Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In the comics he was trying to impress Death, who was a big titty skeleton lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/maninblack2017/status/1170103819855900672

in fact this person's whole timeline is gold

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jonathan Fisk posted:

if only rwandans had guns

The Rwandan genocide was only stopped because Tutsi militias marshaled against it and drove the genocidaires into Congo.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yes

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:stare: I noticed the 352 area code in Joe's profile, and then saw his location. If real, he lives somewhere in the same town as me. :stare:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zipperelli. posted:

:stare: I noticed the 352 area code in Joe's profile, and then saw his location. If real, he lives somewhere in the same town as me. :stare:

Wasn't there some PKD novel about some lovely future where you had to put money into common appliances and like, doors to be able to use them? This seems like it would fit in there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zeroisanumber posted:

In the comics he was trying to impress Death, who was a big titty skeleton lady.

That would have made a lot more sense

pdog
May 7, 2013

that’s the great fire of London, famously caused by all those things

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wasn't there some PKD novel about some lovely future where you had to put money into common appliances and like, doors to be able to use them? This seems like it would fit in there

This was the establishing phase of UBIK where the protagonist was so broke he had trouble leaving his own apartment.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pdog posted:

that’s the great fire of London, famously caused by all those things

the roman empire was on short notice because nobody had even invented books yet

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

they fuckin reference that the first time Thanos is in a movie (the first avengers movie? i can't remember). Some guy goes "humans are tougher than we thought! To fight them is to court death!!" and Thanos gets this big grin on his face. Then they changed his motivation to some malthusian poo poo.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx2SSzWXG7U

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Sep 7, 2019

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Marvel was too afraid to make Thanos kill half the universe to impress his goth girlfriend because it would have been too real

If they went with the ending to the comics, which has Thanos lose because of self-loathing and subconsciously sabotaging himself, it would have reached Joker levels of dangerous

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

a better and more believable motivation

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

barf, what smuggos

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Serf posted:

a better and more believable motivation

Disney is 100% afraid of any portrayal of sex and sexuality, though, so it would never make it through.

Which probably makes the fact that they now own Alien more alarming

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
they don’t want to do the death thing because it would isolate the nice guy demographic

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

dreamworks face models

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Disney is 100% afraid of any portrayal of sex and sexuality, though, so it would never make it through.
Disney literally told Kristen Stewart she could have a Marvel movie lead role (likely Captain Marvel) if she'd just tone down the whole "being gay and having a girlfriend" thing.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Thanos cums on Death’s titties does it kill his sperm?

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

If Thanos cums on Death’s titties does it kill his sperm?

death would never let him, she eternally cucks him and it is hilarious.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Zeroisanumber posted:

They couldn't include that because Fox still owned Deadpool

See, Thanos tried to impress Death, but She found Deadpool to be more interesting.

So Thanos somehow cursed Deadpool to never die? It's odd at best.

stringless has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Sep 7, 2019

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Disney literally told Kristen Stewart she could have a Marvel movie lead role (likely Captain Marvel) if she'd just tone down the whole "being gay and having a girlfriend" thing.

:eyepop:

Wow, I hadn't even heard about that one. It's entirely believable, though; this is a corporation that has like a laundry list of rules that every employee has to abide by ("no chewing gum", "all male employees must be clean-shaven", "cleavage is to be minimalized", etc.) on the red carpet to their own premieres, which like no other studio has ever bothered with beyond "black-tie event, make sure you rent a tux/dress if you need to and it's not, like, wrinkled and poo poo, you can expense it if you want".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

But it's also a problem with the writing that this is never the reason why Thanos is supposed to be bad - the Avengers want to stop him because he's going to kill lots of people, and specifically people they care about, except he's written in such a way that presumes that the plan sounds kinda reasonable if only you could "get over" the immense human cost and thought about some notion of a greater good, which is why we get so many "Thanos had a point" dipshits.

To be fair, the writing kinda-sorta acknowledges this in the sequel where Thanos immediately is like "people weren't grateful...guess I was wrong and I was supposed to kill everyone instead of just half!" So I think the audience is supposed to realize that he's a lunatic and there was never any logic to his plan (though the writing also pointlessly confuses the situation by throwing in the "Thanos fixed Titan by killing half of its people" part).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
https://twitter.com/irvinewaylon/status/1170372927696625664?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that take goes back decades online, probably centuries irl

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Krankenstyle posted:

i mean its basically pascal's wager

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pascal's wager is the opposite - you can be moral without God, but what if your morality doesn't matter if you don't believe in God?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Krankenstyle posted:

It almost definitely came up in contemporary analyses of the french revolution

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

steinrokkan posted:

Pascal's wager is the opposite - you can be moral without God, but what if your morality doesn't matter if you don't believe in God?

i was gonna append with 'but way stupider' but felt like that was implied because its praeger u. but, yeah fair enough.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Kant's whole philosophical project was essentially building a moral system that didn't rely on God, and that was way back in the day

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
christians admitting theyd be raping and murdering nonstop without the bible is a lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/mike_puterbaugh/status/1170489514957123585

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, the writing kinda-sorta acknowledges this in the sequel where Thanos immediately is like "people weren't grateful...guess I was wrong and I was supposed to kill everyone instead of just half!" So I think the audience is supposed to realize that he's a lunatic and there was never any logic to his plan (though the writing also pointlessly confuses the situation by throwing in the "Thanos fixed Titan by killing half of its people" part).

yeah, Endgame eventually explicitly makes him out to be capital-E Evil, but we still got years of "hmm maybe Thanos had a point" horseshit from Infinity War trying to sell his perspective

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

(though the writing also pointlessly confuses the situation by throwing in the "Thanos fixed Titan by killing half of its people" part).

He didnt tho? Like titan is a totally desolate wreck, and thanos just rants about how it was because they didnt listen to him.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Krankenstyle posted:

People thought that Nietzsche was a nihilist even though "nihilism" was like his greatest enemy lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blast of Confetti posted:

christians admitting theyd be raping and murdering nonstop without the bible is a lol

those are scary as hell & i hope they never lose faith

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

steinrokkan posted:

Pascals wager is also deliberately bullshit because Pascal was freaking out about the limits of human reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah, Endgame eventually explicitly makes him out to be capital-E Evil, but we still got years of "hmm maybe Thanos had a point" horseshit from Infinity War trying to sell his perspective

2018 was last year.