Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hes a character on south park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JosieKendamu/status/1170774770205413376?s=20

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I didn't know what kiwi farms is so I went there, and holy poo poo. These people are amazing.

They keep saying this ruling is the 'end of anime' - because let's face it guys, Anime is all about the english dub VA's. ANIME IS DEAD! Wrap it up, close down ADTRW, because one VA losing a court case has shut down the whole shebang.

They keep worrying that 'Anime is being taken over by the SJW's'. Like, I honestly don't know if they understand that it's all made elsewhere and the VA's have absolutely no say in the art direction, style, story, or anything else that makes it good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

khy posted:

I didn't know what kiwi farms is so I went there, and holy poo poo. These people are amazing.

They keep saying this ruling is the 'end of anime' - because let's face it guys, Anime is all about the english dub VA's. ANIME IS DEAD! Wrap it up, close down ADTRW, because one VA losing a court case has shut down the whole shebang.

They keep worrying that 'Anime is being taken over by the SJW's'. Like, I honestly don't know if they understand that it's all made elsewhere and the VA's have absolutely no say in the art direction, style, story, or anything else that makes it good?

It would blow their minds to find out that Japan has vastly different views on homosexuality and trans genderism and that conservatism means something different there entirely.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

khy posted:

Yeah, someone said they were neutral but they aren't. Not even remotely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For the type of anime fan who inhabits the Farms, Funimation exists in this weird area of simultaneously being the most important and least important component of the anime industry. Some of them genuinely, honestly believed that Toei would be super angry over a dub actor being removed from the role. I even had randos fly onto my timeline and inform me that, um, yes the Japanese are VERY VERY CONCERNED INDEED about those outtakes that Nick released a while ago and the reasons cited were Studio Khara angry over the 3.33 dub (which were them getting a story wrong and had nothing to do with outtakes) and a Japanese voice actress apparently not getting the humor in the outtakes in When They Cry which was made by... not Funimation. So.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Covok posted:

It would blow their minds to find out that Japan has vastly different views on homosexuality and trans genderism and that conservatism means something different there entirely.

I wonder if they realize that the VAST majority of japanese anime fans don't have a clue who the hell Vic even is. They make it sound like he's this tremendous figure in Anime when in reality he's a complete nobody in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He's a complete nobody even in America. Besides his legacy roles like Ed and Broly the last role of literally any significance he had was Rohan in JoJo's, and before that you have to go back to him being Rin in Free. For the past decade he's had a semi-important voice role every like, 3-4 years. The most significant ongoing role he had at the time of this all going down was Qrow in RWBY, which isn't even an anime.

He's one of the bigger name dub VAs and he has a fan following but he has barely any cultural significance outside of people that both watch anime and care enough to look up who the VAs are. Casual anime fans have never heard of the guy, and frankly a lot of younger people probably haven't either, even if they actually watch a decent amount of anime.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Endorph posted:

He's a complete nobody even in America. Besides his legacy roles like Ed and Broly the last role of literally any significance he had was Rohan in JoJo's, and before that you have to go back to him being Rin in Free. For the past decade he's had a semi-important voice role every like, 3-4 years. The most significant ongoing role he had at the time of this all going down was Qrow in RWBY, which isn't even an anime.

He's one of the bigger name dub VAs and he has a fan following but he has barely any cultural significance outside of people that both watch anime and care enough to look up who the VAs are. Casual anime fans have never heard of the guy, and frankly a lot of younger people probably haven't either, even if they actually watch a decent amount of anime.

I honestly didn't know who he was until this thread right here. But then, I don't really watch dubs at all.

My impression of him when I first saw this thread and read about him on io9 was 'creepy-rear end predator'. My impression of him now is 'creepy-rear end predator with an unimaginably lovely lawyer'.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 8, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

khy posted:

I wonder if they realize that the VAST majority of japanese anime fans don't have a clue who the hell Vic even is. They make it sound like he's this tremendous figure in Anime when in reality he's a complete nobody in Japan.

I'm blue-skying, but you see thinking like that hard at work in the -gates too: an absolute rugged insistence that things are actually the way in which they'd have to be to maintain the aggrieved party's grievance. You can poke a thousand holes in the argument, but that just makes them double down, because it's an identity, not a position.

It's also part of why they insist so hard that there's an opposition party (GamerGate had "Anti-GamerGate," ComicsGate has Renfamous and her psychic mailbox destruction, ISWV has KV), because the hustle doesn't work unless there's a unified force for the true believers to rally against. It can't just be that their plans are failing based upon small things like observable reality; there's got to be a conspiracy, a bribe, a crooked judge. It's a secular cult with no central leader.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

khy posted:

I honestly didn't know who he was until this thread right here. But then, I don't really watch dubs at all.

My impression of him when I first saw this thread and read about him on io9 was 'creepy-rear end predator'. My impression of him now is 'creepy-rear end predator with an unimaginably lovely lawyer'.
If you were an anime fan in the mid 2000s who engaged with western fandom much at all he really was big, but outside of that one specific moment in time hes a total nobody.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dawgstar posted:

For the type of anime fan who inhabits the Farms, Funimation exists in this weird area of simultaneously being the most important and least important component of the anime industry. Some of them genuinely, honestly believed that Toei would be super angry over a dub actor being removed from the role. I even had randos fly onto my timeline and inform me that, um, yes the Japanese are VERY VERY CONCERNED INDEED about those outtakes that Nick released a while ago and the reasons cited were Studio Khara angry over the 3.33 dub (which were them getting a story wrong and had nothing to do with outtakes) and a Japanese voice actress apparently not getting the humor in the outtakes in When They Cry which was made by... not Funimation. So.

Yes, Toei is notoriously picky about their English dubs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dawgstar posted:

Some of them genuinely, honestly believed that Toei would be super angry over a dub actor being removed from the role.

That's an amazing thought process given there are examples of Japanese companies trying to scrub entire characters from a piece of media because the voice actor got kicked out (a recent Yakuza game and one of its voice actors getting arrested for drugs, for example).

e: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/05/yakuza-team-comments-on-judgment-character-swap-after-drugs-scandal

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 8, 2019

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
They should see how Japan handles VA when they do something controversial or illegal, namely pull copies and redo the VA entirely, see the recent Yakuza game VA for that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Schubalts posted:

That's an amazing thought process given there are examples of Japanese companies trying to scrub entire characters from a piece of media because the voice actor got kicked out (a recent Yakuza game and one of its voice actors getting arrested for drugs, for example).

e: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/05/yakuza-team-comments-on-judgment-character-swap-after-drugs-scandal

Keltar posted:

They should see how Japan handles VA when they do something controversial or illegal, namely pull copies and redo the VA entirely, see the recent Yakuza game VA for that.

Oh, they found out about that too. That's why they pulled up the "Leak" audio of the VA's loving around. But they forgot about the OTHER thing Japanese companies are famous for: not giving a poo poo what White people on the other side of the ocean do.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Was there ever any more news about the accusation against Todd Haberkorn? That seemed like it was a part of this at first, but it got overshadowed by how terrible Vic is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was there ever any more news about the accusation against Todd Haberkorn? That seemed like it was a part of this at first, but it got overshadowed by how terrible Vic is.
This popped up among the first results, but it's from like half a year ago.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dawgstar posted:

The 'best' argument (meaning it has some logic behind it and isn't just a conspiracy theory) I heard from someone is that Toei wanted Vic to voice Broly again, so that means they like him and would be angered by him getting fired. But no poo poo, they also brought back Bin Shimada, Broly's Japanese voice actor, since the whole movie is just an alternate take on the original Broly film, and they wanted him to sound the same as he did there. That doesn't mean they even know Vic by name, or care what happens to him. If they actually did, he probably wouldn't have been fired in the first place.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I even had randos fly onto my timeline and inform me that, um, yes the Japanese are VERY VERY CONCERNED INDEED

(from a "best" of collection: https://imgur.com/a/pY1bQ2d)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fritz posted:

(from a "best" of collection: https://imgur.com/a/pY1bQ2d)

What gets me about that one is not just the racism, but they also seem to think that anime is being dubbed horribly (and they can, I don't care) so... why care about a middling voice actor who as noted above is mostly coasting on the strength of Edward Elric and the dude from Ouran Host Club?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Not really- Haberkorn admitted to date-raping Jessie Pridemore, and has basically kept quiet since. Supposedly he was retaining the same lawyer as Vic in case if he decided to sue her, but considering how this case is going, I'm sure he has 'noped' the gently caress out of there if he hasn't already.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Has there been any response from Star Trek fans about Vic? (He starred as Kirk in the Star Trek Continues fan series, which as far as I can see, were somewhat well received).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1170861701031481344?s=19

Someone might want to screencap this, since it involves a death threat so I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears. I'm phone posting otherwise I would.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
You got to wonder about the mindset of these people. It's likely they are some scrawny loser but always a chance someone really is that deluded and could act.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Has there been any response from Star Trek fans about Vic? (He starred as Kirk in the Star Trek Continues fan series, which as far as I can see, were somewhat well received).

Not beyond them roundly laughing at Vic when he claimed 'to have been taught to be Kirk by Kirk' which according to Shatner amounted to 'I met him at a convention.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keltar posted:

You got to wonder about the mindset of these people. It's likely they are some scrawny loser but always a chance someone really is that deluded and could act.

It's worth remembering a not insignificant amount of recent mass shooters can be comfortably described as 'scrawny loser'

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth remembering a not insignificant amount of recent mass shooters can be comfortably described as 'scrawny loser'

This is true enough. Good point.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
But why this guy, of all people? It seems to me that there are tons of other sex pests way more deserving (not really the right word but...) of loyalty / an internet fan club than a somewhat successful niche voice actor.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He voiced Edward Elric, anime's most famous atheist.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
Literally the only reason why is because he's connected to anime and he's a white Christian dude

The transformation of weird anime basement dwellers into hardcore catholics is bizarre. Maybe they mixed up Evangelion with Evangelical.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

But why this guy, of all people? It seems to me that there are tons of other sex pests way more deserving (not really the right word but...) of loyalty / an internet fan club than a somewhat successful niche voice actor.

He already had a crazy fanbase somehow, just add in the regular crazies who jump in every single time on a case like this and you get the mix of what we have now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 9, 2019

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

His actual fandom had been dwindling as dubs stopped being the only lens your average person saw anime (due to streaming services like crunchy existing). The vast majority of these Vic stans probably never heard of him or just vaguely knew of him until this case. They joined in just because it's a 'war against men' thing.

Same poo poo is happening with the Night In The Woods drama, if you asked any of these troglodytes about the game a month ago they'd tell you it's an SJW cuck game, but now they're all super huge fans who are outraged by the evil zoe quinn causing one of the devs to kill himself.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 9, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His actual fandom had been dwindling as dubs stopped being the only lens your average person saw anime (due to streaming services like crunchy existing). The vast majority of these Vic stans probably never heard of him or just vaguely knew of him until this case. They joined in just because it's a 'war against men' thing.

Yeah, and his stock had been going down in the dub industry for a long time. He made the 'Texodus' out to California and has not set the world on fire (examples of people who came from Funimation to do big things are Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham) and doesn't get cast in Funimation stuff anymore (or Sentai Filmworks - he's actually from Houston, not Dallas-Fort Worth) because it's expensive to fly a dude in to voice Japanese cartoon characters on the reg. Oh! And also because he is, quote, 'difficult to work with' being one of those people who thinks he knows better than the director which take is best.

That's the least of his sins, literally, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be 100% honest I can absolutely believe a bunch of 30+ nerds would be exactly the kind of people to be making fun of religion or at least making comments a religious guy would find uncomfortable. It's something I'm always kind of mildly aware of because there's a part of my brain that goes "that's blasphemous" when someone talks about Sonic the HedgehogxJesus yaoi fanfiction even though I'm far from a believer in any shape or form now. It's the kind of offhand joke I don't think most people pay attention to because their circle doesn't really contain people who would get strongly upset by it.

Vic's still a terrible example of his faith, natch.

Someone post that twitter thread from the lady who, at 16, was sexually assaulted by Vic while he was a youth pastor.

That lady isn't even an anime person, she's just your typical suburban mom right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, Vic supporters exist more because they just loving hate women than anything Vic himself has done as a VA.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same poo poo is happening with the Night In The Woods drama, if you asked any of these troglodytes about the game a month ago they'd tell you it's an SJW cuck game, but now they're all super huge fans who are outraged by the evil zoe quinn causing one of the devs to kill himself.

I was talking to one of these people on twitter the other day and asked them which Night in the Woods character was their favorite.

They stopped replying to me.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

He's actively getting dumber.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in conclusion kill all men

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

in conclusion kill all men

As a man, I don't have any good arguments against this.