Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh and emotional thing? Yeah get the gently caress off the road, you want adrenaline get some in a manor that doesn't endanger others.

Being able to quickly get to the right spot to make a lane change is both more safe and also emotionally satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Are there alternatives to powerwall that aren't vaporware or DIY?

https://sonnenusa.com/en/sonnenbatterie/

Sunpower uses them as part of their system, so any sunpower dealer in your area can probably get one

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

stirlo posted:

Jalopnik cut a Taycan in half!

Sort of Lots of good detail here. Someone lend us about 220,000 at 0% interest thanks?

Oh hey a Japolik article worth reading.... like RAELLY worth reading. Thanks for the link :)

Wow there's interesting ideas in there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ulf posted:

I don’t think so, but I feel the same about storage that I feel about solar: I’d rather my utility did it because they can do it way more cheaply and efficiently.

Doing it closer to generation is a lot more efficient, no? The fewer metres of wire between the PV panels and my car's battery the better, I figure. They can probably get a better price on capacity, to be sure.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey a Japolik article worth reading.... like RAELLY worth reading. Thanks for the link :)

No Jalopnik article is worth reading.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

No Jalopnik article is worth reading.

Ususally I'm the first to agree. But that article is genuinely good poo poo to dig through so call it a unicorn, have a read and like me then go back to rightly hanging poo poo on Jalopnik.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

ilkhan posted:

No, Jalopnik article is worth reading.

Or you can just flick through all the fairly cool graphics in it!

This one is definitely worth clicking, long and detailed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ulf posted:

I don’t think so, but I feel the same about storage that I feel about solar: I’d rather my utility did it because they can do it way more cheaply and efficiently. That said I do have rooftop solar because my utility is run by climate change denialists and don’t offer a means for funding renewables (it’s an REA co-op for those that know what that means).

This is kind of a tangent now so we should take it to the energy megathread, shitshow that it is.

Sure, if the power company stopped having decades old underground power cables fail.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

David Tracy writes very good stuff.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

This map is for 2014, but it shows what subsidy should be given to EVs in relation to their total pollution cost to the local area:

That reminds me of the map which showed how many miles per gallon you'd have to get for a gas car to be the less polluting option. I don't remember when it was actually made, but I do remember it being a bit more pro-EV than that map, at least when one considers what the average American actually drives.

And in other news, Tesla filed a patent for a new wiper which uses a linear motor to move the length of the windshield:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US251287101&tab=NATIONALBIBLIO&_cid=P20-K086T1-57866-1

Given the high price tags on those kinds of motors, that would probably be limited to the new Roadster. At least it's more feasible than that cold gas thruster Elon Musk was bragging about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

That reminds me of the map which showed how many miles per gallon you'd have to get for a gas car to be the less polluting option. I don't remember when it was actually made, but I do remember it being a bit more pro-EV than that map, at least when one considers what the average American actually drives.

You're probably thinking about this map:

(from here: https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Being able to quickly get to the right spot to make a lane change is both more safe and also emotionally satisfying.

Sure, but as your car becomes more and more powerful the situations where that extra acceleration is important becomes less and less. No one needs Tesla acceleration. Any safety gained is probably (I don't have statistics this is just my guess) negated by people who know they have tons of acceleration being more aggressive when they drive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wish more people would agree with you about all these people recklessly accelerating in their overpowered Teslas, it's insanity! Personally I have only driven, three-cylinder Geo Metros, for fear I might heedlessly use anything more than the bare minimum of horspeowers to reach the posted speed limit, and accelerate at a reckless clip. In fact, I believe the government should issue all of us vehicles, tailored to our personal needs, with no more than 100 horsepowers, and electronic speed limiting at 60mph, that would show all the hooligans in this forum, with their fast accelerations and environmentally irresponsible "tire burns".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Sure, but as your car becomes more and more powerful the situations where that extra acceleration is important becomes less and less. No one needs Tesla acceleration. Any safety gained is probably (I don't have statistics this is just my guess) negated by people who know they have tons of acceleration being more aggressive when they drive.

The rapid acceleration isn't a deliberate design goal, it's an inherent property of the drive train. Electric motors have full torque at 0 RPM, while IC engines are efficient in a fairly narrow band. That's why IC cars have multi-speed transmissions, while ECs generally don't.

I guess Tesla and others could have added current limiters to reduce the acceleration, but that's just more parts to break without any tangible benefit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

. No one needs Tesla acceleration.

You sound like an angry boomer whining about dem bad LIEberals, their climate change and vaccines

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I wish more people would agree with you about all these people recklessly accelerating in their overpowered Teslas, it's insanity! Personally I have only driven, three-cylinder Geo Metros, for fear I might heedlessly use anything more than the bare minimum of horspeowers to reach the posted speed limit, and accelerate at a reckless clip. In fact, I believe the government should issue all of us vehicles, tailored to our personal needs, with no more than 100 horsepowers, and electronic speed limiting at 60mph, that would show all the hooligans in this forum, with their fast accelerations and environmentally irresponsible "tire burns".

Yeah and when the government funded public transportation network is fully built out they should take away the geo metros, too.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Deteriorata posted:

I guess Tesla and others could have added current limiters to reduce the acceleration, but that's just more parts to break without any tangible benefit.

I feel like I remember the BMW i3 did this for awhile and might still. Some car YouTuber was saying it had some delay to simulate a gasoline engine.

I do remember reading an article that evs get into slightly more collisions (like <5% more) but I cannot seem to find it again so I have no idea if it was credible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Westy543 posted:

I feel like I remember the BMW i3 did this for awhile and might still. Some car YouTuber was saying it had some delay to simulate a gasoline engine.

I do remember reading an article that evs get into slightly more collisions (like <5% more) but I cannot seem to find it again so I have no idea if it was credible.

IIRC, Tesla has a "chill mode" or something that limits the acceleration. It's not like the gas pedal is a huge pot, the motors are electronically controlled so they can easily map full throttle to like 10%.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The rapid acceleration isn't a deliberate design goal,

Yeah it totally is, they could have easily used less powerful motors, like a Leaf or Kona EV. But come on that poo poo sells cars, and "Model S is faster than a Ferrari" buzz gave the car a huge boost over what would have otherwise been a bland car with a big screen.

(I don't fault them for it at all, it was a great plan and hell yeah silent face ripping acceleration)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Compared to an ICE car there is much less little incremental cost to delivering a higher-output electric motor.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

They ramp it up gradually it to limit wear on the drivetrain and also to limit the maximum current, IIRC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Compared to an ICE car there is much less little incremental cost to delivering a higher-output electric motor.

Yeah, but the motor is only part of it. The battery needs to be able to spew out enough electrons, one cell can only supply so much so that's where the cost is. An ICE can draw thousands of hp from fuel pouring out of a plastic bucket.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, if you don't want a multi-ratio transmission, you kinda get impressive acceleration as part of the design due to the motor requirements.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

They ramp it up gradually it to limit wear on the drivetrain and also to limit the maximum current, IIRC.

Yeah, but the motor is only part of it. The battery needs to be able to spew out enough electrons, one cell can only supply so much so that's where the cost is. An ICE can draw thousands of hp from fuel pouring out of a plastic bucket.

a clean sheet ICE motor is... absurdly expensive to design

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
VW is revealing the production ID3 in about six minutes. But it’s not homologated for the US.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

A shame! My S/O wanted something in the form factor of an e-golf with more range. We're going to get a Kona instead early next year, she doesn't super care for the Crozz (nor does she want to wait another year). Aren't the early Crozzes going to be made at the same factory for awhile until Chattanooga is up and running?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drgitlin posted:

VW is revealing the production ID3 in about six minutes. But it’s not homologated for the US.

Is this streaming / being shown anywhere?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this streaming / being shown anywhere?

I imagine some of the US sites might have something up already if they weren’t here, since VW only made the photos available to us nine minutes ago and that’s a lot easier to post if you’re not in a crowd of 500 people. I’ll post something at Ars once I’m back at the hotel later this evening.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Some photos here: https://insideevs.com/news/369758/vw-id3-electric-car-debuts-range-342-miles/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Why is this? Do they just feel the market isn't ready?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

Requirements for the EU are different enough from the US that it's a lot cheaper to only launch a car in one place, especially if that one place is where your company's based.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Well that's about average level ugly for a VW.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RZA Encryption posted:

Basically everywhere in the world except for the US and Canada use the UN World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations standards (sometimes referred to as WP.29 or UNECE standards) for vehicle safety. The US instead has the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Canada has the very similar Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

CMVSS is largely based on FMVSS and vehicles can usually be compatible with both with nothing more than software tweaks and different speedometer/odometers (which may also just be software these days). It also allows for the UN standards to be substituted in many cases, which is part of why Canada can get some new cars the US doesn't.

It is not technically possible to produce a single vehicle that is compliant with both UN and FMVSS standards. A vehicle produced for the entire world market has at minimum three physical variants; US LHD, RoW LHD, and RHD. I guess technically the upcoming McLaren with the center driving position should only need two variants, if they even bother to homologate it for the US rather than just leaning on Show and Display.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I’ll have a proper answer tomorrow because I’ve got a meeting with the heads of VW and VW North America, but I am prepared to bet the answer will be “Americans won’t buy expensive hatchbacks” or something.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

I would think the US EV market is surprisingly small, from the perspective of an outsider especially.

Sure, we're third in the world after China and Europe, but what EV owners we do have are pretty sold on a particular auto maker:

wolrah posted:

It is not technically possible to produce a single vehicle that is compliant with both UN and FMVSS standards.
I'm always fascinated by these kind of regulatory incompatibilities, do you have an example of where they conflict? This reminds me of eggwashing.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 9, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that interior is very GM

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
RWD, interesting

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Converting the WLTP ID3 range to EPA still gets you ~290 miles for the long range on 77 kWh for an efficiency of ~270 wh/mile, not bad at all, compared to the model 3 and bolt's ~250 wh/mile.

I think it looks pretty good in teal. They still tried to ~future~ it up but not in the EXTREME way the i3 did.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Would.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Tell me those aren't loving capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel.

edit looks like they are. I feel that this is a terrible decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that interior is very GM
Yeah pretty weird, nothing like normal VW, maybe they tried to make it out of recycled sewer pipes like the i3 or something. And now there are 2 ipad sticking out of the dashboard. Is the center one supposed to rotate?

For this thing €30k isn't bad, the base Model 3 is like 50 but probably corresponding to the mid-range model, too bad they're not saying how much it'll be. Either way, hopefully they're like 10k used a few years down the road.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 9, 2019