Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

superLINUS posted:

The quality of Swamp Thing reduces the more we see him. When it’s spooky trees and body horror it’s great; when it’s rubbery red eyes... not so much.

Yeah they just shouldn't have made it if they didnt have the budget to do 100% CG swamp thing at all times. He needs to form from a writhing mass of vines, his feet should basically instantaneously root to the earth when his feet touch it, and rip the roots every time he steps. Make it real body horror at first as he rips off his own feet/hands every time he tries to walk or prop himself up on a tree and learns he can regrow them. Like there has been NO buildup of Swamp Thing learning his power set outside of that stupid folk singer in the woods episode who basically just delivered an infodump and disappeared.

Decent potential with the roots growing and tearing through people, that cook stabbing his arm was brutal, but I probably shouldn't be calling a scene of a cook freaking out the most memorable moment of the entire show so far, and I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lol this is poo poo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

Meanwhile Swamp Thing turned out to be a gigantic wet fart. All the characters are so boring

I mean, at the very least Crystal Reed is very, very attractive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She was great on Gotham, and she's in a new thriller/comedy flick. I dig her and am glad to see her get more work.

And yes, she is pretty.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a bit in the Swamp Thing cold open where a character who’s name I forgot says “I kept calling your name.....Jason......Jason.....” and it made me think of Heavy Rain and I was laughing through the whole rest of the episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a loving waste of time Swamp Thing was in the end, jesus

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Young Justice continues chugging along with a C plot that's basically a modern take on "A Very Special Episode" regarding abuse. While the message is good and relatively real and all, it also seems out of place since it's something you'd target to teens, but it's part of a series whose original audience is now all adults on a streaming service that's largely consisting of comic books and shows that wouldn't technically be appropriate for teens based on conventional broadcast standards (in reality, it's probably fairaly acceptable for most teens)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Young Justice continues chugging along with a C plot that's basically a modern take on "A Very Special Episode" regarding abuse. While the message is good and relatively real and all, it also seems out of place since it's something you'd target to teens, but it's part of a series whose original audience is now all adults on a streaming service that's largely consisting of comic books and shows that wouldn't technically be appropriate for teens based on conventional broadcast standards (in reality, it's probably fairaly acceptable for most teens)

I remember when the Outsiders had a Very Special Two-Parter with Robert Walsh in the comics, so I guess while misplaced it is on brand for the Outsiders.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Swamp Thing wasn't terrible, but it definitely had some budget issues and lost momentum over the course of its run . You can really tell the season was intended to be three episodes longer (with Floronic Man as the main antagonist of the last three), and they had to end most of the subplots abruptly with little to no resolution when the order was cut.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Titans season 2 looks baller, pass it on

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Space Fish posted:

the S2 trailer looks more CW-esque, which I don't really mind because S1's attempts to meld that tone with Marvel Netflix never really worked for me

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Fish posted:

Did Deathstroke have his scaled suit? i'm hype!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WONDER GIRL UP IN THIS BITCH

For real, Connor Leslie was my favorite part of season 1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Escobarbarian posted:

Hopefully they can turn things around in season 2 :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Space Fish posted:

Yes, yes. Here's an embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlKaiktdK4

Ser Jorah Mormont as Old Man Wayne is totally my poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

teagone posted:

Yes, yes. Here's an embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlKaiktdK4

Ser Jorah Mormont as Old Man Wayne is totally my poo poo.

How many different actors for Bruce does this make now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Xelkelvos posted:

How many different actors for Bruce does this make now?

Can one count the drops of water in the ocean?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Xelkelvos posted:

I kinda like that. I also imagine- or at least hope- that part of its audience are not just grown adults who watched the original show years earlier. And having stuff like that makes it feel like a comic book. It's one of the few comic-related pieces of media that makes me want to read comic books more, instead of making me want to never hear about comics again.

For reference, the last Marvel movie that piqued my interest in comics was the original Avengers.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I enjoyed Swamp Thing, it had big tonal issues though. Seemed they tried to inject too much pathos into it (which Swamp Thing Def should have) but just made it too dour for the general audience.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Swamp Thing started out promisingly enough with the super creepy gothic body horror atmosphere, but then abandoned that almost immediately in favour of boring, run-of-the-mill superhero melodrama.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Titans episode that I'm not sure how I feel about is up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

New Titans episode that I'm not sure how I feel about is up.

I wish they just showed all the last season stuff last season, and started with Deathstroke. Worst Batman ever though couldn't be more miscast. I'm still all in for Hank dunking on Jason though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Holy poo poo, I had no idea Season 2 was starting already. That was a pleasant surprise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show had no right to be as good as it was in season 1. Also Conor Leslie is my waifu.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rocksicles posted:

I wish they just showed all the last season stuff last season, and started with Deathstroke.

Agreed. I have just hated all the Trigon stuff. He's too powerful for anyone to interact with him, and you knew from the start Raven was going to have to force him back and take control of the darkness or whatever. And I just cannot give a poo poo about the dream sequence stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I actually liked the choice of actor for Bruce. It changes things up in a way we haven't seen him before. I also liked Donna's costume and casting Esai Morales as Wilson. The Trigon stuff was garbage just like it always was in the comics, so they are staying true to the source material.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oof they did NOT have the budget to do Trigon. Maybe give the actor 4 eyes but keep him human otherwise. The long shots of him walking were fuckin brutal. Also dumb as hell to just wrap that up in the first episode, that was absolutely a season finale stinger with deadshot at the end and then they added the mansion crap I assume. I was kinda disappointed this is what they split the season up for. but I don't think its fair to really judge this season until episode 2, which is really episode 1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Donna's suit is the best. The Wonder Girl torch I've been carrying for 25 years is finally paying off!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I actually liked the choice of actor for Bruce. It changes things up in a way we haven't seen him before.

I mean sure we have, it's just closer to Batman Beyond than the actual Bruce that was in his 20s at the same time as Dick. It also kind of ruins anything interesting about their relationship, where Bruce has no real authority to say poo poo to Dick on account of the reality he's only been doing the superhero thing for about nine seconds longer than him, and isn't even that much older. And *that* is actually a thing we haven't really seen before. The movie was a bit too camp and didn't actually get into their relationship, and the cartoons generally have a younger Robin. Actual age Bruce with a Dick at the point of doing his own thing isn't really something they've covered outside the comics.

It's a profoundly stupid decision that can literally only benefit a "No, gently caress YOU dad" use of the character. Which is the tamest and least interesting way to go there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress, Titans S2 started already? I haven't gotten around to finishing Doom Patrol yet, and I haven't even started Swamp Thing. There's just too much poo poo to watch. Titans, Doom Patrol, and Swamp Thing aren't like a shared universe or anything right? I'm more interested in watching Titans atm than finishing Doom Patrol or starting Swamp Thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Skip Swamp Thing. Even without cancellation it was a massive wet fart. They managed to remove everything that was amazing from Alan Moore's all time great story the Anatomy Lesson.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is it that bad? I thought I heard good things about Swamp Thing, like it was some body horror poo poo. I'm totally down for superhero horror, but if it sucks, then maaan :rip:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's just boring as gently caress with like 1 or 2 good moments per episode. It's a shame because the cast is legit excellent.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Swamp Thing was fun when it was being a horror story with gory looking practical effects, and then really boring when it tried being a procedural drama

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

Is it that bad? I thought I heard good things about Swamp Thing, like it was some body horror poo poo. I'm totally down for superhero horror, but if it sucks, then maaan :rip:

The body horror stuff is so few and far between it's hard to even say watch it for that, even if it is kinda cool.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This episode really feels like it was supposed to be the finale for S1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

This episode really feels like it was supposed to be the finale for S1.

It was the season 1 finale. It was set aside at the last minute to open season 2.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

B-but why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roth posted:

B-but why?

Nobody knows. Fox had kind of a reason to do that with The Orville because it had an actual broadcast schedule, but a streaming show ? Who knows.