Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A twist worthy of M. Night

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.

Haha I just finished the first book like an hour ago and thought his explanation for how it was not a violation was hilarious :classiclol:

I really wanted to like this book but it just fell short for me right from the get go. Maybe I went in with expectations too high.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hahayup posted:

Haha I just finished the first book like an hour ago and thought his explanation for how it was not a violation was hilarious :classiclol:

I really wanted to like this book but it just fell short for me right from the get go. Maybe I went in with expectations too high.

Maybe read Messiah to cap it off and call it good. Messiah is a very good ending imo, but sorry you had a bad time.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Maybe read Messiah to cap it off and call it good. Messiah is a very good ending imo, but sorry you had a bad time.

Yeah I just read in the book barn someone's take on Messiah and it has me intrigued. Seems to be quite a bit different than Dune, which may be good for me given I feel sort of meh after the first.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Read through Chapterhouse like a man.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dune + Messiah are two parts of the same book and should be read together and then you should not read anything else except this thread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nonsense. God Emperor is prime genius / insanity ramblings and Chapterhouse is the prelude to the best book with pussy magic and space Jews that was never written.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
IMO this series is a grower and every book in it improves a lot with rereading. That said, not reading anything but the first book is a completely defensible decision especially if you didn't like it much. Dune is a complete work in its own right and doesn't require the sequels as elaboration unless you missed the point ("Paul bad") of the first book (NB books 2-4 were written because loads of people at the time missed it)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dune + Messiah are two parts of the same book and should be read together and then you should not read anything else except this thread.

I can get behind this. I loved God Emperor but I honestly could've stopped after Messiah. It had a beautiful ending imo

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
God Emperor is peak DUNE and everyone should read it but then absolutely stop there for the love of Shai-Hulud!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Is there a monster penis affixed to the magnum worm?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This Messiah fucks!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Is there a monster penis gross protuberance affixed to the magnum worm?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WarMECH posted:

God Emperor is peak DUNE and everyone should read it but then absolutely stop there for the love of Shai-Hulud!

But Children is so so BAD

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder if dune will be milked into a big corporate ~cinematic universe~ in a similar way to the MCU or Star Wars

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I skipped children on my first dune series read because my dad didn't have it and god emperor still made sense and was impressively good

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
someone repost that article that someone wrote about why dune never became a star wars, how the nature of it makes it v hard to become like that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

I skipped children on my first dune series read because my dad didn't have it and god emperor still made sense and was impressively good

This is good news.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Emperor of Dune is about convincing a clone to have sexy time in order to save the human race.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

It started off so good too.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Children of Dune is worth it for the sand trout armour suit alone.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
cod gets a lot of poo poo but silgars, alias, duncans, and the preachers arcs are so good its worth it for me

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Yep.

Also God-Emperor is great because it's just Frank Herbert self-inserting as the titular character and mostly just ranting at characters in the book and the reader from the authors perspective.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The best way to read Dune is to go to the biggest, hottest, most remote beach you can get to in early August and drop two tabs of the perfectly legal d-acetyl lysergic acid diethylamide. Lay a towel upon the sand, crack upon the book, enjoy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rime posted:

The best way to read Dune is to go to the biggest, hottest, most remote beach you can get to in early August and drop two tabs of the perfectly legal d-acetyl lysergic acid diethylamide. Lay a towel upon the sand, crack upon the book, enjoy.

I did this but with 1984 instead and I will forever be scared shitless by tubes

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I've been struggling to finish Chapterhouse after blowing through the rest, but came across this:

quote:

He knew he only gave us the path without direction. A paper chase laid down by a jokester and left empty at the end.
A poet in his own right, though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Chiming in on the side of people who liked Children. It didn't have the same kind of action scenes as the first book or the dazzling characters of the second but I thought it was a really good conclusion to the first leg (segment?) of the story.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

North Arraken Worm Boy Love Association

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fwiw Children Of Dune was good to me, but i definitely get why it is least loved

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

Chiming in on the side of people who liked Children. It didn't have the same kind of action scenes as the first book or the dazzling characters of the second but I thought it was a really good conclusion to the first leg (segment?) of the story.

I just always felt like Messiah was the end of the first leg, so Children felt superfluous at the time. Who knows, maybe I'd like it more now.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spice, spice, maybe?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The Bloop posted:

Spice, spice, maybe?

Lovely fade

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
On that note, "Under Pressure" was a not-bad story Herbert wrote about the U.S. Navy. He'd been a Seabee.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
if youve got kanly yo ill solve it
check out this suk
while my mentat remoulds it

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 9, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

On that note, "Under Pressure" was a not-bad story Herbert wrote about the U.S. Navy. He'd been a Seabee.

Do to to to tota to to

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Anybody post this thopter drone concept yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnR8fDW3Ilo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

tactlessbastard posted:

Do to to to tota to to

Everytime that shows up on the radio, I EXPECT "Ice Ice Baby' but it's always "Under Pressure" :(