Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

el_caballo posted:

Any of you nerds using Unraid? I built a new desktop so the old one is becoming the new fileserver and now I've got a choice: either keep using Windows 10 or switch to something else.

I like the idea of Unraid but 80% of what I use my fileserver for is stupidly specific: getting old out of print movies to watch with drunk friends. So this means one of them will get a bug up their rear end and text me about Party Camp (1987) at 3 pm on a Wednesday. And I can fire up Splashtop (lifetime subscription) on my locked-down work mac or even my phone and remote into my Win 10 fileserver and do a NZBHydra search or look on several like-minded private tracker forums until I find a torrent file. Then I just throw the movie on Google Drive and at 5:30 I'm in my friend's 90-degree garage pounding warm Schlitz and watching 80s tits.

So can Unraid do that?

I know there's virtual machines and stuff, but does Unraid make any sense if I'm just going to have it run Win 10 for a browser and qBittorrent in a VM 100% of the time. Why not just run Win 10 at that point?

Right now my fileserver is running SAB + NZBHydra2 + Sonarr + Radarr + qBittorrent + Emby (mostly for the library stuff) + HaneWin NFS server + DrivePool + Splashtop + CrashPlan Backup + Google Drive.

I don't really care about parity and protecting all these awful lovely movies exactly but I do move stuff onto the fileserver to be a local backup and then mirror that to CrashPlan. I'll eventually start using DrivePool duplication if I stick with Windows.

Also I used to do poo poo like SSH tunnels and VNC but I was never 100% sure I had it locked down enough and it was kind of a pain in the rear end. I like Splashtop cuz it seems reasonably secure with 2-factor, has a mobile app, and I don't need to worry about static IP poo poo.

I mean... unraid is awesome for usenet crap but then you turn around and say you dont want any of the features it gives you so no I dont guess I would use unraid in your situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You can use all of that poo poo, eliminate splash top, and just you sonarr/radarr as your way of adding movies. You can also add OpenVPN for remote addition or set up ombi behind a reverse proxy with Let’s encrypt.

Everything unraid does is with docker and the web GUI is stupid simple to set up. It might take some time to set up but once you get it working it's set and forget.

You can also achieve 90 percent of this with Ubuntu or CentOS but since it look s like you like windows you probably won't want to go this route unless you like learning.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I guess I'm wondering about the VM part. I haven't hosed around with those much in general, so I'm not clear as to whether Unraid can keep a Win10 VM running 24/7 and accessible to either Splashtop or some other VNC thing and whether running that will gimp all the other docked apps. (Fileserver is a 4670k with 16 GB RAM and an ok SSD.)

Usenet isn't enough to find these stupid movies. Six times out of ten, I need to do searches on a couple private trackers. I just need either a remote browser and BitTorrent available all the time (which is my preferred choice) or I need some way to send torrent links through my phone and have some sort of GUI folder control over where those torrents go. Like maybe they go to my lovely Movies folder or maybe to my Google Drive folder, depending on the day.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 2, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

el_caballo posted:

I guess I'm wondering about the VM part. I haven't hosed around with those much in general, so I'm not clear as to whether Unraid can keep a Win10 VM running 24/7 and accessible to either Splashtop or some other VNC thing and whether running that will gimp all the other docked apps. (Fileserver is a 4670k with 16 GB RAM and an ok SSD.)

Usenet isn't enough to find these stupid movies. Six times out of ten, I need to do searches on a couple private trackers. I just need either a remote browser and BitTorrent available all the time (which is my preferred choice) or I need some way to send torrent links through my phone and have some sort of GUI folder control over where those torrents go. Like maybe they go to my lovely Movies folder or maybe to my Google Drive folder, depending on the day.

It can do that yes. It's using the same hyper visor major cloud platforms use(KVM).

Also you can add your private trackers to jackett and add them to radarr and never need to open splash top or even run a VM. You won't gimp anything unless Windows starts grinding a failed update or you're doing some kind of heavy usage stuff.

Cant help you on the last part with folder redirection.

You get a trial license if you want to play with unraid and see if it suits your needs.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
OK cool, thanks for Jackett. Hadn't heard of that one before. My old fileserver is still limping along so I can gently caress around with the new one for awhile and swap them once it's working. Even with a weekly reboot, poo poo like the SAB or Sonarr service will just either stop or never start in Windows and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious in the logs. I'm hoping something more server-y will be more set and forget.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I'm looking into moving from newsgroup ninja. Any recommendations?

a skeleton
Jul 29, 2004

Billa posted:

I'm looking into moving from newsgroup ninja. Any recommendations?

May I ask why? I switched from Supernews a while back and have been really happy with ninja, especially for the price.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

a skeleton posted:

May I ask why? I switched from Supernews a while back and have been really happy with ninja, especially for the price.

Just to try something new and flashy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Billa posted:

Just to try something new and flashy.

For something new and flashy you can try Giganews. No idea if they're the best, but they surely are the most expensive. Probably flashy too (better be for those $20/month). They'll make you RGB RAM blink while downloading.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Volguus posted:

For something new and flashy you can try Giganews. No idea if they're the best, but they surely are the most expensive. Probably flashy too (better be for those $20/month). They'll make you RGB RAM blink while downloading.

I had them for years before I switched to someone cheaper. Expensive and pretty poor working retention. But great website.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
If you're not having completion problems then I wouldnt move providers.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I just signed up for another provider because ~4/month is better than ~100/year; the cheap one has ~3 months to prove it's good enough until the year is up on the other one.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
As another data point, I also moved from giganews to Ninja (supplemented with a super cheap thundernews backup block) and it has been nothing short of excellent for my needs. I don't miss giganews at all.

All of the problems I thought I was having on Ninja were due to my own misunderstandings.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm still completely happy with my Newsdemon account that I'm paying less than $3 a month for. Granted, they did screw over a lot of their heavy users a while back, so I can see why people would be hesitant, but from Jan 2018 until now, I've downloaded 2.3 terabytes, and my backup Blocknews account only had to download 45mb of it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
In these days of obfuscated postings, the quality of your indexer matters far more than your Usenet service provider. My primary is Highwinds-based, but I almost never get failed downloads (even going back 2000 days, or more) because I have a good indexer.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The key to completion with ninja is not to use their geoip name. Set your primary server to the point nearest you then the other locations as backup

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Weird 4K ISO question.

I have an ISO that is 65GB. It's a documentary. When I look in the contents, there is only one real file, a 20GB file that is the movie. MakeMKV also agrees that there is one 20GB file.

What the heck is going on here? The entire contents of the ISO is less than a third of its download size.

e: I wonder if it's a UHD66 and I'm actually looking at an ISO full of blank data. As in, the entire disc was captured including the blank parts.

e2: I'm also not super clear on what SPOT format is...?

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I know this sounds like a stupid question but:

For the love of me I can't find the option to make NZBGet not start when starting Windows. How can I disable it?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Billa posted:

I know this sounds like a stupid question but:

For the love of me I can't find the option to make NZBGet not start when starting Windows. How can I disable it?

Did you install the service? Either check here https://nzbget.net/installation-on-windows or just go to Start, services.msc, look for nzbget there and change startup type to disabled.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Now that I can download files on my iPad is there any way to get sabnzbd working or am I stuck with easynews?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Getting a bunch of these messages lately. I'm wondering if I have some nzb site setup with an old API key somewhere that I've forgotten about.

9 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 162.210.250.170>??
9 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 162.210.250.170>??
11 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 196.44.67.172>??
12 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 104.237.227.211>??
12 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 104.237.227.211>??
17 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 180.253.89.40>??
17 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 180.253.89.40>??

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EC posted:

Getting a bunch of these messages lately. I'm wondering if I have some nzb site setup with an old API key somewhere that I've forgotten about.

11 hours ago API key missing, please enter the API key from Config->General into your 3rd party program: 196.44.67.172>??

That looks more like your setup is exposed to the internet and multiple people are trying to access it but since they don't have your API key, it's throwing an error.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK so going into the new TV season, I kind of want to change up how I get my shows. A lot of them I have a tag attached for AMZN which means the release has to have .AMZN. in it as I find these are the cleanest/highest quality versions. However, the turnaround is often a day or two (sometimes longer), and I find myself manually grabbing something if I want it sooner. So now I don't have a bandwidth cap, ideally I'd like the 720p/1080p TV version (as weirdly 1080p seemed a bit scant this week for some) that usually appears within an hour or so, then replace with the AMZN when that's out. Obviously if it was just straightforward WEB versions, I can just use priority stacking but I'm going to be relying on keywords here.

I have the v3 Sonarr so I think this is doable with Release Profiles, but haven't had any experience with that. Anyone got something similar running? It looks like it uses weight, so maybe a weight for WEB (again, preferable to HDTV), then a higher one for AMZN/NF/ITUNES?

e: sweet, it looks like this does exactly what I want it to at first glance. I made a profile allowing HDTV 720P, HDTV 1080P and WEB 1080P then made a Release Profile named 'webscore' that I add to all my continuing shows, that then scores the web releases based on their tags of AMZN, NF, ITUNES. It might need some refining, and it doesn't help that some groups just use .WEB. when I can tell from the filesize it's not some crappy channel service, but this seems cool. The only thing I'd like to do is hold back on grabbing a 720P HDTV source for 30 minutes in case the 1080P follows straight away, but eh.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2019

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Here's what I use. HEVC > x264, multi channel audio > stereo, preference for AMZN is the basic premise. Works well, you can mess around with weights, just realize they all add up in the match so you might get a x264 replace HEVC if it has multi channel audio too. Check some download filenames to get an idea for what you usually find. In practice it does replace downloads after the initial hit, and with that can also update the quality from 720 to 1080 even if it hit the quality limit in the profile.

https://imgur.com/6ORBfKC

Decairn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 27, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, thanks for sharing your settings. I tend to get h264 stuff (non-4K) as archive once I've watched a show, but I don't tend to automate that much but maybe I can experiment with that too. I can't remember if grabbing 4K stuff within Sonarr has been particularly successful, so I'll have to look into that the next time a streaming network drops something I want in highest quality.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does anybody actually release TV shows in HEVC other than anime?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HEVC/H265 is complicated as there's no real scene groups doing it for FHD direct from sources on week by week basis to my knowledge. Instead you get a mixed bag of re-encodes of season packs from lossy places, to direct blu-ray to HEVC rips by people who know what they're doing. I've seen good and bad, hence why I tend to do this by hand and check through.

For examples, I have all 6 seasons of Community in 1080p HEVC that comes in at 60gb or so. It uses the Amazon H264 sources that for 1 season alone come in at 58gb. So while I'd rather it be done from disc to save possibly more space and be of a bit better quality, I can live with that. I'm on my third season of rewatching and it's been fine.

I have all of The Office that comes in at about 25gb at 720p. What I checked again seemed fine at first glance, the hard disk use is tiny compared to either Amazon 1080p h264 and it's probably not a huge shift in quality. I'm not going to A/B it as I'm sure I'll then be spotting the flaws. 720p for archival comedy to me is perfect.

I saw an encode of Review and it was just not good, and almost nausea inducing as there's a lot of shaky cam and it just couldn't keep up with it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw an encode of Review and it was just not good, and almost nausea inducing as there's a lot of shaky cam and it just couldn't keep up with it.

Sounds as bad as when I tried to watch it via the Comedy Central website. :barf:

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody actually release TV shows in HEVC other than anime?

I'm seeing quite a few recently. MeGusta, Vyndros and TrollHD release sources. I'm not that critical on whether those are quality or not, they play just fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enos Cabell posted:

Sounds as bad as when I tried to watch it via the Comedy Central website. :barf:

I wonder if that’s the source and the issue was hereditary.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
mod edit: do not talk about specific content, as per the OP

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I haven't noticed anything different. All of the new seasons first episodes seems to have downloaded successfully over the last few days.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Just checked, and I've had zero failures or re-grabs in the last 30 days, outside of the normal release upgrades that Sonarr and Radarr do. It's either your provider, or something with your setup.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I've had a lot of failures lately as I've moved my 4K movies to a different drive and started grabbing 1080p versions for my remote plex users, some movies took several tries and searches before I was able to grab a version that didn't fail to complete.

I use newshosting as my provider and NBZGeek as my indexer.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Slash posted:

I haven't noticed anything different. All of the new seasons first episodes seems to have downloaded successfully over the last few days.

PitViper posted:

Just checked, and I've had zero failures or re-grabs in the last 30 days, outside of the normal release upgrades that Sonarr and Radarr do. It's either your provider, or something with your setup.

May I ask what usenet provider and indexer you two are using?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Usenet providers. That's the key thing, covering several bases.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sonarr grabbing h264 files and then upon completion immediately replacing it with a h265 file is somehow more infuriating than back when I had no h265 compatible devices and it was only grabbing h265 files.

like, just grab the h265 file first like you used to, idiot.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Tapedump posted:

Usenet providers. That's the key thing, covering several bases.

Here's the ones I have setup in Sonarr:

abnzb

drunkenslug

miatrix.com

nzb.is

nzbplanet.net

https://www.usenet-crawler.com

are there any good ones I should be using? It's sometimes hard to keep up with what's good :shobon:

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

May I ask what usenet provider and indexer you two are using?

Frugal Usenet is my Provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Here's the ones I have setup in Sonarr:
They're not saying indexers, they're saying providers. The ones you have set up in SAB/NZBGet. If every post of what you're looking for has been deleted from your provider it doesn't matter how many indexers you have.

The general recommendation with those has been to have an unlimited account from one of the major networks as your primary feed and to augment that with block accounts from one or more additional networks.