Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Milwaukee18v fan is great. It keeps me alive in the summer. Worth jumping into the 18v ecosystem anyways :v:

If you want to spend less, the Ryobi18v fan is exactly the same thing. There might be a Ridgid as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I had an odd experience with Milwaukee lately, but am still overall positive on them. Basically, I broke my 1/2" M18 impact gun, sent it in for repair, and got some frustratingly bad communication throughout the process. However, the survey that I answered regarding the service resulted in someone very kindly reaching out and making everything right - and now I've got the updated model on the way with +~300lb-ft at no cost.

TL;DR: Buy Milwaukee, they're Good.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem with nets is they'd impact my ability to easily drink beer as I read a book. The M18 ecosystem looks nice for big rear end impact tools, but I think I'd use that little M12 ratchet a lot more, especially with the new extended reach version.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

The problem with nets is they'd impact my ability to easily drink beer as I read a book. The M18 ecosystem looks nice for big rear end impact tools, but I think I'd use that little M12 ratchet a lot more, especially with the new extended reach version.

:hmmyes:

Perhaps one of those beer holder hats with the hose running up inside the net?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What kind of amateur can't drink a beer through a net?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Krakkles posted:

TL;DR: Buy Milwaukee, they're Good.

I've heard from a few people that Milwaukee's fit and finish isn't the best. Things like the rubber inserts bonded into the plastic housings coming off, cases breaking easily, etc. Is that anything you've experienced?

I've been considering expanding my cordless tools recently, and there's a few options about but i'm usually brand loyal to Bosch. I do have a cordless DeWalt drill which is very powerful but the battery life is abysmal, and a Snap-on impact gun which is well made and fiercely powerful. I'd rather get my new stuff to all match.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I've heard from a few people that Milwaukee's fit and finish isn't the best. Things like the rubber inserts bonded into the plastic housings coming off, cases breaking easily, etc. Is that anything you've experienced?
No, I’m pretty satisfied in those areas. It’s a good ecosystem, and the tools have all more than lived up to what I ask of them. When I sent that impact gun back for repairs, the rubber cladding was torn and worn in several places, but not in a way that affected use at all. Also, before that, it spent almost 6 years bouncing around in the back of a Jeep driven hard, and used to break loose everything I could get it near in a junkyard and at desert races. The only problems I’ve had are a dead battery (I left it plugged into the heated sweater and lost it for ~a year), a burned out rotary tool motor (I was cutting plastic and kept upping the speed to keep it from bogging down as the plastic melted), and the direction reverse switch breaking on that impact gun. That’s vaguely similar to what you’ve heard, but I think it lasted a satisfactory amount of time given the abuse it saw.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I had a 3/8 milwaukee impact with a trigger that went bad, other than that it’s all been good. Rea sally looking forward to that long-reach ratchet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Krakkles posted:

Sadly this was my first thought. Where there is a will there is a way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Yeah that's what straws were made for

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just run some tubing from a keg into your bee keeper suit with a bite valve on the end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You gotta keep the beer inside the net to protect it from mosquitos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Platystemon posted:

You gotta keep the beer inside the net to protect it from mosquitos.

For real.

Nobody wants to deal with drunken mosquitos.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

For real.

Nobody wants to deal with drunken mosquitos.

Nobody wants to drink a mosquito.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sharkytm posted:

What about drinking drunken mosquitoes?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Kinda like the worm in the tequila bottle...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Just think of it as a backwoodsy mojito.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

boxen posted:

Just think of it as a backwoodsy mojito.

Bloody Mary.

Both of my hydraulic jacks poo poo the bed when I tried to use them today. Dead seals on cheap jacks, a refill and burping did nada. 2004 Ram 1500 at stock ride-height, maybe 5000 lbs in all. Any recommendations? Tall and with wheels, costing around $200 preferably.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The new Daytonas from harbor freight look decent.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

sharkytm posted:

The new Daytonas from harbor freight look decent.

Heeey, there are tons of HF stores around me. That should work for at the house.

Now that I think about it, maybe hauling the jacks around in the toolbox during Florida summers lead to their failure. If I had been at work that poo poo would have stranded me. Is there a mechanical jack small and strong enough to jack up the truck enough to change a tire? Stock jack is long gone. I use a ramp for trailer tires so it doesn't need to be all that short.

Keep the hydraulic jack in the house and a simpler jack with the truck is the idea.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

On the jacking front, I was sorely tempted by the Quickjack at $899 at Costco today. :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

madeintaipei posted:

Is there a mechanical jack small and strong enough to jack up the truck enough to change a tire?

I'd say a cheap bottle jack (if you can find one with enough lift to raise the tire off the pavement) or barring that, a farm jack :suicide: or go junkyard trawling for a replacement scissor jack.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

I'd say a cheap bottle jack (if you can find one with enough lift to raise the tire off the pavement) or barring that, a farm jack :suicide: or go junkyard trawling for a replacement scissor jack.

Chevy truck mechanical bottle jack. Cheap and relatively rugged.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

On the jacking front, I was sorely tempted by the Quickjack at $899 at Costco today. :(
Do it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is it the 5000lb or 3500?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geoj posted:

There are always a few new surplus Ford Super Duty 2-stage bottle jacks on ebay. I've bought a couple and had them shipped here to England as it's still significantly cheaper than buying a good 2-stage here. They're really good quality, and 4-ton rating.

This is the seller i bought from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-15-FORD...NgAAOSwi6JciFSq

Hard to beat at $35.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hypnolobster posted:

Is it the 5000lb or 3500?

5000lb. It's one hell of a deal. I just have too many things going on to even clear storage space for it in the garage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

What the hell, that's a hundred bucks less than I paid for it. $999 was the lowest I'd ever seen it go.

Does Wera make a stubby screwdriver set? I could have used one today changing my spark plugs.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fknlo posted:

Does Wera make a stubby screwdriver set? I could have used one today changing my spark plugs.

I don't think they do a packaged set of stubbies, but they do a variety of them in philips/flat/bit holder. What specifically do you need in terms of drive type?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

meatpimp posted:

5000lb. It's one hell of a deal. I just have too many things going on to even clear storage space for it in the garage.
Here's how I store mine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I leave mine on the floor and just park the 996 over them. The power unit is the only thing that takes up any real estate and it's pretty small tbh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mooseykins posted:

I don't think they do a packaged set of stubbies, but they do a variety of them in philips/flat/bit holder. What specifically do you need in terms of drive type?

I just wanted a set of stubbies from them. Not like I have a ton of uses for them, but when you need a stubby you need a stubby. I ended up having to use some extensions and a universal joint to get the clamp on my turbo inlet pipe loose today. I didn't have anything short enough to get in there and there wasn't enough room to move a ratchet even though I could get one down there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wear does a stubby bit holder (universal 1/4”).

I just got one, actually, obscure web shop was so nice they billed me for one but sent me two!

As far as I can see they don’t make a complete set, only three or four plus the one I just mentioned.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any recommendations on a good metric tap and die set? I HATE the HF one I have, it seems to make terrible threads that feel very loose and in general seems to be of pretty questionable quality. I'm hobby grade, so it doesn't have to be crazy, but something I will use a few times a year at best, just don't want the cheapest of cheap that I have now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh bud, you can spend as much as you want on tap and dies. However, there is currently a Gearwrench set on sale.

GearWrench 75PC 3887 Ratcheting Tap and Die Drive Tool Set SAE/Metric https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBDW48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2zLDDb7Z5MFT5

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Oh bud, you can spend as much as you want on tap and dies. However, there is currently a Gearwrench set on sale.

GearWrench 75PC 3887 Ratcheting Tap and Die Drive Tool Set SAE/Metric https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBDW48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2zLDDb7Z5MFT5

Careful, the gear wrench set is carbon steel, not HSS. It's fine in aluminum, brass, or mild steel. It's absolutely not good for stainless or anything demanding. I have the metric version and it was a great deal, but I buy industrial brands for anything important. Widia, GTD, whatever McMaster sells, etc.

Thread tolerance is partially driven by tapping lube and procedure. If you are using straight taps, you must back up to break the chips every 1/2 turn or less, even in aluminum or plastics. Otherwise, the chips clog the flutes and will trash the these threads. Spiral point taps are great for through holes because of this, ditto with spiral flute taps.

If I were starting over, I'd buy the taps I need from an industrial supplier, rather than a kit. I use a lot more 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 1/4-20 than anything else. The carbon steel stuff is fine for cleaning up holes or in plastics, but the industrial stuff blows it away.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 9, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I agree. I only have a miggy so the stuff I work with will almost always use a non-stainless/weldable alloys. I project my needs a bit when I make recommendations. 90% of what I use tap and dies for is chasing threads.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

To be fair, I probably don't have the correct size drill bits for metric taps and wing it.

I wish the gearwrench ones had the bits because that would fix both problems.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

To be fair, I probably don't have the correct size drill bits for metric taps and wing it.

I wish the gearwrench ones had the bits because that would fix both problems.

Again, buy the drills you need. You can get close to the metric sizes with number and letter. Just remember to consult a chart and shoot for 60-80% thread. McMaster is your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm a bit weak from being sick for 5 weeks earlier in spring, but jesus christ I can't seem to get a good grip on Quick Jacks after working on the car for a whole day and clearing up. I wish they had some handles along the sides for carrying. Might get some straps and attaching them (so that they also hold together the frames).