Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I do some unjust revoking and vassal shuffling frequently when I'm running an empire. I just try to keep the malus to a managable -20 or so. If I'm handling other poo poo well that's not a huge hit. But when I've got viceroy kings and one of the titles comes back to me I usually do some pruning and put a few counties and stuff back under the vassal it's supposed to belong to or take some stuff they conquered on their own outside their de jure territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well my ruler died, and during the succession the game took the whole secret religion thing out of my hands, and next thing I knew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOMEymyLnY&t=541s. :jihad::hf::russo:

Which I'm cool with. This first full playthough is turning into a smorgasbord of gameplay modes. However:

1) What would I have needed to do if I wanted to avoid this?

2) I'm up to double digit catholic revolts. I assume there's just no getting around this, but are there some ways to mitigate this?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 5, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I think Vushmgir Ziyarid in the Iron Century is my new favorite Zoroastrian start. Your not-terrible size and starting as Sunni mean that the (considerably weaker than earlier bookmarks) Abbasids and the Samanids will start holy wars against targets other than you at first and give you time to build up, you can convert via your unique decision basically immediately by just going on the Hajj, expanding through the ton of strong claims you get is basically just as fast as holy wars but doesn't see the entire Muslim world rallying to your targets' defense, and a bunch of other small things.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SirPhoebos posted:

2) I'm up to double digit catholic revolts. I assume there's just no getting around this, but are there some ways to mitigate this?

Generally, religious revolts tend to be tied to the relative moral authority of the ruler's religion and whatever nonsense the heathens beyond nearby borders believe in, and can be mitigated a bit by working to keep that authority ratio in your favour. But it's still subject to much the same factors that generate regular revolts, so it's just one of those things you have to deal with as a ruler over large areas. Both religious issues and general revolts can be mitigated by having a decent spread of kingdoms and duchies, where each such ruler has their own independent ability to keep marshals and chaplains busy pre-empting those events.

Still, get large enough and there's just no way to avoid the pockets of mixed cultures and religions that increase the odds of them happening.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So in the middle of my Top-10 Anime Betrayal playthough, I get the immortality event chain. I manage to get through all of it, which results in my ruler (who was rather young to start thinking about her own pending demise, but it's the Middle Ages so whatever) dies and reincarnates as a baby that's somehow my now-dead characters newborn daughter.

While that was interesting (and the kid had high stands for a baby, don't get me wrong), I'm not sure how I would go about putting that character at the head of my dynasty since she had 5 half-siblings ahead of her on the succession list..

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just murder your family. :cmon:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SirPhoebos posted:

So in the middle of my Top-10 Anime Betrayal playthough, I get the immortality event chain. I manage to get through all of it, which results in my ruler (who was rather young to start thinking about her own pending demise, but it's the Middle Ages so whatever) dies and reincarnates as a baby that's somehow my now-dead characters newborn daughter.

While that was interesting (and the kid had high stands for a baby, don't get me wrong), I'm not sure how I would go about putting that character at the head of my dynasty since she had 5 half-siblings ahead of her on the succession list..

That's what happens when you fail that version of the immortality quest. Success always makes you actually immortal

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

How can you get the really nuts stuff like immortality started anyway. With one character I climbed to be No1 Satanist and lasted a good long time using dark healing but just randomly died around 110.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Warrior legend bloodline + conqueror bloodline produces some fun hypotheticals. Not that it will happen, but it's fun to know my 12-year-old king would win a duel against most of the kingdom.

When an AI character reforms a pagan faith, are the choices of reforms they pick set, weighted from a range, or completely random? As Jorvik, I had Svipjod reform Germanic into warmongering/sons of Ragnarok/agnatic clans/temporal, which seems appropriate, but I also wonder if you occasionally get wild combos.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

How can you get the really nuts stuff like immortality started anyway. With one character I climbed to be No1 Satanist and lasted a good long time using dark healing but just randomly died around 110.

The immortality event chain is essentially random, there's no way to really make it happen. A bunch of factors that make it more likely are when your ruler has really high stats, or is old, but it still comes down to whether or not the game just decides to fire the event for you or not.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just murder your family. :cmon:

this except also as a response to most problems

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
After batting a 5 stack between my two 6 stacks about 15 times before it finally disappeared on the island of Cyprus I don’t think I’m ever playing with shattered retreat on ever again lol. It was like watching forest gump play ping pong against himself.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

same

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Flux is an easy fix, just drink this and let me strap you down.

*pulls out saw*

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well, bugger. CK2 isn't compiled for 64-bit on MacOS, which means I'll stop being able to laptop it later this fall.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I accidentally helped Austergautland subjugate Skaelland and then they beat me to forming Sweden

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Anyone else having trouble with the CK2 wiki? There's stuff that I want to reference and not being able to is frustrating

e;fb

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

a very wet possum posted:

I accidentally helped Austergautland subjugate Skaelland and then they beat me to forming Sweden

See all those Finns? Extort Tribute wars. All of them. Every. Single. County. the Slavs. All of them as well. If you can Extort tribute from it, do it. Im assuming you have become King of Sweden Ambition? Use your Subjugate on Sweden and take your crown, calling in all your extorted vassals as extra manpower. If you havent used your once a life subjugate, Declare Subjugate war on Saxony as well beforehand. Take em both on. Win. Rule all of the Germanic Faith. Piss on Francia's Cheerios with a 60000 man swarm of barbarians from the north.

Order of Operations
Declare and eventual 30+ Extort Tribute Wars as many as you feel fighting at once against Slavs, Suomenusko, and Romuva. Use extorted tributes to help in more extort tribute wars. Once you run out of targets...

Declare once a life Subjugate war on Saxony if it exists and you still have it, then Sweden there with your become King ambition giving you the right, so you are fighting 2 kings at once. Call in your tidal wave of barbarian allies.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 8, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the CK2 wiki? There's stuff that I want to reference and not being able to is frustrating

e;fb

Google cache works.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just failed to imprison a vassal (a duke if it matters) went to war, expected to crush him easily. Suddenly a 10k stack pops up (my levies are like 5k) so I check the character profile and this loving duke has 11k gold?! Wtf. That’s more than me and I’m well out in front in the independent nations ledger for gold.

How on earth did he get that much? His dad was some random that I landed when I was taking over Northern Ireland.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Red_Fred posted:

I just failed to imprison a vassal (a duke if it matters) went to war, expected to crush him easily. Suddenly a 10k stack pops up (my levies are like 5k) so I check the character profile and this loving duke has 11k gold?! Wtf. That’s more than me and I’m well out in front in the independent nations ledger for gold.

How on earth did he get that much? His dad was some random that I landed when I was taking over Northern Ireland.

Has a crusade happened? It could be possible that the vassal participated in a successful crusade, that kind of money is pretty typical for a successful one. That might only be with Holy Fury DLC enabled thogh, not sure.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

trapped mouse posted:

Has a crusade happened? It could be possible that the vassal participated in a successful crusade, that kind of money is pretty typical for a successful one. That might only be with Holy Fury DLC enabled thogh, not sure.

Yeah like 20 years before or something there was one where I sent some troops and made an absolute killing. However I thought I only sent troops from my demense. Can vassals send their own troops?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah like 20 years before or something there was one where I sent some troops and made an absolute killing. However I thought I only sent troops from my demense. Can vassals send their own troops?

Yep. Good luck!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurion posted:

Yep. Good luck!

Aw man, thought that was only broken for the player :magical:

Edit: if I kill him and his kids will his wealth become mine?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 9, 2019

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man I fail at vassal management. Neglecting to revoke and transfer weird vassalages has made a mess. Then when I put my mind into fixing it after jailing the King of Aquitaine, the biggest offender, I stupidly started transferring vassals insteard of revoking the Kingdom first and now I’ll get opinion maluses. Live and learn I guess. That’s a big rear end dejure Kingdom too, yikes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've started a Khazar playthough. Doing pretty well, but I have some questions:

1) What are the most important factors for selecting my capital county? I got Kiev and having 6 slots seems like a good thing. On the other hand, there's my Silk Road harbor. It doesn't have as many holding slots, but might be more useful for generating income. Or is my capital county something I should be regularly moving depending on who I'm going after?

2) My clans are doing a good job subordinating surrounding tribes, but is there any way to get them to remove the chiefs and pillage the tribe holdings? Or is this something I'd need to hand-hold them on?

3) Is there any reason that I should have nomadic tributaries when I could be controlling them directly?

4) Trying to figure out the best plan for creating Israel. The biggest challenge looks to be dealing with lots of hostile neighbors in the aftermath. As far I see, there are two options:
---Subjugate the Abbasid in a single go, then form Israel as a vassal kingdom. It seems that I would be spending lots of time dealing with peeved off Muslims and there's a risk that even Israel gets tired of my nomad hyjinks. Plus there is the eventual crusade I'd have to deal with.
---Unite as much as the steppes as I can and wait for the Crusades and the Sunni/Shia split to minimize the number of countries that can attack me in unison. The main risk I see here is that everyone is more developed, and I might have to fight more than one realm to control all of Israel.

EDIT: Also I have too many courtiers in my court according to the game. Is this something I should be concerned with?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The real answer to the Israel question is to be Semien instead and take the hard backstabby road of being a secret jew until you can brutally own your muslim overlords.

1. Capital county will have an impact on availability of certain troops for your hordes. Like a desert will let you get camel cavalry, jungle lets you get elephants, etc. But personally unless I have access to some jungle for elephants I generally just keep my capital in a county with a silk road trade post.

2. Not that I know of. I will say that much like other kinds of vassals, if a clan is too big of a bunch of dickheads and you get an excuse to more or less freely war/imprison their leader/absorb the clan, it's worth doing and then you can clean up any of that bullshit in their former territories.

3. imo no. County conquests and subordinations are gonna be your bread and butter. Subjugations are okay but it's worth remembering that this often results in vassals, not direct control of the lands in question. Also if you have the population absolutely use an invasion cb on your fellow nomads and devour an entire kingdom. But imo tributaries are a much later thing for nomads and even then only if you're not looking to Conquer and Raze Everything.

4. Get strong enough to savagely ruin whoever controls the kingdom of jerusalem and use an invasion CB on them. Then you'll prolly want to settle there and do the full on israel thing. Bear in mind that this will mean that you will become feudal/patrician and basically lose control of all your nomadic poo poo. But to be honest I'm not sure if settling is strictly necessary to do the top level jewish israel stuff. Honestly I always do israel runs via Semien and my nomad runs as Otuken for the whole declare yourself Genghis Khan angle.

As for the edit I honestly don't know the downsides to having too many courtiers but I'm sure they're there. I'd say sort through and find some real worthless dickhead courtiers that hate you and just give them the boot.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Honky Dong Country posted:

take the hard backstabby road of being a secret jew until you can brutally own your muslim overlords.
This is something I always enjoy and I would recommend for fun run. Eating blobs from the inside, being best friends with your liege while plotting their murder in secret, murdering your immature lieges one after another until that one idiot decadent liege causes decadence invasion and the realm falls apart.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
playing after the end and i just had a fun thing happen

i was playing as the norse merchant republic of superior based in duluth, minnesota. if you haven't played the mod, the upper great lakes are home to just straight up vanilla norse vikings. so there's a lot of reaving and ravaging and endless subjugation wars and all that mess

as a merchant republic you're locked out of the subjugation game, so i just kept raiding heathens on the other end of the lakes. i was racing to try to get the three holy sites necessary to reform norse paganism, but i was being outpaced by the jarl of green bay. this guy was nicknamed "the lame" and he was one of those rulers who was too cursed to die. one handed, one armed, alcoholic, in the warrior society with a negative PCS - i was also in the warrior society and i kept antagonizing this guy, hoping that i could duel him, kill him, break up his collection of tribal duchies, and take the various holy sites he had collected for myself. but no, the bastard never wanted to fight me, and every time i watched him get measles or the flu he would bounce back, weaker and more twisted then ever

seriously for decades we dueled, waiting to get control of the last holy site, i had two, he had two, constantly interfering in each others plans. i had rivaled him straight into dirt but the bare few times he was healthy enough to duel i never had the chance to kill him. so eventually he gets the third holy site and immediately installs the fylkir, on the back of the sky-high MA i provided by rampaging up and down the coast. and he picked terrible reformation choices too, the fucker

anyway the first thing the new viking pope did, the day after he was seated, was excommunicate the jarl of green bay and then he was merked by one of his own zealous vassals. the end, no moral

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I love stories like these :allears:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Jarl of Norwood-Young America

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
After the End to me is the best mod for emergent gameplay/story in my opinion, I wish I could explain why.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's a good start for After the End?

EDIT: Still unclear on what's the strategy for expanding secret societies. My last playthrough I only got two people to adopt my faith secretly, and neither joined the secret society aftwerwards.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 10, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SirPhoebos posted:

Dandridge (Duke of Piedmont in Virginia) or Wayne (Patrician of Wayne, in New York) are both good Americanist starts, with either Hudsonia or the HCC looking over your shoulder until you can solidify your power. Paul Mahonic of Boston is my favorite Occultist start, the only feudal Lord in the area with the power to get out from under the thumb of his overlord and expand aggressively. The Voodoo Doge of New Orleans is fun for a more Carribbean focused game, wait until the empire collapses and execute a hostile takeover, with zombies. Or the Duchess of Portland for a Gaian start, reform the Kingdom of Cascadia and end the patriarchy by force.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vichan posted:

After the End to me is the best mod for emergent gameplay/story in my opinion, I wish I could explain why.

I think it's because it's its own thing rather than trying to emulate something else. With the vanilla historical setting or even with the various settings plundered from fantasy there's always that thought in the back of your head that goes "does this really reflect how things should be?". Whereas in AtE (and also in Stellaris to an extent) there's no frame of reference for how things "should" go, which means that the way things are is always accurate and amazing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

depends on what you want to do, there's tons of good starts. what is your preferred starting point in vanilla ck2 - vassal, count, god-emperor of all? do you like the political game, or the conquest game? what is your favorite vanilla religion to play? do you like merchant republics?

Quorum posted:

Dandridge (Duke of Piedmont in Virginia) or Wayne (Patrician of Wayne, in New York) are both good Americanist starts, with either Hudsonia or the HCC looking over your shoulder until you can solidify your power. Paul Mahonic of Boston is my favorite Occultist start, the only feudal Lord in the area with the power to get out from under the thumb of his overlord and expand aggressively. The Voodoo Doge of New Orleans is fun for a more Carribbean focused game, wait until the empire collapses and execute a hostile takeover, with zombies. Or the Duchess of Portland for a Gaian start, reform the Kingdom of Cascadia and end the patriarchy by force.

these are good suggestions

merchant republic of new york city is the venice of ATE and it has huge snowball potential, though it's been a bit nerfed in the most recent update

paul mahonic of boston is still great for a pagan stompfest

duchess kaitlin of portland just got a big buff, though the gaian mechanics are still a bit anemic

anywhere in california is fun for the unique california empire mechanics

duke huey latimer of tuskegee is a fun vassal run of the HCC, which is the equivalent of the HRE - you can form the grand duchy of alabama without too much trouble and break up the empire from within

there are more crusade mechanics now - the midwestern catholics, the quebecois lady-catholics, the mexican sagrado corazon have reconquistas, the mormons have expeditions

since they designed the map from the ground up it's pretty fun all over, and the fan fork continuation has been generally ok about tweaking things so that there's no really bad or boring parts of the map

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Would New York be a good place to learn playing a Merchant Republic for the first time?

EDIT: I'm still very much in the trying stuff out phase.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Weird that you can’t plot to kill your own offspring, but can imprison and execute them with no cause.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

Would New York be a good place to learn playing a Merchant Republic for the first time?

yeah, honestly. you won't reach a tenth of new york's full hulk out potential but you've got no real competition, not many people are going to try to raid you, and unless you piss someone off, nobody's going to try to invade you that hard

tips:

-murder everyone. if you want to be a scheming poisoning bastard then merchant republics are the way to go. you don't have to be the meanest guy who ever lived but, if that's what you want to do, then merchant republics deeply reward that playstyle
-crank out kids. all the kids. have shitloads of kids. each male adult of your dynasty in your court adds to your trade post limit. you want your trade post limit to be as high as possible. train your daugters to be poisoners and matrimarry them to be breeders in your court. you can get 500% plot power easy as your entire dynasty lines up to stab people who oppose the Family
-you cannot change out from the republic electoral style, and you cannot go agnatic-cognatic. it's hardcoded. the best way to ensure your succession is to murder the other families into dust
-regarding trade, it is complicated. basically you just want the largest contiguous trade zone possible. don't bother setting up two half size trade zones, make one big giant trade zone
-if you have a trade post in another ruler's realm, you have a special CB to seize a city in that county with the trade post. later, when you have a city, you can seize the county. this is your main method of expansion until you start holy warring
-you can seize cities on behalf of other families. they get the city. if they are a different religion and you have the religious title revocation law, you can steal the cities from them. heresies count as different religions. also this doesn't make anyone mad except for people of that religion
-remember not to land members of your dynasty as republican counts/dukes/kings. mayors of cities do not pass their titles to heirs! if you have spare male dynasts and you want to spread your dynasty, give them castle baronies and make them vassals under a count mayor

-specifically regarding new york, try something like this on your playthrough
--immediately, before you unpause the game, take out a loan
--build trade posts in manhattan, brooklyn, long island, and palisades
--make a list of who should get murdered first. murder the baron of harlem before he produces heirs. murder the count of palisades. murder everyone, all of the time
--save up your money (you will earn money very quickly) to start building the palace upgrade. the palace is a special offmap holding accessible from the republic menu and it will give you more trade posts
--also maybe build the special trade post holding in manhattan before you repay the loan
--once you form the kingdom of gotham you'll be sitting pretty
--balance new trade post locations based on if it expands your single large trade zone, versus if you will be able to steal cities and expand down the coast
--if you control both the kingdom of gotham (not too hard to do) and the kingdom of columbia (can be tougher since you can't easily fight fellow americanists) and you are the President (americanist pope, kinda) then you can reform the Empire of America. if you move very quickly you can reform America before July 4, 2776, but it is tough!
--there's also a special event to reform the Empire State if you holy war hudsonia away, this will replace the crowns of gotham and hudsonia with the larger new york state empire crown. take vermont from the occultists before you do this for extra lols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lazyhound posted:

Weird that you can’t plot to kill your own offspring, but can imprison and execute them with no cause.

That's just some completely ordinary and natural disciplining gone wrong. Having to plot to do the same is just not worthy of any good parent.