Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Augh. For reasons unknown my PiHole absolutely poo poo the bed earlier and just broke everything all to hell. This happens every few months or so and the wife has maybe one or two more of these incidents before I'm getting yelled at to get it gone for good. I'm starting up a consulting job in the coming weeks so being onsite to futz about with things won't be an option soon. What are my options here to do troubleshooting? I've got a VPN in set up via OpenVPN and a static IP service, is there any more that could be done? Any good network health applications I could toss on a Pi or the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Warbird posted:

Augh. For reasons unknown my PiHole absolutely poo poo the bed earlier and just broke everything all to hell. This happens every few months or so and the wife has maybe one or two more of these incidents before I'm getting yelled at to get it gone for good. I'm starting up a consulting job in the coming weeks so being onsite to futz about with things won't be an option soon. What are my options here to do troubleshooting? I've got a VPN in set up via OpenVPN and a static IP service, is there any more that could be done? Any good network health applications I could toss on a Pi or the like?

Why don’t you just have a second public DNS option setup in your router? My pihole likes to eat it’s SD card, but when it goes away, the inconvenience is as minor as a few more ads.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Way ahead of you there, I set that up the last time things went sideways. I have Google's 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS in the DHCP settings. I thought that had fixed the problem, but apparently not. I'm not unconvinced that a node upstream or something had exploded. Is there a networking health application/suite with a low tech user friendly web portal status page or the like?

Edit - Nagios? That seems like a thing, but would that be overkill?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 4, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
turbonerd option: if you have a fileserver/NAS, you can PXE boot the pihole off the network and it will never trash its SD card.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If you're willing to do every configuration change twice, a second pihole instance on a VM works well. Use that as secondary DNS.

Quick question though, if the primary DNS is available, is secondary avoided so much so that pihole is effective if secondary is unfiltered?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Apparently? I don't recall the query amount being markedly less than when it was just the one option pointing at the PiHole.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They make a PiHole Docker container which should make the whole setup immutable so if it shits out you just trash the container and try again. You also don't have to run it on a Pi anymore either.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That may be the way to go once I move my stuff off of the current laptop to something that isn’t literally held together by zip ties. I like running it off a pi tbh; lord knows I’m not going to do much else with a pi0.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
TP-LINK (Archer C7) AC1750 still a good pick if I'm not doing anything too fancy? I noticed it on sale for ~50 USD. Currently using a Dlink DIR 655 which works, but is getting on in years.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I just got fiber. I have a 2015-era Archer C9 currently; it was from a time when the manufacturers weren't letting people flash their routers because they thought the FCC was going to make a rule about it; I know there are workarounds, but since I have a roommate and just the one router, I haven't wanted to risk bricking it and leaving us without internet.

Long-term, I want to set up a VPN and a Pi-Hole, so I can tunnel into my home connection from my cell phone as use that to adblock. Centurylink requires VLAN tagging and PPPoE in order for a router to work with their connection. I know 802.11ax and WPA3 are on the way; am I better off picking up one of the Edgerouters in the OP now, or should I just use the Archer C9 until WPA3 and/or 802.11ax hit?

Forgive the repost, but this landed on the end of the previous page. Any advice?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Forgive the repost, but this landed on the end of the previous page. Any advice?

If you feel like tinkering, go buy a cheap Pi 3 that can run PiHole and OpenVPN.

An EdgeRouter will handle those speeds just fine, but do you want to run an EdgeRouter, another switch, the UniFi controller software and a couple of UniFi APs? If you do you'll get great performance and value for your money but it wont be plug and play and at some point you'll probably hit some stupid Ubiquiti bug even if its years down the road.

If you dont want to do any of that just keep using Archer C9 or go buy the latest and greatest bat mobile looking NetGear device. I personally dont think WPA3 and 802.11ax are worth waiting for, theres always going to be something new on its way.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm on Verizon Fios in a rented apartment. It has several ethernet jacks in the walls, but only one of them is actually active. Unfortunately, it's on the wrong side of the living room, almost as far as possible from any of the devices I'd want to plug into it.

I called Verizon and they insist that they need to send a tech to activate any other ports, and I'd either need to pay $60 or sign up for some super tech support bullshit for $15/month x 3 months minimum. My landlord won't do anything about it either, although they must have a key to the networking room.

Is there any chance of telling them to do their drat jobs without paying any additional fees? Also, if I were to get a second modem/router, is it possible to have two plugged in to separate ports at once, in order to avoid running ethernet cables all over the floor?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Depending on how the living room is laid out, there is always the option of running a cable along the top of the baseboard (if so equipped), or stuffing the cable under it to hide it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

eXXon posted:

I'm on Verizon Fios in a rented apartment. It has several ethernet jacks in the walls, but only one of them is actually active. Unfortunately, it's on the wrong side of the living room, almost as far as possible from any of the devices I'd want to plug into it.

I called Verizon and they insist that they need to send a tech to activate any other ports, and I'd either need to pay $60 or sign up for some super tech support bullshit for $15/month x 3 months minimum. My landlord won't do anything about it either, although they must have a key to the networking room.

Is there any chance of telling them to do their drat jobs without paying any additional fees? Also, if I were to get a second modem/router, is it possible to have two plugged in to separate ports at once, in order to avoid running ethernet cables all over the floor?

Are you sure there isn't some sort of small network distribution box in a closet in your apartment somewhere? Usually there is a main set of lines to the apartment, and then a small distribution box that covers the internal apartment wiring. It's possible it might be outside but still accessible.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I recently converted my house setup to a Google Mesh setup, but the setup options are kinda butts. I want a system-wide VPN operating on an old ASUS I just flashed to DD-WRT that passes information onto the Google Mesh AP.

What's the best way to set this up? Does the DD-WRT connect to the modem, provide some kind of firewalling/VPN, then pass the data onto the Google AP? If anyone knows a good guide for this, please let me know. I have looked a good amount and nothing seems to really match the concept I have in mind.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm flying with a RavPower FileHub. How do I connect through it such that it operates as a router for in-flight WiFi?

Essentially, I want to buy a single WiFi pass and then connect my other devices to it while flying. Whats the connection / order / SSID things I need to do to accomplish this?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Annnnnnnd the PiHole exploded again. I'm starting to suspect that there may be a hardware or SD issue. It took every drat thing offline so that seems to point to DHCP taking a poo poo instead of just the DNS like last time. I had to reset my router and set everything back up since I couldn't access anything at all. I've move DHCP back onto the router for now, but I really did prefer the PiHole's interface. Oh well. I'm debating running it all in a Docker container, but the host machine has been finicky as well, so that likely is just asking for trouble.

In some good news I finally have my employment worked out for the long run so new hardware can be a thing. In terms of virtualization, is it reasonable to run things out of a traditional OS or should I look into dedicated hardware? Most of the labs I see have those fun server mount blade looking things, but I don't know enough about the hardware side of things to make an acceptable cost benefit analysis.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Are you sure there isn't some sort of small network distribution box in a closet in your apartment somewhere? Usually there is a main set of lines to the apartment, and then a small distribution box that covers the internal apartment wiring. It's possible it might be outside but still accessible.

Well, duh, I should have checked first. The Verizon ONT is in the front closet. Above it is a little alcove where all of the ethernet cables run to. Predictably, only one of them (the working one obviously) has a jack on it. The rest don't, including all of the voice lines. Presumably none of the previous tenants bothered to get a landline or have any of the other ports connected.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Warbird posted:

In some good news I finally have my employment worked out for the long run so new hardware can be a thing. In terms of virtualization, is it reasonable to run things out of a traditional OS or should I look into dedicated hardware? Most of the labs I see have those fun server mount blade looking things, but I don't know enough about the hardware side of things to make an acceptable cost benefit analysis.
Could get a Threadripper and a lot of RAM to run all poo poo on your main rig.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eXXon posted:

Well, duh, I should have checked first. The Verizon ONT is in the front closet. Above it is a little alcove where all of the ethernet cables run to. Predictably, only one of them (the working one obviously) has a jack on it. The rest don't, including all of the voice lines. Presumably none of the previous tenants bothered to get a landline or have any of the other ports connected.

Great. Buy a N port netgear switch, where N is the number of ports you want to activate plus 1. Buy a bunch of 6"-12" ethernet cables. Take the LAN side of your router and plug it into the switch, then jumper in the rest of the ports.

If you don't have a router beyond the ONT you will need one. It doesn't perform NAT to allow multiple devices to access your internet connection.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what are the best practices if I want to start using domain names internally on my personal network?

f.ex at work we use "companyname.pri" domains for internal stuff

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Paul MaudDib posted:

what are the best practices if I want to start using domain names internally on my personal network?

f.ex at work we use "companyname.pri" domains for internal stuff

Buy a real domain and only use it internally, use a subdomain or just use something highly unlikely to ever be assigned by ICANN. Like .local, although I believe that one is depreceated.

eames
May 9, 2009

best practice is to use your own registered (sub-)domain and only resolve the hosts on your internal DNS server.

if that's not your thing you can use the TLDs listed here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#appendix-G

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Has anyone else upgraded their Edgerouter X to 2.x with the AT&T EAP Proxy? I upgraded and it broke it, had to downgraded to restore functionality.

EAP Proxy script was still running, and executing, but was not catching the EAP Packets nor proxying the MAC for the AT&T router properly. Downgraded back to 1.10.9 and it functioned perfectly.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 9, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did they release a working 2.x firmware for it finally?

Edit: apparently they did, with some things still broken in it. I'm sticking with 1.x until there's a good reason not to.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 9, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would love to get some juicy gossip on what is going on with the Ubiquiti software department. Their forums seem to be more about endless bug reports than it used to be.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Warbird posted:

Annnnnnnd the PiHole exploded again. I'm starting to suspect that there may be a hardware or SD issue. It took every drat thing offline so that seems to point to DHCP taking a poo poo instead of just the DNS like last time. I had to reset my router and set everything back up since I couldn't access anything at all. I've move DHCP back onto the router for now, but I really did prefer the PiHole's interface. Oh well. I'm debating running it all in a Docker container, but the host machine has been finicky as well, so that likely is just asking for trouble.

DNS not working really does screw things up. don't listen to network engineers blaming it on something else.

It's always DNS.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That reminds me, I don't quite understand this but when I lose the internet connection, my Buffalo WXR-1900DHP seems to freak out and DNS dies. Attempting to connect to things inside the network fails (so like, no network drives, etc), even for static IPs/etc, unless I hard-code the address into the HOSTS file.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

DNS not working really does screw things up. don't listen to network engineers blaming it on something else.

It's always DNS.

It blew up again again tonight. This was manageable as DCHP didn’t go along with it. I’m at a bit of a loss, the unit was still up and running when things broke so I’m starting to wonder if the SD has a bad sector or two. I’ve started looking into moving things into Docker, but that will be a bit of time coming. It’s more *nix than networking, but how do I go about troubleshooting this? The Pihole logs are more centered around what is or isn’t being blocked than actual application monitoring. I’m sure it’s a fairly simple process, but I didn’t learn tab completion was a thing until a year or two ago so I just assume it’s something obvious I’ve missed by default.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Just get a new SD card and a new power supply. One of those is probably the problem and it's cheap enough that you should just throw :20bux: at it to get it fixed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My raspberry pi was most fussy about power.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I am sort of powering it off the USB of another computer using a cord I just had lying around so you may be onto something there. One would think a Zero would have a low enough draw that it wouldn’t matter, but may as well give it a shot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
power droop is one of the most common and insidious problems with Pis. There is a brownout indicator on the graphical output but Raspbian and company should really add some console spam when it's detected as well

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I bought a legit high amp power supply with an on off switch and it's been rock solid.

Pihole would crash every few days for some reason and i figured it out in desperation. I thought it was a networking issue, but I observed the thing drop without warning while troubleshooting and the issue didn't reoccur when using a proper power supply.

Also I thought you want to set up any device running off an SD card to not make a bunch of writes all the time. I turned off all logging and stuff these days in my attempt to keep the making as long lived as possible; idk how effective that is. Can anyone comment?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

power droop is one of the most common and insidious problems with Pis. There is a brownout indicator on the graphical output but Raspbian and company should really add some console spam when it's detected as well

It's entirely possible that it's been bitching about that non stop, but I only access it via SSH and the web client for PH, so who knows. I've got a couple of phone charger wall warts lying around so I'll give that a go and see what's what. The entire thing is wireless anyway so there isn't really a reason to keep it where it is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Warbird posted:

It's entirely possible that it's been bitching about that non stop, but I only access it via SSH and the web client for PH, so who knows. I've got a couple of phone charger wall warts lying around so I'll give that a go and see what's what. The entire thing is wireless anyway so there isn't really a reason to keep it where it is.

You really should seek out a supply that claims compatibility with the Pi and has a decent reputation. Look for higher current if you can. Like, this is something you maybe don't want to buy off Amazon, get it from Adafruit or Sparkfun or another private retailer who controls their inventory.

Brownouts can cause all kinds of problems including flash card corruption. If there isn't enough voltage during the write, it will kinda succeed, but not really take, or or partially take. And even if you're writing logs, you're still writing inodes and other filesystem stuff at the same time.

But yes, it's not a bad idea to disable logging (as long as you are not actively having a problem of course) so that you don't trash your SD card. SD cards are, by and large, cheap poo poo that is intended to be filled full and dumped maybe a couple dozen times. They don't necessarily have the fancy wear levelling of a real SSD. They can but it is not required in the spec.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Aaannnd naturally there are none of the drat things around when I want to find them. I’ll see about sourcing a legit unit online. Meanwhile my Pi2 is quietly puttering away in the attic in operating at near thermal max watching airplanes and whatnot. I liked the Pi’s better when you could largely throw whatever on them, but you have a good point. If it’s going to be network infrastructure I may as well do it right.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 11, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've had really good results with these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MARDJZ4

But they've only been up for a few months at this point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I believe I have one of those already and it's been working well for a while now. drat you all for sending me to Adafruit because holy poo poo I do not need to buy all the dumb poo poo I have in my cart now. I had this whole wandering vague question of setting up a local WLAN at the hotel, but this is apparently a thing and likely made the whole affair moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No guarantees but I've had pretty good results using a 2.4A iPhone charger. I remember reading a teardown and comparison to a cheap knockoff that pointed out numerous high quality build features and Apple doesn't seem like the type to cheap out on that, so I thought it was a safe bet.