Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, so a comedian on stage made a joke. It was really good. I laughed a lot at it too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

that's literally a part on the special we're talking about, dingus. He literally calls it 'celebrity hunting season' as if people were plotting against him and all.

Pretty sure that was a joke lol

Honestly the only other problem i have with the special outside of him defending MJ was bringing up Chris tucker and mentioning that he brought a lot of friends like al gore, Kamala harris, Cali mayor/governor and what not.

Like Chris tucker was on the flight logs dude...

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Is wacko jacko a molester now? Seems like he was in the 90s then maybe he wasn't for awhile.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
When Dave first came out with the two specials on Netflix, I watched one w my dad and it ended on a joke that was basically “trans people will trap you” which is a mindset that gets transwomen murdered all the time. It was also wasn’t very clever. It was disappointing to see a guy who made such great observations on celebrity and being black in America go to this really lazy, kind of gross place.

I haven’t really stayed up with his work since, and it’s a shame that he might go back to that well. I’m going to check it out because I’m interested in how it compares to Aziz’s special and just the current climate of superstar comedians.

It’s so weird how so many seem unable to adapt. Bill Burr’s perspective of “I don’t get it but God love ya” when it comes to some of this stuff is lightyears ahead of his peers. His joke about a trans woman athlete ripping her dick off and beating people up with it isn’t great, but it’s at least absurd and more clearly a joke than some of these guys being like “can you believe these people?”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Pretty sure that was a joke lol

Honestly the only other problem i have with the special outside of him defending MJ was bringing up Chris tucker and mentioning that he brought a lot of friends like al gore, Kamala harris, Cali mayor/governor and what not.

Like Chris tucker was on the flight logs dude...

It's like a five minute bit about how if you do "one thing wrong" you get "destroyed". The joke wasn't that he wasn't actually defending CK.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sexpig by night posted:

It's like a five minute bit about how if you do "one thing wrong" you get "destroyed". The joke wasn't that he wasn't actually defending CK.

It was a very funny five minute bit. Great comedy by the incomparable genius Dave Chapelle.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Is wacko jacko a molester now? Seems like he was in the 90s then maybe he wasn't for awhile.

This documentary seems to have been a tipping point: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Neverland

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He’s on the Epstein flight logs

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sexpig by night posted:

No, it was a lead-in joke where he meant to talk about how well-meaning people put a lot of effort and talked a lot about taking down Louis CK thinking that would make a difference for women. Meanwhile, women lost the right to abortion in a bunch of states. I think he's right in believing that restricting access to abortions was a much worse thing that could happen to women. Wouldn't you agree?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Two things can be bad at the same time.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Laterite posted:

Two things can be bad at the same time.

They aren't the same baby.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Odddzy posted:

No, it was a lead-in joke where he meant to talk about how well-meaning people put a lot of effort and talked a lot about taking down Louis CK thinking that would make a difference for women. Meanwhile, women lost the right to abortion in a bunch of states. I think he's right in believing that restricting access to abortions was a much worse thing that could happen to women. Wouldn't you agree?

Do you think there's not a lot of overlap in people who think CK was a piece of poo poo and people who think abortions should be available freely?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Oddzy continuing his tradition of being the worst.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Well no not now

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sexpig by night posted:

Do you think there's not a lot of overlap in people who think CK was a piece of poo poo and people who think abortions should be available freely?

I think, like Chapelle, that people bitch and complain about the smaller fish (a guy that jerked off on himself) because it doesn't require much involvement besides saying what CK did was wrong. Everyone agrees that it sucks what happened to the women in the hotel room. But Chapelle's point is that it's been talked about too much in contrast to other things that have been inflicted to many more women over the past few years and the left simply can't move past it. This thread is proof of that. One of you called Chapelle right leaning and just playing for the right, in a special where he's dressed in khakis calling for a second coming of the black power movement. It speaks to how tone deaf you are and how you've got no ability to see nuance in people's point of view. It's something Chapelle himself called-out his special.

Some of the special was a little cringe (the 20% alphabet bit, but the trans story in the epilogue gives more texture to his point of view) but overall I think it's a good special and would recommend people that aren't terminally online watch it and discuss parts of it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

and how you've got no ability to see nuance in people's point of view

You can't process people being concerned about 2 things at once while saying people don't grasp nuance.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You can't process people being concerned about 2 things at once while saying people don't grasp nuance.

Whatever man, poo poo's boring, who cares.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Whatever man, poo poo's boring, who cares.

You got into this whole thing because you couldn't follow out the topic of discussion. You've kept going defending Dave after that. You care.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You got into this whole thing because you couldn't follow out the topic of discussion. You've kept going defending Dave after that. You care.

follow out?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Favaaaaa beans???

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Favaaaaa beans???

Billy Joel...!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Jeremy Lin

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
MFW my offensive transsexual bit KILLS on stage in front of THOUSANDS of adoring fans.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cael posted:

Jeremy Lin

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Please whatever we do we gotta post more unfunny crap in the comedy thread on the comedy forum

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Eddie Murphy is saying he's going to do a stand up tour soon.

I think he's a genius but I'd be lying if I said some of his stuff hasn't aged terribly and be an rear end in a top hat if I tried to defend it. I just wonder what sort of contemporary topics would lend themselves well to his style. Certainly there are a lot out there ripe for the picking but comedy has changed a lot since 1987 and seeing how he adapts is going to be interesting. His best stuff revolves around growing up as a kid and bits about family members and stuff. He did do some funny things making fun of celebrities but obviously "human being jokes" and all that poo poo isn't gonna play.

He also seems to have led a very isolated and private lifestyle for decades now which I would think would make inventing timely bits and clever observational humor quite difficult.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

BiggerBoat posted:

He also seems to have led a very isolated and private lifestyle for decades now which I would think would make inventing timely bits and clever observational humor quite difficult.

If he is really so isolated and there is nobody around to tell him no, there is tantalizing potential for it to be a bizarre trainwreck which is what I would like please.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
He could just tell funny stories that happened to him in his private life and it would be more than enough for the public I'd wager. I'd imagine most people would go out to see Eddie the superstar, not to see Eddie the standup comedian.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I watched his episode of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and he didn't say one funny thing. It was weird.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Think it was on "Do You Need A Ride?" Karen Kilgariff brought up that he's been terrified of doing standup again because he's been gone so long and he doesn't think he could live up to expectations. Both entirely unstandable given his situation.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Think it was on "Do You Need A Ride?" Karen Kilgariff brought up that he's been terrified of doing standup again because he's been gone so long and he doesn't think he could live up to expectations. Both entirely unstandable given his situation.

Maybe his brother Charlie dying spurred him into it. I'll go into it with low expectations, but it will probably be ok.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

I watched his episode of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and he didn't say one funny thing. It was weird.

yea, he maybe will tell some fun stories or something but I can't remember the last time I've seen him actually be that funny recently. I'm sure Literally Eddie Murphy can still write an alright special and all but my expectations are rock bottom for anything better than 'listen to this super rich connected dude tell stories that kinda have the cadence of jokes I guess?'

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It's not standup, but he's in the upcoming Dolomite movie and he might be more in-character than any human has ever been before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Ar4EZA6DU

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 9, 2019

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Eddie Murphy's old standup was always tied to his physical performance too. An older Eddie is going to have to be something very different. I have no idea what to expect quality wise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Eddie Murphy's old standup was always tied to his physical performance too. An older Eddie is going to have to be something very different. I have no idea what to expect quality wise.

yea Eddie's stuff was always half good jokes and half body/voice work to push it over the edge, I don't think a dude his age who's been doing normal comedy poo poo so long is gonna be in full on Eddie Murphy Manic Mode.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Do the whole thing in character as Sherman Klump so he doesn’t have to move much.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FitFortDanga posted:

Same with the SNL 40th reunion or whatever that was. He got this HUGE ovation and then just rambled for a few minutes. Totally bombed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Bill Burr's Paper Tiger is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the only good thing about Netflix making fifty '(comic) brutally takes down modern culture' specials at once is they're too stupid to stagger the releases better so at least we just let this poo poo wash over us in waves instead of it being a constant drip feed of 'an old man is v. angry right now and that's everyone's problem'.