Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

That makes sense, it just seems weird that they're apparently identical codewise but still show up as separate entries.

I imagine it's more that the page with a list of smilies is updated by hand, instead of automatically based on available smilies. And someone just accidentally pasted in :emptyquote: there twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SubNat posted:

I imagine it's more that the page with a list of smilies is updated by hand, instead of automatically based on available smilies. And someone just accidentally pasted in :emptyquote: there twice.

No it was literally two people buying them at the same time. It was a whole thing in one of the GDQ threads.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubNat posted:

I imagine it's more that the page with a list of smilies is updated by hand

Wait what?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I want to believe, that would be very on brand for this place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The page not updating automatically would be on brand but there’s no way anyone would bother to update it if it didn’t.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
It could use a tweak with, honestly. I find the drat thing murderously hard to navigate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Keyword search for smilies is one of the main new things I want here day to day, trying to see search matches in my browser sucks, and I'm pretty much screwed if I don't remember the exact terminology of something like :respek: (which I've learned specifically because of that unintuitive name)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Keyword search for smilies is one of the main new things I want here day to day, trying to see search matches in my browser sucks, and I'm pretty much screwed if I don't remember the exact terminology of something like :respek: (which I've learned specifically because of that unintuitive name)

If you have an example in a post you can hover your pointer over a smilie to get the bbcode for it, though that isn't always available.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i think there used to be a greasemonkey script that added smilie search. i miss it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What is done by hand is putting the smilies on the smiley page in categories. And I don't think anyone really bothers doing that anymore.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

quote:

Horrible & retarded poo poo we can't wait to delete

Carbon dioxide posted:

What is done by hand is putting the smilies on the smiley page in categories. And I don't think anyone really bothers doing that anymore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I'm really happy the dog, the frog and the cat have some company now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm really happy the dog, the frog and the cat have some company now.

Also the :smaug:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Captain Hygiene posted:

Or just delete ~70% of them because they're references to forgotten in-jokes that were run into the ground for a week 12 years ago and then never used again.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The Something Awful Propaganda thread is amazing, but I'm not widely steeped in Goon Lore, so some of the references go past me.

What's the story being referenced here?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vavrek posted:

The Something Awful Propaganda thread is amazing, but I'm not widely steeped in Goon Lore, so some of the references go past me.

This ancient photoshop:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vavrek posted:

Super old Photoshop of a mailman fighting a dog for his mail bag. And the dog has shoes on

Edit: beaten with source

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

It was a photoshop phriday, there were some other amazing ones but that one definitely made the biggest splash.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

OniPanda posted:

It was a photoshop phriday, there were some other amazing ones but that one definitely made the biggest splash.

Other than that one from 15 years ago, what's some front page stuff that's still funny/referenced?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I was always partial to the official game of somethingawful, perhaps for its weird soundtrack. It was front page stuff and built upon other front page stuff.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/gaming-guyz-game/

Hopefully you can still get the flash program working.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I was always partial to the official game of somethingawful, perhaps for its weird soundtrack. It was front page stuff and built upon other front page stuff.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/gaming-guyz-game/

Hopefully you can still get the flash program working.

tags: video games, sonic's head

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vavrek posted:

The Something Awful Propaganda thread is amazing
Link the thread :argh:

Wizzanthos posted:

Other than that one from 15 years ago, what's some front page stuff that's still funny/referenced?
There's a front page?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Pierzak posted:

Link the thread :argh:

He did. Click the username on the post he quoted.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wizzanthos posted:

I saw https://www.somethingawful.com/series/fur-trapper-saga/ referenced recently, but someone explained the reference later. Holy poo poo the last post dispatch was in 2016, I'm fairly sure I haven't read them all.

Pierzak posted:

There's a front page?

Quoted for ban.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Vavrek posted:

The Something Awful Propaganda thread is amazing

hell yes a chance to toot my own horn

If you're reading this Inexplicable Humblebrag sorry, you've got to see the shirt again.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

.oops, wrong button.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

senrath posted:

He did. Click the username on the post he quoted.
:doh: how did I miss that

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What is the oldest still active thread?

I'm asking because Wrestling questions thread was closed after 10 years.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180956

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wizzanthos posted:

Slenderman is still referenced sometimes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kennel posted:

ADRTW had a thread dedicated to the science fiction anime Legend of the Galactic Heroes that was around for more than a decade. I don’t know if it is still around and/or active.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kennel posted:

The Puroresu thread over there is even older (2006) and still going: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1762736

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

ADRTW had a thread dedicated to the science fiction anime Legend of the Galactic Heroes that was around for more than a decade. I don’t know if it is still around and/or active.

looks like it still gets a few posts once in a while

Around since 2004...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The problem with really long running threads is they need to hit a balance between being active enough that they don't get archived, but not so active that they break the forum and need to be restarted before they've reached a respectable age.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thread in Games about Deus Ex being ten years old turns ten years old in a couple months.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wanna know how so many SA smilies end up in various companies' Slack libraries.

Clearly there is (or was) a goon working at X company, but how does one seek said goon out without publicly owning oneself

Either you're gonna out yourself as a goon to your coworkers or you're gonna dox your employer. Bah

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

every slack needs :toot:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If we ever move to slack I'm definitely getting :psyduck: added. :toot:/:confuoot: are high up on the list too in emotions that the default emote lists don't usually convey quite right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see which user uploaded which emoji :ssh: (account menu -> customize slack)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Data Graham posted:

I wanna know how so many SA smilies end up in various companies' Slack libraries.

Clearly there is (or was) a goon working at X company, but how does one seek said goon out without publicly owning oneself

Either you're gonna out yourself as a goon to your coworkers or you're gonna dox your employer. Bah

Print the smiley out, tape it up to the break room fridge when no one is looking. Instruct knowledgeable coworkers to post in a thread of your choice.

Expected outcome: goon coworker recognizes shibboleth, posts in thread, anonymity is retained for all parties.

Unexpected outcome: another coworker intuits how to navigate forums, now there is one more goon in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hey coworker buddies, just throwing this out here, I'm planning some renovations on my second floor soon and wanted some design ideas. Does anyone here have STAIRS in their HOUSE?