Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FG or Alberto for the leader. Or if your water is dark enough, run straight braid. That's what I do when our water gets real tannic this time of year.

Unless you really need it, ignore the mono backing and use a strip of medical tape and a basic overhand knot to attach the braid to the spool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I ended up doing (10 lb) mono backing simply because I had some laying around and it would be a good opportunity to learn some new knots. I ended up going with the double uni for backing to (30 lb) braid and from braid to leader. I will definitely learn the FG knot. I was a little short on time last night, so went with the uni so I could fish this am.

I'm a bit frustrated, because I'm never sure which lure to use, so I end up going with ned rigs and senkos. I fish mainly for river smallmouth, and since I want to up the chances of hooking something, I don't go weedless that much. Maybe I should, as I lose soft plastics a lot to the rocky bottom.

Water is a little cloudy, so do I need to go away from plastics to something that makes more noise, like a chatterbait? I've heard that one should match lure color to water, but that doesn't make sense to me.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I like alberto because i can do it quickly, mainly from memory as it is so straight forward and doesn't require any tension elsewhere.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I use an alberto with 9 twists up and 9 down to join 20lb braid to 10lb floro leader. I use an FG to attach 30lb braid to 20lb leader. Most of the reason I use the FG is the small guides on my rods. Though I'm thinking of dropping down to 15lb leader from 20lb so I can just use an alberto knot there too.

So far the only time my knot has broken has been when I accidentally tied the knot inside out, with floro wrapped around braid instead of braid wrapped around floro.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Does anyone else put down a layer of electrical tape on their reels when they're respooling them to prevent the line from slipping? I guess the glue could get gummy and bind up the line but I've been doing it as long as I can remember. I just do one wrap - enough for the line to bite into a bit for the first layer or two.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 30, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone else put down a layer of electrical tape on their reels when they're respooling them to prevent the line from slipping? I guess the glue could get gummy and bind up the line but I've been doing it as long as I can remember. I just do one wrap - enough for the line to bite into a bit for the first layer or two.

Yeah. I don’t think it’s necessary for mono but if I’m filling the spool with braid I’ll use it so it’s got something to bite into

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skate and stingrays are to saltwater what turtles are to fresh. Change my mind.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Big motherfuckers that glue themselves to the bottom when you hook them?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Delicious if properly prepared?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Starting to get cold in Canada! Two weeks ago I was worrying about keeping the sun off me and staying hydrated, got up to fish at 7 this morning at it was 6 degrees out. Fish are still eating the Ned though, I had a nice 1-1.5lber on my first cast and then caught a whole mess of baby ones on my mepps #2. Sad to think fishing season is going to be pretty much done in a couple months. Gonna be relying on you southerners for thread content.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Big motherfuckers that glue themselves to the bottom when you hook them?

And kill your terminal tackle while they're at it.

Last weekend, I managed to hook a stingray...big, huge deadweight sonofabitch I got up to the pier and saw him flapping his flaps around. Then the sonofabitch spooled me and snapped my braid off at the reel. I kinda hate them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

And kill your terminal tackle while they're at it.

Last weekend, I managed to hook a stingray...big, huge deadweight sonofabitch I got up to the pier and saw him flapping his flaps around. Then the sonofabitch spooled me and snapped my braid off at the reel. I kinda hate them.

They’re good fun to target if you have the tackle to stop them. Most people in Australia regard them as pests but in the UK and South Africa you’ll often see photos of surf fishermen posing proudly next to the skate/ray they’ve just landed.

If they suck down onto the bottom I’ve found if I flick the bail over the ray will try and swim off, and then you can re-engage the reel and keep fighting it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna hit the surf this afternoon and see what I can catch before I'm enveloped by this huge storm

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Catch a few dink whiting in the choppy surf. Hope that beach is still there next week

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
E. Photo had a dox watermark

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Caught 9 dungies off a marina in La Conner this weekend, been a delicious week.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

Caught 9 dungies off a marina in La Conner this weekend, been a delicious week.

:hellyeah: did you get pinched?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:hellyeah: did you get pinched?

I don't think I've ever gotten got by a dungie; grew up in the Chesapeake Bay and blue crabs are faster and meaner :v:

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Anyone got tips for catching smallmouth bass? Theres this creek near my house that I've pulled largies and a lot of panfish out of but there are some bigger smallmouth that will not eat a goddamn thing. Water is pretty clear, mostly rock bottom. I've walked up to them on the bank and dangled baits literally right in front of their face and they are not interested in aaaaanything. Ned rigged worms, crawls, texas worms, little bobby garlands, a rooster tail. They DGAF.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fauxshiz posted:

Anyone got tips for catching smallmouth bass? Theres this creek near my house that I've pulled largies and a lot of panfish out of but there are some bigger smallmouth that will not eat a goddamn thing. Water is pretty clear, mostly rock bottom. I've walked up to them on the bank and dangled baits literally right in front of their face and they are not interested in aaaaanything. Ned rigged worms, crawls, texas worms, little bobby garlands, a rooster tail. They DGAF.

The ones in my lake like the Ned rig, tube jigs, mepps, whopper plopper, and live worms. Maybe the ones in your creek are snobs.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Fauxshiz posted:

I've had a lot of luck with a small wacky worm setup for smallies. I've caught up to 16 inchers on the setup, which I usually use for trout - it's a small jig head with one of those powerbait trout worms rigged wacky. You'll get a lot of little ones but the big ones will go for it too, you just need to land them quick or they'll throw it.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I will try the wacky rig and whopper plopper suggestions, I haven't actually thrown any topwater things at them. Are those O-rings necessary for the wacky rig or can I just hook the worm and send it? I'll try some live bait but I've never really fished with it. I've only been into this hobby for a few months, but its addicting. I wish I had started 10 years ago.

If neither of those things work I'm loving jumping in and netting one. I will have you, smallies!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten got by a dungie; grew up in the Chesapeake Bay and blue crabs are faster and meaner :v:

Next you're going to tell me that you've never touched a cactus out of curiosity or made friends with a scorpion. But for real, congratulations on graduating to Dungeness crab! More meat, better meat, less work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Next you're going to tell me that you've never touched a cactus out of curiosity or made friends with a scorpion. But for real, congratulations on graduating to Dungeness crab! More meat, better meat, less work.

I'll fight you. Blue crabs taste the best and don't take much work if you know what you're doing

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'll fight you. Blue crabs taste the best and don't take much work if you know what you're doing

They are way too sweet and tiny.
Bleh.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Any crab is better than no crab, but I've had a lot of both and I don't think I'm being too much of a homer (west coast best coast) for preferring the dungie meat. (also I hope that your tackle arrived safely. :ohdear:)

A buddy and I are taking my boat out for the first time in loving ages tomorrow morning and I'm so stoked. I don't know where this summer went; I got way too caught up with bullshit and missed a lot of good weather.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fauxshiz posted:

What time are you trying?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Fauxshiz posted:

I will try the wacky rig and whopper plopper suggestions, I haven't actually thrown any topwater things at them. Are those O-rings necessary for the wacky rig or can I just hook the worm and send it? I'll try some live bait but I've never really fished with it. I've only been into this hobby for a few months, but its addicting. I wish I had started 10 years ago.

If neither of those things work I'm loving jumping in and netting one. I will have you, smallies!

No O-ring needed for the tiny worms I use. If you use something bigger and more pricy go for it.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What time are you trying?

6am to like 11ish usually, and Ive gone after 5pm once.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fauxshiz posted:

6am to like 11ish usually, and Ive gone after 5pm once.

Hmm that should be fine. Crawling up and being careful to not let the fish see you and jigging off the bottom in the seam between different water speeds doesnt work? If the waters too warm they'll be picky and only hitting out of instinct so play it that way

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Completely anecdotal but I've only ever had success with topwater in the evening.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Since Dorian will be loving up my fave salt/brackish spots with a bunch of freshwater from upstream, tried a pond 20 minutes up the road instead.

90 minutes later, I had 16 catfish ranging from 10 to 18 inches, and four white perch. Not a bad trip. Frozen shrimp in peeler oil really is the universal bait for fresh or saltwater.

I also discovered an amazing defense mechanism in large channel catfish: squirting a stream of poo poo directly at you.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm going cat fishing in 2 weeks on the Shenandoah. I'm going to freshen up the gear. Will try what you say above, but what else do I need? Punch bait? Am probably using chicken livers but not opposed to going to the Asian market and trying to get some cut bait or something.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Lost a nice northern today ffffuck. Wasnt even going for one. Wedding rings are the best lure

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think I'm going to order my first soft plastic mold next paycheck. Plans are to try using as a version of a trick worm with a floating plastic blend. Should be interesting.

https://anglingai.com/ts111-05-5-5kicker-tail-worm-mold/

Biggest thing I'm looking for at the moment is a good injector with a locking tip and preferably a handle. Then I need to track down old school pyrex measuring cups, a micronuculater, a good ventilator mask a bunch of odds and ends supplies.

This is alotta money and work to make baits because I can't buy exactly what I want otherwise. :sigh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 8, 2019

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those look dynamite; would love to see some shots of the process when you get it all together.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I reckon you'd get high af off those plastic mixes

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

More like destroy my lung with VOCs offgassing from the heated plastic, thus the need for a respirator. I need to make a call to 3M next week to check which option is going to be best. I can get gloves and eye pro through work, hopefully I can nab a respirator too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone around upstate NY want to share some finger lake tips? I'm messing with crawdads, worms and minnows. Also poppers and plastics. Looking for any action I give zero fucks about trophy fish. Going to have access to a canoe which is kinda funny because these lakes are loving LONG compared to what I'm used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Borrowed a kayak instead.. I could catch these lil guys alllll day out of a kayak. Crawdads and the wedding ring are killing it, every other cast kinda thing.