Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hate-O-Tron posted:

Couldn't you just lead him to a dead magic area and cut his throat, or does he have special bullshit to get around that cause he ate Mystra's rear end that one time?

Elminster, Tosser of Mystra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He has a special rule where if he dies or is incapacitated in any way, he gets teleported into his private pocket dimension immediately. So the meat of the thread is people working out ways to get around that and the increasingly flustered OP being like, "nuh uh, Elminster would just run away before you could even get to him".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Step #1 is reminding the DM that they hate Elminster as much as you do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rate ih sate

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hate-O-Tron posted:

Couldn't you just lead him to a dead magic area and cut his throat, or does he have special bullshit to get around that cause he ate Mystra's rear end that one time?

He has special silver godfire that even works on anti magic zones.

Other than that he’s actually kind of a lovely wizard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Other than that he’s actually kind of a lovely wizard.

That's what's really great thing about the challenge: big E is both a lame character with lovely cannot lose powers, but still very poorly designed from a game standpoint. He's not some untouchable super-threat, he's a very defeatable encounter with additional complications.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The only thing lamer than latching onto your mary sue is latching onto someone else's.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: #1179: Indefinite Accommodations

Looks like the predictions that the meeting would stay suspended indefinitely were right on the money.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Beaver and woodpecker treeslaying cavalry. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I bet the Southern and Western pantheons are really irritated.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

my dad posted:

Beaver and woodpecker treeslaying cavalry. :allears:
Nice WFRP trollslayer/giantslayer reference, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I like how they didn't bother giving the high priest of Hoder a blindfold. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Who is the vampire in the back?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

my dad posted:

The High Priest of Hel.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

my dad posted:

Presumably the current Hight Priest/Frontarch of the Church of Hel.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

my dad posted:

wasn't there a vampire who was abruptly declared High Priestess of Hel?

edit: I guess so.

edit edit: holy poo poo, that was three years ago?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 9, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Surely there's a better way of creating a makeshift shower besides hanging the sea god high priest upside down :magical:

Also, don't clerics have their own all-purpose cantrip like Prestidigitation that could be used for that

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Parahexavoctal posted:

edit edit: holy poo poo, that was three years ago?

Three years and nine months ago, that strip is from January 2016.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

blizzardvizard posted:

Surely there's a better way of creating a makeshift shower besides hanging the sea god high priest upside down :magical:

Maybe, but it wouldn't make a very good visual gag

blizzardvizard posted:

Also, don't clerics have their own all-purpose cantrip like Prestidigitation that could be used for that

Nope. Gods don't do cheap party tricks.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, how long can that High Priest of Hel vampire go without eating before the bloodlust kicks in and she attacks a cleric in their sleep?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, how long can that High Priest of Hel vampire go without eating before the bloodlust kicks in and she attacks a cleric in their sleep?

Monster summoning I. Problem solved

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't think there's actually a mechanic for that in 3.5, they just eat people cause they're jerks.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hel's High Cleric is standing in the shadows.

That can't be good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I don't think there's actually a mechanic for that in 3.5, they just eat people cause they're jerks.

There is a guide to undead hungers in Liber Mortis but I don't really care to check what it is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Donkringel posted:

Hel's High Cleric is standing in the shadows.

That can't be good.

No, vampires are "always evil"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

fool_of_sound posted:

There is a guide to undead hungers in Liber Mortis but I don't really care to check what it is.

Looking over that section, it basically breaks down into three categories: no requirement to feed, inescapable cravings, and diet dependent.

First one doesn't actually need to eat nor feel any compulsion to, and is sustained purely by negative energy.

Second one doesn't actually need what they crave to function, but it can eventually drive them into mindless hunger if they go too long without indulging it, but once they've sated the craving, it drops back to a tolerable level.

Third one actually requires the undead to feed on something in order to maintain its mobility and/or some of its powers, but starving it of whatever it feeds on won't do anything to permanently disable or destroy it. It'll regain full mobility and use of its suppressed abilities as soon as they get a fresh infusion of whatever they feed on. They can typically go about 3d6 months before they lose all mobility from being starved.

Vampires and vampire spawn are listed as having an inescapable craving for life force and are diet dependent on blood.

There's also a sidebar with rules for dealing with the effects of inescapable cravings and being diet dependent for undead PCs.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Some of the Evil high clerics could do the same scheme the OotS used to keep Nokrud fed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

nimby posted:

Some of the Evil high clerics could do the same scheme the OotS used to keep Nokrud fed.

High level d&d is all about what rules no longer apply to you

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ed Greenwood is the Will Ferrel character from that SNL skit where Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch are weird hippy swingers in a hot tub hitting on strangers, talking about his "Lovahs".

He's written extensively about Sex and the Forgotten Realms in the early days of the internet, but most of it seems to have been lost. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is a very long description about how Lady Alustriel using space-bending magic to redistribute her pregnancy weight into another dimension so that she doesn't get fat, and I only remember that because is sparked a "Womb of Holding" meme.

Saying all that triggered a suppressed memory about how one of the writers of the Legion of Superhero (I think it was Paul Levitz) did a detail breakdown on some long gone site of the Legionnaires sexual kinks and which ones had the biggest dick.
(On a technical scale it was Colossal Boy. If proportionality was taken into account, it was Starboy.)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Heroes’ Feast spell : did it specify if it can/can't nourish a vampire?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I imagine there would've been people unbound by the godsmoot taking care of the facility and supplying food and refreshments, but Nokrud went and made all of them into vampires.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gun Jam posted:

Heroes’ Feast spell : did it specify if it can/can't nourish a vampire?

The spell description does not specify that it nourishes anyone, only that the targets spend an hour eating “ambrosial” food and gain statistical benefits as a result. Compare this to Goodberry, which explicitly states a berry provides nourishment equivalent to a “normal” meal.

In other words, DM discretion.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The Question IRL posted:

Saying all that triggered a suppressed memory about how one of the writers of the Legion of Superhero (I think it was Paul Levitz) did a detail breakdown on some long gone site of the Legionnaires sexual kinks and which ones had the biggest dick.
(On a technical scale it was Colossal Boy. If proportionality was taken into account, it was Starboy.)

That sounds like more of a Bierbaum/Bierbaum thing.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Brave people there, playing cards with the high priest of Loki.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Durkon had told the others about how they would need to convince redcloak to help them. I mean, maybe he did or maybe he wanted to wait until the immediate danger had passed. Either way it would be interesting to see how they react to even how they go about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think that'll get its own scene.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

It definitely was not Paul Levitz if only because he was the publisher of DC comics at the time and would have the good sense not to write that.

It was, in fact, Jim Shooter who wrote that several years before he became EiC of Marvel Comics. Shooter broke into comics by writing the Legion when he was fourteen so you can see how something that stupid could occur.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It definitely was not Paul Levitz if only because he was the publisher of DC comics at the time and would have the good sense not to write that.

It was, in fact, Jim Shooter who wrote that several years before he became EiC of Marvel Comics. Shooter broke into comics by writing the Legion when he was fourteen so you can see how something that stupid could occur.

Here they are, for the record: http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=592121&page=1

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ah that was them. I guess that answers that question.

Also D4 Chan had a piece about Ed Greenwood's work on Forgotten Realms. Including how he had it in his contract that if they tried retconning his stuff, he'd regain control of it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There's a new one.

I wonder how plot centric she's gonna be.