Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sample_text posted:

Badnewsbaron got back into Star Citizen after realizing nobody will watch him play anything else.
(That's not my interpreting, he literally says this in the opening minutes of his broadcast)
:ohdear:

Guess asking your girlfriend to marry you on the stage of the Star Citizen annual convention while preaching to the choir about your future long-term dedication to Star Citizen might pigeon-hole you a bit....
I am glad he returns to this hugely popular game that currently has 845 viewers on Twitch, 33 more than Euro Truck Simulator 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

In this case Star Citizen may have saved that woman from her husband before they tied the knot.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

SC has already ruined a bunch of marriages at the very least, and I remember a true believer on the official forums back in the day who was mulling over selling the family farm so he could afford a "completionist* pack."

*did not contain a complete set of anything

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

In this case Star Citizen may have saved that woman from her husband before they tied the knot.

Did she say no?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

Nah, they will just double down and blame all the fuckers (Derek, Us, Forbes, Casuals, Epic, The Jews, Cryware, that one gently caress that fell from his bike, etc) for it. If only more people were as smart and forward-looking as them then we would have the best game ever, but nooooooo, those salty jealous subhumans had to ruin it for us.

Besides, it was worth every penny.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Nah, they will just double down and blame all the fuckers (Derek, Us, Forbes, Casuals, Epic, The Jews, Cryware, that one gently caress that fell from his bike, etc) for it. If only more people were as smart and forward-looking as them then we would have the best game ever, but nooooooo, those salty jealous subhumans had to ruin it for us.

Then again, just being able to point and blame won't fix the fact that their money is gone, their game doesn't exist, and they've ruined their real life relationships in pursuit of it. Some blaming will be cathartic, I agree, but it won't patch every wound for some of the most deeply damaged.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Scruffpuff posted:

Did she say no?

There's no knowing because that's the only post that account ever made, but the odds aren't good. 90% of the threads on r/relationships are like "My (19f) relationship with my bf (41m) is perfect except for this one little thing where he called my mom the n-word and broke three of grandma's ribs at Thanksgiving dinner. How do I make this work? EDIT: I'm NOT looking for people to tell me to break up"

I'm not sure why people post in there, but it isn't so that they can listen to the incredibly obvious answers that they get

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Also, new thread :toot:

Can't wait to post on page 6666. It's definitely gonna happen this time, I can feel it

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wise Learned Man posted:

SC has already ruined a bunch of marriages at the very least, and I remember a true believer on the official forums back in the day who was mulling over selling the family farm so he could afford a "completionist* pack."

*did not contain a complete set of anything

http://www.unhappyfranchisee.com/amway-network-21/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sandweed posted:

For the most open game developer of all time they are seemingly doing a lot of stuff behind closed doors.

Perpetually refactoring in open-concept cubicle farms around the world.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Foo Diddley posted:

Can't wait to post on page 6666. It's definitely gonna happen this time, I can feel it

I can't wait.
It's going to the best drat space thread ever.
That ED thread is a mile wide and an inch deep.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Then again, just being able to point and blame won't fix the fact that their money is gone, their game doesn't exist, and they've ruined their real life relationships in pursuit of it. Some blaming will be cathartic, I agree, but it won't patch every wound for some of the most deeply damaged.

Remember that they have had years to convince themselves of their own bullshit. And some of the most repeated lines are the "You are entitled to nothing", "You're pledging for development not for a game", and similar ones. They'll be fine.

Foo Diddley posted:

There's no knowing because that's the only post that account ever made, but the odds aren't good. 90% of the threads on r/relationships are like "My (19f) relationship with my bf (41m) is perfect except for this one little thing where he called my mom the n-word and broke three of grandma's ribs at Thanksgiving dinner. How do I make this work? EDIT: I'm NOT looking for people to tell me to break up"

I'm not sure why people post in there, but it isn't so that they can listen to the incredibly obvious answers that they get

The r/relationships thread is a good laugh when I am feeling down. It helps you realize that no matter how much of a gently caress up you are you could be doing much, much worse.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 7, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

The r/relationships thread is a good laugh when I am feeling down. It helps you realize that no matter how much of a gently caress up you are you could be doing much, much worse.

:agreed: It's almost a first-line treatment for depression. I always think "HOW can you dig yourself this deep into a hole!?! Is there a mistake you DIDN'T make? Is there even one time you didn't make the worst possible choice?"

Just like Star Citizen development. Makes you think.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trucutru posted:

That's why I read it, yeah

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

trucutru posted:

They already had more engaging and cool gaming experiences in the PU than anything else they ever played so totally worth the 10k in jpgs.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sample_text posted:

Badnewsbaron got back into Star Citizen after realizing nobody will watch him play anything else.
(That's not my interpreting, he literally says this in the opening minutes of his broadcast)
:ohdear:

Guess asking your girlfriend to marry you on the stage of the Star Citizen annual convention while preaching to the choir about your future long-term dedication to Star Citizen might pigeon-hole you a bit....

Also, here is a very clear to the point definition of where the "sunk cost" comes from:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477657612?t=32m7s

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Scruffpuff posted:

There's no way any self-respecting professional would work under that moron. Maybe the everyday dudes get under industry to be "OMG I'M IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY !!11" but the actual pros (the few remaining)... they're pockets must be getting lined, or some other less immediately tangible benefit. I can't imagine any other impetus for working with him.

Constant employment? Games is an industry that frequently is lovely to employees, and in a lot of places that includes knowing you're gonna get laid off when the current project is done. Or just when your parent megacorp has a bad quarter and wants to fire 500 people to juice their stock up. But if you work on star citizen it's as good as being in a union: you'll never be fired because the game will never ship!

Alternately, you're a dev with experience in cryengine and your options are a) take an entry level position in a studio that works with another engine while you re-train, b) chancy work for the type of fly-by-night companies that are using cryengine in 2019, or c) get on the star citizen gravy train.

But also any remaining "actual pros" will be in the UK office where they're mostly insulated from Crobbler, or in Frankfurt where they're even further away. Crobbler's personal domain in Santa monica is where you'd have to deal with the man himself. I get the impression that office is staffed entirely by "game designers", 3d spaceship modeling artists, and the guys who make videos every day talking about how amazing everything is going.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also yay, new thread, new life, old unfinished Star Citizen! Smile for the camera as Elite gets another update in ~ten days!

Aw man, remember when Crobbler would try to counter-program updates or videos with big new promises every time Elite did something new? :shobon: Those were the days!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Klyith posted:

Constant employment? Games is an industry that frequently is lovely to employees, and in a lot of places that includes knowing you're gonna get laid off when the current project is done. Or just when your parent megacorp has a bad quarter and wants to fire 500 people to juice their stock up. But if you work on star citizen it's as good as being in a union: you'll never be fired because the game will never ship!

Alternately, you're a dev with experience in cryengine and your options are a) take an entry level position in a studio that works with another engine while you re-train, b) chancy work for the type of fly-by-night companies that are using cryengine in 2019, or c) get on the star citizen gravy train.

But also any remaining "actual pros" will be in the UK office where they're mostly insulated from Crobbler, or in Frankfurt where they're even further away. Crobbler's personal domain in Santa monica is where you'd have to deal with the man himself. I get the impression that office is staffed entirely by "game designers", 3d spaceship modeling artists, and the guys who make videos every day talking about how amazing everything is going.

All this is probably true, maybe I'm being naive, but I'd think that the reason people get into the games industry in the first place, and endure the aforementioned bad treatment, is because they really want to make their mark on a product that one day will fall into a customer's hands. To have been part of something that actually materializes and that people will enjoy. The gravy train concept is true, but do game devs really get into the industry hoping to get an indefinite paycheck knowing they will have their work thrown out every few weeks for an imaginary product that will never release?

The newbies, sure, it gives them some experience, such as it is. But do the pros really want to be linked to this? To know their work is eternally circling the drain?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

The newbies, sure, it gives them some experience, such as it is. But do the pros really want to be linked to this? To know their work is eternally circling the drain?

I work in software development. Unless you are directly responsible for the failure of your project (and even then) nobody really gives a drat if it failed as long as you yourself can demonstrate competency.

Like, a modeler that made the pretty space ships in Star Citizen has a great body of work as it relates to his skills as a modeler, independent of whether or not the game ever gets done.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sample_text posted:

Also, here is a very clear to the point definition of where the "sunk cost" comes from:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477657612?t=32m7s

Ha ha ha. "If I can just make the stream last two more years for the game to release."

Oh man his streaming career is hosed.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sample_text posted:

Starloop.txt

:(
Thanks a lot. I'd managed to forget about Starloop. I hope he's OK and less scammed than he was.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Citizen Tracker

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Foo Diddley posted:

Manage your expectations. Page 4444 is more realistic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

In two years, I think, we will have the shitposting pipeline complete. Then we can think about starting a threat that would make page 6666.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

skeletors_condom posted:

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

Nope.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If it's racist like a duck, sexist like a duck, has lust on its mind like a duck, but it buys a space yacht it's not a duck?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

You mean besides the dude who called everyone slurs on his video game blog and the other dude with 88 in his name that also just happens to be really mad at the Jews for doing "cultural marxism" right?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

skeletors_condom posted:

I would say cut88 is very much of the neo-Nazi branch of the far right. I would agree there are all kinds that make up the filthy stew that is the SC faithful. But the number of times I've seen "sjw" tropes and attacks on women/minorities because they have the audacity to want to be included has pretty much reinforced my belief that there is a significant number that are alt-right.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Akion posted:

I work in software development. Unless you are directly responsible for the failure of your project (and even then) nobody really gives a drat if it failed as long as you yourself can demonstrate competency.

Like, a modeler that made the pretty space ships in Star Citizen has a great body of work as it relates to his skills as a modeler, independent of whether or not the game ever gets done.

I didn't mean they couldn't find jobs - I just mean it's soul-crushing for your work to produce nothing, provide nothing, and amount to nothing other than a paycheck and the hopes of one day using the experience to get a job that matters.

It's like a chef who toils all day and every dish he creates is dumped directly into the garbage disposal. It doesn't mean he's a bad chef, nor does it mean the experience isn't useful, it just means that in the end that specific effort was useless. Maybe the experience helps him get a job where his work will be eaten and appreciated, but until he does, he's paying the bills, but finds no other fulfillment.

Such is life under the Crobbler.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skeletors_condom posted:

I see you're not acquainted with cutt88.

In any case, you can find alt-righters in pretty much any demographic. And 40-something nerds with more money than brains are not immune to that. I would say it is a very likely demographic for that sort of thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trucutru posted:

I see you're not acquainted with cutt88.

In any case, you can find alt-righters in pretty much any demographic. And 40-something nerds with more money than brains are not immune to that. I would say it is a very likely demographic for that sort of thing.

I'll have you know that 88 was just a random number and furthermore....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

I'll have you know that 88 was just a random number and furthermore....

I mean, last week we had the "subhuman invertebrates" guy who was given a temp ban in reddit, and a week or two before him we had that other one with the racist tirade, and before that... nope, I don't smell any alt-right in there. SJWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

Thing is, there's always been a certain libertarian slant to the "space trader" genre- fundamentally it's looking at the wonders of an endless universe to which you have access, and thinking "man I could make a killing off of trading tungsten futures." Like, it's the easiest way to game-ify space exploration- have resources which you gather and use to trade for fuel, weapons, better ships, etc.- but there are times the genre really leans into "this is your job, get to working." This is enhanced by the hilariously bland Sharper Image aesthetic SC aims for- a bunch of fancy space yachts clearly targeting people with more money than taste.

Plus I get the feeling SC is specifically targeting the kind of independently wealthy types who spend lots of money on model trains, and the overlap between "affluent Boomers" and "Trump voters" is very large indeed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus I get the feeling SC is specifically targeting the kind of independently wealthy types who spend lots of money on model trains, and the overlap between "affluent Boomers" and "Trump voters" is very large indeed.

Which reminds me that this jewel has not been posted yet...

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/KGfPoSS6qvf_19n6b-S

Poor dude then went semi-crazy after he realized he helped Trump win (the "trump voters" thing is what reminded me of him) and, after deleting pretty much all his online presence he has finally found peace watching MTV reality shows. RIP brendan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trucutru posted:

Which reminds me that this jewel has not been posted yet...

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/KGfPoSS6qvf_19n6b-S

Poor dude then went semi-crazy after he realized he helped Trump win (the "trump voters" thing is what reminded me of him) and, after deleting pretty much all his online presence he has finally found peace watching MTV reality shows. RIP brendan.

Hahah that was a good rant. I wanted to post the text since it scrolled pretty fast but now I can't seem to play it.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Yeah but cutt88 (I am assuming that's the dude from oneangrygamer) is not representative of the wider SC fanboy population. In general, oneangrygamer is trash; it's not something any normal person ("gamer" or a person who plays video games) would approach seriously. SC fanboys care about "fidelity," crobo's word salad and other BS, not the ethnostate.

Alt-righters don't talk about pipelines and "the BDSSE." They are not into to some nerdy video game BS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skeletors_condom posted:

Alt-righters don't talk about pipelines and "the BDSSE." They are not into to some nerdy video game BS.

There is no way you can say that for all alt-righters and there's absolutely no way that's true.

Look at the pictures of the people who marched in Charlottesville. There were definitely some nerds in that group. Angry, racist, misogynistic nerds. There's lots of those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skeletors_condom posted:

Yeah but cutt88 (I am assuming that's the dude from oneangrygamer) is not representative of the wider SC fanboy population. In general, oneangrygamer is trash; it's not something any normal person ("gamer" or a person who plays video games) would approach seriously. SC fanboys care about "fidelity," crobo's word salad and other BS, not the ethnostate.

I'm gonna disagree. Especially with the stuff we've seen from Ben, Dick Wulf, and others.