Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Arkeus posted:

I think sometimes I played a different game, because one of the constant in BE route is that any time you take a hardline stance about killing people you lose Edelgard favorability.. I always read her as "She hates sacrifices and wants to be the only ones doing them if possible", not "Violent revolutions are the only way to go".

.Except Cornelia lol. She likes it if you dance on her grave and say "we 100% wanted to kill her" in front of Thales and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rhea's motivations are:

1. Mom
2. Prevent another dragon genocide

In that order. She needs or thinks she needs a position of power for the second but the first almost demands that she abdicate once Sothis shows up again. It takes her a bit of time to decide that Byleth is Sothis enough for her but her abdication is basically inevitable on any alternate reality where you don't piss her off so much she decides you aren't Sothis after all

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

She has a funny way of showing that what with setting up a religion to worship her mother with herself as the primary saint, then becoming supreme pope of that religion for more than a thousand years and killing people who didn't worship her mom.

Like something I seriously don't understand about the 'Byleth becomes pope!' routes is why the gently caress the Church would still exist post Rhea. It was entirely an artificial concept to worship a dead dragon and completely distorted history to venerate a weird mix of victims of a horrible genocide and some of its perpetrators. Why the hell should anyone continue it?

The purpose of the lie used to maintain the church's control over Fodlan was to control crests and suppress knowledge about their true nature, with the goal of preventing a second genocide against dragons (once the survivors started waking up) and thwarting the successors of the perpetrators of the first one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Like something I seriously don't understand about the 'Byleth becomes pope!' routes is why the gently caress the Church would still exist post Rhea. It was entirely an artificial concept to worship a dead dragon and completely distorted history to venerate a weird mix of victims of a horrible genocide and some of its perpetrators. Why the hell should anyone continue it?

Because artificial or not there's still a continent of devout believers in place who would probably react poorly and even violently to Byleth (who in the common citizenry's eye is basically some rando) replacing their beloved Arch Bishop and summarily tearing down the church? Do you think if tomorrow the Pope came out, said "lol the last 2000 years of church history was a lie and god is actually dead, sorry about that!" and then abdicated in favor of somebody else who started dismantling Catholicism, it would result in anything but bloody strife?

It makes sense that outside of the BE-E route the church would simply be reformed into a force for actual good instead of Rhea's instrument of authoritarianism, rather than torn down.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
unrelated, what do people think about this

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
bad

like lorenz

Sydin posted:

Because artificial or not there's still a continent of devout believers in place who would probably react poorly and even violently to Byleth (who in the common citizenry's eye is basically some rando) replacing their beloved Arch Bishop and summarily tearing down the church? Do you think if tomorrow the Pope came out, said "lol the last 2000 years of church history was a lie and god is actually dead, sorry about that!" and then abdicated in favor of somebody else who started dismantling Catholicism, it would result in anything but bloody strife?

It makes sense that outside of the BE-E route the church would simply be reformed into a force for actual good instead of Rhea's instrument of authoritarianism, rather than torn down.

I mean even in the BE-E route you don't totally destroy the church or anything.

Also if the DLC isn't related to any of the other routes, I wonder if it's going to be like, a golden ending type of deal? I feel like ending it on a Definite Bad Route would be kinda weird.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

bad

like lorenz
fair enough, have some wives to compensate

(from here)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blaziken386 posted:

unrelated, what do people think about this

They still pull it off better than Lorenz does

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :kimchi:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eldegard whole purpose is slashfic

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Am I missing something about class mastery? Why does it take forever?

Doing ng+ as BL and I really like Annette :)

I had Ingrid/Felix/Sylvan in my first play though as BE so seeing more about how they interact with the rest of BL is cool.

This game is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Edelgard with humanity is a dork rivaling Owain at times

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Edelgard with humanity is a dork rivaling Owain at times

She's just so proud to have come up with the name "Black Eagle Strike Force".

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

She's just so proud to have come up with the name "Black Eagle Strike Force".
you know, initially I was like "okay, we're gonna name the military section after the school section, cool, alright," but after learning that Edelgard is the only one who actually does that, it makes it 100% cuter and dorkier

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Edelgard's terrible secret is she is a huge dork who just wants to doodle pictures of the boy/girl she likes.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Someone please tell Edelgard about the tenacious breed of hunting dog whose name starts with "b" and ends with "eagle."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

lightrook posted:

Someone please tell Edelgard about the tenacious breed of hunting dog whose name starts with "b" and ends with "eagle."

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1166356885001428992

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The class names use German in Japanese so the joke makes a lot more sense when she spends like 10 seconds sputtering out schwarz adler wehr or whatever

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

McTimmy posted:

Edelgard's terrible secret is she is a huge dork who just wants to doodle pictures of the boy/girl she likes.

"Yeah so Edelgard spent the last five years sulking in her room and painting a picture of you. It's actually kinda pathetically hilarious."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Seteth actually burns books that tell the truth.

Does anyone actually see Rhea putting down her post peacefully? In the BL ending she disappears presumably after violence, but her end game seems to be murdering Byleth by having Sothis overwrite our protagonist. I can very easily see a scenario where Edelgard declares that the Adrestian Empire is no longer affiliated with the church and Rhea declaring holy war.

On Golden Deer, Rhea acknowledges that her plan to have Sothis replace Byleth's consciousness isn't going to work and that Sothis is gone, and she still decides that she trusts Byleth and sees them as their own person. It took a while--she definitely originally intended to have Byleth be overridden by Sothis and was devastated that it didn't work--but she gets there. She also peacefully abdicates her position, though it's also implied that she's dying. It's never outright stated that she dies on that route, but she mentions a few times that she doesn't have much time left after taking several missiles to the face to save Byleth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

On Golden Deer, Rhea acknowledges that her plan to have Sothis replace Byleth's consciousness isn't going to work and that Sothis is gone, and she still decides that she trusts Byleth and sees them as their own person. It took a while--she definitely originally intended to have Byleth be overridden by Sothis and was devastated that it didn't work--but she gets there. She also peacefully abdicates her position, though it's also implied that she's dying. It's never outright stated that she dies on that route, but she mentions a few times that she doesn't have much time left after taking several missiles to the face to save Byleth.

The only routes in which Rhea doesn't on-screen abdicate are BE-E Where she's living her worst nightmare, the return of Nemesis and the death of the remaining dragons. This, encapsulated by what's probably also pretty severe Manakete Degradation, pretty much pushes her into full insanity. and on BL Where she just... never appears. Which to be clear I'm cool with, because Blue Lions doesn't need Rhea in it. She'd just... not serve a purpose to a tightly plotted story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

The only routes in which Rhea doesn't on-screen abdicate are BE-E Where she's living her worst nightmare, the return of Nemesis and the death of the remaining dragons. This, encapsulated by what's probably also pretty severe Manakete Degradation, pretty much pushes her into full insanity. and on BL Where she just... never appears. Which to be clear I'm cool with, because Blue Lions doesn't need Rhea in it. She'd just... not serve a purpose to a tightly plotted story.

Yeah, and on BL, isn't it directly stated in the ending narration that Rhea steps down? She didn't appear on-screen but the narration does say that, or at least that's what I remember. So really the only route in which she doesn't step down is the route in which she goes fully insane and is killed.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

karma_coma posted:

Am I missing something about class mastery? Why does it take forever?

You're not, it takes a while.

Also:

This thread is extremely pro-click imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, class mastery takes a pretty long time for everything except the beginner classes (Noble and Commoner).

My guess is that they wanted to make it harder to have a character hop between a bunch of classes picking up amazing skills than it was in Fates. In Fates, you just had to be a certain level and could Heart/Partner/Friend Seal over to other classes, gain one level, and get a slew of skills really quickly. Get enough A+ supports and you can take a little tour of advanced classes and pick up a hilarious compliment of skills pretty quickly.

To be clear, though, I prefer the Fates style, because the Three Houses class mastery thing turns it into a real commitment to learn transferable skills. I dunno, maybe it's for the best that I can't super-easily get everyone Death Blow and Fiendish Blow, but still :colbert:

I'm still of the opinion that I'd rather go back to the Fates class system, with two tiers, branching promotions, and Heart Seals/Friendship Seals to optionally unlock other class paths for a character than their default one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Yeah, class mastery takes a pretty long time for everything except the beginner classes (Noble and Commoner).

My guess is that they wanted to make it harder to have a character hop between a bunch of classes picking up amazing skills than it was in Fates. In Fates, you just had to be a certain level and could Heart/Partner/Friend Seal over to other classes, gain one level, and get a slew of skills really quickly. Get enough A+ supports and you can take a little tour of advanced classes and pick up a hilarious compliment of skills pretty quickly.

To be clear, though, I prefer the Fates style, because the Three Houses class mastery thing turns it into a real commitment to learn transferable skills. I dunno, maybe it's for the best that I can't super-easily get everyone Death Blow and Fiendish Blow, but still :colbert:

It also barely matters because so few class mastery skills are worth a drat in 3 Houses. You've already listed 2 of the 4/5 total ones you might even want to grab

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Onmi posted:

"Yeah so Edelgard spent the last five years sulking in her room and painting a picture of you. It's actually kinda pathetically hilarious."

She's all of her fans if they were forced to be an emperor. It's great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

It also barely matters because so few class mastery skills are worth a drat in 3 Houses. You've already listed 2 of the 4/5 total ones you might even want to grab

Yeah, that's the other thing. Which is also what makes it a little frustrating to me--I'd love a reason for classes to sort of compete for time when it comes to class mastery. If you want to have a really optimized team you're almost certainly having every physical attacker spend like 10 levels as a Brigand for Death Blow, and every caster do the same as a Mage for Fiendish Blow. Meanwhile there's basically no reason to use Priest at all. Even your healers have offensive spells and Mage gets them Fiendish Blow, while Priest gets them... double the Heal spell charges as long as they're still a Priest?

Maybe I'd like the Three Houses system more if more class mastery skills were worth it and so it'd feel more rewarding to spend time as other classes.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. Which is also what makes it a little frustrating to me--I'd love a reason for classes to sort of compete for time when it comes to class mastery. If you want to have a really optimized team you're almost certainly having every physical attacker spend like 10 levels as a Brigand for Death Blow, and every caster do the same as a Mage for Fiendish Blow. Meanwhile there's basically no reason to use Priest at all. Even your healers have offensive spells and Mage gets them Fiendish Blow, while Priest gets them... double the Heal spell charges as long as they're still a Priest?

Maybe I'd like the Three Houses system more if more class mastery skills were worth it and so it'd feel more rewarding to spend time as other classes.

Ah I'm trying to care about class mastery this run and I know Brigand gets deathblow but nothing else about mastery skills. My Byleth is running as a priest because she looks better in the outfit. What does thief get you? Petra and Felix are killing it as thieves. Felix with a bow is fun, Petra's going dancer because quite honestly Sylvain is at the moment doing exactly what she does as a mercenary. His dex/speed might drop off later but for now he gets it done. He can dance if he starts to struggle in the next couple months. Any other mastery worth going for? I'm trying to use the noble/commoner mastery skills more. Shove is funny to me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's messed up you can't pet the dogs, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
swap and reposition are deffo things i like having around, even if the latter is mainly because i play feh and repo is super desirable there

but on NG+ it's very rare for my units to have acquired the class mastery by the time they hit level 10 and can move on to better things anyway

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The greatest tragedy of that twitter thread is that no one has drawn this yet https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164956429113090048

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

swap and reposition are deffo things i like having around, even if the latter is mainly because i play feh and repo is super desirable there

but on NG+ it's very rare for my units to have acquired the class mastery by the time they hit level 10 and can move on to better things anyway

I'm getting joy out of seeing all the enemies target, like, Caspar or Linhardt, then having someone come in and swap with him. Hey guess what? Here's Petra! *all enemies rapidly reconsider*

I think I only have Shove on Bernie and the idea of her barrelling full speed into Edelgard, sending her flying, is fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Ah I'm trying to care about class mastery this run and I know Brigand gets deathblow but nothing else about mastery skills. My Byleth is running as a priest because she looks better in the outfit. What does thief get you? Petra and Felix are killing it as thieves. Felix with a bow is fun, Petra's going dancer because quite honestly Sylvain is at the moment doing exactly what she does as a mercenary. His dex/speed might drop off later but for now he gets it done. He can dance if he starts to struggle in the next couple months. Any other mastery worth going for? I'm trying to use the noble/commoner mastery skills more. Shove is funny to me.

Here's the list: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/class-abilities-arts/

Brigand gets you Death Blow and Mage gets you Fiendish Blow (which is Death Blow for magic). Priest gets you Miracle, which isn't very useful. Thief gets Steal.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Thief gets you Steal as an equippable ability

it's nice to have on someone to swipe rings and shields from bosses

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Harrow posted:

Here's the list: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/class-abilities-arts/

Brigand gets you Death Blow and Mage gets you Fiendish Blow (which is Death Blow for magic). Priest gets you Miracle, which isn't very useful. Thief gets Steal.

Thanks, still avoiding spoilers as much as possible. I'm glad this thread is so kind about that as I'm BE-E for the first time. Edelgard and Ashe are brigands and Dorothea and Annie are mages so far. None of these intermediate ones are as exciting as I hoped so I guess I don't need to be so precious about it. Maybe when they get to advanced or master. Only the brigands, mages and maybe Bernie as an archer. I'm not giving up Linhardt's double white magic to respec him as a mage, he can suck it up.

Pavise and Aegis later seem worth getting. Felix is ridiculous with his shield and in my last game someone else got Aegis naturally, Ferdie I think.

I guess if I'm insisting on making Caspar punch he should get unarmed combat. He's way too squishy but once or twice he's pulled it off with just fists so I'll stick with it.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/Saviala/status/1170521063702372352

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

It's not like Edelgard likes you or anything

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

It’s inspiring just how extremely gay Edelgard is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m a 5’6” man so a short person like Edelgard being pretty much the central figure of the story inspires me.