Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Speaking of skeletons, decided to make a new game of 5 skeletons and wanted to see how that faired for a few hours..

Couple things:.
1. Does medic really not work for repair? They would not repair without me directly right clicking.
2. From venge start, what's the safest repair bed to get to? I got demolished over and over by faster Ninja and bleak guys. Start repairing and in combat again

Pushing medic button works for repairs too, but when you shift-click to add it as a job it'll be separate "robotics" task not "medic"
Heng has a robot shop with the bed, and crossing the desert to there should be relatively safe, either that or black desert city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im getting a massive amount of crashes to desktop ever since i started building the base in Shem, is that a common occurence?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Check whether you have "fast switching" active and how big the chunk size in your game options. If fast switching is on, turn it off. If chunk size is big, set it to minimum. Kenshi has a tendency to spontaneously crash whenever it runs out of RAM, and those two options are pretty much the single biggest reasons that tends to happen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I get it whenever i build a base. It's why I stopped playing the game initially.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Pyromancer posted:

Pushing medic button works for repairs too, but when you shift-click to add it as a job it'll be separate "robotics" task not "medic"
Heng has a robot shop with the bed, and crossing the desert to there should be relatively safe, either that or black desert city

Speaking of that,

What are some permanent jobs that aren't apparent?

I found weapon hauling to not be clear when I started smithing and built a weapon cabinet.. my Smith kept stopping once he finished a weapon and I was like "can I shift click on the weapon storage?" And voila it worked!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So I built up my base, managed to set up some basic industry and farming, sent A team back out in the world to find science books.

Somehow a loving blood spider was inside my base and i have no idea how, it knocked out 2 of my turret gunners just before a horde of hungry bandits arrived. So I was overwhelmed and thrown out of my own base by dumb low tier bandits. My plan was to run to the tech hunters outpost on the south edge of border zone next to shem but of course I was beat up two times at least by dust bandits. Then beak things arrived and attacked the bandits but my guys were unconscious from the beatings. They started to eat one of the farmers but my only guy with non broken legs managed to run to the outpost. Hired mercs, hired two 3000 cats goons as suicide distractions for the beak things.

Managed to save the head scientist by kiting a beak thing, the farmer however died and was eaten. Didnt lose anyone else to them cause i snuck someone in and grabbed the scientist while the hired goon was kiting around the beak things. They suddenly lost interest in them and wandered off.

And of course of the 5 mercs 3 were attacked and eaten by beak things on the way to my base, the other 2 took down some bandits but got skewered by the turret defense. Money well spent!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Might be that you made the area that is surrounded by walls too big and it spawned right on the inside in a little corner that you don't actually own. Click on all the far edges and if one of the wall segments says "Owned by [nearby settlement]" or "Owned by nobody" instead of your own faction, then you have that particular problem.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I found the great white gorillo last night. I think I'm going to have to bring all my wimps over for some combat toughness training.

This thing is a great sparring partner, it's tough and beats the ever living poo poo out of my doods without killing them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Quote is not edit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've had times where blood spiders have managed to hit mach 5 and rocket up an incline and land in my base. Not fun.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CopperHound posted:

I found the great white gorillo last night. I think I'm going to have to bring all my wimps over for some combat toughness training.

This thing is a great sparring partner, it's tough and beats the ever living poo poo out of my doods without killing them.
Please sir, he's endangered.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Now he's more endangered.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

zedprime posted:

Please sir, he's endangered.
I am saving him by giving him purpose. I will protect him from anyone looking poach him, for he is far more valuable (barely) alive than dead.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Despite playing this game for ages I finally got a game to the point where I have a core group of badasses and a mass of schlubbs doing my manual labor that need some training. Do people tend to keep their combat folks on standby or do y’all have them do work when there’s not fighting or exploring to be done?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Bussamove posted:

Despite playing this game for ages I finally got a game to the point where I have a core group of badasses and a mass of schlubbs doing my manual labor that need some training. Do people tend to keep their combat folks on standby or do y’all have them do work when there’s not fighting or exploring to be done?

Well I had the mantra that everyone fights except the cook, armorer and weapon Smith's until I got recruit able prisoners mod... Then it trivialized getting guys. I think I'll turn it off

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Well I had the mantra that everyone fights except the cook, armorer and weapon Smith's until I got recruit able prisoners mod... Then it trivialized getting guys. I think I'll turn it off

I’m having no luck with the recruit mod. They either just talk poo poo or I forget to have some food on me to feed the starving ones.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Bussamove posted:

I’m having no luck with the recruit mod. They either just talk poo poo or I forget to have some food on me to feed the starving ones.

I was recruiting starving bandits by constantly talking to them because they are very easy. It still makes it trivial because you just use those guys as armored meat shield at first so they get their skills up

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, recruits are never in short supply. Just make a circuit, every town will have at least one guy per bar. The recruitment mod makes it minimally more convenient because you still need to hunt down and then heal and then convince a bandit that they should join you. It is not really a balance concern, it just feels like it should be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its good for when you save someone, say a bandit from the peeler and the ungrateful fucker wants to run off after you patched them up :mad:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, recruits are never in short supply. Just make a circuit, every town will have at least one guy per bar. The recruitment mod makes it minimally more convenient because you still need to hunt down and then heal and then convince a bandit that they should join you. It is not really a balance concern, it just feels like it should be.

eh, it's a little bit of a balance issue. my base was just attacked by a pile of black dragon ninjas and I ended up recruiting two skeletons with straight 50 skills, that's way better than I could find anywhere else

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Cardiovorax posted:

You still have to get the guys you recruit back to your settlement in one piece with the circuit.. new hires cost money and that's harder to get in massive quantities at first so it seems much harder then mining some iron, making some plates, then building a couple cages and talking to some starving bandits you beat down and put inside the cage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you do a circuit of the safe areas, no one ever really dies, they just get beaten up and earn more toughness. O nce you are swimming in hundreds of thousands of cats worth of copper that you can't spend anywhere because nobody has enough that is actually worth buying, those 3000 cats per randomly generated goon start looking like peanuts very quickly, too.

If you haven't gotten to that point of the game yet, I can understand why it would look like more of a balance issue to you, though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want skeletons, skeleton recruits are in pretty short supply though, I think there's only 5% chance that a random bar recruit will be a skeleton. Recruitment mod helps a great deal there, so you can just raid ashlands and surroundings for skeleton prisoners.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is that a hard chance? Because I could swear it feels like I get more on that in certain locations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it might be in comparison to the holy nation locations, where skeletons probably get beaten to a pulp and thrown in a well

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does this game go on sale usually during steam sales?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've seen it go on sale, but only by a few percent. Even at 25$ it's still a bargain for how much it gets you, though. I've paid triple for AAA games that weren't a fraction as fun.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Leal posted:

Open the crate with another party member, when switch to the pack animal. You'll be able to drop stuff directly from their inventory.

You can also do this while looting if the animal is close to the guy looting. I just put them on follow.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have inadvertently started a war with the Shek.

Bitches shouldn’t have come for my dustwiches.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Addamere posted:

I've not seen it too often, and nothing right now

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/kenshi/info/

If you're a humble monthly subscriber you could get it 10% off

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bussamove posted:

I have inadvertently started a war with the Shek.

Bitches shouldn’t have come for my dustwiches.
Are you at war or are you just having friendly sparring matches where people happen to die?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I wish you could have your shek buds stop by for weekly beatings without it eventually sending your faction relationship into the red

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The shek just take stuff from storage, slap that stuff on a cow every couple weeks and you're fine

Built my first base between the hub and squin and somehow I now get ninja demands, raider demands, shek tribute demands, and prayer day visits

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
based on infrequent, marginal sales discounts i am going to purchase kenshi now

i have played dwarf fortress enough to have participated in goon LPs and to have once dedicated 200 hours to dwarven science

i have also played mount and blade warband

this looks right up my alley

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, you can let the shek just raid your pantry but every time I've set up in their territory I'll eventually miss the dialog prompt (or maybe it glitches out) and they go aggro, which makes every subsequent visit hostile and sends your faction relations into a death spiral, because it turns out they don't actually like getting their poo poo kicked in, despite the bravado

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Azhais posted:

The shek just take stuff from storage, slap that stuff on a cow every couple weeks and you're fine

Built my first base between the hub and squin and somehow I now get ninja demands, raider demands, shek tribute demands, and prayer day visits

But then my new meat wouldn’t get free turret and toughness training at the cost of some downtime and the occasional limb. :v:

Gonna have to head to hiver territory again, this last rumpus got an arm and a leg chopped of two of them.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Addamere posted:

I snagged it Friday through GMG, looked like full price but when I signed in it popped up with -15% VIP pricing, (and it let me slap a 5% birthday voucher I had on top of that). Worth a look.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I started an all skeleton game and it feels like cheating. I currently have 8 skeletons and day 22, finished skeleton repair bed research and now it's just laughable after fight healing. I made my way to shark for the 200c repair bed on start and to train Athletics. They aren't good, most of them are 10s for skill and stats but since they have 200 HP they seem to be able to take on more guys . Dust bandits showed up with 10 and promptly got their legs cut off.

And to top that all off, I don't need to feed them or grow food so I'm free to build things like robotics

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can be a necromancer in this game? ?? how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skeletons are legit harder to start with if you only start with a single guy, because repair tools are loving expensive and the HP decay attrition can get you in a bad way.

Once you have a group of three or more, though? Easy mode.