Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Having trouble refinancing loans and need help.

I have one private loan that is under my name and social, and two parent plus loans that are under my parents names and socials (do not show up on any credit report). I can refi these for a pretty good fixed rate of 3.9% and cut the repay period in half. The problem is that no company will touch the two that are not in my name (even though they are my loans). Does anyone know if either of the following situations will work:

My parents go through the process of adding me as a cosignor so that it shows up on my credit report , then I refi them out of their names.

The more painful option: If I cannot be added as a cosignor, then they refi them with me specifically as a cosignor. Then I refi them out of their names and into mine.

The last resort: refi them with their information and keep paying them as I always have (I suspect their interest rate will be far higher than mine, as my wife and I make alot more than my parents do.)

The refi companies I have talked with seem to get hung up on the fact that these loans won't show up on my credit statement. If this is something I just need to call and try and figure out than I can but wanted to check with people that were not mindless drones at these companies first.

Ended up going through commonbond, they had no issue refinancing the student loans in my parents name to mine. Got a fixed rate of 3.95% which is almost half of what the old rate was, moved the repayment period down to 5 years and only a small increase in monthly payment.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Everyman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Everyman posted:

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to handle my student loan debt.

I dropped out of college about 10 years ago and have mostly ignored my debt to this day. I wasn't working and had no income, and when I did work it was part time for minimum wage and my income was well below the threshold for having my wages garnished from what I understood. I always figured I'd just deal with the debt when I was in a better position to do so.

Well that time has finally come. I've been employed full time for almost a year now and make about $25k a year after taxes, and have about $30k in savings. I still live with my parents, and am lucky enough to have free room and board. My own personal expenses are exceedingly low and almost all I earn goes into my savings. Budgeting isn't a problem for me.

My current loans are a Wells Fargo student loan currently at about $11k, a loan that's jumped from Great Lakes to Sallie Mae to Navient and now Ascendium being handled by Pioneer Credit Recovery at $17k, and a Federal loan that's at about $10k.

Of these, I've only made payments on the Wells Fargo as it has my grandmother as a cosigner and I didn't want to cause her any problems. The other loans have been ignored and are all long since defaulted, yet no action has been taken against me due to little or no income. Now that I've been working, I'm sure that's bound to change.

I want to pay off my debts. That simple. What I need help is in finding the best way to do so. Should I call up my creditors and offer to pay in full? Should I bargain for a settlement offer? I'm not really sure what's the most beneficial way to handle this, so I turn to this thread for advice. With my current earnings and expenses, what I wanted to do was pay off my defaulted loans, then save up to do the same with the Wells Fargo loan sometime next year.

Years of bad decisions brought me here, but now that I'm finally getting my life on track I want to make sure I do this right.
The defaulted fed notes are going to be largely inflexible. You can go through the rehab process (takes 10 monthes) and they'll go back to the original lendors and the collection fees will drop off. You will pay collection fees during the rehab process, though. Then just pay off the balances and you're good. Then dispute the defaults on your credit reports and they'll fall off.

I'm not sure about the private notes because I don't know anything about those.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Agreed. You def want to do the debt rehabilitation process for the defaulted federal loans because it will also fix the tradelines on your credit report.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a zillion pages ago in this thread, someone said something like "my brother still believes a future president will eliminate his student debt so he's not worrying about it"

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1142977310808821760

:getin:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Hell, even just a decent amount of forgiveness would be such a godsend. In Germany, if you receive money from the public student funds, you get half of that debt forgiven automatically. You get another big portion forgiven if you save up and pay it back in one go rather than paying in installments. Even our lovely conservatives have not dared touching that in a long time. It's not that hard.

My husband is really hoping a future president will forgive his debt but we're not counting on it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EugeneJ posted:

I remember a zillion pages ago in this thread, someone said something like "my brother still believes a future president will eliminate his student debt so he's not worrying about it"

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1142977310808821760

:getin:

As an economic stimulus, the effects of this would be absolutely loving insane. We would basically buy a new house overnight if this went through.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If this ever goes through, we will feel doubly silly about aggressively paying off student loans, but hey. :shrug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

If this ever goes through, we will feel doubly silly about aggressively paying off student loans, but hey. :shrug:

I doubt it will but also if it does it will probably be some version of it. Just look at the ACA...

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm not anticipating it ever going through. I can be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Also, this likely would do nothing about private loans.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I was unemployed several months ago and entered in to IDR, so payments have been on hold until 10/23/19. I'm scheduled to renew on 8/19, and while I'm currently employed, that may be in question. But I'll likely enter in to repayment.

I would like to pay off the accumulated interest before it capitalizes. Is that going to be on or before 10/23?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Simpsons Reference posted:

I was unemployed several months ago and entered in to IDR, so payments have been on hold until 10/23/19. I'm scheduled to renew on 8/19, and while I'm currently employed, that may be in question. But I'll likely enter in to repayment.

I would like to pay off the accumulated interest before it capitalizes. Is that going to be on or before 10/23?

IDR isn't deferment, so I'm not sure that the interest will capitalize. My wife has loans on IDR and when she certified income annually (working towards PSLF) the interest hasn't capitalized.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'll probably go back to just regular repayment status. That's my concern, that a status change will trigger it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Why does it matter if it capitalizes or not?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has PSLF/employment certification improved significantly? I've been hearing horror stories and my annual form was submitted/reviewed/approved within a few weeks.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I want dat sweet 25% deduction :unsmith:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Has PSLF/employment certification improved significantly? I've been hearing horror stories and my annual form was submitted/reviewed/approved within a few weeks.

Meaning you are done with your 10 years? That is where I hear all the issues are at. Actually getting the loans forgiven.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Meaning you are done with your 10 years? That is where I hear all the issues are at. Actually getting the loans forgiven.

No, I have 3 more to go. I was hearing issues with the employer certification forms taking months-a year to process earlier this year.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I want dat sweet 25% deduction :unsmith:
You can still take the deduction on capitalized interest. You just won't get the form from your lender.

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p970-015.htm posted:

Capitalized interest.

This is unpaid interest on a student loan that is added by the lender to the outstanding principal balance of the loan. Capitalized interest is treated as interest for tax purposes and is deductible as payments of principal are made on the loan. No deduction for capitalized interest is allowed in a year in which no loan payments were made.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 5, 2019

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

I'll probably go back to just regular repayment status. That's my concern, that a status change will trigger it.

Changing to a different payment plan (eg. IDR -> Standard) will trigger capitalization of your interest.

Dik Hz posted:

The downside is that the interest starts accruing interest itself rather than sitting in a separate pool of accumulated interest that needs to be paid off before principal, but does not itself accrue interest.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

spwrozek posted:

The New York Times has an article that as more and more eligible loans are popping up, they're actually being forgiven. You can see some real success stories on r/PSLF over on Reddit.

A lot of the initial rejections and delays were because people actually hadn't qualified, or had tried to qualify under sketchy circumstances (TEPSLF and the like). It's looking for the time being if you have valid ECF and 120 valid payments you're going to get your forgiveness (eventually).

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hi thread. I've paid almost 30k on an original 80k loan but very little of that has gone to principle. I consolidated after graduation with my State Bank (my State has a state Bank) to a 5% interest rate. I hate this rate, and I have stellar credit. Is this refinance-able to a reasonable rate? What are my options? The state Bank only offers higher fixed rates then I currently have so gently caress those guys.

I just assumed every student loan consolidation offering was a scam

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Are they still classified as student loans? Were they federal or private? I'm assuming they're private now, so the only option would be a payoff with another private loan. I'm not sure how interest rates are going with those.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I believe they are still classified as a student loan. They were all federal before I consolidated.

So my options are stuff offerings like Sofi? See if they can give a better rate?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Yeah, unless they're a federal consolidation through Direct or another former FFELP lender which specifically kept them as federal loans, they can't be handled any other way. Even if they were federal, in order to lower the rate you'd have to consider something similar, as once they're consolidated they're locked in.

When you say very little has gone to principal, can you give more specific information? How much are you paying monthly? Are you on an income-based repayment plan of some kind? How much of your payments tend to go to principal versus interest? Feel free to PM me answers if you don't want to share, and no pressure to share at all if you prefer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Can anyone help me out with some student loan math? Currently, I have 178k in student loans through myfedloans at 6.6%.

Unfortunately, 54k of that was originally NOT eligible for forgiveness until it got reconsolidated. As a result, about 124k of my loans are eligible for forgiveness in 2023, while 54k are eligible only in 2027.

My loans are at 6.6% right now, and our family income is such that I max out the IBR payment, which comes out to be $1850/month.

I have 47 payments remaining for PSLF on the 124k.
I have 92 payments remaining on PSLF for the 54k in loans.

47*1850 is 85k, so I'd have about 40k forgiven, after which I'd be on the hook for however much remains of that 54k loan, which would then get paid off, and would be accruing interest at 6.6% all this time.

So really, I'm only looking at 40k in student loan forgiveness from this point on, best case.

Should I:
A) Do nothing now, refinance 54k loan later.
B) Refinance the 54k in loans to a private lender now, since loan rates are super low.
C) Refinance everything to a private lender and stop worrying about my chances of PSLF.
D) ???

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 5, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

Can anyone help me out with some student loan math? Currently, I have 178k in student loans through myfedloans at 6.6%.

Unfortunately, 54k of that was originally NOT eligible for forgiveness until it got reconsolidated. As a result, about 124k of my loans are eligible for forgiveness in 2023, while 54k are eligible only in 2027.

My loans are at 6.6% right now, and our family income is such that I max out the IBR payment, which comes out to be $1850/month.

47*1850 is 85k, so I'd have about 40k forgiven, after which I'd be on the hook for however much remains of that 54k loan, which would then get paid off, and would be accruing interest at 6.6% all this time.

So really, I'm only looking at 40k in student loan forgiveness from this point on, best case.

Should I:
B) Refinance the 54k in loans to a private lender now, since loan rates are super low.
C) Refinance everything to a private lender and stop worrying about my chances of PSLF.
D) ???

B I think, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

B I think, right?

I think so, but right now "forgiveness" is theoretically going to the current debt + accrued interest on 178k, whereas if I refinance/bring the 54k out of that, all of the payments will be going to the 124k portion, right?

I'm just trying to figure out what works out best for me long term.

Changing jobs, going to private practice, and laughing at myself for being so stupid.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I always hesitate to recommend consolidating federal into private loans, especially on such high balances, but if you're certain you can pay the 54K off quickly, it can save you money. My best advice is to find an amortization calculator and play with all of the potential numbers to plan out savings you can anticipate. This is one that I've used before: https://www.amortization-calc.com

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I paid off my student loans wooohooooooo

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

an skeleton posted:

Hell yeah bro

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

Changing jobs, going to private practice, and laughing at myself for being so stupid.

:actually: My wife has told me that if you really look inside your soul the satisfaction you get from helping the poorest and most vulnerable more than makes up for all of the money in the world.

Also you have one of the best fringe benefits in the universe attached to your position (free Ivy League tuition at your institution as long as you're employed, right?)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

an skeleton posted:

HELL YEAH FUCKIN RIGHT BRO

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

:actually: My wife has told me that if you really look inside your soul the satisfaction you get from helping the poorest and most vulnerable more than makes up for all of the money in the world.

Also you have one of the best fringe benefits in the universe attached to your position (free Ivy League tuition at your institution as long as you're employed, right?)

75%, and uh, we don't have kids yet.

Wiggy Marie posted:

I always hesitate to recommend consolidating federal into private loans, especially on such high balances, but if you're certain you can pay the 54K off quickly, it can save you money. My best advice is to find an amortization calculator and play with all of the potential numbers to plan out savings you can anticipate. This is one that I've used before: https://www.amortization-calc.com

Yeah, I hear you. It's tough for me to weigh the idea of:

A. Trying to max out PSLF, knowing that it's essentially going to be "only" 40k and I have to pay 54k back at prevailing rates, with the uncertainty of actually getting PSLF in 3 years.
B. Just saying "gently caress it," and refinance everything at 2.5%, letting it ride for as long as possible, and not being beholden to my current job if I get tired of it.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

an skeleton posted:

Congratulations! :toot:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I hear you. It's tough for me to weigh the idea of:

A. Trying to max out PSLF, knowing that it's essentially going to be "only" 40k and I have to pay 54k back at prevailing rates, with the uncertainty of actually getting PSLF in 3 years.
B. Just saying "gently caress it," and refinance everything at 2.5%, letting it ride for as long as possible, and not being beholden to my current job if I get tired of it.

I don't think theres much uncertainly about PSLF anymore, unless you are a student with loans who has not yet graduated. Assuming you've been submitting your ECF yearly and getting accurate reporting back from FedLoan on your status, it's pretty much a lock.

22 months left :toot:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Sirotan posted:

I don't think theres much uncertainly about PSLF anymore, unless you are a student with loans who has not yet graduated. Assuming you've been submitting your ECF yearly and getting accurate reporting back from FedLoan on your status, it's pretty much a lock.

22 months left :toot:

I had to get the ombudsperson involved in the accounting of my payments but a few months later, bang, they were there, certified in their totality. I'm a bit behind you, but 55 months isn't so long!

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Residency Evil posted:

Should I:
D) ???

I assume then that the $124k and the $54k are separate loans and not consolidated together then. In that case, it'd matter what the payments are on the $54k. Basically the comparison would be:
- 92 * monthly payment on $54k currently vs refinance and pay off in 3 yrs the $54k using some assumed numbers

Throwing in a refinanced interest rate of 2.5% and paying off in 3 years, that'd be paying back a total of about $56k, or $2.1k above principal, which would take $1558/mo to do. If you really get that low of a rate, then maybe stretch it if the difference would actually be invested and not, you know, get thrown at another Porsche.

Other considerations are how likely it is you're switching jobs, and how much you want to deal with a random loan payment for another 92 months. If kids are ever in your future, it helps with the cash flows to not still be dealing with loans and paying for daycare/saving for college/etc, unlike this sucker.

33 months left for me, 45 for the spouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Man I have almost 5 more years to go on my PSLF. They also jerked me around this summer on my recertification form. They claimed the date was altered next to my HR person's signature (because his handwriting sucks) so they said I have to get HR to do a new form. Which is fun in a giant government bureaucracy. I thought about just skipping a year but I'm still doing it, because gently caress them.

Good luck y'all.