Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gobbeldygook posted:

What is the target market for a $100 android flip-phone with a 2.8" screen?

also what the gently caress

Too bad it doesn't have the cpu to process the pictures in a timely fashion.
That was the biggest complaint from reviewers; the images weren't especially better than the current top of the line phones, while taking considerably more resources to process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's a system function but yeah I love AMDroid too. My favorite feature is how it can monitor a Google Calendar with your work schedule and use that to enable or disable the alarm.

Wait the notification is system?

I still use the math challenge, which I think helps. Even if it doesn't actually, I'm at least getting better at quickly adding a couple of numbers!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's KaiOS, but my mom

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

No, google's version is just another option. The DP5 of OxygenOS for Android 10 still has OnePlus's method of gesture nav alongside Google's. Google is just saying you have to include it as an option, not that there can't be other options.

To quote Ron's Android 10 deep dive from Ars (emphasis mine):

Ron Amadeo posted:

Just giving developers the tools to work around gesture navigation probably wouldn't be enough, as a million different Android OEMs would all come up with their own gesture navigation system, and designing around them all would be a huge task. It sounds like, from now on, Google will be locking down gesture navigation in Android, with Project Manager Shah saying at Google I/O, "We're going to be standardizing the ecosystem as of Q on three buttons and our [gesture] model moving forward."

Normally from Google I would expect language like: "We really hope our partners will adopt this." But Shah's definitive statement makes it sound like Google will be codifying its gesture navigation system into the Android Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Adhering to the CDD is mandatory for OEMs that want to license the Play Store and the Google apps. That means Google fully has the ability to say "you will use our gesture navigation system and not yours," and all the device manufacturers will listen. Shah citing app compatibility concerns is exactly the kind of thing the CDD is for: legislating developer interfaces across the Android ecosystem to reduce the fragmentation developers have to deal with.
Edited to fix broken link due to quote parser
-----------------------

myron cope posted:

Wait the notification is system?

You know what, you're right, I actually did some digging and it turns out they're not. It was literally coincidence that every single alarm app including the stock Clock app started doing it with the Lollipop release. And I'm not exaggerating here, every app I could find added it over the course of a couple months around the Lollipop release and it's been a staple ever since. I would've bet anything on it being added by the system when they redid the alarm scheme back when they added Doze.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That would suck because Google's implemention is literal garbage. Fundamentally broken.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's a system function but yeah I love AMDroid too. My favorite feature is how it can monitor a Google Calendar with your work schedule and use that to enable or disable the alarm.
Oh man I've been wondering why in the gently caress that wasn't in the stock clock, will have to check out AMDroid

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That would suck because Google's implemention is literal garbage. Fundamentally broken.

At least they're leaving 3 buttons as an option going forward.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Something has me stumped on this Rog Phone 2... every speed test I run, both in Firefox and with dedicated apps, all give me bandwidth between 10-20mbps download, 10-20mbps upload, 10-80ms ping, no packet loss, ~80ms jitter. But downloading apps is slow, YouTube can't keep up with streams over 360-480p, and my Moonlight streaming app even in 480p30 says that it is dropping 70+% of frames. Everything is fine on WiFi.

My normal stuff like streaming music and using the forums is fine but I wanna try some baller stuff like streaming games from my house over data like I did on my Pixel 2xl

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Something has me stumped on this Rog Phone 2... every speed test I run, both in Firefox and with dedicated apps, all give me bandwidth between 10-20mbps download, 10-20mbps upload, 10-80ms ping, no packet loss, ~80ms jitter. But downloading apps is slow, YouTube can't keep up with streams over 360-480p, and my Moonlight streaming app even in 480p30 says that it is dropping 70+% of frames. Everything is fine on WiFi.

My normal stuff like streaming music and using the forums is fine but I wanna try some baller stuff like streaming games from my house over data like I did on my Pixel 2xl

If it's fine on wifi, it's probably your cellular network/connection. Do you have a different phone to test with?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You know what, you're right, I actually did some digging and it turns out they're not. It was literally coincidence that every single alarm app including the stock Clock app started doing it with the Lollipop release. And I'm not exaggerating here, every app I could find added it over the course of a couple months around the Lollipop release and it's been a staple ever since. I would've bet anything on it being added by the system when they redid the alarm scheme back when they added Doze.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I probably found AMdroid around then and never bothered looking for an alarm clock app since. It's the perfect solution to snooze/dismiss failures. I'm glad other apps do it too, and everyone should enable it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. I probably found AMdroid around then and never bothered looking for an alarm clock app since. It's the perfect solution to snooze/dismiss failures. I'm glad other apps do it too, and everyone should enable it.

One thing I found in my research was that it's not always 30 minutes. The stock clock, at least when it gained the feature, was two hours which to me is a crazy amount of time. Different OEM clocks also use(d?) different intervals. As far as I can tell it's universal among Android clocks at this point.

I was really sure it was in Lollipop too as not only do I just keep up with these things but it was actually the reason my wife went from iOS to Android was because it's just such a useful feature. At the time she'd have to turn off the alarm if she wanted to prevent it and then, after the time the alarm would've gone off remembered to turn the alarm back on so it would be ready for the next day.

I'm still half tempted to go through Amadeo's deep dive of Lollipop because I think it has something to do with the new alarm setup that came with Doze but every app I've tried does in fact show the upcoming alarm as being within that app's notification channel for it so the evidence is that you're right.

eta: Of course it occurs to me that it was in fact those changes which forced alarm app devs to update their apps all at the same time. Given that Timely at the time was an app that people pointed to as particularly good and its update for Lollipop introduced that feature, it's not that surprising that other apps followed their lead as they had to update anyway. :ms:

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 7, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mister Facetious posted:

That was the biggest complaint from reviewers; the images weren't especially better than the current top of the line phones, while taking considerably more resources to process.

No, the real issue was that it didn't have enough cameras. Obviously.

Edit: Oh, and if anyone needed a phone with a higher pixel count camera sensor than a lot of medium format systems, Xiaomi's got you covered https://www.dpreview.com/news/7870165496/the-redmi-note-8-pro-is-the-first-smartphone-with-a-64mp-camera

grack fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Facetious posted:

The CPU is fine, the difference between the 845 & 855 would be marginal. It's the dedicated processing chips that they don't really have down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Charles posted:

The CPU is fine, the difference between the 845 & 855 would be marginal. It's the dedicated processing chips that they don't really have down.

That's just it; it's reliant on the DSP included on the chip, there's no custom solution like the Pixel's. Now, add four more lenses at slightly different positions, instead of just burst-firing five shots in a row instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's not Android, it's an old school phone. They do still sell.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Anybody else got a problem with the Play Store after updating to Android 10?

When I open the Play Store, I only get a white blank screen.

I've tried to reset and clear the cache, but that doesn't help.

The phone is a Pixel 3 XL.

EDIT: Found the solution, it was a app called Google Play Verification, which somehow tried to connect to a defunct website - after uninstalling the app, and manually updating Google Play Store, everything is back to normal.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 10, 2019

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

I want my phone to look like the robot villain in a sci fi movie

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

smoobles posted:

I want my phone to look like the robot villain in a sci fi movie

Just lol if they don't have a Simon game using the lenses on the back

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there any way to not display photos in the Photos app that are only in the cloud? I have a big folder of pictures and wallpapers in the cloud that we use for Chromecast ambient mode but they take up a ton of space in my camera roll and I'm super loving whiny.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nokia apparently got their spec sheet wrong. Only the India versions of the 7.2 and 6.2 will be without NFC.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/07/nokia-6-2-and-7-2-wont-have-tap-to-pay-in-the-us-india-or-latin-america/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RichterIX posted:

Is there any way to not display photos in the Photos app that are only in the cloud? I have a big folder of pictures and wallpapers in the cloud that we use for Chromecast ambient mode but they take up a ton of space in my camera roll and I'm super loving whiny.

No, that's the purpose of the Photos app. If you only want to view photos that are on the phone, your device probably also has a Gallery app, or there's a million options in the play store.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Nokia apparently got their spec sheet wrong. Only the India versions of the 7.2 and 6.2 will be without NFC.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/07/nokia-6-2-and-7-2-wont-have-tap-to-pay-in-the-us-india-or-latin-america/

Nokia is REALLY BAD at updating their website.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to recover the 'camera' folder in Google Photos after you let it clean up photos from your phone (remove space by deleting backed up photos from your device)?

I now have no way to sort out my own photos from all the shitload of WhatsApp photos etc that I can up onto Photos. Which seems incredibly loving dumb. Why don't they just keep the 'camera' folder permanently for your own photos???

e: also why isn't there an option for me to go into an album of photos and download them all. Why do I have to download them individually. Jfc Google

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

If I could get a Pixel 3 camera in a flip phone with 28 days standby, + wifi tethering when I need it for my 10" tablet, I would probably ditch my 5.5" screen cell phone today

I would settle for a Pixel 4 with a 4.4" screen too, and a startac style removable battery.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 8, 2019

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If I could get a Pixel 3 camera in a flip phone with 28 days standby, + wifi tethering when I need it for my 10" tablet, I would probably ditch my 5.5" screen cell phone today

Camera, music, maps, and messaging. It's all you need.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone else getting dark text on a dark background when searching from the home screen search bar using the dark theme on 10?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone else getting dark text on a dark background when searching from the home screen search bar using the dark theme on 10?

Are you sure it's powered on? :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

"It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me,” said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, “Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you’ve done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

loving lol

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google: Never Settle

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, I don't see that. I get white on grey.

Is there some known way to fix when Android Auto doesn't connect the Bluetooth? It's happening both in my car with an aftermarket head unit and our van with AA built in.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Skarsnik posted:

I got that issue intermittently before 10. It'd come and go on its own, so I never did bother to figure out the cause.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

incogneato posted:

I got that issue intermittently before 10. It'd come and go on its own, so I never did bother to figure out the cause.

Yeah I figured it'd go away with the final version but nope

The text I type is white, the start of the suggestion is grey, but the rest of the suggestions are dark on dark :downs:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Is the Moto G7 any good? I'm thinking of buying one since it's in my budget and fits my plan. Mainly going to use it for basic smartphone stuff.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

Are you on the Google app beta?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I am apparently, I'd forgotten I'd joined it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Trip report on Android 10 on Pixel 3. RAM management is definitely very much improved on Android 10. It's not where it should be in my viewpoint but I think it's as good as it's going to get with 4GB RAM I'm 2019.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Minorkos posted:

Is the Moto G7 any good? I'm thinking of buying one since it's in my budget and fits my plan. Mainly going to use it for basic smartphone stuff.

Is it in the Android One program? If not, I would avoid it.

Both my parents use Nokia 6.1 phones, and they've been great. Also part of Android One, so they'll get guaranteed updated for at least 2-3 years from release also.

Really, if you're not getting a pixel I would at least aim for something in the Android One program.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Trip report on Android 10 on Pixel 3. RAM management is definitely very much improved on Android 10. It's not where it should be in my viewpoint but I think it's as good as it's going to get with 4GB RAM I'm 2019.

RAM management is better in my Pixel 2XL with Android 10, also. Never really had a problem with it before, but there's a noticeable difference now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah, my 2XL is much much better about keeping apps in memory now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I'm frustrated with the slow app switching gesture they added but I'm down-right aggravated that they also changed how app switching works on the two-button system. You used to be able to scroll between a half-dozen apps in a half second once you got the hang of swiping from the back button.

The new system feels like molasses in comparison.