Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

I thought strip was the whole kit.

It is, I suppose, though people I grew up with would talk about the "new strip" coming out when they really meant the shirt. Definitely would say "shirt" instead of "jersey", though.

Mr. Mambold posted:

And why don't you post in the ray parlour with the other footie degenerates?

Because football is just hockey but worse in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

orange sky posted:

Do you guys usually put any artwork behind your TV? I just moved into a new house and all I have is the TV stand and the TV itself - I'm thinking of putting potted plants around it, but above it there will still be a huge empty space.

I think over the tv (assuming you're not talking about a 20ft wall) is the one place where you should avoid color. Go with something neutral in tone but highly textured; the lack of strong color will make it fade into the background when the tv is on, but the texture will contrast heavily and draw attention away from the black square of the off tv. Those undyed yarn weavings that are popular now would work, or an actual painting with heavy brush strokes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

orange sky posted:

Do you guys usually put any artwork behind your TV? I just moved into a new house and all I have is the TV stand and the TV itself - I'm thinking of putting potted plants around it, but above it there will still be a huge empty space.

Before my kitchen remodel I had the TV on this wall with a Mayan, I think, calendar that had been in my family for several years. It seems A E S T H E T I C.

My TV is now on the opposite wall and that wall pictured is now a bar/island.

The wall that I have the TV on now has a few prints on large format canvases, but I eventually want to build or have some builtins installed on the wall to add some storage, bookshelf's, and a place to put the TV and stereo.

Here's a photo before I switched everything around. Please ignore the mess. Currently these prints are straddling the TV.

Edit: I only have 8 ft ceilings, so not a lot to work with, unfortunately.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Motronic posted:

Or you could just.....turn it up hot enough that the bacteria can't survive and install a mixing valve on the output. This seems like a much surer way to do it, which is why that's how it's generally done these days.

To make it unsurvivable for bacteria you'd need not a hot water tank, but a boiling water tank.

It's generally been the common wisdom that having your hot water at, say, 55C, would kill all the bacteria. That's hilariously not true, though, plenty of bacteria can survive and breed at that temp if they're allowed to survive at that temperature for an extended period of time, eg. if your hot water tank is oversized. It's the temperature shifting that kills them, not the temperature itself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

To make it unsurvivable for bacteria you'd need not a hot water tank, but a boiling water tank.

It's generally been the common wisdom that having your hot water at, say, 55C, would kill all the bacteria. That's hilariously not true, though, plenty of bacteria can survive and breed at that temp if they're allowed to survive at that temperature for an extended period of time, eg. if your hot water tank is oversized. It's the temperature shifting that kills them, not the temperature itself.

I can see how this would be your opinion if you think 55c is hot enough: it is not.

Try 60. This is researched and suggested by any of the bodies who matter in this space, including the American Society of Sanitary Engineering.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh good god, we are not having a debate about water heater temp in the drat interior design thread. Here, I found an MCM trailer.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

there wolf posted:

Oh good god, we are not having a debate about water heater temp in the drat interior design thread. Here, I found an MCM trailer.

This is gorgeous where is it and is it for sale

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Motronic posted:

I can see how this would be your opinion if you think 55c is hot enough: it is not.

Try 60. This is researched and suggested by any of the bodies who matter in this space, including the American Society of Sanitary Engineering.

Less my "opinion" and more what an actual plumbing training based on, as you say, science, has involved learning. Not in America, mind you, and, uh, no offense, but from what I've seen of American plumbing, holy poo poo I have far more faith in ours(Danish) than yours.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Less my "opinion" and more what an actual plumbing training based on, as you say, science, has involved learning. Not in America, mind you, and, uh, no offense, but from what I've seen of American plumbing, holy poo poo I have far more faith in ours(Danish) than yours.

In Australia all hot water units are set to 65* to pasturize the water, with a tempering valve on the outlet to prevent scalding at the tap. Here at least you have a higher chance of contracting Legionella from moist mulch than a hot water system.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Let's get out of the hot water discussion before it gets cold.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Photo taken by a vampire apparently. A vampire with extremely poor taste.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As a microbiologist, a lot of this temp discussion is wrong in some pedantic way or another but I'm here for the cool house pics.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-131914778

Just keep going through the photos, you'll know when you get there.

I love this house but the way the blurb for it is written is what truly horrifies me.

Tony Toop posted:

Woodforde House circa 1856.

Two titles, unrenovated, Tiny Original Chapel, dual cellars and roof top viewing platform, backs onto the council reserve, so you feel like you are deep in the country.

Mystery and intrigue, OMG beats anything you will ever see, it's at every turn!

History, excitement. Challenge your senses. If you are a scaredy cat, don’t come.

I’m so excited and privileged just to see this two storey blue-stone residence, its not for the faint hearted but WOW, what a property.

This has been in the same family since 1977. The family of six best describe the fun and good times as Mrs Bates in the Hitchcock movie. The house on the hill.

History. Magnificent bluestone “Mansion” of the 1800’s era, built by William Uren, who arrived eight years earlier from Helston Cornwall. He chose this foothills location for its fertile soil and beautiful creek setting. A viewing deck atop the second storey of the home allowed William to see the ships arriving at Port Adelaide his leather goods he was importing.

The tiny chapel has ruby red glass and matching church windows, none of us have any idea why it was there, but it was. They turned it into a bathroom. Imagine a wedding there after its all renovated!

The home is now in need of lots of attention. It remained in the Uren family and later by marriage to the Nightingale family, until the current owners acquired the property. Around the 1860’s a further section on the eastern side was extended to provide the Butler’s pantry and kitchen.

There are ten rooms, double cellar rooms, and a chapel, wrapped around by the return veranda fitted with lacework balustrade on three sides.

Everything needs work but what a property, what incredible grounds spread over two titles. Watch the cob webs, and don’t wear a suit.

Agents Note: Brave people only, leave the kids at home or keep them supervised. Watch the steps.

I think Tony Toop was on the toot when he wrote that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

there wolf posted:

Oolala. I'm kinda feeling that. Im also interested with what that is running $wise

That Works posted:

As a microbiologist, a lot of this temp discussion is wrong in some pedantic way or another but I'm here for the cool house pics.

This made me laugh. We all have our strengths <checks resume> so if anyone dares to put put some bad info on weed smoking I'll give you a 1000 words why you're wrong!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oolala. I'm kinda feeling that. Im also interested with what that is running $wise

The model is a 1950? Spartan Carousel and asking price was $55,000. Listing is gone now, so I guess someone snapped it up.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
As a lawyer let me tell you that legally the water has to remain at a constant temperature of faaaaaaaaaaaaaart

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I’m glad Dave the seller even went with a realtor named Dave to help him sell his house. Very on brand

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So is this thread a mock thread for bad interior design or is it a general advice thread.

Edit: gently caress it here it goes.

So Me and my GF bought a house last December and were still going about getting it up to snuff for us. Money has been tight though so we havent done anything major to it yet but I have been working on my room. Heres what I got

What I wanna do is redo it so it looks like a fairy tale witch's cabin. Obviously that means there is a lot of work. The walls need to be repainted. Maybe tear up the carpet and use the hardwood floor, and dear god i wanna lose the drop ceilings. The curtains came with the house so I gotta find something to replace them, the blinds have to be replaces, one of them broke already.

First two real projects though are

1: I am going to string up rope LED lights along the edges of the ceiling. I have the lights, I just need to mount them. The lights come with screw mounts but I would rather use adhesives to keep them up in case they gotta come down

2: I wanna put up new brackets so I have some shelves where the old ones are (YOu can see the outlines for the old ones I took down in one photo.)

3: And I guess painting is down the road. Like I said, Fairy Tale Witch's Cabin, but I am stumped for color. Brown maybe for the wooden walls but I dont want brown walls.

4: I also need to fix all the holes int he walls. Like the brackets are screwed right into the wall and theres even a nail where something was hanging right in the wall, I think it's in the photo just over the bed.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 8, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BigRed0427 posted:

So is this thread a mock thread for bad interior design or is it a general advice thread.

yes

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

BigRed0427 posted:

So Me and my GF bought a house last December and were still going about getting it up to snuff for us. Money has been tight though so we havent done anything major to it yet but I have been working on my room. Heres what I got

What I wanna do is redo it so it looks like a fairy tale witch's cabin. Obviously that means there is a lot of work. The walls need to be repainted. Maybe tear up the carpet and use the hardwood floor, and dear god i wanna lose the drop ceilings. The curtains came with the house so I gotta find something to replace them, the blinds have to be replaces, one of them broke already.

First two real projects though are

1: I am going to string up rope LED lights along the edges of the ceiling. I have the lights, I just need to mount them. The lights come with screw mounts but I would rather use adhesives to keep them up in case they gotta come down

2: I wanna put up new brackets so I have some shelves where the old ones are (YOu can see the outlines for the old ones I took down in one photo.)

3: And I guess painting is down the road. Like I said, Fairy Tale Witch's Cabin, but I am stumped for color. Brown maybe for the wooden walls but I dont want brown walls.

4: I also need to fix all the holes int he walls. Like the brackets are screwed right into the wall and theres even a nail where something was hanging right in the wall, I think it's in the photo just over the bed.

How old are you

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How old are you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How the gently caress does this happen?

Going to hardwood floors makes sense, but getting rid of the drop ceilings seems like an imperative.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Going to hardwood floors makes sense, but getting rid of the drop ceilings seems like an imperative.

lots of houses with 9ft+ ceilings got drops put in in the 70s/80s for energy conservation

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

lots of houses with 9ft+ ceilings got drops put in in the 70s/80s for energy conservation

I mean, the heating system in this house, along with the hot water heater and furnace are the newest parts of the house so would that be a problem still?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can you please post an example of "fairy tale witch cabin" because I am wholly unfamiliar with this aesthetic.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I mean, the heating system in this house, along with the hot water heater and furnace are the newest parts of the house so would that be a problem still?

Modern furnaces are a lot more efficient, but the lowered ceiling does reduce the heating volume you need, and if there's no second story, an extra "attic" of barrier to the outside.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

It gets better.

So at some point the previous owner wanted to add more outlets into the room. Did they do it correctly and wire a new outlet into the wall? gently caress NO! THey screwed this into the wall.

And then you just had to plug it into the actual outlet

Then they just stapled the cord to the wall and painted over it.

Sirotan posted:

Can you please post an example of "fairy tale witch cabin" because I am wholly unfamiliar with this aesthetic.

Well I dont know. It's simply an idea I had and wanted to try and put together. Googling comes up with stuff here. https://www.google.com/search?q=wit...GHEATMVTcN6ssM:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 9, 2019

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Those look like dorm rooms?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mocking Bird posted:

Those look like dorm rooms?

If it's not beige I'm all for it.

This might be a more grown up version of the same aesthetic:

Youth Decay posted:

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The good: Wrought iron or hammered brass details, patterned tapestry, dark wood bookshelves, industrial/Edison lighting, hanging herbs, and creeping ivy plant life

The bad: twinkle lights (ugh so many), fake plants, overly cluttered spaces, overstuffed furniture/futons/black painted ply board, dust magnet decorative details, crushing depressive darkness

I can see that being a cool aesthetic but it requires serious commitment and also maintenance - cleaning and tidying - since modern stuff like book bags and take out boxes really ruins the look

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Before you take a crowbar to the drop ceiling, though, pop a couple of the panels out in different areas and take a good hard look with a flashlight to see what you've really got up there. While energy conservation was/is certainly a thing, a fair number of times those were put in to hide cracked or broken plaster, water stains, degrading popcorn or eroded swirly texture paint, and a multitude of other sins. Even ceiling paper, although that's less likely unless your house is 1940's or before.

Just pointing out that it could turn out to be a bigger job than you planned to take on right now - or maybe all will be fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

degrading asbestos popcorn

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Before you take a crowbar to the drop ceiling, though, pop a couple of the panels out in different areas and take a good hard look with a flashlight to see what you've really got up there. While energy conservation was/is certainly a thing, a fair number of times those were put in to hide cracked or broken plaster, water stains, degrading popcorn or eroded swirly texture paint, and a multitude of other sins. Even ceiling paper, although that's less likely unless your house is 1940's or before.

Just pointing out that it could turn out to be a bigger job than you planned to take on right now - or maybe all will be fine.

Just did this and...ya'll

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 9, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol ceiling paper jackpot.

So here's what you do: 1/4" drywall. Seriously. Don't even bother trying to remove that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I went to a movie theater today that had this glorious custom carpeting (got this image from a yelp review bc I didn't take a picture). I believe it's based on the delightful sign at their previous location (RIP) with some added comedy/tragedy masks and an Oscar.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BigRed0427 posted:

Just did this and...ya'll

Oho, just look at that :D

I'll add one more thing about ceiling paper in my temporary role as prophet of doom: do not try to paint it, no matter how tempting, no matter how tight the paper looks.

There is nothing quite like finishing painting that stuff, stepping back to admire your work, and watching as a honking great bubble develops somewhere and the whole wet soggy painty middle gently subsides onto your head, your floor, your furniture, windows, the dog...

Not that I have any direct experience of that from years ago, mind.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TofuDiva posted:

Not that I have any direct experience of that from years ago, mind.

That sounds disastrous and, if you were ever in this position, you would have had my deepest sympathy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This made me laugh. We all have our strengths <checks resume> so if anyone dares to put put some bad info on weed smoking I'll give you a 1000 words why you're wrong!

Ever been in a Turkish prison Timmy?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How old are you

Lmao.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

BigRed0427 posted:

What I wanna do is redo it so it looks like a fairy tale witch's cabin.

Here is some general advice: please don't

Or do it and post pictures itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

You could cut out the load bearing beams to lower the floor rather than loving with the ceiling.