks 10,000 Days is fantastic. Vicarious and Jambi have great loving grooves. Wings for Marie is a little slow and I usually skip those 2 just because everything else is so good, but every time I do listen to them I'm like, "Oh yea - these songs are actually really cool". The Pot is fun, Rosetta Stoned is great. I like a lot of the stuff on Aenima and Lateralus, but lyrically 10k just pulls me in more.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I need to go back and listen to Jambi, my girlfriend was a big perfect circle fan and that's her favorite tool song, and I just can't even begin to remember what it sounds like. I think Lateralus blew my mind so hard that I just couldn't deal with the weaker songs in 10000 days and just shut down on the band.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My birthday is tomorrow - I just got four tickets to the Philly show within five minutes of sales going live. I cannot believe this is happening.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

They average 6.5 years between albums at this point. The three albums they’ve released since AEnima took 5, 5, and 13 years, respectively. FI also sounds like such a career summary to me, with the recycled riffs and Adam saying he finally got to use some concepts hanging around since AEnima. I’m not saying they won’t put out a new album, but another album feels about as likely as another My Bloody Valentine album

I wouldn't take the average. I mean in 2005 NIN had taken an average of 4 years per release, it's less than half that since then (not even counting all the other stuff Reznor does now). There were reasons for the delays, same as with Tool here. Things that are unlikely to happen again that contributed to this wait:

-2 of the guys having bad scooter accidents separately, delaying production
-A years-long lawsuit that leaves them not giving a poo poo
-2 of the members becoming fathers for the first time and having to focus on that

If you read the interviews they've been putting out (much more frank than usual), a lot of this poo poo would happen in the middle of a serious attempt at recording and it would end up delaying it again because they all have their own poo poo to do.

I'm not saying they're going to put a new album out in two years, but when they're all talking about "the next album" already when they didn't seem committed to making one last time, I imagine we'll see one in 5 years or so. It'll take more than 2-3 years just because Maynard will want to do at least one Puscifer album and tour, and maybe another horrible APC album and tour. I have a feeling he's the biggest bottleneck of them all.

edit: scored lower bowl tickets to the Chicago show :hellyeah:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 6, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder if this album gets the metal grammy

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Getting tickets was way easier than I expected, and I was able to get on the floor. And honestly, $95 - $125 for floor seats is cheaper than I was expecting.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

Getting tickets was way easier than I expected, and I was able to get on the floor. And honestly, $95 - $125 for floor seats is cheaper than I was expecting.

What show? I went with "best available" for Philly and got four tickets in section 213.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I kept getting "sorry another fan beat you to those tickets, please select tickets from the updated seating map" but it never ACTUALLY updated with tickets that had been taken since I first got in. So I eventually gave up and got lower bowl corner seats. Still will own. Got 4 seats for friends and another friend grabbed 4 one section over :rock:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 6, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Wildtortilla posted:

What show? I went with "best available" for Philly and got four tickets in section 213.

Chicago. Was able to snag end seats too :toot:

Nail Rat posted:

I kept getting "sorry another fan beat you to those tickets, please select tickets from the updated seating map" but it never ACTUALLY updated with tickets that had been taken since I first got in. So I eventually gave up and got lower bowl corner seats. Still will own.

Yeah that poo poo was frustrating, think I just got lucky. Took me like 20 different seat choices in sections 4, 5, and 6 to finally get through.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

angrygodofjebus posted:

lol $200 (Canadian) for Toronto. gently caress me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My local Tool show is a festival they're playing with basically every popular 90's white boy rock group you can think of, seemingly specifically tailored to white guys in their mid-30s to 40s. I won't be in town for it but it wouldn't be my preferred venue to see them anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Given it a few runthroughs on Youtube, it's definitely Tool. If anything this is making me go back and listen to Lat and Days again to compare things. A lot of the new album does sound very 'jam-y' but that just makes it easier to have on in the background while I'm at work.

Crossposting because it might be another 15 years before Tool is memeworthy again

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You're missing the ring on his finger :colbert: what is this, amateur hour?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tool: who the gently caress is TOOL?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Tool: who the gently caress is TOOL?

'Children confused by actual band being popular.'

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

You're missing the ring on his finger :colbert: what is this, amateur hour?

I think you'll find the ring is in fact a spiral, and it is already inside all of us :agesilaus:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Can you try to edit some choruses into the drat thing? Or at least some memorable riffs aside from Adam Jones literally opening a song with King Crimson’s “Frame by Frame”?

which song?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jambi loving rules. SHINE ON BENEVOLENT SON

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

7empest.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just paste in "Actin all surprised when you're caught in the lie...it's not unlike you! It's not unlike you...we know your nature!" everywhere.

edit: just realized that while I saw APC twice in 2011, I've only seen Tool twice, the last time being Lollapalooza 2009. Meaning it was over ten years ago. Makes me feel almost as old as seeing Iron Maiden for the first time in 19 years did a few weeks ago. Getting old sucks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jesus, you guys almost made me buy tickets....I've seen tool 3 times in my life, in Houston the cheapest ones i can get are 200 and the seats suck...sorry just not gonna do this.

e: ok debating with my gf about buying tickets...I'm listening to Invincible loud as hell, i'm thinking about dropping 500 bucks for tickets for two...I'm beating myself up for missing an opportunity to see them again...but I know it's just a mistake, they're great, have given me so much over the years...but that money could be spent in so many ways better. Ugh.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 7, 2019

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Did anyone else see them on the first Lateralus tour? I remember it so vividly because of how formative it was for me in my early adolescence. One thing I’m not sure if I’m making up though- did they bring out two acrobats in the schism makeup to hang from the ceiling and swing around? I remember it like it was a dream.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jewmanji posted:

Did anyone else see them on the first Lateralus tour? I remember it so vividly because of how formative it was for me in my early adolescence. One thing I’m not sure if I’m making up though- did they bring out two acrobats in the schism makeup to hang from the ceiling and swing around? I remember it like it was a dream.

Yup. They were called Osseus Labyrint. Still the best show of theirs I've been to.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Another near 40 year old boy that hasn't thought about Tool in years checking in. I first listened to the title track when it dropped on Spotify and told a few friends how boring I thought it was after one listen. After a few more I was Ron Swanson sprinting frantically through the woods back to one of my old favorite bands. I don't know how many times I've listened to FI and their back catalog over the past 2 weeks. A lot. I love the new album. I still love their old ones.

Anyway, my live Tool story is that the second time I saw them (I think it was in Dallas, and definitely just after Lateralus released) I was on the floor right up against the fence in front of the stage. It was awesome. I was so psyched when they started Parabol because I knew Parabola was next. During the latter song the pressure from all of the people behind me kind of caused me black out for a few seconds during the entire little guitar solo that I was so excited to hear. I came back to life right after that part and there was huge red glitter falling from the sky - and maybe a big red beach ball being bounced around? Maybe I'm making up the beach ball bit. It was surreal. I saved a piece of the red foil glitter. Thanks for listening.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ jfc I'm 40 this year, Tool fandom was really laser focused to people in HS around 1994-98 huh...

Nail Rat posted:

Makes me feel almost as old as seeing Iron Maiden for the first time in 19 years did a few weeks ago. Getting old sucks.

Few hours ago I laid down cash for the Maiden show in Dallas. This'll be the 3rd time after once on the Virtual XIII tour (ew) and once for Brave New World :uptheirons:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Jesus, you guys almost made me buy tickets....I've seen tool 3 times in my life, in Houston the cheapest ones i can get are 200 and the seats suck...sorry just not gonna do this.

I went back and forth on my Maiden tickets, pretty much all that were left were cheapy general access way in the back, or in the pit below the stage for 300bux. I ended up taking GA because I'm tall and can see over everybody anyway, but if you really like the band I say go for it. Tool isn't Iron Maiden old, but they ain't gonna tour forever, once they quit that's all you're gonna get.

Pitchy McForkersen gave them 5.4, which seemed a bit low but opinions seem pretty split even in this thread, so maybe for a 30 year old band putting out new material after over a decade the best you could hope for is something at least decent that still sounds unmistakably like the band in question. Pretty much everyone seems to agree we could lose a couple of minutes from each track, so there's probably at least half an objectively great album in here.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm 31! Aenima was the first album I listened to all the way through; I would listen to it over and over on family road trips in elementary school. I used to download Tool music videos on Kazaa or Limewire or whatever but they were too scary for my baby brain.

I never really gave 10,000 Days a fair chance because Vicarious opens with the most boring, aimless riff of all time and by 2006 I was listening to completely different music.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Just listened to Jambi with my girl this eve, and...I know why I had totally forgotten it...it's ok but it's nothing like the whole of Lateralus or before that. Gonna give 10k days another go soon, but I have a feeling it was just not very good.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Jewmanji posted:

poo poo, it was formative for me and I was in my mid-twenties! That was quite handily the best show I've ever seen, period. It was late October in Phoenix, so it was just beautiful out; it was at Desert Sky, which is a pretty fantastic outdoor venue for big concerts; they had a local high school drumline come out and do a couple covers before the show, which was awesome (Shadow Mountain HS, I think, but I could be wrong. I don't recall exactly what the situation was, but I think maybe Danny or Adam had a nephew that went there or something like that? I kinda know a guy who was in it, but I forget what he told me); plus that was peak, like, "Tool" as a cohesive multimedia aesthetic, not just a band, and I was all in on it, so it was all pretty mind-blowing. Plus, on top of all that, it was close enough on the heels of 9/11 that it was such a goddamn cathartic experience. One of the warmest things I've ever felt was at the end of the show, when they gathered midstage for their group hug (do they still do that?) and all the stage lights got turned back on the audience, like a big "no, thank you." Not saying that was unique to that show, but it really did feel like a special night. I was also high as poo poo, so that helped.

Anyway, I got my Iron Maiden ticket this morning and I'm waaaay up in the nosebleeds 'cause I have a real problem paying more than 50 bucks (minus fees) for a concert anymore. Which makes me a little nervous about my Tool ticket, because my buddy was in charge of getting those, and he went lower bowl, straightaway center. I haven't even asked what I owe him yet. :homebrew:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Tricky opened and he came back out to help on Reflection and it was bizarrely amazing. According to some of the old reviews over on TDN, he also chipped in on Opiate and Triad, but I only remember him being out there for Reflection.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 7, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I bought lower bowl Maiden tickets last week instead of Tool, but mostly because the Sacramento Tool show is a festival and I don’t have time for an all-day festival anymore. I got kids to drive to sports every fuckin day.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just listened to Jambi with my girl this eve, and...I know why I had totally forgotten it...it's ok but it's nothing like the whole of Lateralus or before that. Gonna give 10k days another go soon, but I have a feeling it was just not very good.

Honestly - and I know I'm in the minority here - 10k is usually my go-to when I'm in a Tool mood. I just find it to be a good cross-section of what I enjoy about them, and it has a good amount of variety. Vicarious doesn't sound like Jambi doesn't sound like Wings doesn't sound like The Pot and certainly none of them sound like Rosetta Stoned.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Rosetta Stoned was the only track I really got into on 10k Days. I always liked Aenima the most, then Lateralus, but mostly I liked to get stoned while my parents were sleeping and listen to pirated Salival versions of Pushit and Third Eye

Lester Shy posted:

I'm 31! Aenima was the first album I listened to all the way through; I would listen to it over and over on family road trips in elementary school. I used to download Tool music videos on Kazaa or Limewire or whatever but they were too scary for my baby brain.

I never really gave 10,000 Days a fair chance because Vicarious opens with the most boring, aimless riff of all time and by 2006 I was listening to completely different music.

Hi, it appears that you are me

big boi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 7, 2019

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This album has made me realise two things. 1- all tool albums since Lateralus have been essentially 6 songs, with interludes. That takes away the disappointment with the length of Fear Inoculum.

2- 10 000 Days rules. Every song is incredible.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Seriously how many people were huge fans of Tool, but never really into 10,000 Days and forgot about the band for 13 years until now? I think my tastes were rapidly evolving in the mid 2000's and I just never gave the album a real chance. I've been listening to it this past week and it really is a good album. Not my favorite or anything, but it's got some great songs.

I've also realized just how integral and good Justin is now that I've played bass in a few bands and think a bit more like a bassist. When I was younger I played guitar and really focused on that more. Like I always liked what he was doing, but holy hell JC is good.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

Seriously how many people were huge fans of Tool, but never really into 10,000 Days and forgot about the band for 13 years until now? I think my tastes were rapidly evolving in the mid 2000's and I just never gave the album a real chance. I've been listening to it this past week and it really is a good album. Not my favorite or anything, but it's got some great songs.

I've also realized just how integral and good Justin is now that I've played bass in a few bands and think a bit more like a bassist. When I was younger I played guitar and really focused on that more. Like I always liked what he was doing, but holy hell JC is good.

Yeah, I’ve been listening through their discography the last couple weeks and Justin really is a huge driving force. Adam’s guitar work is serviceable enough, but wouldn’t be nearly as interesting without Justin’s bass parts to bounce off of.

I was really into 10,000 Days when it was released, and Lateralus was my favorite album by them for a loooong time. I put Ænima on last night with some good headphones for the first time in at least a decade, and now I’m kind of wishing they’d go back to more “traditional” song structures. Some of the more extended jams would be cool to see live, but on an album kind of disrupt the pacing. I’m a music nerd and the crazy time signatures are cool and all, but I felt they worked better on Ænima; instead of riffs constantly changing meter, you’d have a sporadic moment (like Danny’s insane fill towards the end of 46&2) that throws you for a loop and makes much more of an impact. Maybe it’s just me getting older and my taste in music changing, but sometimes it seems like they’re more focused on writing extended jams in bizarre time signatures than writing good songs.

That being said, Pneuma is one of my favorite things they’ve ever done and trying to figure out the time signature of the main riff is driving me nuts.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Pneuma and Invincible make my top 10 Tool song list, for sure.

I'm among the slightly younger generation of fan so I did not experience the 5-year gap between Lateralus and 10,000 Days. I probably heard those within days of each other because they were already out when I got into the band. With that said, 10,000 Days is more interesting to me than Lateralus. I love the ethereal quality of it, yet at the same time it is kind of a hodge-podge (Rosetta Stoned vs Wings for Marie) of song styles and themes and it is actually insane. Lateralus is much more cohesive.

Fear Inoculum seems like a tribute to all their albums. I don't get the "oh it is 10,000 Days" thing other than it being a mixture of stuff. Overall it is fairly dark and melancholic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Lester Shy posted:

Oh man...10,000 days you'll get mixed reviews about (the song(s)), but Jambi ,The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned are amongst their best.

quote:

Just listened to Jambi with my girl this eve, and...I know why I had totally forgotten it...it's ok but it's nothing like the whole of Lateralus or before that

Imma let you finish but I can't get behind this at all sorry. Jambi is incredible.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The title track is easily the best thing about 10,000 days. They might be known for playing with time signatures and being an "intellectual" band but Tool have always been at their best when some emotion comes through IMO, which is probably why I like Aenima the best. 10,000 days actually being about something personal instead of philisophical musings on the failings of mankind makes it hit a lot harder.