Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

you only listen to the mountain goats

edit: post pics of your copy of CCTTST, i always like seeing them

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Real good Anal oval office song title right here.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Paul ReiserFS posted:

edit: post pics of your copy of CCTTST, i always like seeing them

oh i can keep going..

i can post pics of it, mine is actually pretty plain and uninteresting but you take what you get i guess

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm realizing that midsize indie artists seem to be the ones to make sure you get on release. zero 7, mountain goats, au revoir simone, etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love War All The Time so that’s a shame it costs a good chunk of change.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love War All The Time so that’s a shame it costs a good chunk of change.

There are dozen(s) of other cheaper pressings

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah well that makes me happier at least. It’s on the “list of records I should own”, even though I’m a dork and sold my ticket to see them play that record live locally.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

As far as I know, WATT has only been pressed twice, once as a single LP on original release, then a 2LP version in 2012 that was Hot Topic exclusive.

I spent way too long trying to find a reasonably priced copy before paying too much for there to have been "dozens" of pressings. Maybe you're thinking of Full Collapse, Paul ReiserFS?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://twitter.com/realbadposts/status/1169021520770994176?s=20

A triple LP, a single, a cd, and two posters. 15$. They can take as long as they want on Dear Tommy at this rate

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Looks like I should have been stockpiling lovely indie rock albums ten years ago when they were collecting dust in Newbury Comics.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

esperantinc posted:

As far as I know, WATT has only been pressed twice, once as a single LP on original release, then a 2LP version in 2012 that was Hot Topic exclusive.

I spent way too long trying to find a reasonably priced copy before paying too much for there to have been "dozens" of pressings. Maybe you're thinking of Full Collapse, Paul ReiserFS?

Ah yeah I must have been thinking of something else, my bad.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Paul ReiserFS posted:

late to the party but I finally 1) downsized my piles of bullshit and 2) cataloged keepers so here's my overpriced records list:

Thursday, Bon Iver, & Finch are destined for the Discogs Market after seeing those prices :blastu:

I've got both the Finch and Bon Iver, but I'm the type of guy that hoards my records and can't bring myself to sell any.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Got crazy tipped in an industry that doesn't do tipping and grabbed some goodies:

I don't know a single loving thing about Dub, but that Lifetones record is another post-This Heat project that didn't go anywhere but loving rules.

...Christ, I hate the artwork for the Twin Peaks season 2 set

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
oh i thought that was the Tony Pro Skater 2 OST

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

*shamefully heads to discogs and types in "tony hawk pro skater"*

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

The amount of money I’d spend on this is absurd.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
welp bought a fluance rt84. should be a lil upgrade over my at60?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Walrus posted:

Hey, it still has some uses.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Paul ReiserFS posted:

*shamefully heads to discogs and types in "tony hawk pro skater"*

There's no shame in this, the soundtracks to (at least) the first two were fantastic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bigman.50grand posted:

Here's a couple shots of the cabinet.

We recently moved from NY to LA and it survived, so it's definitely solid. There's probably around 80 records each in 3 of the slots right now which leaves plenty of space to grow. The thing's a beast and I have no doubt it would hold 500ish records. I'm actually more concerned with the weight it concentrates in one spot on the floor.

You should definitely give it a shot, though. I think all in I spent about $80 (that includes the wood, veneer trim, kreg jig, Robertson bits, screws, and a few rattle cans of paint). It's an affordable/not super-difficult "weekend" project.
Thanks! Yeah, that looks sturdy as anything. Massive, in fact. I think I had a completely wrong mental image of what plywood is.

Now to see if I can make room for it. This might be the tricky part.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

https://twitter.com/realbadposts/status/1169021520770994176?s=20

A triple LP, a single, a cd, and two posters. 15$. They can take as long as they want on Dear Tommy at this rate
These are great posters, too. I've been meaning to order more from them but they're touring soon and I might as well pick up some stuff from the merch stand. Shipping as good as doubled the price last time I ordered. Maybe Johnny just stands at the exit with a big pile of stuff and a shovel telling you to open your bag before you leave.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

aw heck and the day after the rt85 comes back in stock. the only difference between the two is an acryllic platter, does that really do poo poo or is it audiophile nonsense?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mike_V posted:

Hell ya, I think you recommended 1905 to me like 13 years ago or something silly

:hehe::hf::hehe:

That album is actually good, too, not just some relic from our long lost youth.

caligulamprey posted:

Got crazy tipped in an industry that doesn't do tipping and grabbed some goodies:

I don't know a single loving thing about Dub, but that Lifetones record is another post-This Heat project that didn't go anywhere but loving rules.

...Christ, I hate the artwork for the Twin Peaks season 2 set

Maaan, This Heat seems criminally underrated. Like, I've never read anything but good things, but they somehow aren't as well known as they should be, and anything they were involved in after is outright obscure. I didn't even know "This is Not This Heat" was a thing until I saw you mentioned it. I saw them a month or two ago, and it was so good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I couldn’t explain it myself, but I think it has to do with how willingly Charles Hayward is picking up and dropping projects without any sort of (for lack of a better term) emotional attachment to anything he does. He’s a loving drum monster who to this day is pretty much playing drums for any number of projects on a weekly basis, god bless him.

I’m happy to hear you were able to catch that show! With the political climate what it is, it was weirdly one of the more emotionally cathartic shows I’ve seen in a long time. Those dudes went hard.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My uncle died recently and my parents have asked for my help in sorting through his vinyl.
He was quite a big hard rock/heavy metal fan - two genres I've got limited knowledge of - and there's plenty in there that I've never heard of, plus quite a few bootlegs, official unofficial stuff and the occasional picture disc.

I've looked through about 75 of them so far; given my inexpert knowledge, is there a better way of working out what's worth keeping than cross-checking with allmusic (is the record any good), discogs (is it in print) and popsike (is it worth :tenbux: )?
I reckon there's another 2-300 still to go through and it's a tedious process.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kingturnip posted:

My uncle died recently and my parents have asked for my help in sorting through his vinyl.
He was quite a big hard rock/heavy metal fan - two genres I've got limited knowledge of - and there's plenty in there that I've never heard of, plus quite a few bootlegs, official unofficial stuff and the occasional picture disc.

I've looked through about 75 of them so far; given my inexpert knowledge, is there a better way of working out what's worth keeping than cross-checking with allmusic (is the record any good), discogs (is it in print) and popsike (is it worth :tenbux: )?
I usually go with Discogs for pricing as well. If you make an account it will let you check previously sold prices.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

kingturnip posted:

I don't know if you really need to cross-check between those three. You'd probably be fine simply referencing discogs to find the version of the record you own and what it has sold for recently.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I don't know if you really need to cross-check between those three. You'd probably be fine simply referencing discogs to find the version of the record you own and what it has sold for recently.

Part of it is that I'm sure there's stuff in there that I'd like, but too much of the stuff is music I've not heard of.
Allmusic is an opinion, and the 30-second snippets they have for lots of albums can be helpful.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

kingturnip posted:

Part of it is that I'm sure there's stuff in there that I'd like, but too much of the stuff is music I've not heard of.
Allmusic is an opinion, and the 30-second snippets they have for lots of albums can be helpful.

Well throw that poo poo on the turntable and give it a listen

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'd separate the LPs that have barcodes into their own pile and then use the Discogs phone app to sort through them right quick.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

caligulamprey posted:

I'd separate the LPs that have barcodes into their own pile and then use the Discogs phone app to sort through them right quick.

Oh gently caress that’s a thing? God damnit

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh hell yes. The Discord app got a barcode scanner that’ll go directly to the specific press you have and everything. Minus pre-bar code records. Or current ones that’ll slap them on the shrink wrap, naturally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Help.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My favorite thing is that the band image is perforated so you can remove it in case it distracts you from all those wonderful barcodes.

Also: deeply underrated album. The only reason it's not equal to Q?A! is that Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA is a pale imitation of Gut Feelin' (Slap Yer Mammy).

Man, if they play S.I.B. at Desert Daze I'm going to lose my loving mind.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh it's my favorite Devo album for sure. Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA is really great live, at least when I saw them a few times on the Something for Everybody tour.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite because thier first five albums are all gold. But if I had to say one it'd probably be New Traditionalists, although I've been listening to Oh No! a lot lately and I'm quite fond of that one. New Traditionalists really speaks to me because of its negative world view and Beautiful World being one of my favorite songs ever. Really, I'd rather not pick a favorite. The recently released live albums from the 70s/early 80s are also very good and some of those tracks might even be better than their studio counterparts.

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite thing is that the band image is perforated so you can remove it in case it distracts you from all those wonderful barcodes.

Also: deeply underrated album. The only reason it's not equal to Q?A! is that Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA is a pale imitation of Gut Feelin' (Slap Yer Mammy).

Man, if they play S.I.B. at Desert Daze I'm going to lose my loving mind.

The reissue doesn't have the cut out, which I think is unfortunate, but I'd never rip it off of there anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Of the first five, I'd rank them

Duty Now
New Traditionalists
Q: Are We Not Men?
Freedom of Choice
Oh, No!

Though the margin between 1-4 is pretty slim.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm all about the first two guitar-driven albums and it goes

Q?A!
Duty Now
Oh No!
New Traditionalists
Freedom of Choice

And even though it's bottom-tier (I'd probably slot in Something for Everybody slightly above it), Freedom of Choice got Gates of Steel on it, so it's hard to talk poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My top 5 is basically just the release order. I lump Q/A together with Duty Now almost as equals though. They've both superb.

caligulamprey posted:

And even though it's bottom-tier (I'd probably slot in Something for Everybody slightly above it), Freedom of Choice got Gates of Steel on it, so it's hard to talk poo poo.
I really like Mr. B's Ballroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The deluxe edition of Black Velvet is pretty cheap right now. I could do without the velvet box but the rest of the package is pretty rad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVXL5CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1