Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

the referendum was about brexit

what isn't nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well, brexit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

everything is about brexit, except brexit. brexit is about power.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
pretty sure brexit means brexit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

power word- Jeb! posted:

pretty sure brexit means brexit

arithmetic or geometric mean????

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol boris wanted an early election to ride into a hard brexit and then radically transform the uk into a libertarian hedge fund tax haven, instead hes going to have his hard brexit and then fight an election while food and petrol riots are in full swing, and also just as pensioners start to drop dead as their medications stop being imported

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Trashman posted:

this is almost as good as the guy who tried to tell us actually the Europeans really like the British lol

i mean they had a chance before and bitched out

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

lol boris wanted an early election to ride into a hard brexit and then radically transform the uk into a libertarian hedge fund tax haven, instead hes going to have his hard brexit and then fight an election while food and petrol riots are in full swing, and also just as pensioners start to drop dead as their medications stop being imported

a libertarian hedge fund tax haven and food/petroleum riots with dead pensioners aren't mutually exclusive

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Squizzle posted:

arithmetic or geometric mean????

geometric because britain's gonna get rooted

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Imagine having confidence in that sordid assembly.
no-one said they had any confidence on them to actually do it right, mr reading comprehension

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you mean "the house of commons could in theory be a really representative body which gave tailored feedback on what each constituency wanted on an ongoing basis" then yeah, in the same way that an adjustable spanner could theoretically be used as a wheel if you put a wheel around it, and didn't want to use it as a spanner.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/DelythJewellAM/status/1170316319788589057?s=19

There's been a Welsh independence rally every week for four weeks now. They're getting pretty big

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ceremonial in America does not mean "has powers that if exercised would surely be revoked, has screwed with multiple other nation's governance in living memory, is required for the legal formation of a bunch of other nation's governments, owns all the swans, and is literally the sovereign" it means "has no power despite having a title" you can see how the subtle nuances might trip us up.

Doesn't the crown also still own all beached whales and any sturgeon that are caught? Pretty sweet gig they've got, smoked sturgeon rules.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wales had a kind of learned helplessness thing going on after like a thousand years of being basically part of England so I'm glad they are finally realising it doesn't have to be this way.

Although Brexit being the trigger is pretty funny when Wales voted for Brexit but I'm going to blame that on all the English racists who retire there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's gonna rule when Wales gets independence before Scotland or N Ireland.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Just let England exit the United Kingdom as a new country, so it's only Scottland and Wales which can then revoke Article 50.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On the other hand every Welsh person I've met IRL was really racist so maybe I shouldn't let them off the hook for voting Brexit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/DelythJewellAM/status/1170316319788589057?s=19

There's been a Welsh independence rally every week for four weeks now. They're getting pretty big

INSURRECTION

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Owen Glendowe did nothing wrong

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ceremonial in America does not mean "has powers that if exercised would surely be revoked, has screwed with multiple other nation's governance in living memory, is required for the legal formation of a bunch of other nation's governments, owns all the swans, and is literally the sovereign" it means "has no power despite having a title" you can see how the subtle nuances might trip us up.

People are just tired of Americans coming into this thread and doing their "whoa look at these inscrutable Brits" spiel every second post. the concept of royal fish and birds is not hard to grasp nor unusual. Many sovereigns used to have them like the medieval kings of Denmark, Skeletor or the dukes of Normandy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Myron Baloney posted:

Doesn't the crown also still own all beached whales and any sturgeon that are caught? Pretty sweet gig they've got, smoked sturgeon rules.

yeah that's why she's such an ardent scottish nationalist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

People are just tired of Americans coming into this thread and doing their "whoa look at these inscrutable Brits" spiel every second post. the concept of royal fish and birds is not hard to grasp nor unusual. Many sovereigns used to have them like the medieval kings of Denmark, Skeletor or the dukes of Normandy.

It's inscrutable to us that anyone would choose not to be a republic already.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
look theres a very simple solution to this argument and it involves some lumber a sharp blade

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we're very intentionally not given a choice and violent revolution is gauche nowadays

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You created us, this is your punishment.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

violent revolution is gauche

good thing you're brexiting to rid yourselves of such french notions

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/RedWizza/status/1170109409382535168

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

Boris Johnson was elected over his more moderate rival, Jeremy Hunt, with 93,000 votes out of a turnout of just 150,000—all that remains of a Conservative Party that was once 3m strong. More than half are over 55 years old, 70% are men, 97% are white and, as a group, they have far more authoritarian and Eurosceptic views than the population at large.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look theres a very simple solution to this argument and it involves some lumber a sharp blade

ah, the axe, the very symbol of noble execution :geno:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's me, i'm the guy who thinks nation states act rationally

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

republics predate nation states :eng101:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
brexit

https://twitter.com/JeyyLowe/status/1170396514759380993

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

For someone who told me to not post here, you sure seem like a guy who got lost and thinks he's in the UKMT thread lol.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This all could've been avoided if Napoleon had invaded perfidious Albion and burned the Magna Carta or whatever

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hentai Jihadist posted:

we're very intentionally not given a choice and violent revolution is gauche nowadays

Actually, the people voted for pain.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MikeCrotch posted:

The leaders of all parties agreed that leave winning would mean invoking article 50

Also the EU said that no negotiations of any kind would take place until A50 was passed

honestly the big takeaway of this whole thing is how strong and good at this the eu is

its unbelievable that "we will get better trade deals outside the eu" is still an argument

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

poty posted:

honestly the big takeaway of this whole thing is how strong and good at this the eu is

the EU isn't particularly good at anything, it's just that they have all the leverage and the UK has none. Tories insisting they can still dictate terms or use "powers of persuasion" to trick EU bureaucrats into giving up the goat, is just a weak bluff because they've bluffed their whole way through life and don't know how to do anything else.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

actually whitexit and bluexit could be quite good

blexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This all could've been avoided if Napoleon had invaded perfidious Albion and burned the Magna Carta or whatever

burn the horsehair chair back when it was horsehair so no one will ever return to Parliament