Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

pookel posted:

Because Hillary Clinton, I'm guessing.

Dread Abuela is so goddamned clever she got someone who hates her like poison to do her dirty work by stealing babies for some lovely Jesus baby farm? Big if true.

I mean, it is child trafficking, but for fundagelicals to adopt, not for toddler brothels. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Dread Abuela is so goddamned clever she got someone who hates her like poison to do her dirty work by stealing babies for some lovely Jesus baby farm? Big if true.

I mean, it is child trafficking, but for fundagelicals to adopt, not for toddler brothels. :shrug:

It was Bill that brokered the deal for them and her legal advicer was arrested for child trafficking charges in multiple countries

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pvt.Scott posted:

The Nazis were eco-fascists. They had plans for turning the countryside into Skyrim, basically. They also bred murderous demon cows (Heck cattle) to replace the mighty aurochs that once wandered the untamed landscape in the mythical German before-time. The lebensraum Germany wanted was supposed to be converted into nothing but bucolic faux-medieval peasant villages and verdant wilderness. Völkisch poo poo was like that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%F6lkisch_movement

So the reason the Morgenthau plan was not implemented was because it would have given them what they wanted?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting article, thanks!

Bill Clinton brokered Silsby’s release, which was an absolutely poo poo thing to do imo. Just want to clarify which “deal” you’re referring to.

I didn’t know any of that stuff about Silsby’s “legal advisor” (what a horrendous human being).

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Interesting article, thanks!

Bill Clinton brokered Silsby’s release, which was an absolutely poo poo thing to do imo. Just want to clarify which “deal” you’re referring to.

I didn’t know any of that stuff about Silsby’s “legal advisor” (what a horrendous human being).

The deal that brokered her release. The fact he personally involved himself in helping her get off with a fairly light sentence is pretty suspect given that:

1) He did so when Haiti was (and is) in the middle of a humanitarian crisis that threw open the doors to anyone trying to exploit them is highly suspect.

2) The case was reframed to shift the blame away from Silsby and onto the Haitians themselves.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Sep 7, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Agree 100%. When I see the headline “US missionary in jail” I usually think it’s a good start, but nobody in power seems to want to let these people face the consequences of their actions.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
A German underwater observatory has gone missing.

https://gizmodo.com/large-underwater-observatory-disappears-without-a-trace-1837897180

Too big to be affected by a storm or sea creatures and boats aren't allowed into the area where it's located. Divers investigating why it wasn't sending data any more found a severed fibre optic cable and nothing else.

Obvious Cthulhu reference is obvious.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other side of the Jewish view is that sometimes it isn't God being a dick for the sake of being a dick but putting you through trials to make you stronger in the end. That or because you were being a dick and He wanted you to knock it the gently caress off.
Also that one time he ruined a man's life because Satan basically dared him to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also that one time he ruined a man's life because Satan basically dared him to.

I love how that one just ends with no real resolution. Job goes all “hey, maybe it’s different with gods, but as far as it goes with us puny mortals, when you mess with our lives it sucks rear end. Try doing your job better.”

And then God gets pissed “oh, gee thanks for the loving insight there. Just because you’re the title character it doesn’t mean you know poo poo about my job, Job. Hey funny thing, when I built fuckin’ everything I don’t recall seeing you around.”

And that’s like... it.

And then God tells off Job’s lovely friends for being the most annoying characters in the whole Bible

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Major Ryan posted:

https://gizmodo.com/large-underwater-observatory-disappears-without-a-trace-1837897180

Too big to be affected by a storm or sea creatures and boats aren't allowed into the area where it's located. Divers investigating why it wasn't sending data any more found a severed fibre optic cable and nothing else.

Cthulhu whispering sweet nothings to a sonar tech monitoring some sort of deep sea listening post could make a solid scenesetter for a short story

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

aphid_licker posted:

Cthulhu whispering sweet nothings to a sonar tech monitoring some sort of deep sea listening post could make a solid scenesetter for a short story

I read this wrong and thought you meant Cthulhu was whispering the sweet nothings to the station itself and immediately thought of that tortoise humping the shoe

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Relationships 👏 between 👏 an Old One 👏 and 👏 a 350-kilogram station collecting data about water temperature, nutrients, salinity, the speed of water flow, and concentrations of chlorophyll and methane 👏 ARE 👏 VALID 👏

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Major Ryan posted:

Isn't this how Sealab 2021 started?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope it was stolen by another government who's now using it for exactly the same purpose. I also hope this kicks off an entire scientific "prank war" where scientists go around tp-ing observatories or spray painting things like "Belgium Scientists Rule!!!!" in other scientist's locker rooms.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

1. The Russian Navy lost a nuclear nuclear weapon delivery system (that is not a typo).

2. The best research sub they had lit on fire and a bunch of high rank sailors died putting it out while saving "important contractors".

3. Now this.

These fuckers have accidentally-ed shoggoths.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope it was stolen by another government who's now using it for exactly the same purpose. I also hope this kicks off an entire scientific "prank war" where scientists go around tp-ing observatories or spray painting things like "Belgium Scientists Rule!!!!" in other scientist's locker rooms.

Most likely the thing is sitting in a scrapyard in the PRC. Hell of a by-catch. What are you gonna do, throw it back?

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 8, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Russias navy being a literal garbage fire is not suprising at all.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has there been any successful hippie communes or 'cults' that don't involve taking advantage of their members sexually or otherwise? Ive always been very interested in Jonestown and that if Jim Jones hadn't been loving drugged out/insane that they could have made their social experiment into something awesome. Maybe the Amish? I feel like almost all of these kind of things fall by the wayside eventually when absolute power corrupts absolutely. Would you consider the Quakers maybe, with their peacefulness, but I don't know how many of their communities are still around these days. Are these communes just destined to fail eventually, or can they actually follow through on a utopian way of life?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
There's plenty of little artist communes and stuff that pop up for a little while and then slowly drift apart without any particular scandal. You don't hear about them because "some people are a little weird but don't hurt anybody" isn't exactly making international news.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There are various small communes in the US that have been chugging along for a while. Look up East Wind Community for an example.

Notably, they tend to be selective about membership.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cinni posted:

Has there been any successful hippie communes or 'cults' that don't involve taking advantage of their members sexually or otherwise? Ive always been very interested in Jonestown and that if Jim Jones hadn't been loving drugged out/insane that they could have made their social experiment into something awesome. Maybe the Amish? I feel like almost all of these kind of things fall by the wayside eventually when absolute power corrupts absolutely. Would you consider the Quakers maybe, with their peacefulness, but I don't know how many of their communities are still around these days. Are these communes just destined to fail eventually, or can they actually follow through on a utopian way of life?

The Shakers. Major problem being that they ran out of orphans to adopt. The Quakers don't do communal living, and IIRC never did even in the Fox era. You might be interested in the Hutterites, an Anabaptist group that explicitly lives in communes as part of their theology.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Where I live in NE Ohio, support groups for adults who have children with developmental disabilities often have a member who left the Amish community because of how badly their children were treated. Currently there are programs that will bus Amish teenagers to far off church districts so they can find spouses that aren't so closely related to help offset the higher incidences of genetic disorders that occur in the more sheltered communities.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

madeintaipei posted:

1. The Russian Navy lost a nuclear nuclear weapon delivery system (that is not a typo).

If you're talking about K-129, the whole mystery around its sinking is unnerving as hell. I don't buy the whole Red Star Rogue theory about an unauthorized nuclear attack, but between it and USS Scorpion, the whole thing feels like we came really, really close to stumbling into all out war and it wasn't stopped until way later than it should.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cinni posted:

Yeah from some things I've read the Amish are pretty rife with sexual abuse, too. :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Shakers. Major problem being that they ran out of orphans to adopt. The Quakers don't do communal living, and IIRC never did even in the Fox era. You might be interested in the Hutterites, an Anabaptist group that explicitly lives in communes as part of their theology.

The Shakers actually mandate total celibacy. I have no idea how long it lasted but they even had men and women live entirely separately to keep them from loving. If a woman joined already pregnant then they just took care of the kid collectively when it was born. They did also have a habit of taking in orphans and the homeless. If somebody joined as a kid, was picked up as an orphan, or was born into it they had to choose when they grew up whether they'd stay or not; needless to say a lot of people decided "no, I'd like to gently caress, thanks" and left.

There are still a few Shakers left, actually. They dwindled in numbers pretty continuously over the years as they, you know, not reproduced themselves into fewer numbers but they did manage to get converts. A lot of their new blood came from taking in orphans or those who had nowhere else to go.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Sep 8, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I've pushed it before, but the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast covers a lot of mundane cults along with the worse ones. The Eckankar society and The Aetherius Society are probably the closest to a "good" or at least relatively harmless cult that you can find.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Shakers actually mandate total celibacy. I have no idea how long it lasted but they even had men and women live entirely separately to keep them from loving. If a woman joined already pregnant then they just took care of the kid collectively when it was born. They did also have a habit of taking in orphans and the homeless. If somebody joined as a kid, was picked up as an orphan, or was born into it they had to choose when they grew up whether they'd stay or not; needless to say a lot of people decided "no, I'd like to gently caress, thanks" and left.

There are still a few Shakers left, actually. They dwindled in numbers pretty continuously over the years as they, you know, not reproduced themselves into fewer numbers but they did manage to get converts. A lot of their new blood came from taking in orphans or those who had nowhere else to go.

Great replacement but for cults.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Freetown Christiania in Denmark was pretty near to a commune. The cops used to just let them be, and the main laws were essentially “no photos and no running, maybe please do hash instead of heroin but follow your bliss”. But with an increase in tourism and outside entities, it’s no longer as autonomous as it used to be.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I've pushed it before, but the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast covers a lot of mundane cults along with the worse ones. The Eckankar society and The Aetherius Society are probably the closest to a "good" or at least relatively harmless cult that you can find.

There's a really blurry line between cult and "insular religious group". Heck, just a couple miles from me there's a rural Lutheran church that's about as insular as the stereotypical Amish/Mennonite churches. Everyone who goes there is familially related to one of the founding families, no non members allowed at worship, no posted contact info or worship times, their members can't worship elsewhere (they're allowed to attend weddings, funerals, and baptisms, but they can't speak the liturgy with the congregation, share peace, do more than stand there, etc.). Their members are friendly enough folks, at least the ones I've met, and their parking lot is full every Sunday, but I absolutely wouldn't be welcome at their worship, though I'm sure they'd be polite in seeing me out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Azathoth posted:

If you're talking about K-129, the whole mystery around its sinking is unnerving as hell. I don't buy the whole Red Star Rogue theory about an unauthorized nuclear attack, but between it and USS Scorpion, the whole thing feels like we came really, really close to stumbling into all out war and it wasn't stopped until way later than it should.

I assume they mean last month’s accident during what some believe to have been a test of the Burevestnik nuclear-powered cruise missile.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

I assume they mean last month’s accident during what some believe to have been a test of the Burevestnik nuclear-powered cruise missile.

Ah, got it. I was taking "lost" in the sense of "they couldn't find it" rather than "blown to smithereens".

This little rabbit hole led me to do a quick tally from Wikipedia (I know) and by my count, there's currently 5 lost nuclear weapons scattered around the world from various accidents (and 2 more that were only partially recovered), not counting missiles on sunken submarines.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

There's a really blurry line between cult and "insular religious group". Heck, just a couple miles from me there's a rural Lutheran church that's about as insular as the stereotypical Amish/Mennonite churches. Everyone who goes there is familially related to one of the founding families, no non members allowed at worship, no posted contact info or worship times, their members can't worship elsewhere (they're allowed to attend weddings, funerals, and baptisms, but they can't speak the liturgy with the congregation, share peace, do more than stand there, etc.). Their members are friendly enough folks, at least the ones I've met, and their parking lot is full every Sunday, but I absolutely wouldn't be welcome at their worship, though I'm sure they'd be polite in seeing me out.

Cult has a negative connotation attached to it but cults aren't all bad. Really insular religious groups and even some stuff like hippie communes that keep to themselves can be argued to be cults. Some of them 100% fit the definition of a cult but people don't think of them as cults as they're just weird and harmless. A cult doesn't even have to be religious, really; it's more a social structure than anything.

Cults get a bad reputation because bad cults are extraordinarily awful.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m not really sure there’s many if any groups that are insular to that level that don’t have some hosed up power imbalance going on though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m not really sure there’s many if any groups that are insular to that level that don’t have some hosed up power imbalance going on though

Most of them have been patriarchal as hell.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

those pod 9 jerks again

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Utopian groups are pretty cool too, Oneida was into free love and weirdly feminist in many ways and really screwed up in other way. They eventually turned into ... a silverware company but managed not to kill anybody:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Community

This one called the Royal Fraternity of Master Metaphysicians tried to make an immortal baby but ended up with a regular baby oops| :

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/jean_gauntt_the_immortal_baby

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Most of them have been patriarchal as hell.

There's also the whole tyranny of structurelessness thing where power coalesces around an individual or clique but because they aren't officially in power there's no way to appeal their decisions.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

in small communal living it turns into Tyranny of the Chore Wheel

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this talk of cults reminded me - i vaguely remember some kind of like femme cult in 1950's england that was women who would dress primly and had this whole strict discipline thing going on? i realize this sounds like a bad porn but does this description ring any bells?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

those pod 9 jerks again

Pod 9 is fine, but those fuckin jerks in Pod 6... Fuckers won't even tell me how to get to the goddamn pro-shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

luxury handset posted:

this talk of cults reminded me - i vaguely remember some kind of like femme cult in 1950's england that was women who would dress primly and had this whole strict discipline thing going on? i realize this sounds like a bad porn but does this description ring any bells?

I remember in the old 'stories about anime weirdos; thread by uglynoodles they went into a weird partly-online subculture about some all-female fantasy world (though with social roles that basically translated to masculine and feminine gender roles) that kinda came off like a throwback to pre-20th century lesbian culture. Mostly that they had a huge issue as it was the early 00s and a shitload of newer members were huge weebs and basically crowbarred in anime fetish ideas that didn't really fit, and after some schisms and dramabombs the whole thing went back underground with minimal online presence.