Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

JordanKai posted:

Are gigs even a problem for him? It seems to me like Rob can simply snap his fingers and Marvel will pay him to release a new X-Men miniseries.

I'd always heard his punctuality was what balanced out his artistic foibles.

What's the scoop on Liefeld's anti-trans/gay sentiments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Still waiting for Peter Parker to get with Carol Danvers. I been waiting Marvel!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Are gigs even a problem for him? It seems to me like Rob can simply snap his fingers and Marvel will pay him to release a new X-Men miniseries.

He's already got a book coming out in - ha ha, almost got me - anyway, it's called Major X and is supposed to be Out Soon. That said one of the selling points of Rob was that he was by all accounts a very nice guy to deal with, and a friend of mine co-wrote the Deadpool Bad Blood TPB so I've got a first hand account.

That was before the whole Kickstarter thing and Never Trump But Build The Wall thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

He's already got a book coming out in - ha ha, almost got me - anyway, it's called Major X and is supposed to be Out Soon. That said one of the selling points of Rob was that he was by all accounts a very nice guy to deal with, and a friend of mine co-wrote the Deadpool Bad Blood TPB so I've got a first hand account.

That was before the whole Kickstarter thing and Never Trump But Build The Wall thing.

Major x is already out as a comic...

Disappointing to see the racist tweet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I knew Liefeld wasn't actually a nice guy. I felt it in my bones.

Covok posted:

Also, the early Dan slott run is pretty good. It's when it kept going that it got bad. Once you get past Superior Spider-Man, you can stop there.

I am going to have to vehemently disagree. It was never good. Even when he was a rotating writer on ASM with like 3 other guys his parts were the worst (not that Guggenheim's were much better).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

E the Shaggy posted:

Still waiting for Peter Parker to get with Carol Danvers. I been waiting Marvel!

This happened back in Brian Reid's Ms. Marvel series.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Space Fish posted:

I'd always heard his punctuality was what balanced out his artistic foibles.

What's the scoop on Liefeld's anti-trans/gay sentiments?

This is just vague memory but I believe he didn't handle it very well when a character he created was changed to be gay in a later series.

But Liefeld never really became famous over here so he's just been a guy who I've come across from anecdotes from people who worked with him that get spread around as gossip.

Speaking of, I noticed they're 50-50 splits between him either being very punctual and a nice guy to work with to being extremely lazy and worskhy and a pain to interect with.

Assuming they're all accurate I'm guessing theirs a strong correlation with how big his career and personality was doing and the more negative anecdotes. He seemed pretty chill and harmless in that old Stan Lee video.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

This is just vague memory but I believe he didn't handle it very well when a character he created was changed to be gay in a later series.

He ended up coming around on that, but still :
https://www.cbr.com/deadpool-artist-liefeld-changes-stance-on-shatterstars-sexuality/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The tweet was deleted, what was it?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Skwirl posted:

Oh gently caress no, why? I liked thinking of him as the goofy enthusiastic guy who can't draw feet.

https://twitter.com/littlemac1183/status/1170749918576893953?s=20

Screenshot tweets if they're for this thread cause they probably won't last long. Is there another source?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IUG posted:

The tweet was deleted, what was it?
A screenshot of Rob Liefeld tweeting something like "Is it okay if I don't like Trump but want a border wall?"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I always figured him to be a garden variety neolib doofus based on this article from last year:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/16/rob-liefeld-america-dont-freaking-nazi/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Here it is

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I always figured him to be a garden variety neolib doofus based on this article from last year:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/16/rob-liefeld-america-dont-freaking-nazi/

I mean, during the Bush administration a bunch of Democrats (including Obama and Clinton) voted to fund 700 miles of "fencing" on the border, which was basically just a euphemism for a wall. And even today, Democratic congressional leadership still talks about how they want to increase "border security" measures like drones, surveillance cameras, and the like, which would have a lot of the same policy effect as a wall without serving as a big obvious symbol of racism.

So basically the answer to Liefield's question is "yes, you can support a wall [or other harsh border measures] while disliking Trump."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Wendell posted:

Here it is

:sigh:
This world is loving depressing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So like is that an actual tweet or an edit? Because I feel like it maybe would have come up at some point before now.

quote:

“Don’t be a freaking nazi, white supremacist or bigot of any sort! It’s un-American and in fact it’s inhumane! Be good to each other and LOVE more! Embrace it as its far easier to love than hate. My wife’s grandma always said that ‘hate consumes and contaminates the vessel in which it is stored.’ I believe this to be true above all else.”

Yes, this also made me think he's probably a nazi.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Well that's a concrete reason to hate the guy.

I mean, I hated that he drew while driving. That poo poo's dangerous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah maybe we shouldn't trust easily doctored twitter screenshots as primary evidence.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The original tweet, that has now been deleted, had the screenshot with a November 2018 date. I feel like we would have seen or heard of that tweet prior to yesterday if it had been made almost a year ago.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Twitter searching suggests it's a tweet that he deleted shortly after posting it. I don't know if he's in support of a border wall at this point. At least publicly he's not supporting it.

However his twitter profile today says "Pro 3rd party candidate"......

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was all for Domino being black in DP2, I can't recall him ever being blatantly racist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As a Extremely Lukewarm defense of Liefeld, the timing of his tweet on 22 December 2018 means a possible interpretation of this is that he supports the dems surrendering on the wall to avoid the government shutdown that started that day, so his real position is that he's ambivalent on the wall and sees it as a thing to be gotten over and done with. I think this is also consistent with his support of Schultz who is probably closest to his politics.

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/1090284853847703552

Basically he's your standard privileged wealthy white male. "racism is over now" etc

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 9, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this was the first thing that popped up on twitter search

https://twitter.com/0_Matt_Whelan_0/status/1170884869062385665

but i think this exchange in that thread was what made it gold

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The people are talking past each other in that. Liefeld isn't saying that he doesn't know the date on the tweet, he thinks he knows the date (except both of them are wrong because it's actually less than 2 years ago - less than one year ago in fact, but I don't blame them for thinking the Trump presidency lasted a million years), he's objecting to the cropped tweet screenshot that removes the date from the tweet and makes it look like he posted it just now.

This one https://i.imgur.com/KTnxhCy.jpg from https://twitter.com/chloehandler/status/1170795543347499008

His 'where is the date on this' is a misthreaded reply to the original tweet.

Hence his other reply down the thread https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/1170844924444438533

EDIT: FWIW, I do think Liefeld is right to cry foul here, since the other version in @littlemac1183's (now deleted) tweet *did*, IIRC, have the date, so someone at some point went out of their way to crop out the date from the screenshot for reasons?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 9, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess I don't understand why bogging everything down in "why did they chop the date" games matters when he posted it in late 2018, well after anyone could pretend to be naive about the implications of advocating for the border wall and everything that comes along with that

Iirc the person who posted the now deleted tweet with the screen cap that kicked this off didn't even pretend it was new, it was a "hey remember when this happened" post

The most I can grant is that Rob quickly realized how dumb an idea it was to post such a thing for the public to see, considering how fast he deleted it

site fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 9, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well I think Liefeld can be both a douchebag, and yet also bringing this up as if he posted it today is kinda a dick move.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess I'd have to see the original tweet again because I don't remember it being portrayed as being a brand new thing, but since it's been deleted maybe it was

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The now deleted tweet I posted said they wanted to remind everyone about this and included the date it was posted.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/GutsyGrinder/status/1171314728662118401

Is this true?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Site is back up, but a bunch of user info was leaked.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Site is back up, but a bunch of user info was leaked.

specifically almost 5k user IDs tied to IP addresses, and also private conversations from the site.

they hypocracy in reaction is staggering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The doxxers were........doxxed?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The doxxers were........doxxed?

Like raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn on your wedding day.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
They're eating each other

https://twitter.com/AbacusMike/status/1171433047469592576?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What fresh hell is this?

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1171545763719110658?s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They do get that plausible deniability has to be plausible, right?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Is that Hapajack? Happajack? The dude who started shilling for ionized water and Christianity? Been a minute since I thought about that racist weirdo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Is that Hapajack? Happajack? The dude who started shilling for ionized water and Christianity? Been a minute since I thought about that racist weirdo.

He's the Yu-Gi-Oh disproves evolution guy, I think.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

He's the Yu-Gi-Oh disproves evolution guy, I think.

He's both. Towards the end of his webcomic's run, he got sucked into a pyramid scheme that involved some kind of fancy water, and I assume he lost his shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not to toot my own horn, but here is a thread about the history of Mike S. Miller that (in happier days for Comicsgate) led to EVS brigading me and convincing his followers to contact my employers

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1017507459311788032