Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; disregard, turns out there are subsequent paragraphs haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The UA is out. https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-AberrantLurk.pdf

I want to play that sorcerer immediately. It doesn't seem as strong as Divine Soul but plenty good and with all the creepy crawly spells I love.

Warlock looks outrageously strong in terms of combat but I'm iffy on it embodying the flavor.

I really want to warp every enemy I can see 1 mile into the air.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Polymorph seems really cool except for having to buy the Monster Manual to use it.

As far as greater invis, I would pick the rogue because sneak attacks are fun when they crit and the advantage gives them more opportunities to do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Greater Invis on Rogue is good because you can attack and BA hide in place so hat you can AoO Sneak Attack

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
made a magic item generator: http://tetra-cube.com/dnd/dnd-magic-items.html

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah polymorph is essentially Extreme Sports False Life for your Barbarian. Fun fact, most DMs will say your Barbarian's Rage, if activated in human form, persists in literal Beast Mode and thus effectively doubling that health bar unless they're secretly very angry that you're playing D&D correctly and trying to slow you down somehow.

This hadn't occurred to me and now I'm gonna wait until after our barbarian's first turn before I turn him into a T-Rex. (The one time I've used Polymorph and not turned him into a T-Rex was to turn him into a Huge Giant Crab (as opposed to a regular ol' giant crab (CR 1/8), and I'm wondering where the CR 16 Enormous Huge Giant Crab is) because we were on an underwater adventure.)

(My barbarian always makes me laugh in combat because his player is so polite: "I would like to rage.")

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Toshimo posted:

Greater Invis on Rogue is good because you can attack and BA hide in place so hat you can AoO Sneak Attack

You don’t need to hide to trigger Sneak Attack if you’ve got Greater Invisibility up. You already have a source of advantage from the invisibility.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

look at those tiny arms

adorable

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nickoten posted:

You don’t need to hide to trigger Sneak Attack if you’ve got Greater Invisibility up. You already have a source of advantage from the invisibility.

You hide to make them lose track of you so that they have to move.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nelson posted:

Polymorph seems really cool except for having to buy the Monster Manual to use it.

As far as greater invis, I would pick the rogue because sneak attacks are fun when they crit and the advantage gives them more opportunities to do that.

Lots of polymorph options are in the PHB.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bunch of content said to be in the new Eberron Setting Book. Originally from an interview, but Enworld cut them down into bullet points.

Really looking forward to this.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

This hadn't occurred to me and now I'm gonna wait until after our barbarian's first turn before I turn him into a T-Rex. (The one time I've used Polymorph and not turned him into a T-Rex was to turn him into a Huge Giant Crab (as opposed to a regular ol' giant crab (CR 1/8), and I'm wondering where the CR 16 Enormous Huge Giant Crab is) because we were on an underwater adventure.)

(My barbarian always makes me laugh in combat because his player is so polite: "I would like to rage.")

Best thing to do is wait until your frontline guy is low on health and then turn him into a T-Rex/Ape or whatever. Essentially acts as a combat full heal and combat buff, and ensures you aren't wasting the slot on an easy combat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lots of polymorph options are in the PHB.

Don't be disingenuous. Nothing over CR1 is in the PHB.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The new UA's look kind of cool, although the new Warlock patron screams "here, this should get Critical Role fans off our back."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CobiWann posted:

The new UA's look kind of cool, although the new Warlock patron screams "here, this should get Critical Role fans off our back."

True, but as someone who has been waiting for a chance to be an Innsmouth-ish cultist, Fathomless Soul is exactly what I want and stops be from having to eat up a bunch of invocation choices.

Not keen on the tentacle or spell choices vs GOO but I can Homebrew mash the two now that I have a framework.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Toshimo posted:

Bingo, being invisible doesn't mean they can't try to figure out where you are with an active/passive perception check.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Toshimo posted:

Oh I see what you’re saying. I guess if they lose track of you they may be more likely to trigger an attack of opportunity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Don't be disingenuous. Nothing over CR1 is in the PHB.

Wasn't. I thought there were some stronger things there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wasn't. I thought there were some stronger things there.

To be fair, it's really the DMs problem more than the player's. The character can use the spell to turn into anything they want - without predefined stats it's just going to be up to the DM to establish them.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Is there a rule against upscaling CR to player level for polymorph so you can get Monty Python's killer rabbit? Just reskin stat blocks into the form of a beast the character has seen before.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

Is there a rule against upscaling CR to player level for polymorph so you can get Monty Python's killer rabbit? Just reskin stat blocks into the form of a beast the character has seen before.

You can transform something into any beast of the appropriate CR. So if the DM wanted to make a CR 6 killer rabbit, that would be doable.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Huh,ok. Is there a quick guide / table for upscaling CR?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

clusterfuck posted:

Huh,ok. Is there a quick guide / table for upscaling CR?

There's one in the DMG. I'm not sure you'd find one using SRD content. Here's an article talking about the process.

https://dmdave.com/how-to-create-a-dd-monster-for-fifth-edition-in-15-minutes-or-less/

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I wish they kept the stupid Call Lightning/lightning immunity synergy from the original kraken patron draft. The addition of cold damage to all the lightning stuff is alright.

The UA sorcerer looks very fun to play, and it's nice to have a new psychic cantrip that doesn't ask the player to make some strained diss at the enemy every time they want to roll 1d4 psychic damage.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can transform something into any beast of the appropriate CR. So if the DM wanted to make a CR 6 killer rabbit, that would be doable.

I was sceptical but looked at the spell wording and don't see this usage of the spell explicitly forbidden.

"The new form can be any beast whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a Challenge rating)."
Becomes...
"I polymorph Kevin the raging barbarian into a CR 6 rabbit."
Outcome being...
Bunny of Caerbannor
AC 15 HP 146 Att +6 Bite 39 (5d12 +7) plus rage damage resistance (because polymorph says beast statistics are used but says nothing about conditions)

Yet googling doesn't find polymorph used in this way. So it's weird. I think I'd allow this as DM because it's potentially more creative than the conventional interpretation. Gotta say though the CR rules on DMG p274 are a little unwieldy for on the fly stat generation at first glance.

I like it, but this poo poo can't be right.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

clusterfuck posted:

I was sceptical but looked at the spell wording and don't see this usage of the spell explicitly forbidden.

"The new form can be any beast whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a Challenge rating)."
Becomes...
"I polymorph Kevin the raging barbarian into a CR 6 rabbit."
Outcome being...
Bunny of Caerbannor
AC 15 HP 146 Att +6 Bite 39 (5d12 +7) plus rage damage resistance (because polymorph says beast statistics are used but says nothing about conditions)

Yet googling doesn't find polymorph used in this way. So it's weird. I think I'd allow this as DM because it's potentially more creative than the conventional interpretation. Gotta say though the CR rules on DMG p274 are a little unwieldy for on the fly stat generation at first glance.

I like it, but this poo poo can't be right.

It's not the intent of the spell, which is 'pick a beast of the relevant CR, they're now that'.

But it's D&D as she is meant to be played. A simpler method would probably be reflavouring something, though, if you don't wanna make up stats on the fly.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I'm a believer!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

clusterfuck posted:

potentially more creative than the conventional interpretation.

clusterfuck posted:

Bunny of Caerbannor

First year of D&D: 1974
Release year of Holy Grail: 1975

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A friend is looking at starting Curse of Strahd next month and I am down for spooky town. Is the new version of the Artificer any good?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That will probably depend on who you ask. In my opinion? No. There were a few improvements from the previous version in the base class, primarily in how the get a magic item at certain levels thing works, but a huge step back on the archetype front. I feel like it is actively worse than the previous version.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
it's great if you compare it to rogue, fighter, barbarian etc, awful compared to a full caster.

e: also your capstone ability requires you to have access to six attuneable magic items

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 8, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The current Artificer depends on what level you're playing at. You can crank out pretty stupid damage with Arcane Weapon using a heavy crossbow (or gun, if your DM grants you access to that) which you can make +1 at level 2. Battlesmith gets Int to hit/damage and a pet that can do more damage than an offhand attack with a bonus action while you shoot. And then you have a shitload of utility between spells, the various goofy trinkets you can make, and having more tool proficiencies than anyone else in the game (which is actually awesome for skills, if you're using the tool proficiency rules in Xanathar's Guide).

It probably has the Rogue Problem at 10+, where your damage doesn't keep up with fully-kitted martials and full casters really start pulling ahead of everyone in terms of options.

Splicer posted:

e: also your capstone ability requires you to have access to six attuneable magic items

You can make 5 of them at a time for free yourself

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 8, 2019

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Don’t count on having access to resources in a Strahd game. What you bring from character creation is all you are guaranteed. Barovia ain’t Waterdeep.

nelson fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 8, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

nelson posted:

Don’t count on having access to resources in a Strahd game. What you bring from character creation is all you are guaranteed. Barovia ain’t Waterdeep.

Yeah this is a good point.

I'm looking at a variety of other options instead (Circle of Spores druid, Grave cleric, Horizon Walker ranger).

I just really want Artificer to be okay! And the archetype based around blowing things up with fire especially.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
You can probably just download a druid wildshape app to your phone for your polymorph beast lists, they should have most of the beasts you'd want

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok, anyone have some solid advice for thieves cant? I though my PCs would meet an NPC who was a former criminal turned into an informant for my PCs guild. My idea was, since he is an informant, he will greet them with a made up name which is a codename the PCs are given, then use thieves cant to express the situation briefly so the PCs will move from the front of the bar to a more secluded area to discuss business. The idea was something like "Codename is my name. Great to see you, "Did you see that restless fox outside?". Then the players can be told that an appropriate response is "Yes, it went for the eggs". Meaning I am the thief/informant, I am compromised." , "Understood, I am here to receive information/goods". I just want the language to be structured in such a way that the PCs know its lingo even if the Rogue is absent from the group and they can sort of understand it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dael Kingsmill has a pretty neat Thieves Cant setup that I think lends itself to people close to the Rogue being able to pick up a few things naturally.

This is the Homebrewery page for it. There's also a video but it's mostly all on this. The gist is that everything is sort of based on an undue familiarity. If you regard a person you've never met (usually with some small tell) like an old friend, and they respond in kind, you're saying some sneaky poo poo.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Midig posted:

Ok, anyone have some solid advice for thieves cant? I though my PCs would meet an NPC who was a former criminal turned into an informant for my PCs guild. My idea was, since he is an informant, he will greet them with a made up name which is a codename the PCs are given, then use thieves cant to express the situation briefly so the PCs will move from the front of the bar to a more secluded area to discuss business. The idea was something like "Codename is my name. Great to see you, "Did you see that restless fox outside?". Then the players can be told that an appropriate response is "Yes, it went for the eggs". Meaning I am the thief/informant, I am compromised." , "Understood, I am here to receive information/goods". I just want the language to be structured in such a way that the PCs know its lingo even if the Rogue is absent from the group and they can sort of understand it.

That’s not traditionally how thieves cant works, it’s supposed to be a way of dropping code (ie a second language) into mundane conversation that’s unnoticeable to those who don’t know it. I’d have them find a cypher or something if you want to use codes, you could have fun and make a real one for them to refer to.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Lies of Locke Lamora does thieves cant as a series of gestures and hand signals you can even use while having a normal verbal conversation or can hide while scratching / stretching. Maybe steal some ASL signs you can use as code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The important thing about Thieves' Cant is that you're communicating in a language you both know but in a way that others don't understand.

There's a scene in The Magicians where, in Not Narnia, two characters communicate entirely through pop culture references because no one else in earshot could possibly understand. Phone posting but hey ignore the title, I found it:

https://youtu.be/IXYRKI2mmQc

Thieves' Cant is that but it's rhyming slang, it's subtext underneath spoken word, it's puns that are only puns in other languages. And if and only if you're qualified, you can understand it in languages you know.