Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Starlight said someone else's name before she got the phone call at the beginning, how many other people were involved in the "we need to replace Lamplighter" super search?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

bring back old gbs posted:

Also there probably are conspiracy theorists who think superheros are clones created in a lab or on super drugs, why not? they'd get labelled as crazy fringe personalities. just ranting on youtube.

Vought most like has a few personalities on the payroll too

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah in the year of "of course epstein offed himself sometimes u get sad in jail :downs:" I'm pretty willing to suspend disbelief on a grand conspiracy to make supernerds.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
But these conspiracies don't involve highly powerful and influential people, they're parents of a wide range of social and economic backgrounds. And the conspiracy The Boys uncover isn't met with "oh huh I guess those fringe theories were right" it's met with "holy poo poo this is the biggest secret in the history of forever."
"nothing matters lol" cynicism is a lovely way to excuse bad writing of fiction, where consequences are supposed to exist so that the dramatic action has, well, meaning.

Also what about the parents who were offered the deal to inject their child with superdrug and were like "lol no"? Were they made an offer they couldn't refuse?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 9, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t follow how it’s “bad writing” to suggest powerful and influential people can get away with something like this but “normal parents” would cause this to be a huge issue.

Vought clearly runs the entertainment industry, meaning their media influence is effectively total. Nothing is going to break the story if they don’t want it to.

Also it’s not cynicism when it’s literally happening, I’m not some flouride-chem trails lizard person, I’m an American Citizen living in a time when our sitting President was implicated by a victim of sex trafficking in the biggest pedofile scandal of our lifetime and literally nothing happened (until the pedofile mysteriously committed suicide during a camera malfunction)

Frankly, I’m being serious when I say this story breaking out and becoming a big deal would be the least believable outcome.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t follow how it’s “bad writing” to suggest powerful and influential people can get away with something like this but “normal parents” would cause this to be a huge issue.

Vought clearly runs the entertainment industry, meaning their media influence is effectively total. Nothing is going to break the story if they don’t want it to.

Also it’s not cynicism when it’s literally happening, I’m not some flouride-chem trails lizard person, I’m an American Citizen living in a time when our sitting President was implicated by a victim of sex trafficking in the biggest pedofile scandal of our lifetime and literally nothing happened (until the pedofile mysteriously committed suicide during a camera malfunction)

Frankly, I’m being serious when I say this story breaking out and becoming a big deal would be the least believable outcome.

They paid them money, they'd sue them into the stone age and /or probably have them killed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the deputy director of the loving CIA was just a naive normie when she thought something would matter, and that the supervillain didn't need to show up at all because Vought will never experience consequences ever.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Really, if you ever thought it was possible for the protagonists of this TV show to foil the schemes of a megacorporation, you're a liberal cuck who is voting for Biden or maybe Harris in the primary.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Really, if you ever thought it was possible for the protagonists of this TV show to foil the schemes of a megacorporation, you're a liberal cuck who is voting for Biden or maybe Harris in the primary.

Nothing matters lol

(also a theme in a lot Ennis' work, christ that Nick Fury miniseries about Cold War was dark)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sure, but a supe's family isn't the protagonist of this TV show, nor is the CIA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But these conspiracies don't involve highly powerful and influential people, they're parents of a wide range of social and economic backgrounds. And the conspiracy The Boys uncover isn't met with "oh huh I guess those fringe theories were right" it's met with "holy poo poo this is the biggest secret in the history of forever."
"nothing matters lol" cynicism is a lovely way to excuse bad writing of fiction, where consequences are supposed to exist so that the dramatic action has, well, meaning.

Seriously? Parents are easier to disappear than powerful and influential people! It's backwards. I could see them being willing to kill some parents but not willing to kill a senator, but if Homelander is willing to laser-eye some senator's plane when he's in the middle of US airspace these people have ZERO limits. And clearly they can get away with them.

As to the Boys, seriously? That's just being human. Its cognitive bias. They would have ignored any conspiracy theories as bunk when they heard them because they weren't authoritative sources. Then when something happens, its only human to go "oh poo poo" and not instantly jump back to that time 4 years ago you saw a crazy on TV claiming this same thing.

People not being perfect memory recall robots is bad writing?? You think every human has Eidetic memory? loving lmao.

I'm sorry but study some psychology SpiderHyphenMan that's not how human beings work. And they even likely would alter how they looked at things in retrospect to deal with cognitive bias.

"No, those crazy people weren't on to the conspiracy, they just got lucky. It wasn't that we didn't listen to them. Those people were crazy. But this, this is real."

Its ALL too easy for human beings to roll with stuff like that. Sheesh.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also what about the parents who were offered the deal to inject their child with superdrug and were like "lol no"? Were they made an offer they couldn't refuse?

Zaphod42 posted:

Vought probably does their homework on the parents, finds ones who are totally lifetime believers

:colbert: we're going in circles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is a colossally bad and toxic post. Shame on you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yes because megacorps are invulnerable that's why we still have Rockefeller Steel running everything

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doltos posted:

Yes because megacorps are invulnerable that's why we still have Rockefeller Steel running everything

I can only assume you mean Carnegie Steel since Rockefeller was the oil baron. It's still the second largest steel producer in the US and it only really declined due to the overall steel decline in America, not due to some scandal or something

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doltos posted:

lmao, just lmao

Corporations are immortal nowadays. The name may change, but the assets and infrastructure just change hands. Meanwhile, the debts and the liabilities and employee pensions get shaken off like a layer of dead skin.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Fly Molo posted:

lmao, just lmao

Corporations are immortal nowadays. The name may change, but the assets and infrastructure just change hands. Meanwhile, the debts and the liabilities and employee pensions get shaken off like a layer of dead skin.

Hell at the end of the comic, after the "superhero uprising" Vought-American Consolidated renames itself and promptly goes into reinventing the remaining supes they have into a new team

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Also that and like how many babies die from this poo poo? Like sure the parents sign an NDA or whatever but it only takes one leak to blow it open.

It kinda doesn’t make sense on the scale they are doing it.

Maybe they only approach the parents of babies who get superpowers instead of dying

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Maybe they only approach the parents of babies who get superpowers instead of dying

Wait wasn’t she premature? Maybe they only hit up parents who kids don’t have a good chance?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll also suggest the possibility that soon-to-be parents are hormonal ape-faced morons who are probably half crazed by the time Vought approaches them and they just kind of agree to whatever bullshit the doctor says. It’s the same reason that more than half the US is circumcised, doctors just come in and be like “yeah were gonna cut the baby’s wiener into pieces just to make it look weird” and the mom and dad are like “cool cool cool”

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll also suggest the possibility that soon-to-be parents are hormonal ape-faced morons who are probably half crazed by the time Vought approaches them and they just kind of agree to whatever bullshit the doctor says. It’s the same reason that more than half the US is circumcised, doctors just come in and be like “yeah were gonna cut the baby’s wiener into pieces just to make it look weird” and the mom and dad are like “cool cool cool”

Maybe the kids are secondary, they aren't just dosing random babies to see what they get. The parents are selected based on vanity / greed qualifiers, anybody who doesn't meet the right psychological profile doesn't get the offer. But if you're sociopathic/pageant parent types, Vought straight up lies and say "We have detected your child has the potential for superpowers!!! This is a huge opportunity and if we intervene now with this classified procedure, they could become the next Homelander. What do you think??" And of course they accept, Vought knew they would the entire time. Over the years some parents have a change of heart about the entire thing and get disappeared like Starlight's dad, but most don't.

So now the parents are in on the grift but also believe their child was special in the first place because not every child has the super hero gene, even if we did enhance it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It also raises the question of parental DNA being some kind of signifier. Was Starlight a good candidate for Compound V because of her mother and father or all babies equally susceptible to the DA JOOCE?

Starlight’s dad being absent is never mentioned right?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Maybe the kids are secondary, they aren't just dosing random babies to see what they get. The parents are selected based on vanity / greed qualifiers, anybody who doesn't meet the right psychological profile doesn't get the offer.
Imagine how loving thrown you'd be if you were a superhero therapist at Vought and someone came in for something that wasn't about having a horrible childhood

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

It also raises the question of parental DNA being some kind of signifier. Was Starlight a good candidate for Compound V because of her mother and father or all babies equally susceptible to the DA JOOCE?

Starlight’s dad being absent is never mentioned right?

They literally argued about her dad leaving because of Compound V in the last episode, he got the guilts and left. Annie says maybe he didn't want to lie to her.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

Comic book superheroes actually had a crossover about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, Silent Hill got weird.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd expect Foreskin Man's costume to be a lot looser than that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Julio Cruz posted:

Phimosis is a serious issue

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlbear Camus posted:

Comic book superheroes actually had a crossover about it.

This looks like its from the 90s Penthouse comics.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Julio Cruz posted:

Lack of a hood also an interesting choice.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
May have been posted already, but still

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1157846994980937728?s=19

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rocksicles posted:

They literally argued about her dad leaving because of Compound V in the last episode, he got the guilts and left. Annie says maybe he didn't want to lie to her.

My guess is that this is a cover story for Dad being a good stand up guy who wanted to go public and wound up getting turbo-murdered by supes.

This is wholly baseless, but it does fit in with starlight bring the show's vehicle for total disillusionment.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man, Silent Hill got weird.

I got this joke.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

El Padrino posted:

Hell at the end of the comic, after the "superhero uprising" Vought-American Consolidated renames itself and promptly goes into reinventing the remaining supes they have into a new team

"And that one is clearly The Deep." was probably my favorite line of the entire series and it was like on the last couple of pages.

It looks like they are going in a completely different direction with Homelander and Butcher which I don't mind, but I guess that means we are not getting the
"You gently caress! You hosed My Entire loving Life!" scene, which is sad since it was so great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is the kind of excitement I had for Runaways on Hulu. It goes off in a direction that is inspired by the comic run but keeps you guessing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BTS look at Black Noir and his powers: https://i.imgur.com/FKfbLrz.mp4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

BTS look at Black Noir and his powers: https://i.imgur.com/FKfbLrz.mp4

HE IS doing great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Urban really makes that whole thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Urban really makes that whole thing.