Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Just caught up with this show after watching a video on it by Mother's Basement, and I can see why this show is getting such praise. Amazing production values, great cast, and Nezuko is just the sweetest little cinnamon bun. But man did that last episode leave off on such a dickish tease. I'm honestly debating whether or not to pick up the manga just to see what's going to happen next. Just in case, does anyone know what chapter of the manga we're at now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alfredo Jones posted:

Just caught up with this show after watching a video on it by Mother's Basement, and I can see why this show is getting such praise. Amazing production values, great cast, and Nezuko is just the sweetest little cinnamon bun. But man did that last episode leave off on such a dickish tease. I'm honestly debating whether or not to pick up the manga just to see what's going to happen next. Just in case, does anyone know what chapter of the manga we're at now?
If you want to start right at where this leaves off, Chapter 47.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Also another weird tidbit that the lack of narration skips

That was not until next episode you are getting ahead of yourself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it'd be better if they skip assigning random powers to every tom dick and harry and just let stuff stand as examples of how deep the character relationships are. no offense to gotouge here but lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was not until next episode you are getting ahead of yourself.
Yeah, it was in chapter 47, whoops. Wonder if they'll just have someone else explain it or if they'll leave it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It is absolutely understandable that they all loving hate demons and just want to loving kill them all because up till now they have never witness a truly good girl like Nezuko.

Yeah ALL the pillars are good and lovely and wonderful boys and girls that live in an uncaring, demon infested shiteworld.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I think making sure Nezuko doesn't attack humans even at the cost of her life is a pretty valid test. Also giving her free food and watching her refuse/ignore it. They clearly don't care about all these people who offered to kill themselves.

The only reason it looks antagonistic is because everyone is a psychopath with scary faces.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just goes to show that Tanjiro showing a bit of empathy and pity goes a long way.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
drat, that whole episode I was waiting for Nezuko to come out of the box and be best girl and do some super kind poo poo. This is probably what will make me go read the manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jimbot posted:

The leader of this organization sure is something. Taking all these broken people and weaponizing their grief and pain. No wonder why demons exist when you have folks like these in high positions in this organization.

Well the high positions, other than his, have nothing to do with leadership skill or aptitude for it. It's purely based on whoever was badass enough to kill enough powerful demons and not die in the line of duty. Seriously in a recent extra it's stated the only prerequisites for becoming a Pillar are 1: Having slain at least 50 demons, which is normally at least 50 missions as demons are normally solitary. 2: Having slain one of the Twelve Demon Moons which shows you were not just getting by going after scrubs

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
All these hashiras look like dangan ronpa characters

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
gently caress this cliff-hanger in particular

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Danganronpa Zero: Taisho Secret

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know that the wind hashira straight up says it but its such a low key thing that its so easily missed without foreknowledge.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It doesn't really feel like a cliffhanger because there's a 0% chance she doesn't just pat his head and everyone marvels at what a good girl she is

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the high positions, other than his, have nothing to do with leadership skill or aptitude for it. It's purely based on whoever was badass enough to kill enough powerful demons and not die in the line of duty. Seriously in a recent extra it's stated the only prerequisites for becoming a Pillar are 1: Having slain at least 50 demons, which is normally at least 50 missions as demons are normally solitary. 2: Having slain one of the Twelve Demon Moons which shows you were not just getting by going after scrubs

There are definite narrative reasons why the pillars are who they are.

If the demons are intended to be vicious mirrors of humanity then the pillars are humanitys strengths in the face of adversity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Going back to it, I still find it funny how exaggerated the personalities of several of the pillars are on their first appearance, as they're portrayed as far more level-headed individuals when they actually become important to the narrative.

Just one of those beats KnY fumbles from time to time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There are definite narrative reasons why the pillars are who they are.

If the demons are intended to be vicious mirrors of humanity then the pillars are humanitys strengths in the face of adversity.

Stone!
Mist!
Water!
Wind!
Flame!
Sound!
Love!
Bugs!?
Snakes!?!

By our powers combined, we are Captain OH GOD WHAT IS THAT GET IT AWAY

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Captain OGWISTGIA is strong and cool and my friend

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I like that Sound Hashira is a JoJo character.

Also that was a fun episode with a v stressful cliffhanger

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Centzon Totochtin posted:

All these hashiras look like dangan ronpa Bleach characters

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Not gonna lie, Hashiras are pretty great, Love Hashiras and Wind Hashira in particular.

Also I'm not very surprised that Hashiras are pretty incredulous about Nezuko being a good girl, considering the explanation for why she doesn't eat people is "oh, demons totally don't have to eat people to survive and get stronger, they can just sleep a lot! :downs:", which.... isn't very convincing.

They could be a bit less assholish about it, but that wouldn't be as fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is a weird hill but man do I hate when "hade" is translated as "flamboyant" when people are using it in reference to themselves. People sometimes call other people flamboyant but very rarely if ever do people use it the way that one Hashira was. It would also sound absurd if spoken. Stylish or Flashy would've been more natural in both cases.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hes a jojo. demon blood magic is stands. this is a jojo anime. flamboyant is an appropriate translation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

flashy definitely works for him, look at all those beads and gems

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Not gonna lie, Hashiras are pretty great, Love Hashiras and Wind Hashira in particular.

Also I'm not very surprised that Hashiras are pretty incredulous about Nezuko being a good girl, considering the explanation for why she doesn't eat people is "oh, demons totally don't have to eat people to survive and get stronger, they can just sleep a lot! :downs:", which.... isn't very convincing.

They could be a bit less assholish about it, but that wouldn't be as fun.

There's not a tooon more to draw off of from being current with the manga about him, but uh, the Wind Pillar is one of like, two pillars I would be uncomfortable calling a "good boy/girl". The other I don't remember even knowing enough about to make a call on it.

Like, he's a good Pillar - there's a good reason he's a pillar. Maybe he's even (spoilers) a passable brother, in a kinda dickish way.
But the ep we just saw establishes him as a giant rear end, and I don't think that changes.

E: lemme know if too spoilery. I don't think so, but I don't wanna be a jerk.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 5, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Homura and Sickle posted:

hes a jojo. demon blood magic is stands. this is a jojo anime. flamboyant is an appropriate translation.
I'm not saying he or anyone else in this isn't flamboyant, I'm saying there were more natural choices. The series has done pretty well with the dialogue up until now, flamboyant just feels a little too japanese-english dictionary.

dogsicle posted:

flashy definitely works for him, look at all those beads and gems
heck yeah.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how well they did the off character models in this episode, really match the manga

Zenitsu's panic attack was hilarious

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It is Avatar worthy.

Sad boar boy.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
We need a gif of that Nezuko

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

We need a gif of that Nezuko

I'm not good at gifs but I try for Best Girl Nezuko's sake.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Annointed posted:

It is Avatar worthy.

Sad boar boy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

isn't this a screenshot from that "my roommate is a cat" anime

ok close enough

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
aaaaaAAAAAAAAH I NEED SOMETHING TO HAPPEN

After all of the intensity of the last arc these last two episodes have dropped like a wet fart for me. All of it could easily have been a single episode for all it accomplished, possibly even half an episode.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
the shows over, just gearing up for next season

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yea, the spider family was last big arc, this is just winding down for the end of a season.

All we probably gonna get until the season finishes is fuming Nezuko, chilling Tanjiro, depressed Innosuke and probably a stinger for next season. Maybe a bit of Love Hashira, if we are lucky. And I'm OK with that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Just finished open-palm slamming this show into my brainmeats and I'm already feeling withdrawal symptoms.

Except for Zenitsu, I think I'm okay winding down my Zenitsu intake.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yea the anime isn't doing poor Zenitsu any favors, he's a lot more relatable in the comic as the normal guy stuck in the crazy world.

They dialed the annoying up to 11 and it's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

splitting the pillar meeting stuff over two episodes was definitely a bit of a drag but the hospital recovery arc is one of my favorite things so i'm very glad they're doing it with what's left of this season