Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HenryEx posted:

*thinks back to the designated white mage healer in his first Fire Emblem game, Lucius*

Look, i could understand mistaking my buddy Lucius for a girl, but
A. Lindhardt's hair is like a 2 on the feminine scale and
B. everyone has voice acting, unlike back in the GBA days

(and C. they love to pull this male healer trick)

:objection: Lucius is a monk, not a priest! He can't heal until he promotes!

Anyway, jokes in which the punchline hinges on an absence of transphobia where there is an implied expectation of such are super transphobic, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

eating only apples posted:

It's still horrible that your first thought was to make a pronouns gag, my friend, even if you hadn't had enough time to actually speak to Linhardt and hear his voice.
My joke was about my own mistake, not about him. And since you are making such a silly issue about this, yes, I believe that we should treat everyone with respect and dignity and respect the position that they take regarding their gender identity. So there is no need for you to be up in arms. Fear not, I am gone from the thread.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

My joke was about my own mistake, not about him. And since you are making such a silly issue about this, yes, I believe that we should treat everyone with respect and dignity and respect the position that they take regarding their gender identity. So there is no need for you to be up in arms. Fear not, I am gone from the thread.

As Linhardt would say, goodbye.

(for when you come back to read this: even if you have been mistaken about a fictional character's gender, it is not okay to double down and make awkward jokes about their pronouns, identification, and progressiveness, because then you come across as a transphobe.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alright, I think I'm done. Killing Thales randomly like that in BL is ehhhh. I'll wait for DLC or something.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kiranamos posted:

This is what the reviews should actually talk about, but instead they just play one route and give it a 9/10.
to be fair, reviewers are on a time crunch and need to get their poo poo out within a couple days of a game's release to hit their click quota or w/e, and doing every route and trying to watch as many supports as possible is, uh, 200+ hours

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HenryEx posted:

*thinks back to the designated white mage healer in his first Fire Emblem game, Lucius*

Look, i could understand mistaking my buddy Lucius for a girl, but
A. Lindhardt's hair is like a 2 on the feminine scale and
B. everyone has voice acting, unlike back in the GBA days

(and C. they love to pull this male healer trick)

By first you mean 7th, right? Because that was FE7.

Tbh Lindhardt’s post-time skip outfit looks like a jumpsuit a women would wear with like a belt and a jacket or whatever, but it’s actually two pieces and he has a vest. Not that I am defending that poor taste mis-gendering joke but my first thought after the time skip was that he looked very fabulous.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

to be fair, reviewers are on a time crunch and need to get their poo poo out within a couple days of a game's release to hit their click quota or w/e, and doing every route and trying to watch as many supports as possible is, uh, 200+ hours

I only played one route and could comment on attention to detail. I ain’t gonna give games journalists any slack.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Joe Zieja (Claude's English VA) just posted a video up on Youtube of him and a friend trying to replicate some of the stunts in the game. (With a few concessions here and there to the pesky laws of physics.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

man doing all these paralogues is making me overleveled as hell, at least the B-team is getting a big workout as I try to keep my main team's levels down

why does leonie's paralogue give me a weapon for bernie though

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bernie doesn't want it, it has negative synergy with her personal skill, just let Leonie have it. Comedy option: get Hanneman's bow rank up and give it to him, he has the same crest as Bernie.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Bernie doesn't want it, it has negative synergy with her personal skill, just let Leonie have it. Comedy option: get Hanneman's bow rank up and give it to him, he has the same crest as Bernie.

I trained Leonie as a Paladin so she literally cannot use it, plus I'd only use it against bosses anyway so it doesn't really conflict with bernie's skill at all

guess I know to make her a bow knight in my GD playthrough though

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

yeah you *absolutely* do not want to give bernie a healing weapon

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

yeah you *absolutely* do not want to give bernie a healing weapon

I actually keep her at full health most of the time

a killer bow+ pretty much solves all her attack issues for me

archers are really good in this game

e: i mean her personal skill rules in part 1 but part 2 stuff will mulch her

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 8, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Joe Zieja (Claude's English VA) just posted a video up on Youtube of him and a friend trying to replicate some of the stunts in the game. (With a few concessions here and there to the pesky laws of physics.)

I love how hard Joe Zieja is leaning into this. He and Chris Hackney, Dimitri's VA, are terrible together on twitter. It's so cool that he did this, not as much upside-down Claude as I'd expected. He can't do the wyvern backflip.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yinlock posted:

I trained Leonie as a Paladin so she literally cannot use it, plus I'd only use it against bosses anyway so it doesn't really conflict with bernie's skill at all

guess I know to make her a bow knight in my GD playthrough though

Leonie makes an incredibly good Bow Knight, I would highly recommend giving her a bow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

I think GD is necessary just to get a more detached perspective on how insane this conflict is. Everyone else is insanely personally invested and only has like a quarter of the story before going off to murder, GD is like "ok what the gently caress is actually going on here"

I like how Hilda is like "man Edelgard and Dimitri are idiots I'm glad I stuck with you guys" because she's totally, totally right.

eating only apples posted:

He's sad for like three whole months after this though :smith:

Would recommend GD as a first run to anyone. The other routes have such crazy amounts of character moments and Dimitri's whole thing that GD will always feel like a bit of an anticlimax, but as a first run it's amazing. Even the big moments that are downsized flame emperor are still big moments. I love the band of misfits and Claude is just such a fun character compared to the other two. I'm extremely golden deer.

e: BL seems like the real one though. All the early missions are about BL kids and Dimitri's connection to the main plot is intense. I haven't seen all of it but p sure it must be the intended one. Also it's apparently the most popular one in Japan. Funny how it's least popular here.

On the other hand, Edelgard is always presented first with the three lords and hers is even the first option when it's time to select a route. :shrug:

Onmi posted:

Yup, not by blood though, so as we established in Fates, that means it's perfectly okay to-- oh right.

"You're just thinking about how much you want to **** Edelgard, aren't you?"

did i make that joke already? :ohdear:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 8, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You know how the first conversation exchange is establishing that Dmitri and Edelgard have some pretty glaring flaws?

Claude remembers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

Since we don't know entirely why Edelgard is more popular here I'm going to give the edge to horny lesbians. :colbert:

For skills I'd just suggest getting riding for Ferdie, and bows for Petra so he can be your paladin and she can be the assassin she was born to be.

I picked Edelgard first because I wanted to kiss her, so there you have it.

Diogines posted:

So, I'm playing on hard/casual and having a lot of fun but this is the first Fire Emblem game that I've really played any meaningful amount out of time. I'm sure in the beginning your school choices don't matter that much but I'm concerned that I'm going to ruin my characters by not picking the optimal ones down the road. trying to find some guidance on what skills to focus on and what classes to pick for each character that's not been successful, I just keep finding tons of guides and how to level up the skills you want to focus on, not what skills and classes to make specific characters.

Can anyone offer any guidance on what classes and skills to focus on for the black eagles or link to an actually useful guide on the issue?

FWIW it doesn't really matter, I made Edelgard a Dancer, Dorothea a physical-only swordmaster, gently caress the pope.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 8, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pretty sure there's an equal number of straight men into Edelgard.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

they dont count

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I picked Edelgard first because I wanted to kiss her, so there you have it.

:hai:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's a series with a sizable female fanbase that's giving us a chance to kiss a girl who isn't weird for the first time, let us have this!!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Edelgard more like Baedelgard

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Can we all just agree Edelgard is cool and good?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A compelling character driving a believable tragedy. I like her.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Not quite the planner she makes herself out to be, though.

Tae posted:

Alright, I think I'm done. Killing Thales randomly like that in BL is ehhhh. I'll wait for DLC or something.

He only has 6 spell casts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can we all just agree Edelgard is cool and good?

she's a cool and good character, in-universe not so much

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yinlock posted:

she's a cool and good character, in-universe not so much

She's the best

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I want to go back to this received wisdom that "Blue Lions are the most popular house in Japan" for a minute. As far as I know, the numbers everyone talks about (42% Lions, 30% Deer, 28% Eagles) were from one survey from one magazine, so it's important not to generalise too much. It really depends who you ask. This random fan wiki asked people "Which house are you starting with?" and got totally different results (44% Eagles, 30% Lions, 26% Deer). Probably neither of them are representative.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 8, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh man, has the Edelgard Discourse™ shifted to Edelgard Wife Appreciation™ posts?
in that case have a twitter
https://twitter.com/Saiykik/status/1159591639892942848

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To me, Blue Lions feels like the most "complete" story in that it feels the most polished and the most well-rounded. It has a sharp focus on its characters and delivers. There are a couple of glaring omissions, but nothing feels terribly rushed. Both Black Eagles and Golden Deer have moments that feel really rushed, and while Golden Deer has the most lore/answers, it all comes in a sort of last-minute info-dump that just feels really unsatisfying.

I still think I'm most likely to replay Golden Deer first when Lunatic comes out, but I think if someone told me they were only going to play one route in Three Houses and wanted advice on which to pick, I'd say Blue Lions.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That one cutscene near the end of Part 1 of Blue Lions (you know the one) is absolutely amazing too, and would have the most impact on a first playthrough. None of the other routes even have an equivalent to it, from what I gather.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The online stuff saying the most used characters were all Eagles in the first week is probably more representative than any survey, though even then it's still a subsample since it's only players who have online

ROFL Octopus posted:

That one cutscene near the end of Part 1 of Blue Lions (you know the one) is absolutely amazing too, and would have the most impact on a first playthrough. None of the other routes even have an equivalent to it, from what I gather.

Yeah for a variety of reasons I'd recommend doing like Lions -> Deer -> Edelgard, and just skip Church and read spoilers for it. Lions first is basically so this scene has its full impact, and because then the player can share Dimitri's feelings of frustration about not really understanding what's going on

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Blue Lions is definitely the most polished route. One thing I almost wonder is if, since the pre-timeskip chapters are so Faerghus-focused, the original plan would have been to have each house have their own domestic affairs to deal with. But they realised along the way that they just could not accomplish that, and so stuck with what they had already, which was the Blue Lions chapters.

Completely baseless speculation of course.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The online stuff saying the most used characters were all Eagles in the first week is probably more representative than any survey, though even then it's still a subsample since it's only players who have online

Do we know if the in-game thing is separated by region or is it worldwide?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, there are really only two chapters in part 1 that are super Lions-focused: Chapter 3 (Lonato) and Chapter 5 (Miklan). I think it stands out more than it otherwise would because they take place so close to one another.

If nothing else, those two chapters also highlight important parts of the setting. Chapter 3 is the first time we really get to see why Jeralt warns us not to trust Rhea, and Chapter 5 is a good showcase of how Crests can ruin even the nobility's lives. Both are important story and setting elements to cover. It can be a little jarring that they're the only two part 1 chapters with strong personal connections for students and they're both for Lions students, but they still play a necessary role in every route.

Part 1 still definitely feels the best as Blue Lions, though, both for those chapters and the Chapter 11 scene that can only really happen because of Dimitri's history with Edelgard.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The final map of Blue Lions has beaten me for now. Just too many doors that no one person can tank.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah for a variety of reasons I'd recommend doing like Lions -> Deer -> Edelgard, and just skip Church and read spoilers for it. Lions first is basically so this scene has its full impact, and because then the player can share Dimitri's feelings of frustration about not really understanding what's going on

Also if you're into Baedelgard it's the way to make this comic real and makes sense if you imagine Byleth keeps her memories with each route.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Edelgard is the best villain in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

The final map of Blue Lions has beaten me for now. Just too many doors that no one person can tank.

What worked for me was to essentially pick a side and go down that one. Details under spoilers:

The named mage on the right side, Myson, will make all of the other black-robed mages disappear if you kill him. So I sent everybody right, killed Myson ASAP, and then cleared out the right side at a comfortable pace. Then I cleared the central room before going into the throne room. The throne room is the hard part--there are a lot of units in there and they love to gang up on people. I had Ingrid as a Falcon Knight try to tank as much of the magic as I could get her to (if she has Avoid Stance+ she can probably tank the physical attackers too) and used by biggest gambits to try to rattle units in there that I couldn't kill all in one turn just to keep some of the pressure off.

Remember that there are three entrances to the throne room, too. Going in the central door is going to be rough, but going in one of the side doors can help you limit how many enemies rush you at once.

Once you can get to the boss, it's pretty simple, but you have to be pretty methodical to get there.