Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, this story seems pretty funny because either 1) this undercover officer was dumb enough to think he wouldn't be attacked by his fellow officers, OR 2) his 'friends' knew he was undercover and still beat the poo poo out of him anyway

It's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LitAnscombe/status/1170007427745497088

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wouldn't all of those things be sociology

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

NO! Sociology is squishy liberal science for girls!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
in the internet skeptic realm evolutilnary psychology is just usually extremely reductive gender essentialism

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I’m the evolutionary origins of online gaming

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Epic High Five posted:

Let's not commit sociology here.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

All of those things make me very skeptical. :thunk:

Zeroisanumber posted:

NO! Sociology is squishy liberal science for girls!

of course sociology is the one that's an actual science and "evolutionary psychology" is the pseudoscience designed to reinforce cultural biases but don't tell the stem nerds that

turd in my singlet has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Sep 7, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wasn't sociology invented pretty much to explain the uptick in suicides accompanying the industrial revolution?
To be clear, evo psych is still bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I legit wonder how long until a white cop shoots an off duty black cop. I bet the Blue Lives Matter crowd would have some enlightening things to say on this matter.

Watch when it happens the black cop will of a superior rank then the white cop too.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

https://xplorewithjamespeter.com/concept-creep-and-the-policing-of-words/

lol this appears to be one of the articles Skeptic magazine "factchecked." The premise of the piece is the Orwellian British PC police are coming for you, but it curiously lacks a single example of any bigots being charged with anything...

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh my sweet summer child.

Nothing will happen. The injured black officer is in danger of losing his home because he hasn’t been properly paid while on leave from his injury despite most cops being paid out from their pension automatically. Said white cop who shot him after being told he was a cop by other cops apparently still works there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsma...8kGSr-uM-uIXQA/

Oh and a fundraiser was launched by the police union. For Chris Tanner, the guy who shot him.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Sep 7, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

On a more lighthearted note lol:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ChristsDickWorship posted:

https://xplorewithjamespeter.com/concept-creep-and-the-policing-of-words/

lol this appears to be one of the articles Skeptic magazine "factchecked." The premise of the piece is the Orwellian British PC police are coming for you, but it curiously lacks a single example of any bigots being charged with anything...

This happened at Lindsey Sheppard's court case, my MP questioned her and straight up asked "has anyone ever been prosecuted unfairly under Canada's hate speech laws?" and she couldn't site a single example, but her entire case was about how the evil PC police are going to show up and toss you in a gulag if you say anything that doesn't conform to Big Left's world view. But then it is a hallmark of RW shitheads to pretend that being criticized is the same as censorship.

Is this Jordan Peterson? he was running around going "Wynn is the most dangerous woman in Canada! $15 Minimum wage and attempting to curb Toronto housing prices are literally what Stalin did!"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Is this Jordan Peterson? he was running around going "Wynn is the most dangerous woman in Canada! $15 Minimum wage and attempting to curb Toronto housing prices are literally what Stalin did!"

I think the "Wynn" is contrapoints, not whoever you're talking about

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Jeep posted:

I think the "Wynn" is contrapoints, not whoever you're talking about

Kathleen Wynn, Former Premier of Ontario, until we got our discount Trump in Dougie Ford.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah no, it's contrapoints unless your former PM is a youtuber who does content about trans issues

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah no, it's contrapoints unless your former PM is a youtuber who does content about trans issues

it can't be contrapoints, the national review is referring to her with female pronouns

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it can't be contrapoints, the national review is referring to her with female pronouns

It's mostly just them trying to make a wedge between her and other trans people because of stupid drama poo poo that happened recently.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

It's mostly just them trying to make a wedge between her and other trans people because of stupid drama poo poo that happened recently.
Specifically, she said some tactless poo poo about having to deal with non-binary trans people and pronouns, and was hounded off Twitter for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Nothing will happen. The injured black officer is in danger of losing his home because he hasn’t been properly paid while on leave from his injury despite most cops being paid out from their pension automatically. Said white cop who shot him after being told he was a cop by other cops apparently still works there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsma...8kGSr-uM-uIXQA/

Oh and a fundraiser was launched by the police union. For Chris Tanner, the guy who shot him.

When I went to a protest against a police event trying to recruit LGBT people in Toronto's "gay village" area, people kept saying "no no no you can join and change the organization from within"

actually no you can't, kapos get sent to the ovens in the end alongside those they betrayed

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

this is the leftist equivalent of gamers mad about the fairy crotch pixels

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/renegadecut/status/1170478900176150528

Renegade Cut has been killing it lately

I love his take down of the Frank Grimes simpsons episode as being a bullshit conservative fantasy of what a Normal Person is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
what the frank grimes episode itself was a parody of the fact homer wasn’t really a normal person.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It leans a bit too heavily into Ray Kurtzwelder being right wing and Frank Grimes being an idealized right wing self-image, without recognizing that Frank Grimes is so obsessed with the notion of meritocracy that he'd rather kill himself than live with Homer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

what the frank grimes episode itself was a parody of the fact homer wasn’t really a normal person.

Hmmm perhaps then the video is talking about another character in the episode.

Just a thought.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
who frank grimes? he isn’t really talked about much as the episode focuses mainly on poking fun at how outlandish Homer had become

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The secret is that Frank Grimes is a cartoonishly-exaggerated "regular hard-working guy" to serve as a humorous contrast to Homer. There's no secret ideological plot involved.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

IIRC Kurtzwelder's philosophy on writing for Homer is that Homer should be written like a dog, so Frank Grimes getting mad at Homer is like getting mad at dogs for following their nature. Saying "the episode frames Homer as a monster" is misrepresenting the tone of the episode to support the thesis, because Homer is completely innocent throughout the whole thing. The only thing he's guilty of is being oblivious - LIKE A DOG. :sad:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CharlestheHammer posted:

who frank grimes? he isn’t really talked about much as the episode focuses mainly on poking fun at how outlandish Homer had become

Heh heh heh, you wish!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

yeah calling Homer a monster is pretty insane. Nothing he does is malicious and he try’s his best and fails. Frank is honestly a bit of a jerk if anyone of you want to do an esoteric reading

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
let's not forget the true proletarian heroes, lenny and carl

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The incel Frank (do hookers count?) vs the chad Homer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

let's not forget the true proletarian heroes, lenny and carl
Lenny and Carl were members of an elitist shadowy cabal before homer ever was and one that excluded him outright

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
*Uses inhaler deeply*

Frank Grimes represents an inversion of what the Horatio Alger stereotype: a plucky kid at first appears to work his way from rags to riches, but in reality is lifted up by a rich patron. Frank is first noticed by Mr. Burns, but rather than being lifted into the lap of luxury is instead just consigned to the purgatory of a job in the plant alongside the regular cast. There, he quickly grows to resent the actual Alger archetype, Homer, who despite being utterly unqualified to do anything at all, nevertheless fell into the sort of job Frank had to work insanely hard to even get as a gift, [sub][sub]futhermore...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1170494174547849219

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i always got the impression that homer was supposed to be the bad guy for that episode.

like yeah, he's oblivious and he's not intentionally trying to get frank mad, but homer's very existence (as he is in that episode) goes against everything frank stands for and what he's been raised to believe.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I read somewhere that doping HGH can make your skull grow, but it takes a lot of the poo poo. could be they're just hideous mutants. what are they putting in the water over there.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

I read somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Interweb posted:

i always got the impression that homer was supposed to be the bad guy for that episode.

like yeah, he's oblivious and he's not intentionally trying to get frank mad, but homer's very existence (as he is in that episode) goes against everything frank stands for and what he's been raised to believe.
I'm pretty sure the writers have said the episode was meant to explore what would happen if an ordinary person (from our world, say) found themselves in the Simpsons universe and had to deal with its ridiculousness and Homer's immunity to consequences.

And the answer was "he'd quickly have a mental breakdown and kill himself"