Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jesus christ, bibs

JackSplater posted:

I always pictured OMD as a dungeon defenders clone. Which is, as stated, a hybrid TD/TPS.

OMD predates dungeon defenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

New Leaf posted:

Hey now, Forsaken was really good! And if you're playing Destiny for the story, you might want to look for a different series.. That said, I have been on a multi-month hiatus but might get pulled in for Shadowkeep in October.

A lot of forsaken's mechanical changes were vital to the game not being a turd, yeah and it sounds like a lot of the changes coming are going to be just as important, the irony being a lot of them are, more or less, just reminiscent of Taken King style gameplay or mechanics. But yeah it's not that there is no story, it's that a lot of the optional content doesn't really seem to have anything for you to do but increasingly tedious grind. I like the grind when it actually wants me to do cool stuff (I think I'm in the minority that enjoyed a lot of the year one exotic quest lines, and didn't mind the quest chain for Ace at all. Whisper owned, too.) but a lot of the fancier quest chains I have right now mostly just seem to be "Kill a whole bunch of dudes in increasingly specific ways, across half the activities in the game." Making me dip into raids or nightfalls kind of sucks because most of my friends don't play anymore, either because they quit not long after I did or because they're waiting for Shadowkeep, and I genuinely don't have much fun doing the raids anyway.

At least the Last Word just expects me to kill a lot of people in PVP. I can do that no problem since people still seem to be blind to titans charging at them full tilt.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I am some hours into Pillars of Eternity, and OK I get that it might as well be Baldur's Gate 4: Pillars of Eternity, but everything seems so freaking bleak and miserable that I am really struggling to keep going. My dude is lvl 4, and about to hit 5, except that I just recently found that ranger NPC who basically is a clone of my character. I still miss a "thief" on my party, to put it in DND terms. So should I start over?

I felt the same way, but the game does get a lot less pointlessly tragic once you get into the second act in the giant city. You can help people, and it actually makes their lives better without anything backfiring, sometimes.

I remember the third act has more, like, dumb decisions. Like, I just never finished a quest because both ways of resolving it were dumb and I wanted to keep the baby.

Thieves are unnecessary, just have someone pump up mechanics.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dilb posted:

Like, I just never finished a quest because both ways of resolving it were dumb and I wanted to keep the baby.

You can, and doing so is reflected in the sequel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The correct approach is to kill everyone involved except the baby, and then raise the baby, who your character leaves in the care of a drunken sailor who lets this small furry child get smashed on ale with him. There's even an optional difficulty setting where the child follows you around like a pet and counts as a character in combat, and the game ends if she dies because how dare you.

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...

Der Kyhe posted:

I am some hours into Pillars of Eternity, and OK I get that it might as well be Baldur's Gate 4: Pillars of Eternity, but everything seems so freaking bleak and miserable that I am really struggling to keep going. My dude is lvl 4, and about to hit 5, except that I just recently found that ranger NPC who basically is a clone of my character. I still miss a "thief" on my party, to put it in DND terms. So should I start over?

What am I expected to do really? The endless thing underneath my keep is kicking my rear end after level 3, and I am low on money so I cannot upgrade my keep; should I just stick to the story or what? The world seems freaking miserable and there are no obvious leads to do anything which would make my character any better than some random party member I just found out.

My point being that the game really does not hand out upgrades to the character does it? And moreso, what am I actually expected to do, besides be a party leader in a dying high-fantasy realm? It seems that the map encounters do not even respawn so I cannot level grind. I liked the open world of Fallout: New Vegas and bought this because of Obsidian, but this is just telling me to "get gud" and giving no hints on what to actually do.

You don't really need a thief/rogue, just pump up the mechanics skill on someone. Or make a rogue hireling if you really want one for flavor. Same with the ranger party member, use her or don't.

The Endless Paths are meant to be tackled as you gain levels and gear, same with keep upgrades w/ cash. Treat both of them like a side diversion while you hit up the big city for quests and story.

edit: It's been a while since I last played it but I'm pretty sure you can respec everyone at shops and bars and such however many times you want.

Kimchi Surplus has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Sep 7, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kimchi Surplus posted:

edit: It's been a while since I last played it but I'm pretty sure you can respec everyone at shops and bars and such however many times you want.

Yup, it costs money though. It's a fixed fee for every level. Shouldn't be a problem though unless you've been solving quests by handing people money every single time.

Inns also allow you to create NPCs. I created a fighter as soon as I entered the first village and he was a useful tank until I had enough folks to fill the party. Even then I used him a bunch of times in quests for your keep.

If you go to Raedric's Hold and end up fighting Raedric, know that it's a somewhat of a roadblock. Even when you have a full party. I ended up luring 2/3 of his bodyguards by firing an arrow with a stealthed ranger, and then dealing with the last third. I couldn't rest in between, so it was still tricky.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Sep 7, 2019

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
e: wrong thread

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ebola Roulette posted:

I agree but I mean you're kind of poo poo out of luck when you sign a contract without negotiating that poo poo upfront. It's not like GTA was unheard of. He knew he was playing a main character for a popular franchise.

I don't know the full details of that specific incident or how Rockstar handles their stuff in general but a big part of the voice actor's strike was that SOP in the industry was to not tell the actors what game they were giving their voice to, including only providing minimal information about their character and zero additional context. So it's quite possible he in fact did not know. Also while GTA has certainly had a higher degree of prominence in headlines, I think it's entirely plausible for a VA who isn't a big gamer to not realize that the same game that got in trouble for the naughty sex stuff also sells a bazillion copies without fail.

Shadow of War: One of the arenas had offered up a holy grail of an orc, who was immune to or enraged by just about everything, so I shamed him down to my level and then found him out in the world. The very second I break him and am about to recruit him, another follower shows up for no loving reason with a gift and then proceeds to "help" by clobbering him to death before I can do anything about it. I really struggle to parse that as anything but the game intentionally dicking me over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

John Murdoch posted:

I don't know the full details of that specific incident or how Rockstar handles their stuff in general but a big part of the voice actor's strike was that SOP in the industry was to not tell the actors what game they were giving their voice to, including only providing minimal information about their character and zero additional context. So it's quite possible he in fact did not know. Also while GTA has certainly had a higher degree of prominence in headlines, I think it's entirely plausible for a VA who isn't a big gamer to not realize that the same game that got in trouble for the naughty sex stuff also sells a bazillion copies without fail.

I mean the guy who did Kellogg, significant villain of Fallout 4, found out that he was in Fallout 4 at the same time as everyone else heard his voice.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Astral Chain has this really frustratingly videogamey style of level design, like where a shin-high pipe or a waist-high ledge or a five-foot drop are completely impassible obstacles that require me to find some roundabout path to get around them. Despite me controlling a magical invisible floating monster that can literally fly, and can pull me to it to cross gaps and whatnot. And heaven forbid you accidentally walk too far forward in a level while trying to figure out how to get to an item, because the game loves to throw up magical barriers behind you that block you from going to earlier parts of the level once you've progressed far enough.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Triarii posted:

Astral Chain has this really frustratingly videogamey style of level design

new thread title?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

new thread title?

There's bad videogamey like random loot just spread everywhere with no rhyme or reason like Bioshock Infinite- cotton candy in a barrel along with shotgun shells, a pineapple in a cash register- or platformers where spikes are instant total death if you so much as press a toe on them.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Triarii posted:

Astral Chain has this really frustratingly videogamey style of level design, like where a shin-high pipe or a waist-high ledge or a five-foot drop are completely impassible obstacles that require me to find some roundabout path to get around them. Despite me controlling a magical invisible floating monster that can literally fly, and can pull me to it to cross gaps and whatnot. And heaven forbid you accidentally walk too far forward in a level while trying to figure out how to get to an item, because the game loves to throw up magical barriers behind you that block you from going to earlier parts of the level once you've progressed far enough.

How is the game itself? I keep hearing great things, but I'm deep into Fire Emblem. It was going to be my next purchase.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

New Leaf posted:

How is the game itself? I keep hearing great things, but I'm deep into Fire Emblem. It was going to be my next purchase.

The combat is pretty dang good, probably the most I've enjoyed a Platinum game since Metal Gear Rising, though it is "cluttered" in the way their combat often is - you have a goddamn ton of options in a fight and you're probably going to forget half of them exist at any given time. There are some talking bits where you pretend to be a police detective in between the fights, which are fine for pacing things out but nothing exciting. Every now and then there's a random minigame or very light puzzle, which range from bland to pretty annoying. I kind of wish it stuck to the combat more, because it's very solid but I guess they felt it had to be balanced out with a bunch of non-combat stuff.

It also has a bunch of strange and whimsical things like taking time out of fighting extradimensional monsters to rescue stray cats, and collecting toilet paper to give to the toilet fairy that inhabits one of the bathroom stalls at police HQ.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Voice actors not knowing what game they were doing work for was actually a significant part of their latest big strike.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I feel like most Platinum games are just their standard level structure attached to a new combat gimmick, and the gimmick in this one is pretty cool. The levels that feel like introduction last maybe a bit too long, but it's not an FFXIII situation or anything. Perfect dodging is a lot less powerful than in a typical Platinum game which makes the flow of combat feel surprisingly different.

As for the plot/setting, it's just Evangelion, like, straight up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like most Platinum games are just their standard level structure attached to a new combat gimmick, and the gimmick in this one is pretty cool. The levels that feel like introduction last maybe a bit too long, but it's not an FFXIII situation or anything. Perfect dodging is a lot less powerful than in a typical Platinum game which makes the flow of combat feel surprisingly different.

As for the plot/setting, it's just Evangelion, like, straight up.

Dodging as a whole feels a lot less powerful, especially compared to Nier Automata which is probably its closest relative within Platinum. In their games dodging is usually a pretty strong movement option, albeit one you usually have to time well when actually avoiding attacks, but Astral Chain's is a pretty short quickstep, closer I think to Dark Souls than anything else that comes to mind. It makes for an interesting change of pace among Platinum games, because movement feels a lot less 'safe'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Sep 8, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gears 5, pretty fun game so far. Especially so since it's only like, 2usd.
(2 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or whatever for 2usd. Which also means access to the PC versions of games.)

You spend a decent section of the game as 2 people and a robot. And it works very well.
And then later you suddenly get a full squad of 4, plus the robot.

And holy hell it's so incredibly loving frustrating.
They have a bad habit of clustering up around you unless you work to keep your distance from the rest of the group, especially in more cramped environments.

Annoying AI checkmark list:
Giant musclemen stopping, and completely blocking off hallways and narrow spaces? Check.
Them being too dumb to recognize that you want to pass, and you just have to grind up against them sometimes? Check.
Game locks some interactables, like elevators until everyone is on, even the robot? (Even though the robot consistently warps around.) Check.
Game waits until everyone is on the elevator, even though it immediately starts warping them around? Check
Game waits around until everyone is on the elevator, even though door prompts on the other hand will happily warp the AI to you? Check.

Them constantly blocking line of fire, and then whining when stray bullets hit them? Check.

By loving god, I wish the game just had you split the party regularly. And only have you use all 4 people at once in larger areas/gunfights where it really works.
Throughout the Prologue this was done regularly, which gave me the impression they would do the same once I'm in the game proper again, but no.

e: Let's not forget:
Have to reload a checkpoint after a battle, because one of the AIs froze, and the game doesn't override+warp him to the scripted interaction point to progress the mission.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Sep 8, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Witcher 3 again.

Been reading the thread after giving up on the game and one thing I that could improve games like this would be to cut down on the junk collecting aspect of it. You wind up hoovering up crap before getting encumbered and then having to fast travel back to a merchant and selling it all. Crafting helps but even that can be a drag too if you're running around looking for one specific flower or monster kidney to complete your recipe.

It may not be as immersive but I think they should just drop more actual cash, jewelry and and gems in these games with an occasional collectible item or special weapon here and there. Vacuuming up swords and armor you can't use just to sell later and inspecting every candle holder and cup gets old and I think a less is more approach would help matters. Encumberance in these games isn't any more fun than it is in table top D&D.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Encumbrance was never a good mechanic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BiggerBoat posted:

Encumberance in these games isn't any more fun than it is in table top D&D.

100% agreed, that game was particularly egregious too. I didn't hate it or anything, but stuff like that helped drag it down a bunch from what I was hoping for given the recommendations. Eventually I just stopped bothering to pick anything up outside of special cases because I was so sick of the encumbrance shuffle, which makes it play better but also eventually screws you over when you need something in particular.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Witcher 3 again.

Been reading the thread after giving up on the game and one thing I that could improve games like this would be to cut down on the junk collecting aspect of it. You wind up hoovering up crap before getting encumbered and then having to fast travel back to a merchant and selling it all. Crafting helps but even that can be a drag too if you're running around looking for one specific flower or monster kidney to complete your recipe.

It may not be as immersive but I think they should just drop more actual cash, jewelry and and gems in these games with an occasional collectible item or special weapon here and there. Vacuuming up swords and armor you can't use just to sell later and inspecting every candle holder and cup gets old and I think a less is more approach would help matters. Encumberance in these games isn't any more fun than it is in table top D&D.

inventory management has been awful in all the witcher games and downloading a mod that removes it made it so i actually liked playing them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just make inventory management like Resident Evil 4 and give me a (larger) grid that I have to do little Tetris type poo poo to fit in there. Put the "combine" option right over the objects too and let me experiment making cool poo poo. Inventory management was fun as hell in RE4 and I got OCD after a while keeping my little briefcase all neat and tidy.

Even make certain valuables different weird shapes and let me sort that poo poo out then drastically dial down the number of items that really loving matter. Give me a global storage box if you want.

Problem solved.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I dunno, I loved Inventory Tetris but I think it'd wear me down fast in a context where you're picking up more small numbers of ammo/herbs/etc with relatively little variety.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Remove inventory and weight management in general. Let me carry my poo poo around

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I dunno, I loved Inventory Tetris but I think it'd wear me down fast in a context where you're picking up more small numbers of ammo/herbs/etc with relatively little variety.

Well, maybe.

But ok. Just make a slightly larger grid and get rid of a lot of the small herbs bogging poo poo down. Reduce the number of ingredients required to make things to a base level and then add more options under the "combine" menu so you can make more than one thing instead of "specific plant found only in 'x' locations". Maybe you can make 3 or 4 potions or oils with different poo poo. Reduce the amount of EVERYTHING so it's all manageable within the Tetriscase. Or, if you have to, have a tetriscase and then maybe another pouch for herbs and poo poo.

I just found myself overwhelmed, micromanaging and spending WAY too much time in the submenus instead of doing cool poo poo and taking in the environment. I couldn't even tell what was worth a poo poo and what to break down or combine. Seriously made me quit a game I was nearly in love with because come the gently caress on. I started just selling everything and then hosed myself over even worse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I left out a word, I was worried about dealing with more than the handful of stuff you pick up on RE4, but I think the discussion still makes sense.

BiggerBoat posted:

Reduce the amount of EVERYTHING so it's all manageable within the Tetriscase.

I think this is the key, Witcher and similar games already have more item drops and searchable stuff, not even getting into all the plants and stuff to collect. Just directly popping all that into the Tetris system like kinda scared me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I left out a word, I was worried about dealing with more than the handful of stuff you pick up on RE4, but I think the discussion still makes sense.

I think this is the key, Witcher and similar games already have more item drops and searchable stuff, not even getting into all the plants and stuff to collect. Just directly popping all that into the Tetris system like kinda scared me.

Yeah, I meant, like, you find (red, green, blue, yellow, purple) flower or (fish, reptile, undead, beast) body part and then those can be combined in different ways. The colors or whatever would stack so each one would take one little slot until they were combined to make "potion x". Also, have more than one way to make things. Not "just throw everything on a grid". Or, just give me the loving gold and save me a trip back to the merchant. The super grid full of 500 different plants and food is more or less what it is now and it loving sucks. Maybe some people enjoy it I dunno.

I'm talking about basically not even bothering to let you pick up or even interact with stuff that's generally poo poo or just busy work and dialing down the entire process to where Tetriscase becomes a neat little thing you do instead of aligning your Geralt perfectly against a shelf to pick up an iron mug you have to go into another menu to break it down and then either craft a sewing needle in yet another menu, read your recipe in another menu or trudge back into town to hock and/or some other boring bullshit that keeps me from looking at this BEAUTIFUL game that's amazingly rich in environment and flavor.

Witcher senses should be limited to only interesting things and not triggered by silverware sets, parsley and picture frames.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Sep 8, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Somewhat related to the inventory discussion: Not knowing whether this random item I picked will be useful later. West of Loathing tags some of the junk you get as "Just sell it" so you know you won't miss it but there is a whole lot of other items that feel like they're useless, but considering the tone of the game you can't really be sure. A bunch of teeth? A bar of soap? A lock? Maybe it's going to come up, maybe it won't ever and you'll hoard it all of the game just in case.

In this specific example at least it's a somewhat short game with enough dialogue options that you'll still make some progress even if you lack a key piece or some meat but more games need to either go back to making monster drop money or just give it straight to you what junk you can throw in the garbage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing dragging down the new monster hunter expansion is that it's releasing on PC several months later than other platforms. I think PC is a superior option to consoles in general, but in the case of MH:World in particular it's a huge improvement because (with an SSD) it gets rid of the godawful load times present in the console version. And apparently the load times in the expansion are even worse? Bleh. Oh well, plenty of stuff releasing in the meantime.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Somewhat related to the inventory discussion: Not knowing whether this random item I picked will be useful later. West of Loathing tags some of the junk you get as "Just sell it" so you know you won't miss it but there is a whole lot of other items that feel like they're useless, but considering the tone of the game you can't really be sure. A bunch of teeth? A bar of soap? A lock? Maybe it's going to come up, maybe it won't ever and you'll hoard it all of the game just in case.

In this specific example at least it's a somewhat short game with enough dialogue options that you'll still make some progress even if you lack a key piece or some meat but more games need to either go back to making monster drop money or just give it straight to you what junk you can throw in the garbage.

I can think of some scenarios where "delayed gratification" items make sense, like in Dark Souls the solidified souls (or w/e they're called) get to safely live in your inventory until popped and thus can persist through death. Or in games where inventory management is more of a thing, where you might need to choose between potential rewards later or survival now.

I was gonna say Darkest Dungeon was a good example of that second one, but then I remembered that gold works identically to the like 8 other treasure items so you just end up juggling between treasures of varying gold value and stack limits and it just turns into a mess instead of being particularly compelling.

But yeah I'm reminded of my recent playthrough of Kingdoms of Amalur where searching literal piles of gold and treasure would generally give you both an immediate chunk of coin AND gold nuggets which only existed to be sold to merchants. The only, thinnest reason to even have that be a thing is so that the Mercantile skill can net you a tiny bit more money by from selling the raw gold.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Sep 8, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For all that I've been praising the insane amount of great stuff in MGSV, there's still the occasional issue. The one I've been running into lately is the companion AI, it seems weirdly sloppy at times.

Usually this is just feeling briefly sad when your doggy companion runs in the way of your fist while you're trying to punch someone, or wanders around and parks right in front of you while you're camped out trying to snipe someone. The worst was just now, though, I was trying to rescue a group of child prisoners, and while they mostly just run around between cover points, one of them decided to move forward and ran right in front of me....while I was scoped in on an enemy and just pulling the trigger, failing the mission :arghfist::smith:

Stuff like that feels bizarrely out of place given how well-tuned 95% of the game is.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Darksiders III: At this point, I know not to expect quality work from this series, but they still surprise me at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siCYLxLEqZw

Not to mention that there are also frame drops during crowded combat sections

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Darksiders deserves credit as "the series neither you nor anyone you know are fans of, but continues to get ports and remasters". It's probably on the Switch now and will soon be available on Casio calculators.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Darksiders deserves credit as "the series neither you nor anyone you know are fans of, but continues to get ports and remasters". It's probably on the Switch now and will soon be available on Casio calculators.
I have, through various bundles, ended up with the entire series across PC and PS4. Never booted one up.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I liked Darksiders 1 and 2 for the most part until both games crashed near the end and became unplayable. Darksiders 2 starts off really strong, but the game peters out after a while, going from a vibrant open-world sort of thing to a very narrow, very generic levels which I never got to complete due to the aforementioned crash.

I downloaded DS3 since it was free. I might play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Space hulk deathwing.

Your allies block bullets and absolutely love to stand in the way. if you're walking toward them they'll even notice and politely walk in that direction too so that they continue to block your vision. A problem in a game with a lot of cramped hallways and characters who are six feet wide. this behavior also makes them love to walk through doors I'm about to lock. I have to give them move orders constantly and it's not because this is a good thing to do tactically but because it's the only way to keep them out of the goddamn way.

You can only equip 1 weapon at a time. All of the weapons are extremely inaccurate and designed to kill hordes of monsters rushing you, as you'd expect. so why are there tons of little hybrid shits that hide behind cover at long range and snipe at you with guns and missile launchers? it feels absolutely terrible trying to kill these assholes with weapons that aren't accurate past 5 feet, have massive recoil, and require 10 shots to kill one. there's an equippable lightning bolt power that can kill them at range except it's on a cooldown and it randomly swerve away from what you were aiming at.

There are suicide exploding genestealers. they have an absurdly loud audio cue to let you know they're coming, which is good on paper, except the sound often doesn't actually trigger until the exact moment they're already rounding a corner in your face. so you just randomly get suicide bombed and also get your eardrums ruptured IRL as a memento.

In the fourth level a very slow progress bar randomly appears at the top of the screen. it looks exactly like the progress bars that appear during sections where you just have to survive waves of enemies for awhile, i.e. you want it to fill up, but I did not observe any explanation for it being there. except when this bar fills up "MISSION FAILED" instantly appears with no dialogue or explanation of any kind. o....ok? apparently there's a timer on this section for some reason?

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Sep 9, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Samuringa posted:

Somewhat related to the inventory discussion: Not knowing whether this random item I picked will be useful later. West of Loathing tags some of the junk you get as "Just sell it" so you know you won't miss it...

Final Fantasy XII sort of does this, but messes it up. So they cleanly sort objects into equipment, consumables, and loot, the last of which can be safely sold. Items you sell, in any order, will open up deals in the 'Bazzar' section of every merchant in the world's menu, which are one-time only sales of goodies, so just sell your loot immediately! Except there's at least two hidden secret quests that involve selling a batch of items all at once, and they insist on sticking stuff like Teleport Crystals (the currency to use one of the game's like four fast-travel systems) in the Loot menu instead of Consumables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Final Fantasy XII also isn't helped by the bazaar either being bugged or them making the idiotic decision of wiping out your entire store of turn ins when you buy something, or however that particular mechanic worked. There are entire guides on how to stack turn ins to get the most mileage.