Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Not cleaned yet. Have recharged the AC so that works wonderfully, took the top of and have been playing with it, you can roll up each rear side and the rear itself all together or separately. The suspension is very worn out, front leafs are essentially collapsed and the rears are very bouncy. All 4 absorbers are in a sad state to say nothing of the bushings. I've put in a pricey order for a full replacement (springs, bushings, absorbers and all) from Japanese 4x4 Spares. I did this on the white 85 Rugger we had and I'll be doing the same with this one. Floors do have some pin holes around the drain plugs so I'll be doing something to fix that. Wanted to do some sort of paint/coating to the inside as there is no carpet, just a rubber floor.

EDIT
Some shots of how far down you can take the top. Not only can you take the roof off like you'd expect, the windshield can fold down AND you can remove the rear B pillar along with taking down the tops of the doors as well.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How much does it cost to recharge a freon system nowadays?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

How much does it cost to recharge a freon system nowadays?

$59.50 because I used two cans.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks killer!

I have a big list of cars I am asking about tonight, but not even joking I am thinking of bidding on this, please someone talk me out of it

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 5, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

https://b-pro.ca/car/1972-honda-vamos-25865-km/

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've seen 2 pop up at auction in recent months...(Vamos)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Looks killer!

I have a big list of cars I am asking about tonight, but not even joking I am thinking of bidding on this, please someone talk me out of it

You could pick up your own cars with that and start a delivery service as well :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Looks killer!

Oh, heck no, *I* want that. If I had anywhere to park it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

Looks killer!

Hahahahaha, like any of us could talk you out of this.

Buy the gently caress out of it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How crazy would the shipping be for that?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

How crazy would the shipping be for that?

Probably add about $1500 on top of everything. I didn’t bid but regretting it, super low miles. Trying to figure out how to get a dealers license TN required I have an actual lot.

I did apply for my TWIC card today so when I get it in a week I can enter any port to pick up whatever unaccompanied.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a TWIC card so if anybody needs to pick up in OAK I'm down.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

This thing is a goddamned riot

What is this car again? I wasn't paying attention when you bought this thing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I believe it’s a Suzuki every turbo kei van that is bad rear end. I was somehow signed out of Skype so I didn’t get vids on a whole bunch of stuff I was after tonight but I do have one bid in:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Suzuki Every Turbo Aero Tune™

It's a standard Every, but turbo and intercooled, with the 'Aero Tune' body kit. They were sold only from 90-92, I think, though it is hard to find information on the 'Aero Tune' parts because you could get a Turbo Everys without the body kit. Why would you is a different question, but you could. I debated repainting it and making it prettier but I think we're just going to sell it as-is. I've got the Rugger to sink all my time into.

everdave posted:

I believe it’s a Suzuki every turbo kei van that is bad rear end. I was somehow signed out of Skype so I didn’t get vids on a whole bunch of stuff I was after tonight but I do have one bid in:

Ok listen I get the HiAce fire trucks and the campers and things, even the flat beds because I too fantasize about having one (with reality slamming me back into my seat going 'what the gently caress do you need a huge RHD flat bed truck for idiot') but cmon what are you going to do with that thing? It's going to be $2500+ just to ship it!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Ok listen I get the HiAce fire trucks and the campers and things, even the flat beds because I too fantasize about having one (with reality slamming me back into my seat going 'what the gently caress do you need a huge RHD flat bed truck for idiot') but cmon what are you going to do with that thing? It's going to be $2500+ just to ship it!

I...don’t know. There is probably something wrong with me but I see giant low mile crew cab 4wd with 15k km maintained by the govt and I think get it here and sell it to an overlander or prep it for use as one and sell for $25k.or I can pray I bid low enough tonight that I don’t win and I need to pull my head out of my rear end if you want me to be honest. I just get on these tangents around I see things and I think “i could have that” and sometimes that is dangerous

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

I...don’t know. There is probably something wrong with me but I see giant low mile crew cab 4wd with 15k km maintained by the govt and I think get it here and sell it to an overlander or prep it for use as one and sell for $25k.or I can pray I bid low enough tonight that I don’t win and I need to pull my head out of my rear end if you want me to be honest. I just get on these tangents around I see things and I think “i could have that” and sometimes that is dangerous

You have the right idea I think. With all the fire equipment removed it would make an awesome overlander, or the perfect truck for a landscaping/construction crew or something considering domestic quad cab dualies are ridiculously expensive. If you can get it cheap enough it's totally worth a shot, you would be able to sell it on the uniqueness alone I bet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Luckily or unluckily I got outbid. I’m still not convinced I couldn’t make this make sense but ive got a lot of cars coming I should probably sell some more before I pick up one of these massive beasts.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
In a similar line of thinking, I am considering giving up on tiny RV and pursuing tiny cabover to convert to a camper. There are a lot of them that I think go for cheap...

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

French Canadian posted:

In a similar line of thinking, I am considering giving up on tiny RV and pursuing tiny cabover to convert to a camper. There are a lot of them that I think go for cheap...

I think you're right in pursuing a body on frame quad cab as there are plenty of options for camper backs. Between Four Wheel Campers and the stuff coming out of Australia (Norweld, Alu-Cab, etc.) it shouldn't be too hard to find something that fits. The ideal vehicle would be either a flatbed or just a chassis with cab.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Arishtat posted:

I think you're right in pursuing a body on frame quad cab as there are plenty of options for camper backs. Between Four Wheel Campers and the stuff coming out of Australia (Norweld, Alu-Cab, etc.) it shouldn't be too hard to find something that fits. The ideal vehicle would be either a flatbed or just a chassis with cab.

That sounds amazing to somehow get a ready made thing for a Japanese cabover but I don't know if you can really get that stuff in the US.

Please prove me wrong.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

French Canadian posted:

That sounds amazing to somehow get a ready made thing for a Japanese cabover but I don't know if you can really get that stuff in the US.

Please prove me wrong.

With a flatbed it all comes down to dimensions and tie-down points. It's a little more complicated with a bare frame as you would need to fab up mounting points for the camper box, but still very doable. Far more interesting would be the electrical setup, but you could short cut that by making the camper completely self contained as far as power goes with a separate battery (or batteries), distribution system and charge controller + solar panels on the roof.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/fleet-flat-bed-popup-truck-camper-tray-tacoma.pdf

It would be really funny to put a $30K plus camper on the back of a truck obtained for a few grand. For reference the above camper is designed to go on a platform that replaces the 6' bed on a Toyota Tacoma.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

I looked at that one too! Never went ahead with inspection but it looked pretty good.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

French Canadian posted:

Please prove me wrong.

Go big or go home :getin:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/never-quit-overlands-extreme-isuzu-npr-build-4x4-conversion.1124357/

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Christ, I forgot how awful offroading forums really are, a bunch of 5th grade ad hominem attacks and jerky OPs.

edit: Now I know where a lot of those unused holes come from on my Rocky, which unfortunately has none of that transformable top shenanigans.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess this is an additional thing that can go wrong in this game. Do you eventually get a payout from the ship's insurer? I'm sure that's tons of fun trying to get through.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We ship on Hoegh ships and I don’t doubt their insurance, my concern would be if my I have a car on the boat that I paid $6k for and I want $15-20 for it here in usa how do I get made right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

We ship on Hoegh ships and I don’t doubt their insurance, my concern would be if my I have a car on the boat that I paid $6k for and I want $15-20 for it here in usa how do I get made right?

Lol, I highly doubt any insurance company would pay out what you think it was worth, you'd be lucky to get back what you had into it.

Cost of doing this business I suppose is the chance that a cargo ship with one or more of your cars could sink in a storm or something.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

everdave posted:

Do you input some kind of declared value when shipping the car? That’s what I do for UPS and the like.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nystral posted:

Do you input some kind of declared value when shipping the car? That’s what I do for UPS and the like.

And if you have a claim, they'll fight you tooth and nail. gently caress UPS/FedEx/DHL, but what are you going to do...?

The ships insurance will pay out what you spent plus maybe a little if it was a rare vehicle and you can find comps locally. You also might be able to buy it back from the insurer or salvage company for cheap. So long as it didn't get wet, it should be salvageable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

I guess this is an additional thing that can go wrong in this game. Do you eventually get a payout from the ship's insurer? I'm sure that's tons of fun trying to get through.

As everdave said, we use HOEGH. I did look into it because it happens to be right in line with our current ship that just dropped off 4 of my cars in Jacksonville, but this one isn't ours. Hoegh Trove was our boat this time :eng101:

My guess is that the declared value on our vehicles post-purchase is what the insurance is covered for. Leads me to believe that we would NOT get even our original money back as the declared value is always less than actual value. Makes sense though because the chances of a ship going down and your vehicles with it are extremely rare and the money saved in cheapening out on insurance makes it very much worth it. I'll ask Yoshi about it but I'm going with the pessimistic view of how this would shake out, probably because I am dead inside.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Your declared value should match your invoice value, or Customs can/will gently caress you.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

sharkytm posted:

And if you have a claim, they'll fight you tooth and nail. gently caress UPS/FedEx/DHL, but what are you going to do...?

Add USPS to that list, I paid them $180 to break my monitor and they kept "losing" my submissions until the deadline passed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Your declared value should match your invoice value, or Customs can/will gently caress you.

Minus shipping costs, handing, port fees, etc. But yeah, customs takes a dim view of playing with values.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

sharkytm posted:

Minus shipping costs, handing, port fees, etc. But yeah, customs takes a dim view of playing with values.

Right, the invoice value should be what you paid on the action sheet for the item.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Whoa, Autozam Mazdaspeed with a 4.5 rating...

Too bad I don't have cash to meet the minimum bid even...

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4oGDMOsE1s2Vf8.htm

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Where is the price/opening bid listed? I don't see it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Whoa, Autozam Mazdaspeed with a 4.5 rating...

Too bad I don't have cash to meet the minimum bid even...

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-4oGDMOsE1s2Vf8.htm

Yeeeep, with 42,000 km on it too. Not sure what's going on with the seat there and why it's covered in blue bit that car is 20k+ easy peasy.

MetaJew posted:

Where is the price/opening bid listed? I don't see it?

You have to be logged in, upper right, opening bid is 980,000¥:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thought this bit of info might be useful for this thread in particular given the age of the cars concerned:

The OEM tape deck on my Starlet quit working (radio is fine). When you put a cassette in it makes a whirring noises and won't play. Naturally, the radio I picked up from a wreckers to have as a spare came with this same problem.

I opened it up and sure enough the dainty little square drive belt had broken. You can buy a set of all different sizes from Hong Kong on eBay for like $1 (or locally for like 5x that) so that's what I've done. Replacing it looks pretty easy: you open the radio from the top using three normal sized Phillips screws, the the tape player assembly can then be removed from the radio (which continues to work fine without it) with a further three screws and unplugging two little Molex type plugs, then the bottom plate of that unscrews and you loop the belt around the pulleys. Will try to remember to update in a month or so when the belts get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

that car is 20k+ easy peasy.

You have to be logged in, upper right, opening bid is 980,000¥:

Do you mean re-sale value...or what you think it would bid for?