Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I started working on my reserve about two years ago now(oh my god kill me time keeps passing by) and that lines up with my understanding that things have improved working on reserve than under a Tory government. Of course it’s pretty easy to improve on abysmal. There’s, marginally, more support for my community but it’s still ravished by poverty and drug addiction and being 50km from a “city”.

Edit: also I’ve been increasingly radicalized over the past couple of years. Wonder if that’s related at all.

littleorv fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Turns out Trudeau was more into shady ways than sunny ways.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Stickarts! I've put this in the Good Post Zone on page one and put a reference to it in the OP. Thanks again for your hard work on this!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol i forgot about the haida tattoo

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i know hes bad but is trudeau likely to win or what i have no idea about ur politics or how your elections work

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cargo cult posted:

i know hes bad but is trudeau likely to win or what i have no idea about ur politics or how your elections work

Still a toss up. But yeah it comes down to whether or not people are so pissed with Trudeau that they’d willingly elect a Conservative government run by a guy who makes Stephen Harper look like a smart, charismatic savant.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

cargo cult posted:

it's hard to say. the most prominent and vocal of his critics lean heavily conservative, but they don't represent potential voters. the Liberal party's electoral success last cycle relied heavily on a lot of faux-progressiveness that helped get the wind back in their sails after a pretty disastrous decade, but they can't really play that card again.

he still enjoys overall high approval rates, especially compared to his liberal contemporaries past and present, and the competition this time around is pretty weak compared to four years ago. Conservatives will exactly maintain their usual vote share, but the NDP (the Liberal's main competition) are suffering pretty hard going into this election.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
is the guy hes running against a full trump fash or what

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
About the only certain thing about the upcoming federal election is that you can bank on record low turnout.

The LPC is toxic after breaking most of their election promises last time, most notably electoral reform. The CPC is creeping into full on Alex Jones territory. The NDP is in shambles and as of a couple weeks ago at least were struggling to field candidates in every riding.

Best case scenario is uh... a resurgent Bloc Québécois I guess? I don’t even know I can imagine a good result.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

best case scenario is a liberal minority with the ndp holding the balance

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RBC posted:

In that scenario Singh retains party leadership and we’re in the same drat boat next election. I’d count that among the worst possible outcomes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

“Well, you know what? Canada is not a nation. It never was and it never will be. Canada is a corporate state. And as soon as you look at that and recognize that and admit it, then maybe the Indigenous peoples across this land will start believing what comes out of your mouth,”

Fuckin' Amen.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

In that scenario Singh retains party leadership and we’re in the same drat boat next election. I’d count that among the worst possible outcomes.

So you feel the leadership of the NDP is more important than the actual governence of the country. Got it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cargo cult posted:

Honestly, he's more Jeb! than Trump.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cargo cult posted:

Not exactly, but there isn't a direct equivalent in Canadian federal politics right now. Bernier is more openly xenophobic, but Scheer is cool with dogwhistle racism/xenophobia until he gets called on it. He's also 100% willing to, if not personally, allow his caucus to attack women's reproductive rights and gay marriage. Beyond that he's "a balloon animal filled with ground beef" who exudes a miasma of uncool suburban dad and has managed on several occasions to wilt under the pressure of facing the current PM in public.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

littleorv posted:

also I’ve been increasingly radicalized over the past couple of years

New working title for D&D.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jesus that photo from the boxing match, I guess no one should've been shocked about his antics in India based off of that Haida tattoo on his shoulder

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

RBC posted:

So you feel the leadership of the NDP is more important than the actual governence of the country. Got it.

Correct because the cpc and lpc parties will not help us

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RBC posted:

Pretty much.

The difference between any combo of the CPC/LPC/current NDP is so vanishingly small that I don’t see the scenario you described as a meaningful improvement.

However I can imagine a world where the left wrests control away from Singh/Mulcair and the rest of the centrists presenting us with a real choice in the election after this one.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Seems like you guys got a good ole Trump vs. Hillary matchup goin on up there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Seems like you guys got a good ole Trump vs. Hillary matchup goin on up there.

No this is more like Obama vs. Romney. Trump vs. Hillary will be for after Scheer loses and the CPC goes full fash, up against a tired Trudeau seeking a third term with everyone hating him and a properly left-wing new NDP leader sapping his base's enthusiasm

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

RBC posted:

my dream scenario is an extremely tiny conservative minority that can't accomplish poo poo followed by a real estate crash that forces a new election and wipes them out

e: the NDP being annihilated and forced to take stock and turn left again would also be good

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 9, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mila kunis posted:

my dream scenario is an extremely tiny conservative minority that can't accomplish poo poo

This would only work if the Liberals weren't willing to prop them up, and unfortunately history suggest that they will be more than happy to do so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mila kunis posted:

my dream scenario is an extremely tiny conservative minority that can't accomplish poo poo followed by a real estate crash that forces a new election and wipes them out

e: the NDP being annihilated and forced to take stock and turn left again would also be good

The last time that (sort of) happened, we got 10 years of Harperland. So be careful what you wish for.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Counting on parties to learn their lessons and be better is, from a historical perspective, very foolish

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah the danger of any minority government is the Liberals libbing it up with the Cons instead of the NDP.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Btw that was a kickass effort post, Stickarts

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Its criminal that this was the last post of that page, as it is indeed extremely good!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

McGavin posted:

Honestly, he's more Jeb! than Trump.

He may be more Jeb! but the first thing he did on his political ascent was hire his own Steve Bannon.

All conservatives are Trumpists now, they follow the mob, they don't lead it.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Out of curiosity, what is the overall take on what the political landscape might look like, if a resurgent Bloc does do well in the polls and grabs a sizeable amount of seats? How might that change the political landscape going forward for the NDP, Liberals, CPC, greens, etc...?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Guigui posted:

resurgent Bloc

:lol:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Guigui posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the overall take on what the political landscape might look like, if a resurgent Bloc does do well in the polls and grabs a sizeable amount of seats? How might that change the political landscape going forward for the NDP, Liberals, CPC, greens, etc...?

Not great, I may be wrong (as Quebec politics is inscrutable even to those of us just the other side of the border) but I don't believe they trade many voters with the Conservatives. It's just another way for the Canadian left to make their votes less efficient, and if you hadn't noticed we're already splitting our votes three ways. In theory they also make a lefty minority coalition less likely, that was certainly true a decade ago when Michael Ignatieff balked at the idea and gave us 7 more years of Harper.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

The last time that (sort of) happened, we got 10 years of Harperland. So be careful what you wish for.

Not immediately. It led to a (at the time) far right party that was only prominent in 1-2 provinces to take over the CPC. This allowed them to take over the recognizable party name but reform (heh) the party from the inside and build it up while waiting for the Liberal party to scandal itself to death and hand the reins back over.

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010

Guigui posted:

I'd say it's a toss-up simply because the Bloc is a protest vote for left-leaning nationalists.

KDSet fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 9, 2019

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Furnaceface posted:

Not immediately. It led to a (at the time) far right party that was only prominent in 1-2 provinces to take over the CPC. This allowed them to take over the recognizable party name but reform (heh) the party from the inside and build it up while waiting for the Liberal party to scandal itself to death and hand the reins back over.

Minor quibble but they didn't take over a recognizable name. The Progressive Conservatives were the party that lost Western provincial support when the Reform Party of Canada was formed. The Reform party became the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance party shortly (cue CCRAP joke). The CCRA party then merged with the Progressive Conservatives into the Conservative Party of Canada.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Weird BIAS posted:

The Reform party became the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance party shortly (cue CCRAP joke).

It's even more direct a joke, they went with Canadian Reform Alliance Party during the party convention. I remember watching it live. One of the younger members asked if they could rearrange the order of the words in the name and whomever was presiding over the whole thing said "Of course not!" not understanding the party acronym would be CRAP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BGrifter posted:

It's even more direct a joke, they went with Canadian Reform Alliance Party during the party convention. I remember watching it live. One of the younger members asked if they could rearrange the order of the words in the name and whomever was presiding over the whole thing said "Of course not!" not understanding the party acronym would be CRAP.

They figured it out real fast when the first Air Farce and 22 Minutes after the convention aired though...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah 22 minutes and royal canadian air force had material for months.

e:motherfucker

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

cargo cult posted:

He's basically David Cameron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Venomous posted:

He's basically David Cameron

No that's whoever is loving him.