Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jesus.

I think I might be running a BW Knights deck after rotation. It seems very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Going to make a bad Adventure deck with Portal of Sanctuary.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

So based off the wording of Wicked Wolf, you can't activate that ability if you've tapped to attack, correct? Having "Tap it." on a separate line of its own has me confused.

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.

Vaah posted:

So based off the wording of Wicked Wolf, you can't activate that ability if you've tapped to attack, correct? Having "Tap it." on a separate line of its own has me confused.

Pretty sure it attacks just fine. The "Tap it" is an effect of the ability. The only cost is to sacrifice a food.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vaah posted:

You can. It’s just untemplated regeneration. Because it taps as part of the effect, if it’s already tapped, it just tries to tap it again and does nothing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vaah posted:

No you can, it's part of the effect.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

For a big lol compere the costs and effects of these cards with the ones on Murderous Rider/Swift End and ignore the latter is rare

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:thunk:

(food is a better designed version of energy)

Vaah posted:

You can; that's part of the ability, not the cost. So you get there and it can't tap because it's already tapped, but that's fine.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vaah posted:

The opposite. Everything to the left of the : is cost, everything to the right is effect. So tapping him is not a cost of the ability, but a result.

You can attack with him, then eat to put on counters. During combat (or after). It's already tapped, so the "Tap it." doesn't do anything.

You can respond to his EtB effect with his pump, as well, which will tap him.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

Gotcha. So if it had "(tap symbol); sacrifice a good token etc etc" it'd be a different story.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes, exactly.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cant wait to draft trebuchet.dek.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

incredibly powerful brand / preview synergy

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/kobelianinc/status/1171096254819864576
https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171100174002688003

this is not what I would have expected

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You expected consistency from WotC?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can you only choose because both halves are <4? Or can you Bloodbraid into the Goldilocks card and choose to cast the three bears?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Huxley posted:

Can you only choose because both halves are <4? Or can you Bloodbraid into the Goldilocks card and choose to cast the three bears?

The reason seems to be because.

Seriously. You can't cascade into other split cards with BBE because it sees them as the combination of their costs. These ones are different because.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Magic doesn't make sense

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

suicidesteve posted:

Seriously. You can't cascade into other split cards with BBE because it sees them as the combination of their costs. These ones are different because.

It seems to be because other split cards have full cards with their CMCs on them whereas adventure is nestled within the card frame. This probably has to do with the main card always being a creature whereas split cards in the past have all been instants and sorceries on either half.

Or they just made an exception for this mechanic. :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Murderous Rider is not Swift End anywhere but the stack. Hit & Run is always Hit & Run unless on the stack.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

It’s different because the adventure part is sub the other card. So you don’t combine cmc, it’s only a creature, etc. But you choose which to cast when casting.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The thing to remember is that it's not actually this ruling that's the dumb one, it's the split card ruling that is bad

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They're split cards in how you should evaluate and strategize with them, but in rules terms they are creature cards with an odd alternate mode that uses a different card type. It's not an alternative casting cost like Bestow or Overload, perhaps so a creature without flash can be paired with an Instant, so Cascade can snare it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

suicidesteve posted:

Adventures aren't split cards, the article that revealed the mechanic said they're treated as only a creature card everywhere except the stack.

This does have the odd interaction (like split cards used to work) that you can presumably Bloodbraid Elf into Flaxen Intruder (CMC 1) and cast Welcome Home (CMC 7) instead, while you couldn't cascade into Beanstalk Giant (CMC 7) and cast Fertile Footsteps (CMC 3), but w/e, every Magic mechanic has odd rule interactions.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

drainpipe posted:

Jesus Christ you can just bounce this with 3feri.

You can also whir or goblin engineer for it, and hold priority after wishing for Urza and sacrifice it to thopter foundry or goblin engineer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This seems extremely powerful although very situational

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

Lmao gently caress you knights

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The multiple borders in previews are messing me up, the storybook frame comes in some kind of premium booster and the normal in a regular booster (I think). Where do the borderless art ones come in?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's hilarious knight hate.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

The multiple borders in previews are messing me up, the storybook frame comes in some kind of premium booster and the normal in a regular booster (I think). Where do the borderless art ones come in?

Smh you don't have this memorized.

See, it's simple!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tulul posted:

Adventures aren't split cards, the article that revealed the mechanic said they're treated as only a creature card everywhere except the stack.

This does have the odd interaction (like split cards used to work) that you can presumably Bloodbraid Elf into Flaxen Intruder (CMC 1) and cast Welcome Home (CMC 7) instead, while you couldn't cascade into Beanstalk Giant (CMC 7) and cast Fertile Footsteps (CMC 3), but w/e, every Magic mechanic has odd rule interactions.

this is correct

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171104968155074562

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Smh you don't have this memorized.

See, it's simple!

Goddamn I hate this so loving much. Also :laffo: that you can get the bad planeswalker deck cards in the more expensive packs.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vaah posted:

Lmao gently caress you knights

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I had a feeling there'd be an anti-tribal card to hate out Knights.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I hope this is a meta joke about how they were thinking of making “Witch” a creature type then didn’t

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rkajdi posted:

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

It's no Plague Engineer, that's for sure.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The thing to remember is that it's not actually this ruling that's the dumb one, it's the split card ruling that is bad

Yeah. This one is good imo. The rule change that killed bird brains made no sense to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

vegetables posted:

I hope this is a meta joke about how they were thinking of making “Witch” a creature type then didn’t

Apparently Will/Rowan's mother is an evil witch, according to the person who read the book earlier.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

I have a sneaking suspicion mono black is going to be very very good come Return to Theros. I can only imagine the tears if they don't reprint Gary though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Would have been cooler if this said "... another nonland nontoken permanent..." to let you rummage and make a knight on its way out. Maybe too strong at 4 CMC if that was the case.

I guess you could still do that if you disenchanted this as your last valid permanent, with the ability on the stack.