Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeesh, tough call. Logically, yes, you should stop doing art that glorifies bad animal breeding. But that same logic would say we should all be vegan and stop keeping pets and and and. No-one's perfect, and you'll break yourself if you try to be. Just gotta follow your conscience and figure out if it's something you want to carry on doing. Maybe pet island would have some more expert advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sharpest Crayon posted:

My friend told me there's a movement to not show short-snout dogs because of the health problems, and as it happens, the universe decided to prove her point as I read an article about dogs that had the addendum that the picture of the dog in the article was changed from a pug to another dog because the Finnish Vet Union recommends not showing pics of short-snout dogs.

I am heartbroken. I've always had this same love-hate relationship with pugs, where I love their chonky bodies and goofy faces but recognize that they should not exist as they are. The same with any fat animals, too! They are adorable! But in real life, fat pets are unhappy and unhealthy. So I enjoy drawn pics of both, because that's not hurting anyone. Right?
I'm not so sure anymore. I'd appreciate your thoughts, because I painted The Cutest Pug and now I'm second-guessing if that should exist, either.

Don't non hosed up pug breeds now exist?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If it's not hosed up, is it really a pug?

Weird question time: I've noticed on my Deviant Art (I know I know) that my page views spike like crazy every few days - from 5-10 most days to a few hundred on 'spike' days. It's been going on for at least half a year, and the spikes don't really seem to be getting bigger or smaller. It doesn't really seem linked to days I post stuff.

I'm assuming bots are the answer, but I have no idea how or why - any thoughts?

lofi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 9, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
What’s the best way to host your art these days that isn’t a full website? It used to be DevianArt back in the day but that site has something of a... reputation nowadays and it would be kind of embarrassing to say I have a profile there.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

What’s the best way to host your art these days that isn’t a full website? It used to be DevianArt back in the day but that site has something of a... reputation nowadays and it would be kind of embarrassing to say I have a profile there.

Anyone in this thread who claims to not have a deviantArt account is lying.

Are you looking for a site to use as a portfolio, that you can send people to in an effort to get work? Or just where the most people are so you get the most views on your work? If the first, you should probably consider a elicited portfolio site like Behance. Instagram and all that are good for views, but not so great for prospective clients to browse through as a portfolio.

Instagram and twitter are the most popular right now, I think. I had good luck on Tumblr but I'm not sure how well that site is going since they announced their "no sexy stuff" policy a year ago. Also there's nothing wrong with having a DeviantArt account - I think the best strategy right now is to post all your artwork on all the major platforms, and just make sure that your bio and the links in it all point people to the main website you would want them to visit the most. You don't have to hand out your deviantart account to clients, and the site has a very large and active user base.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ArtStation is probably the best bet if you want somewhere respectable. DeviantArt is still fine if you just want a gallery without otherwise engaging with it. Otherwise Tumblr still works, other than crashing itself into the ground and never recovering.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks! That was super helpful.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

Don't non hosed up pug breeds now exist?

One does not simply un-gently caress a pug.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sharpest Crayon posted:

One does not simply un-gently caress a pug.

I'm serious, I think some people were pleading with dog shows to allow the non-hosed pug breed to compete, and not use a life of suffering as the benchmark for what constitutes a good example.

Speaking of what you guys are talking about, I do a mix of design poo poo, and have a homepage http://rodtronics.design which currently points to my tumblr, which I've tried to make homepage like. I was using squarespace but $30/mo is too much for this stage in my career anyway.

Have you guys got any great suggestions as to what would make a good homepage? I sell things thru etsy, so it only needs to be able to link to my shop rather than sell from itself. I use insta and twitter (and facebook kinda) but as support.

Tumblr seems mostly fine except I can't find a theme I really love, and I guess it'll keep going for years before it really dies.

Maybe I need to spend more time exploring the paid themes

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

My friend told me there's a movement to not show short-snout dogs because of the health problems, and as it happens, the universe decided to prove her point as I read an article about dogs that had the addendum that the picture of the dog in the article was changed from a pug to another dog because the Finnish Vet Union recommends not showing pics of short-snout dogs.

I am heartbroken. I've always had this same love-hate relationship with pugs, where I love their chonky bodies and goofy faces but recognize that they should not exist as they are. The same with any fat animals, too! They are adorable! But in real life, fat pets are unhappy and unhealthy. So I enjoy drawn pics of both, because that's not hurting anyone. Right?
I'm not so sure anymore. I'd appreciate your thoughts, because I painted The Cutest Pug and now I'm second-guessing if that should exist, either.
hm. I dunno, I love turtles and draw them, but I also realize that the vast majority of people who get turtles shouldn't actually be getting them (and usually end up getting rid of them because they realize they can't take care of an animal that could live as long as themselves and just keeps growing bigger). Ultimately it's up to you, but I think it's up to others to be responsible about what kind of pet they get...

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

I'm serious, I think some people were pleading with dog shows to allow the non-hosed pug breed to compete, and not use a life of suffering as the benchmark for what constitutes a good example.

I mean, yeah, this is true. It's just that there's SO MUCH wrong with pugs. It's not just the breathing problems, almost all parts of their anatomy give them a myriad of problems - the bulgy eyes, the tightly curled tail, the wide chest, the round and short head all contribute to make an absolute shitshow of a breed.

...mmmmaybe I can draw pugs if I draw them healthy! Yes! First to comment that there's something wrong with my jack russell will get their head kicked in.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I need to clean out my tackle box. God drat.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Looks good to me, if you can close it it's fine.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yeah, bet you don't even have to arrange stuff to make it close. I need to get something like that. I have one box that everything goes in.

The box does not close properly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had no problem closing it, but there was a bunch of crap in it that I only ever had like pastel sticks and charcoal because it was required for a drawing class. It was all busted up anyway and I don't like those kinds of materials, so I threw it all out. Kept the conté crayons and graphite sticks, but I don't like charcoal and pastel.

Besides that, I took out everything, threw out the dried out Sakura pigma microns, put some painting stuff into another container, and scrubbed the loving poo poo out of it. I needed rubbing alcohol to get rid of some old thick ink spills that glued down something from once upon a time and some other nastiness. Cleaning it out freed up some space for me to put in some new gear that I've gotten.

I've had this fucker for fourteen years and it's the best tackle box that I have ever owned. It's a Plano model 3300 and it is not made anymore. I had to look inside to find the model number. I know it never had any kind of branding on the exterior. I got it as part of my design kit when I was at Westwood College for game art design in 2005 and it's just an amazing box (I got out of that school as fast as I could in 2006 and went to a real art program right after). I've wanted another one just like it for a long time and never knew who made it until I finally just made an effort to find out. There are some used ones on eBay that are beige and green and have the Plano branding on them and I'm almost crazy enough to spend the $40 to get one.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I'm learning Blender as a 3DSMax refugee and this project has been fun to learn things. next I'll be working on animating and constraints.
(I haven't been able to work on my puppet so I need SOMETHING to pass the time between commissions)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

cool, looks like a '97-2000 era monster model

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm learning Blender as a 3DSMax refugee and this project has been fun to learn things. next I'll be working on animating and constraints.
(I haven't been able to work on my puppet so I need SOMETHING to pass the time between commissions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?musashidanmcgrath?videos

dan mcgrath's videos have been immensely helpful

(my only problem is that his voice makes me sleepy)

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
So I'm new to 3d modeling and have been dicking around with different programs to see what works for me. So far Blender is my favorite, except one thing has been killing me trying to figure out, and for some reason even google isn't helping. How the hell can I dock the file browser and have it show thumbnails for like .fbx or something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone know how mixable latex wall paint is for the end user? It’s essentially like acrylic art paint yeah?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spoke Lee posted:

So I'm new to 3d modeling and have been dicking around with different programs to see what works for me. So far Blender is my favorite, except one thing has been killing me trying to figure out, and for some reason even google isn't helping. How the hell can I dock the file browser and have it show thumbnails for like .fbx or something?

I'm not sure about docking it, although there is a plugin that can give floating windows to blender.. but thumbnails are achieved by clicking the small box up the top which has four squares in it. not sure tho if it will generate thumbnails for fbx though

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone know how mixable latex wall paint is for the end user? It’s essentially like acrylic art paint yeah?

Unless someone in here comes in to give you an answer, ask your local hardware store paint department. Wall paints are a completely different beast from art paints, and they do not mix the same. Depending on what you're mixing with what, the paints might keep separated despite looking mixed, resulting in an uneven coating with a varying saturation depending on how hard you happen to be pressing on the wall when painting. Had that happen with a completely normal room repaint.
My only experience with latex paints is stripping it off walls - comes out real nice and easy in big elastic bits. If you're planning a mural for an inside space, it's worth it to consider doing a base layer in a normal renovation paint, painting the mural on top of that with acrylics or oils, and adding a protective layer of some kind - like a laquer? I'm pretty sure there's some sorta art product specifically for this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Go ham and paint in fresco.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Man, creative anxiety sucks. It's just your mind telling you over and over again that your work is garbage and there's no point in trying. And in my case, I'm new at writing, so I logically know my work is going to be garbage. That's why I need to show it to people, so I can get better! But part of me just refuses to show people garbage for pride and fear of judgement and all that junk.

It even gets in the way of the writing process itself. I can't write more than 300 words without thinking "oh god, what am I doing?", even though I know I need to just suck it up and write whatever. The fact that I managed to write a 10k word story like that is nothing short of a small miracle. How do you guys all deal with this kind of fear? Or am I just super weak-minded.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Perpetual Motion posted:

Man, creative anxiety sucks. It's just your mind telling you over and over again that your work is garbage and there's no point in trying. And in my case, I'm new at writing, so I logically know my work is going to be garbage. That's why I need to show it to people, so I can get better! But part of me just refuses to show people garbage for pride and fear of judgement and all that junk.

It even gets in the way of the writing process itself. I can't write more than 300 words without thinking "oh god, what am I doing?", even though I know I need to just suck it up and write whatever. The fact that I managed to write a 10k word story like that is nothing short of a small miracle. How do you guys all deal with this kind of fear? Or am I just super weak-minded.

Honestly, thunderdome is very good for that because you just write, and it's poop, so you write again. It's not a panacea and you do risk locking yourself into the flash format, but it's a good way past that deadlock.

However if you've written a 10k word story then might I observe you objectively can write words down? That's a decent length.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Yeah, Thunderdome seems like a lot of fun. I'll probably join in on the next prompt. I'm really enjoying all the pirate stories right now.

As for being able to write words, that doesn't really have much value if you never show your work to anyone. Or at least never to anyone who cares. I've tried posting around to various other sites in the past, but it seems that to the internet at large, if it's not fanfic, there's no non-commercial demand for it. Posting here just rings a little more... "high risk" in my head, since this is a community I want to be a part of, not just a site for "fire and forget" posting. the more I read my story, the more niche it seems to be, and the less I think others will even remotely like it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Link it

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Welp, here goes nothing:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899420

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Well, hey. I wrote a bunch of crap that was generally bad and definitely the wrong niche for SA. Fears confirmed! :eng99:

But, after a short existential crisis, I learned a lot on how I can improve things in the future. Still don't know if I'm going to rehab this particular story or try something else, but I don't think I'm giving up just yet. In the meantime I'll probably just hang around the Thunderdome, maybe better myself there.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Edit what you have! Half the skill in making art is in learning to revise your initial cool idea - even if you eventually decided to go with something else I think it's too soon to kvork the whole thing. At worst it's editing practice, and practice at looking objectively at your work.

Also, remember where this is - you're going to get brutal crits here. Look at some thunderdome crits if you want to see what's handed out to others.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Perpetual Motion posted:

Well, hey. I wrote a bunch of crap that was generally bad and definitely the wrong niche for SA. Fears confirmed! :eng99:

As a neutral 3rd party, I would actually say that the responses should confirm the opposite of your fears - you got some good advice on how to hook the reader better and make the characters more interesting (even if it feels brutal right now, because the piece is obviously very personal and this is the first real critique you've gotten on it), and the responses came from people who were pretty familiar with the genre that you were writing in.

Perpetual Motion posted:

Posting here just rings a little more... "high risk" in my head, since this is a community I want to be a part of, not just a site for "fire and forget" posting. the more I read my story, the more niche it seems to be, and the less I think others will even remotely like it.

You responded really graciously to those who posted crits, which is 100% the right thing to when you've asked for crits, and almost certainly makes you more of a part of the community than you were earlier. You don't have to get glowingly positive reviews to be a part of a creative community, you just have to participate and be gracious to the feedback that is given to you in good faith (Which you did! Which is great!).

In short,

lofi posted:

Edit what you have!

and also write other, shorter things and post them in Thunderdome. There's something to be gained in learning to incorporate feedback given to you on a piece, but there's also a lot to be gained from trying new things and having a blank canvas to start on that isn't quite as precious to you as the main story you want to tell.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the one iron clad rule of tdome (apart from IT'S IS ONLY SHORT FOR IT IS) is never argue with crits, and I can testify that even after seven years and approaching 200,000 words it's still really hard, but it's such a good discipline for everything creative.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sebmojo posted:

the one iron clad rule of tdome (apart from IT'S IS ONLY SHORT FOR IT IS) is never argue with crits, and I can testify that even after seven years and approaching 200,000 words it's still really hard, but it's such a good discipline for everything creative.

poo poo, I learned that in writing workshops in the real world.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man fiverr is depressing

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Everyone gleefully undercutting each other?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
help

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I want to edit a gif for a photoshop thread in gibbis, however, I've never even attempted editing a gif before so I'm wondering if there are any guides, tutorials or whatever that someone give me? Everything I've managed to find is on how to make a gif and not edit one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I had no problem closing it, but there was a bunch of crap in it that I only ever had like pastel sticks and charcoal because it was required for a drawing class. It was all busted up anyway and I don't like those kinds of materials, so I threw it all out. Kept the conté crayons and graphite sticks, but I don't like charcoal and pastel.

Besides that, I took out everything, threw out the dried out Sakura pigma microns, put some painting stuff into another container, and scrubbed the loving poo poo out of it. I needed rubbing alcohol to get rid of some old thick ink spills that glued down something from once upon a time and some other nastiness. Cleaning it out freed up some space for me to put in some new gear that I've gotten.

I've had this fucker for fourteen years and it's the best tackle box that I have ever owned. It's a Plano model 3300 and it is not made anymore. I had to look inside to find the model number. I know it never had any kind of branding on the exterior. I got it as part of my design kit when I was at Westwood College for game art design in 2005 and it's just an amazing box (I got out of that school as fast as I could in 2006 and went to a real art program right after). I've wanted another one just like it for a long time and never knew who made it until I finally just made an effort to find out. There are some used ones on eBay that are beige and green and have the Plano branding on them and I'm almost crazy enough to spend the $40 to get one.

This is a great idea. I'm going tackle box hunting now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Franc has noted we don't have an Inktober thread, does someone arty want to make one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lofi posted:

Everyone gleefully undercutting each other?

its a race to the loving bottom my dudes