Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
calling Bill Belichick a Grand Wizard lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Uhh, is there some other context for "Grand Wizard" here? Does he really think it means some Wizard who is just GRAND?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I cant argue against a tweet calling Belichek a grand wizard sorry

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
yeah sorry but that tweet fuckin owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah thinking about it, the odds that muss knows what he's saying there is pretty low, but it's pretty hilarious

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
When will Bostonians start using that for Belichick without irony?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wouldn't really require much of an adjustment for most Boston fans

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DJExile posted:

Yeah thinking about it, the odds that muss knows what he's saying there is pretty low, but it's pretty hilarious

he capitalized "Grand Wizard" he knows exactly what he's saying

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Peanut President posted:

he capitalized "Grand Wizard" he knows exactly what he's saying

Yeah, of all the things an old white dude can get a pass on for not knowing what they mean, this is definitely not one of them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

musberger is 950 years old, lives in vegas so he can do gambling, and is intravenously hooked up to machine producing weird rat pack cocktails

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1171428897109368841

aw man :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That sucks. Fred ruled.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

R.D. Mangles posted:

musberger is 950 years old, lives in vegas so he can do gambling, and is intravenously hooked up to machine producing weird rat pack cocktails

don't forget how he's also permanently horny on main

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

That sucks. Fred ruled.

Yeah he was an awesome call. "Good night [opponent], we'll let ourselves out!" from cavs road game wins is a fabulous sign-off

E: oh man that's awesome vvvvv

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrKccgVKBs

:unsmith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

wfan drama never ends

https://twitter.com/ChrisCarlin/status/1171867121275609088

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"back alley people" is a new one on me

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neat little bit of broadcast history: Vin Scully's original 1949 contract with the Brooklyn Dodgers, a 2 page letter from Vin to Dodgers president Branch Rickey, is up for auction. Vin was only 22 at the time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1172197540118315009

Kevin Harlan forever

E: the lower one

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Only three years ago but I completely forgot that Chip Kelly coached the Niners

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1172617498220474373

nfl primetime is back on espn+

well

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

god Berman is old

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is wonderful and awesome, and it looks like Berman's been celebrating already.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That's the face of Tylenol Du-Du-Du.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

god Berman is old

You're with me, whiskey

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1173663370270117888

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Papi: Vic Fangio 2

(pause)

*Dan, Dominique laughs.*

(long pause)

Mina: Oh, I get it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1174751040048177153

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Not only does PTI suck now but it makes me feel old because it started when I was in college and was awesome to put on while I made some stupid rear end dinner on a foreman grill

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Not only does PTI suck now but it makes me feel old because it started when I was in college and was awesome to put on while I made some stupid rear end dinner on a foreman grill

loving, when I started work, to get through the day I listened to the first hour of Tony's show, then PTI and ATH and that's all there was and you LIKED IT.

Actually TBF I think I listened to a little bit of Lebatard then as well but I didn't get on the hype train early alas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

WGN broadcasted their last Cubs game on Saturday because the Cubs are starting up their own cable network called Marquee Sports Network. The Cubs had some or all of their games on WGN for 72 years. The Cubs nationwide popularity is owed to WGN back when they were a superstation and pretty much anyone could watch them across the country. Marquee is going to broadcast all Cubs games next year, but they haven't even started negotiating with Comcast, not sure if they've negotiated with anyone else. Looks like they want a $4 carriage fee, and I think Comcast is going to balk at that considering they're already losing subscribers. Dish is pretty much a non-starter I think, so Cubs don't have a whole lot of leverage over Comcast.

Personally, as a Cubs fan, I hope the whole thing crashes and burns, even if that means the Cubs take a huge financial hit and end up sucking for a few years because of it. I am not going to sign up for cable just to watch the Cubs.

This gives a pretty good summary of what's going on right now.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/09/21/marquee-sports-network-facing-uphill-climb-as-marketing-push-begins-in-earnest/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That’s a great example of end game streaming. Hyper specific content for yet another cost. At this point no matter what you watch, cord cutting is about to be as expensive as just keeping bullshit cable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bill Wertz nods and smiles in his grave

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

iospace posted:

Bill Wertz nods and smiles in his grave

Ha, I had that same thought a couple days ago too. It's a little different now since cable is so prevalent, hell the Cubs are probably the oddball team that had so many of their games on OTA channels and not strictly on a regional sports network. I would probably still be a little peeved if Cubs moved off of WGN for NBCsportsChicago, but at least then you wouldn't be paying for a specific Cubs channel. I don't think the Cubs are offering up a non-TV streaming option either.

I double checked what Comcast would charge me for a TV/Internet package since I'm internet only right now. It's actually $10 less for me to get the combo package, but then there's like $19 in fees they don't tell you about with TV, so it does end up being more expensive overall. My gut is the Comcast eventually just negotiates the Marguee network onto their higher tier plan with the other niche sports channels.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

to think i used to watch it religiously because it was so different from what was on tv

it's sad now since wilbon is a bitter old man and tony is the absolute definition of stuck in his ways

not to mention on tony's show he gives a platform some of the internet's favorite punching bags

also i swear the cubs channel might be the last linear cable channel to ever launch on tv, if you want a peek at how this can go wrong, look at how the dodgers channel is doing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are the cubs doing that is stupid as gently caress.

Do they at least have a streaming option.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

That’s a great example of end game streaming. Hyper specific content for yet another cost. At this point no matter what you watch, cord cutting is about to be as expensive as just keeping bullshit cable.

Can't wait for Disney or Amazon to buy all the other streaming platforms and charge $200 a month for access to all of them

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper. Sling is probably the only one that makes any sense since they have some $15 packages, but last time I used that the service sucked.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you're already paying for Hulu upgrading it to include live was a little bit cheaper for me but probs depends on TV/internet costs in your area. The interface kinda sucks compared to YouTube but it has pretty much all the sports channels at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper. Sling is probably the only one that makes any sense since they have some $15 packages, but last time I used that the service sucked.

It probably depends where you are, in my area I can do Vue + Criterion Channel + $15 wild card spot for the same price as my cheapest option that gives me the important live options PSVue does, and that's before equipment fees and the cancellation fee if I want to let it lapse for a couple months between basketball season ending and football starting. The splintering is annoying for sure, only going to get worse, and probably going to eventually coalesce into something worse than cable, but at the moment there are still advantages depending on your viewing habits and the shittiness of your local telecom monopoly