Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kesper North posted:

"War. Huh! What is it good for?" Fred Colon, I think.

"Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?" Definitely Nobby Nobbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

"War. Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." Fred Colon, I think.

I'm reading Jingo again, for probably the 3rd time, and I realized that I can't remember a single thing about it. It's like I'm reading it again for the first time. This is both nice and dismaying. Nice because I get to experience a 'new' Pratchett book again, but dismaying because there's probably a reason that it didn't stick out the first two time.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jingo is a bit like Reaper Man - great main plot (Vimes), weak secondary plot (Fred/Nobby/Patrician). The bits where Vimes has got the wrong personal disorganiser are amazing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sanford posted:

Jingo is a bit like Reaper Man - great main plot (Vimes), weak secondary plot (Fred/Nobby/Patrician). The bits where Vimes has got the wrong personal disorganiser are amazing.

And very coldly moving, at least in one spot

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stroth posted:

"Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?" Definitely Nobby Nobbs

That was a REALLY GOOD bit of dialogue.

Also very Pratchett.

Nothing is ever clear and simple.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Jingo is definitely one of Terry's that I didn't get until later in life. I was too young to have paid attention to any rhetoric about like
...I guess Desert Storm or anything around then until basically pre Afganistan invasion chest thumping and then it was like "ooooooh". Though to be fair I was 10 when Jingo was published.

Edit: actually my first exposure to any Desert Storm stuff culturally was Stormin Norman in whichever Johnny book he was in. I guess in Ireland we had bigger fish to fry in 91. But uh again I was only 5ish

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 8, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

iajanus posted:

And very coldly moving, at least in one spot

Yes I know what you mean and it’s basically the best page in the book. Things to do today.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sanford posted:

Yes I know what you mean and it’s basically the best page in the book. Things to do today.

gently caress that stirred it up again for me.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Two things I implore anyone who liked Jingo even slightly to be aware of; the first, at the risk of being slightly up my own arse, is something I did a while ago about what I get out of the extended Fred/Nobby/Patrician sequences, which quite a few people say they can't see the point of:

quote:

First, we get to see see Nobby and Colon out of their element as the ultimate foreigners (and, in Nobby's case, men) abroad, blundering through a foreign country with typical English (and male) sensitivity, and then growing as people by the end of it ("let's go to the Bunch of Grapes instead...") But the Gulli, Gulli and Beti sequence is about far more than Nobby not doing a belly dance and Fred pretending to be a stupid fat idiot.

That section also adds considerably to our understanding of Vetinari. It's easy to understand how, once in power, he stayed there. What this section gives us is some very useful glances at how he might have got himself there in the first place. It's a very useful and important piece of character depth to actually get to see Vetinari having to do things for himself, living by his wits and personally getting the donkey down from the minaret; IIRC the only other time we get to see him (as it were) on active service is when we meet him as a young man in Night Watch.

The other is an absolutely fantastic thing that someone wrote on Usenet back when it were all fields round here, and got a hearty thumbs up from Pterry; it's an analysis of what the hell Vetinari's actually playing at, which can be hard to get and which I certainly missed the first few times through.

quote:

One of the things that's always troubled me about J is the way Vetinari acts so out of character, dropping the helm of A-M and charging off on what is more than likely to be a wild goose chase (and one which, on the "real" leg of the trousers of time, turns out to be a failure, with A-M invaded). But then this discussion of the war got me wondering if it made any difference to my interpretation of Vetinari's behaviour if I assumed that he knew from the beginning of the book that Klatch was determined to invade. And it turns out it does.

It's easy to overlook what Vetinari is thinking in the opening chapters because we see him almost exclusively through Vimes' eyes, and Vimes perspective is utterly different - he's wrapped up in the here and now, wholly preoccupied with events in A-M, and misses the bigger picture altogether. His obsession with thinking of the Klatchians as the "good guys" is a clear warning to the reader that his perspective is unreliable, but it's all too easy to get caught up in his viewpoint just the same.

vvv I'm going to do a little Usenet mining and see what pops out. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 8, 2019

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Trin Tragula posted:

...The other is an absolutely fantastic thing that someone wrote on Usenet back when it were all fields round here, and got a hearty thumbs up from Pterry; it's an analysis of what the hell Vetinari's actually playing at, which can be hard to get and which I certainly missed the first few times through.

Thanks for linking that essay, because it really snaps into focus that part of the book which slightly bewildered me the first time. Are there any other intepretations like this for the other books people could rec?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just wanted to say reading the Guards series reinvigorated my desire to read like nothing ever has. I maybe read a new book two or three times a year, but this year alone I've read nearly 20 books, most of which are Discworld novels.

It was Sam Vimes, honestly. I've never related to a character more in my entire life. I didn't think I could. I've had to kick alcohol, and a very similar line of work where I have to wrestle with the same lowlifes and internal demons. I have the unconditional love and support of a woman who I think by all measurements is far too good for me. I'm having to learn how to give up my desire to chase bad guys for the sake of it, because now that someone cares about me it doesn't seem fair.

I don't know how Pratchett did it. I don't know how he captured it all so accurately. Just a few months ago I had to pull a guy off his wife who he was beating and I could feel what Pratchett called "the beast", I had red visions of me kicking that man in the head until he stopped moving. I wanted to hurt him and in the moment I didn't care if it killed him. I didn't do that of course, but I hated myself for feeling that way at all. I thought I was a monster. I still think I might be.

Sam Vimes has shown me that even if I am a monster, I can live my life like a good monster. The whole bit with the Summoning Dark? Beating, and turning it into what Vimes called "The Guarding Dark".

Sorry for the weird rambling post, just felt like sharing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You're not rambling. You're making perfect sense.

That struggle to turn the sum of our rage into a worthy guardian? That's in everyone. That's all of us.

We are all monsters and we are all wonders. We are the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.

How we face that challenge depends on where fate takes us, and where we put ourselves. Some of us face it more starkly and painfully than others; life is mortally unfair. But what you describe -

You're no more of a monster than I am.

Or Pratchett, because clearly he understood these things. I learned to see this truth in myself from reading the same books, at an age when I really needed to.

I think he gave the right approach to Vimes, too: Welcome the dark, speak to it, let it inform but not control or define you. You define it.

And read to your kids. (On time.)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The amazing thing about Jingo to me is how it seems like such a clear parody/reference to real world events but then you see it came out before the whole “war in iraq” thing happened.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Iraq wasn't exactly the first ever rodeo for anyone involved.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Iraq wasn't exactly the first ever rodeo for anyone involved.

It's like with Sherlock Holmes, almost regardless of what time you set that story in it will always make sense that Watson is an Afghanistan vet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well gently caress me, The Watch finally starts filming this month. Richard Dormer as Vimes, a non-binary person as Cheery Littlebottom and Carcer, which means they're doing Night Watch as a large part of the first season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm still feeling a little uneasy about the whole thing. Like I'm almost definitely sure it's going to be modern day-set with the occasional troll and golem wandering around.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean that is basically what Terry was working towards. I'll be happy if it nails the general tone and ideas of Discworld, doesn't even need to stick to the book plots or their order that closely.

... it does still need to be Discworld. Like, it'd be okay and interesting to get a visual interpretation of Discworld that's not as medieval as people think when they hear "fantasy", I'm even fine with some fairly radical reinterpretation, at the very least that would all help to make the setting more palatable to newcomers especially when the cosmology has so little impact on the Watch plots (notable exception: Fifth Elephant), but yeah I am gonna draw a fat red line at it being set in Ankh-Morpork on Discworld as opposed to London With Trolls.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bit worried by how young the actres they've picked for Sybil is. She's meant to be a matronly type in (I'm guesing) her 40s. Casting her as a black woman I am 100% behind though, if only because it'll piss off racists. And Discworld as written is pretty overwhwlmingly white (barring Jingo, I can't remember that many non-white ankh morpork based characters in the watch series wt least)

Rest of the casting looks pretty decent though tbh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re filming in South Africa, but I feel like I’d be happier if it was Croatia or Prague or something. Wherever they filmed the BBC Musketeers show.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Camrath posted:

Bit worried by how young the actres they've picked for Sybil is. She's meant to be a matronly type in (I'm guesing) her 40s. Casting her as a black woman I am 100% behind though, if only because it'll piss off racists. And Discworld as written is pretty overwhwlmingly white (barring Jingo, I can't remember that many non-white ankh morpork based characters in the watch series wt least)

Rest of the casting looks pretty decent though tbh

I was a bit worried about how young Sybil is as well, but Angua looks pretty fitting, as does Carrot.

And I'm trying to remember as it's been a while since my last reread, did he ever actually say what race people were? I mean, trolls he described as types of rock which would have different colors, but the rest I don't remember him saying anything at all. Maybe I just missed it.

During an interview he said who his perfect casting for Vimes was, but that that was his opinion only. You saw the characters as you wanted to see them, he just described the type of person they were and maybe stuff like hair cuts and height. The rest was left to the reader, which worked perfectly I thought.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a bit in Men At Arms where it says "in a world where dwarves and trolls walk the street, your neighbors skin colour isn't that much of a concern" (describing a certain day watch officer who would under those circumstances still aim racial slurs at humans), implying that there's a certain degree of racial heterogeneity in society, and there's a ton of stuff in Jingo like Colon mentioning "our race" and Nobby pointing out that he (Nobby) could conceivably pass for just about any type of human, as well as the whole of Jingo not really working if society as a whole isn't sufficiently homogenous-white enough to be pitched against the Klatchian portion. Plus bits and pieces here and there about Achatean citizens and Rincewind proudly calling himself a racist until he figured out it's not at all about speed competitions.

Really the way Discworld is set up with its general analogues to real-world societies you can pretty much assume it's a reasonably mixed society but everyone who isn't explicitly called out as Klatchian, Achatean and so on is probably Morporkian, i.e. predominantly white/British, although of course left open enough that you can easily slot in your own ideas.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it’s made explicit in one of the witches books, the New Orleans one. at one poit it’s explicitly stated that nanny had never seen a black person before (iirc) although the point of the sequence is that she doesn’t even notice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

They've cast Carcer, so maybe they're starting out with Night Watch (or other time related shenanigans) which could explain Sybil's age?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

They've cast Carcer, so maybe they're starting out with Night Watch (or other time related shenanigans) which could explain Sybil's age?

That’s the general theory, yeah. Starting out with Night Watch rather than building up to it is weird though.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

From the press releases, it looks like they're taking bits from across the Watch books, including Night Watch. E.g.: we've got a newbie Carrot joining a disempowered Watch (Guards! Guards!), which has Angua and Cheery (who joined in Men at Arms), with Angua as Carrot's mentor.

That said, there's distinct implications of messing with time as the main plot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Changes are probably a good idea.

Pratchett's take on people holds up, but a lot of his thoughts on policing have aged badly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Changes are probably a good idea.

Pratchett's take on people holds up, but a lot of his thoughts on policing have aged badly.

They were never good, if by that you mean the coppers aren't scum.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That fella they picked for Carrot is Carrot if ever I saw him.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Custodes tui omnia nothi

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Always wondered if Carrot should have a beard. The archetype of clean-cut policeman he represents certainly doesn't, but he's a dwarf.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Always wondered if Carrot should have a beard. The archetype of clean-cut policeman he represents certainly doesn't, but he's a dwarf.

i refuse to believe that carrot is capable of growing facial hair

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Or they're planning on building Carcer up as a bad guy before going full Night Watch. NW was the first time we met the character, but Vimes knew him all too well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Carrot is regularly considered to be a dwarf by other dwarves. He MUST have a beard.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Carrot’s is a beard of the spirit, which is difficult to capture in an image but becomes obvious as soon as you see him in person :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Or they're planning on building Carcer up as a bad guy before going full Night Watch. NW was the first time we met the character, but Vimes knew him all too well.

"Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality."

Looks like they may be giving him a backstory where he's a watchman gone bad. Not Our Carcer, really - he wouldn't want revenge on an unjust anything, because he wouldn't believe that anything was unjust.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

By that definition he also shouldn't be tall.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Alhazred posted:

By that definition he also shouldn't be tall.
What has his height got to do with him being a dwarf you loving racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jedit posted:

"Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality."

That honestly doesn't sound all that great...