Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MarcusSA posted:

Which one one of the N30 pros would be the best? I see that one has concave buttons and one doesn’t?

According to Miyamoto himself, the concave buttons were an improvement over the original design and he wished he'd thought of it.

Personally I don't like them, they're rough on the thumbs and I've been playing long enough that I always know what button I'm pressing. I guess back in those days the diamond shaped button layout was new and confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It comes out October, not September.

That said, it's hard to get a 100% feel for it. There's a lot of potential positivity around it and it looks amazing but this is their first RPG and we can't really say how well that'll pan out.

As a backer going by the backer demo that hasnt been updated in a year, the combat and traversal is really solid. What I can't be sure about at all is the plot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

gently caress you all, Wrecking Crew unironically owns, and holy poo poo, I didn't know the very excellent Fire 'N Ice was the sequel to Solomon's Key!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heath posted:

The American style purple and lavender buttons are like the real American SNES controller and X and Y are concave. The other one has the all four rounded Japan/European style buttons. I picked up the American style one for that reason.

Ahhhh! OK that makes sense!

Yeah I was 99% sure that was the one I wanted anyway and its like what I remember.

The fact that you can pair the controller with like 4 different things and its very well made is amazing.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The other day, I was kind of paralyzed by options, when it came to either playing SNES games, or Genesis/Megadrive games (via the Classics Collection). I love both systems, and I spent way too long trying to decide. Remember back in the day when you could only rent what was available at whatever store you happened to be in?

That gave me an idea for a thread; we choose from the easily accessible libraries of NES, SNES, Gen/MD, and maybe NeoGeo, and once a week, we all play and talk about the same game, just like we might have with our friends out on the schoolyard, or if they slept over and we played it all night.

I'd like to kind of style it in a way that was as if we were all collectively returning a game and renting a new one (sometimes two!) every Friday. We play (together, if/when possible), we discuss, we analyze, we meme... And then on Friday, we do it all again with another game.

Who'd be down for this? I'd love to OP it.

I'm two pages behind but wanted to say I think this is an awesome idea and I would probably participate, especially since I have NES / SNES / Genesis on my Switch and would emulate anything else.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
So...astral chain. I got to case 3 and was hoping to opposite of most..I want a super simple button mashy combat. I never get along with Platinum games. Is it worth it to play the "unchained" mode?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

According to Miyamoto himself, the concave buttons were an improvement over the original design and he wished he'd thought of it.

Personally I don't like them, they're rough on the thumbs and I've been playing long enough that I always know what button I'm pressing. I guess back in those days the diamond shaped button layout was new and confusing

This concept reached its apex form with the GameCube which gave the buttons atypical sizes, placements, and an overall hierarchy that matches the range of your thumb, with no abrasive buttons

I think the concave buttons are dope tho, I get lost on the Switch Pro all the time

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

gently caress you all, Wrecking Crew unironically owns

:yeah:

I'm not very good at it because I'm a dumb dumb but unlike a lot of the other black box games the design of Wrecking Crew means it doesn't really age the same way a lot of them have.

Then again, I'm also the person that will say Clu Clu Land is good so

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tensai posted:

So...astral chain. I got to case 3 and was hoping to opposite of most..I want a super simple button mashy combat. I never get along with Platinum games. Is it worth it to play the "unchained" mode?

Combat's a lot more forgiving than the game makes it out to be; Smack/shoot things with your X-Baton, press ZL when it flashes, and dodge as necessary. You don't absolutely need Slash countering and the like to survive like in Metal Gear Rising, they just make combat more interesting if you want to take advantage of it, and the only technique you really need is knowing to put your Chain in the way of an enemy setting up to charge.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

RandomFerret posted:

Drift just means the centre of the analogue stick is moving off from where the system thinks it is. That can result in any number of control issues, depending on the game. Character moving when they shouldn't, not moving when they should, going in a slightly wrong direction, too slow, etc. Some games have a big enough dead zone in the centre that it doesn't even make a noticeable difference

What if I'm only noticing control issues in one game? Like I said, I'm sometimes having trouble playing Smash with the Joycon sideways. When attached to the Switch, it's fine for the most part

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

when its physically attached maybe theres a higher polling rate or soemething, which counteracts controller wonk??

i dunno :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe you just aren't good at Smash?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

They were good in the NES days.

Like Super Mario World was cool and all, but Super Mario Bros. 3 was still the better game to me in them days. LttP was better than Zelda 1, but that leap in gameplay and QoL was huge and it wasn't like I threw away Zelda 1. Kirby's Adventure came out well into the SNES era and was great.

Now Atari 2600 to NES, that's a real jump.

Probably the best game on the Atari 2600 (and the second best selling game on the entire system) was 1982's Pitfall!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXMYw1lXY0

Three years later Super Mario Bros came out with the NES. That was the jump from Atari 2600 to NES - and it makes the difference between the NES and the SNES look tiny.

The best selling game on the entire system, of course, was the legendary Atari 2600 port of Pac-Man that arguably destroyed the entire North American video game market in 1982.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2p2ANFlQ4
(The reason the ghosts appear to jump around is that the limits of the Atari 2600 meant that only one ghost could be displayed on any frame.)

And then there are the RPGs. Before The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Quest 1 came out in early 1986 RPGs were a PC-exclusive thing driven by walls of text and normally more math than you could shake a stick at.

Compared to the NES the SNES was a disappointment - yes it was a better system, but the NES was revolutionary and groundbreaking, while the best games on the SNES are mostly sequels and logical iterations, and almost any standard by which the NES is short of good games is one in which good games almost did not exist at all before the NES showed what could be done.

(And Clu Clu Land was arguably the second best example in its genre of Pac-man like move-and-dodge vertically and horizontally single screen games with extreme and relevant hardware limits. Calling it good is fair, as is being glad the genre disappeared).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Clu Clu Land cannot fail, it can only be failed

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe you just aren't good at Smash?

Thank you for that helpful comment

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The best Smash players use intentionally broken controllers, so you're one step away from going pro.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

The best selling game on the entire system, of course, was the legendary Atari 2600 port of Pac-Man that arguably destroyed the entire North American video game market in 1982.
(The reason the ghosts appear to jump around is that the limits of the Atari 2600 meant that only one ghost could be displayed on any frame.)

Having played a lot of it as a kid I can say that this video is a little unfair, the effect on a CRT in the 80s was more like the ghosts flickered very perceptibly, which arguably was on-brand for ghosts. The port was still poo poo though and absolutely deserved the thrashing it got.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just played an hour and change of Kirby Golf with a pal and it fuckin rips. Great experience on NSO due to lag being not important. Just super fun in general.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

neonchameleon posted:

Probably the best game on the Atari 2600 (and the second best selling game on the entire system) was 1982's Pitfall!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXMYw1lXY0

Three years later Super Mario Bros came out with the NES. That was the jump from Atari 2600 to NES - and it makes the difference between the NES and the SNES look tiny.

And then there are the RPGs. Before The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Quest 1 came out in early 1986 RPGs were a PC-exclusive thing driven by walls of text and normally more math than you could shake a stick at.

Compared to the NES the SNES was a disappointment - yes it was a better system, but the NES was revolutionary and groundbreaking, while the best games on the SNES are mostly sequels and logical iterations, and almost any standard by which the NES is short of good games is one in which good games almost did not exist at all before the NES showed what could be done.

(And Clu Clu Land was arguably the second best example in its genre of Pac-man like move-and-dodge vertically and horizontally single screen games with extreme and relevant hardware limits. Calling it good is fair, as is being glad the genre disappeared).

I kinda compare Pitfall to Super Mario Bros. in that those are games that appear to push the stock hardware to the maximum limit, and in that regard Pitfall and lot of Activision's output on the Atari was impressive. The difference is that developers found out how to push beyond the NES's limits with mapper chips and such, which turned the console, based on 1983 hardware, into a ridiculous platform where the evolution of games in on it truly impressed. Kirby's Adventure came out like ten years after the Famicom's debut and looks like it shouldn't even be possible on that hardware.

SNES did those specialized chips to extend the limits of the hardware, bit I feel as if the jump from 1990 to 1996 wasn't as noticeable. And like you mentioned, games on the SNES were the logical progression of NES, which is fine, and the console has a lot of titles that stand the test of time. But the jump from, say, Zelda 1 to LttP isn't as big a jump as from Adventure on Atari to Zelda 1.

That all being said, retro game retrospectives are so focused on "here are the best games" and not so much "how did we get here" or "why should we care about game history" especially in a time where people simultaneously care about game archival but not so much game history.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Why is the height of DQ11's modern quality of life features the ability to invert your camera controls? Is it really so much to ask for a text speed option or a camera sensitivity slider? I get it was originally developed years ago and on the 3DS, but that still should have been just as ridiculous there as it is here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

nessin posted:

Why is the height of DQ11's modern quality of life features the ability to invert your camera controls? Is it really so much to ask for a text speed option or a camera sensitivity slider? I get it was originally developed years ago and on the 3DS, but that still should have been just as ridiculous there as it is here.

Forget it Jake, it's Dragon Quest.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
Well, I was going to re-up on my Switch Online subscription, since it seemed like there would be more stuff to look forward to with the SNES games added to the mix, but recent news has caused me to hold back on that for now.

Looks like all future NES/SNES games released on the service will no longer adhere to a monthly schedule.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Botman posted:

Well, I was going to re-up on my Switch Online subscription, since it seemed like there would be more stuff to look forward to with the SNES games added to the mix, but recent news has caused me to hold back on that for now.

Looks like all future NES/SNES games released on the service will no longer adhere to a monthly schedule.

Be brave, be safe!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Botman posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean fewer releases though. It morel likely means they're not stuck making sure a release meets an arbitrary date with no leeway.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Botman posted:

the guarantee of having monthly access to a few ancient games that are probably OK at best and bad at worst...gone??

drat

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 8, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nessin posted:

Isn’t this stuff in the in game options menu

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean fewer releases though. It morel likely means they're not stuck making sure a release meets an arbitrary date with no leeway.

Given the incredibly slow drip feed of NES games with the monthly schedule, I have my doubts that this won't be an excuse to slow the releases even further. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

Bulgakov posted:

the guarantee of having monthly access to a few ancient games that are probably OK at best and bad at worst...gone??

drat

It was the only reason I was still interested in the subscription service. I don't need it for Warframe, and the only online game I played that required a sub was Splatoon 2, and I quit after the final Splatfest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Botman posted:

Hold your ground friend and we will pray for you 🙏🏻

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Fallom posted:

Isn’t this stuff in the in game options menu

No. There is nothing for text speed. There is an option for speeding up the camera, but it's about from the pace of a snail to a tortoise on the Indoor slider and only slightly better on the outdoor option. I'm not even convinced there is a difference in the indoor speed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Botman posted:

gently caress, I thought I had too many great games to play but it looks like Nintendo is doomed :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They'll never get to the best SNES games at this rate, such as the Squaresoft games that will never be on the service or Bebe's Kids

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mercury Crusader posted:

They'll never get to the best SNES games at this rate

they already have Star Fox

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know it's probably not possible, but if this gets SNES SimCity I will never leave my toilet again.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

nintendo should make a 60fps version of snes star fox, like i think they kinda did but just for one of those 3 second wario games

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Give us Run Saber you absolute cowards

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know it's probably not possible, but if this gets SNES SimCity I will never leave my toilet again.

You will regret this!!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zas posted:

nintendo should make a 60fps version of snes star fox, like i think they kinda did but just for one of those 3 second wario games

Stunt Race FX too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Consummate Professional posted:

You will regret this!!!

snes sim city only had mr wright there was no transportation advisor

incidentally the transportation advisor wasn't in the snes version of sim city 2000 either

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Release Pikman 4 already. What’s the hold up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm actually surprised Star Fox 2 wasn't part of the lineup. Guess they want that just on the SNES Mini for now to keep the backstock clearing out or something.