Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Cool radio, I fondled it at the fest :gay: any plans for an antenna?

I still need to get some sort of VHF/UHF rig in the house. Right now i'm looking at ic-706mkiig's since it will be useful even if I get a ic-9700 or something cool down the road. I'm looking into building a tripod mounted satellite tracker for the next project. Besides getting my station from trash to decent level (Johnny gonna help me with that I hope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nabokoffin posted:

Cool radio, I fondled it at the fest :gay: any plans for an antenna?

I have one! It's hard to see in the photo, but I have a 40m hamstick mounted on my balcony. So far I've been receiving CW and phone signals from up to a few states away which isn't half bad!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I've finally decided to get a ham radio license (hi Jonny :wave:, the Z-Cast belatedly inspired me (I was the guy constantly complaining about being in a basement apartment in a valley, and I still am, so I'm just going to do handhelds for now)). I've run through both the Technician and General exam questions on hamstudy.org and I'm feeling pretty confident that I at least know where/how to study for my weak areas... except for questions related to antenna theory/design which I have pretty much no background in. Does anyone have any good, beginner-oriented (and preferably free :v:) resources I could use to study up on antennas, at least to the level of proficiency needed for the General exam?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Before the exam, cram cram cram, don't worry too much about actually learning anything but maybe take notes for later. I remember the General having stuff about atmospheric layers and propagation that caught me up in particular.

For after the exam, I've found the most useful stuff to be in books:
- ARRL antenna book is pretty much the benchmark for antenna information. Worth checking if there's a library nearby that carries it. It doesn't change much between editions.
- I really like Practical Antenna Handbook (Carr/Hippisley), it has things neatly divided into sections by antenna type and also includes gif information about actually hooking things up, grounding, diagnosis methods and tools. I actually like this one more than the ARRL antenna book.
- I think there's also an ARRL "antennas for small spaces" that's supposed to be good? I've heard the catch is that "small spaces" is relative and just means anything that isn't traditionally measured in acres.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

I have one! It's hard to see in the photo, but I have a 40m hamstick mounted on my balcony. So far I've been receiving CW and phone signals from up to a few states away which isn't half bad!

Those look pretty neat, I might grab one for a portable/camping kit. I'm also now on 40m's and all the other bands, although not very well. Put up the CHA-250b, its pretty conspicuous. I'm sure the neighbors hate it. Nice living in a place with no HOA though.

It's also coming down soon, It's not quite a safe distance away from a couple of electrical supplies to the neighbor's and our house. I think I'll put a Diamond X300A on the mast and also use it as a tie off for a long wire type deal to the tree in the back.

If anyone wants to try some 40m SSB tonight or tomorrow let me know :)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Nabokoffin posted:

Those look pretty neat, I might grab one for a portable/camping kit. I'm also now on 40m's and all the other bands, although not very well. Put up the CHA-250b, its It's also coming down soon, It's not quite a safe distance away from a couple of electrical supplies to the neighbor's and our house. I think I'll put a Diamond X300A on the mast and also use it as a tie off for a long wire type deal to the tree in the back.

If anyone wants to try some 40m SSB tonight or tomorrow let me know :)

Diamond X300 crew for lyfe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I should just run a rotating savings account to buy new icom rigs

IC-705 to be announced this weekend

10 watts, hf+6+2m+70cm

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

I should just run a rotating savings account to buy new icom rigs

IC-705 to be announced this weekend

10 watts, hf+6+2m+70cm

What am I even looking at here?

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

mycomancy posted:

I believe you are looking at Icom's answer to the Elecraft KX3 transciever, a portable powerhouse of an HF radio
https://elecraft.com/products/kx3-all-mode-160-6-m-transceiver

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mycomancy posted:

A non-cult version of an Elecraft KX-3 that already has all of the options.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Here's the PDF from Tokyo Ham Fair:

https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/newsFile/IC-705_Tokyo_Hamfair.pdf

And a translated page from Hamlife.jp:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hamlife.jp%2F2019%2F08%2F31%2Ficom-ic705-release%2F

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hm, so it's probably gonna cost about the same as a Yaesu FT-991A with 1/10th the wattage output?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
And much smaller. The IC-705 is a portable boy, and it's going to sell like hell.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I thought the radios were intentionally large so you have room to repair them

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Any word on price?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Got my outside antenna cabled in to my desk. Finally I can call this a shack of sorts, complete with beer and burrito

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 1, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mycomancy posted:

Hm, so it's probably gonna cost about the same as a Yaesu FT-991A with 1/10th the wattage output?

Yeah, that's how qrp rigs work. you're paying for miniaturization and portability in place of PEP. Besides, think about hucking a 991 around on a backpacking trip with enough batteries to run it for more than five minutes at 100 watts. It's gross. People try, then they fail, and then they buy a purpose-built QRP rig.

this isn't made to be a shack centerpiece, it's meant to live in a Jansport alongside a hunk of wire and a logbook for your day hike.

Pimblor posted:

Any word on price?

My pessimistic guess, being a 7300+9700 koolaid drinker, is $1499. I've already heard rumblings that I might be high, though. If it comes in anywhere below 1200 bucks i'll be amazed.

(my 9700 guess was $2500 and placed my preorder at $2099, HRO ended up knocking it down to 1899 because i prepaid on release day)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
705 flyer translation is out

https://twitter.com/JO1NLP/status/1168148315419987968

further thoughts:

- rumors that theyre shooting for ~100k yen price. A thousand bucks would be an amazing deal.
- Sounds like no internal tuner, which sucks, but I have a lil qrp tuner, i won't die.
- compatibility with ID-51 and ID-31 batteries may cause me to buy into that ecosystem too
- General coverage RX up through 2 meters means that it'll be your am and fm broadcast camp rig too, nice. Hopefully they're wise enough to stretch VHF RX through 162 mhz for NOAA weather, fatal flaw in the 817 in my opinion.
- i'm buying the drat backpack for this one. I've been hunting for the 703 backpack for a year now and they are extremely expensive.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 2, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Hopefully they're wise enough to stretch VHF RX through 162 mhz for NOAA weather, fatal flaw in the 817 in my opinion.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If Yaesu couldn't be bothered to fix that after 17 years (or whatever) of people complaining then Icom probably won't either.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
wow time to dumpster this kx3 with no 2m lol

ickna
May 19, 2004

Pimblor posted:

Yeah I am contemplating selling off mine too. I will probably wait and see what the hands-on reviews are like before I make that call. Not to say I haven’t loved my KX3 but it would be great to ditch the external waterfall and the LCD digit screen for something a little more compact.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Pimblor posted:

i have 2m on mine :smug:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Time to dumpster my kx3 without a waterfall lol

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

manero posted:

Time to dumpster my kx3 without a waterfall lol

why dont you have IQ out and into a 192 khz usb soundcard and set it up in whatever software you use?

Its not very portable but it works.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

i have 2m on mine :smug:

I didn’t see the point since the last time I looked it wouldn’t do tones. Maybe for transverter operation but moonbounce isn’t my thing. Plus I have an FT-817nd.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

why dont you have IQ out and into a 192 khz usb soundcard and set it up in whatever software you use?

Its not very portable but it works.

I do, I'm mainly makin' jokes. But lugging around all that junk and a laptop to a park kinda stinks.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

manero posted:

I do, I'm mainly makin' jokes. But lugging around all that junk and a laptop to a park kinda stinks.

i was tempted to buy waterfall panadapter to kx3 but thatte price + import fees :eyepop:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

i was tempted to buy waterfall panadapter to kx3 but thatte price + import fees :eyepop:

Honestly I'd love to have the PX3 and the amp, but oh man that price. I could sell off my TS-590S and get the amp pretty easily, but there are a few things I wish the KX3 had, like manually-adjustable notch filter in SSB mode.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i had set up patch antenna + modded octagon lnb and external ref signal from a thunderbolt e when i discovered that thunderbolt requires 24v. :negative:

It was quite good at picking up gsm tho :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Big Mackson posted:

i had set up patch antenna + modded octagon lnb and external ref signal from a thunderbolt e when i discovered that thunderbolt requires 24v. :negative:

It was quite good at picking up gsm tho :/

Now i had to pick up a new biastee since it broke when i was gonna test things after getting a power supply to thunderbolt :negative:

Why do everything conspire against me?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Passed my general exam :toot:

Also swung for extra since I was there anyway, and only missed it by 3 questions. I'll try again in a couple months!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Oh wow, congrats! I remember being able to get tech+general in one trip after studying for both. They offered the extra and I said sure for kicks. Ended up just returning the exam completely blank because I couldn't even understand most of the questions. Eventually came back and aced it about a year later, after 3-4 weeks studying whenever I had spare time

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

High five general buddy

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Passed my tech + general yesterday! Now to F5 the ULS until my license shows up :f5: (yes, I know it will take about a week)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Passed my tech + general yesterday! Now to F5 the ULS until my license shows up :f5: (yes, I know it will take about a week)

Grats, you can now look forward to spend all your money and end up homeless, but what a rig!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
While reading through the WSJT wikipedia article, it suggested that FSK441 can be used on the 2m/70cm band to make contacts in excess of 1K miles, but I've yet to find any examples or tutorials for this.

Other than CW, are there any non-voice modes that can readily get long distances in the VHF or UHF bands? I've got general but one of my buddies only has technician and we're about 250 miles apart.
It'd be pretty sweet for us to be able to send messages even if it was slow and required a PC behind it.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure they are referring to meteor scatter or moon bounce for those modes/bands. There may be some esoteric propagation mode for vhf and up that I'm not aware of (or forgot) but that sounds more 6m than 2m/70cm.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah thats meteor scatter land. i run 6m scatter fairly regularly and have logged one 2m scatter contact to Texas from Denver but it took about a half hour to complete - my antenna's not very high.

lots of fun though if you're into staring at a screen and sipping coffee and cranking out massive amounts of RF at 4 in the morning

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Bummer. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

lots of fun though if you're into staring at a screen and sipping coffee and cranking out massive amounts of RF at 4 in the morning

Do...do some people NOT think that's fun?