Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks for the insights, all!

Ceiling fans

Good idea to keep mine in storage, but I've lived in the house for more than two years now and I've literally never used it, so I'm not worried about that.

Microwave fan

It's on an interior wall and just vents out the top, so I think it's more on the useless territory. Here's a question: is it possible to vent it to the outside? Or, if it were removed and the cabinetry above it were removed, to have a hood that vents outside installed in their place? I could easily move to a countertop microwave instead. I don't know if that's a $1000 or $5000 job, though...

Backsplash

That makes sense, it would be pretty low visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

My microwave+vent (that uses an actual 6" short run of vent to the outside) is pretty decent. It's enough (300CFM) that it needs makeup air from a nearby window to flow properly. The window is actually perfectly placed to push steam that would've rolled over the front back under the vent intakes.

CFM doesn't mean anything if there isn't a good makeup air setup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

surf rock posted:

Microwave fan

It's on an interior wall and just vents out the top, so I think it's more on the useless territory. Here's a question: is it possible to vent it to the outside? Or, if it were removed and the cabinetry above it were removed, to have a hood that vents outside installed in their place? I could easily move to a countertop microwave instead. I don't know if that's a $1000 or $5000 job, though...

Nor do we. It's entirely dependent on construction and what it will take to duct it to the outside. If this is a ranch/there is roof above the kitchen it's probably pretty easy. Otherwise somebody needs to see your place to tell if it's economically feasible to accomplish.

The place I bought has a recirc microwave/hood over the stove and the PO decided to leave it (which is actually kind of nice) while putting on the addition that has another stove and proper outside vent. We do any "serious" cooking on the new stove, but since we do the big family entertaining/bring a dish thing pretty regularly it's nice to have another stove for people to finish or reheat things on during those kinds of events. The double wall ovens are also glorious for those same type of events.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

I find them quite useful even with central AC. It's quite a bit cheaper to run them than AC on those intermediate days and I'd always rather have my windows open than recycled air. Definitely a personal preference thing, but it's definitely a thing.

They are like any other consumer range hoods - nearly useless if you recirc, okay if you vent to the outside. Every one I've put in has the option to vent outside (it's just a blocking plate) if you have the outside vent already.

Oh, I didn't realize some microwaves came with that option. I've only ever seen the recirc ones. Cool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Oh, I didn't realize some microwaves came with that option. I've only ever seen the recirc ones. Cool.

Every one I've seen has been part of the back plate you mount to the wall that the microwave actually hangs on. If you punch out the thing in the middle you can attach your external vent to it. Otherwise it acts as a blocking plate to redirect the air back through the bottom of the microwave to.....wherever in your face/kitchen.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ceiling fans are ugly but quite good at what they do. If you've got central air you can skip them, but if you live somewhere that gets warm days at all, and don't have ac, you'll regret removing them.
I admittedly live in an uninsulated house in swamp, but I have literally not turned my bedroom ceiling fan off in 5 years. It keeps the air moving, winter and summer, and keeps things from mildewing and it makes it feel 5 degrees cooler in summer and helps my heat in winter distribute better. Ceiling fans are the best.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I admittedly live in an uninsulated house in swamp, but I have literally not turned my bedroom ceiling fan off in 5 years. It keeps the air moving, winter and summer, and keeps things from mildewing and it makes it feel 5 degrees cooler in summer and helps my heat in winter distribute better. Ceiling fans are the best.

I do not live in a swamp (just in a river valley) and I approve of this statement.

Maybe it's the humidity thing that makes those of us who love ceiling fans that way?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bloody posted:

It's fine if you live in England and are willing to put in the work for it to not destroy your house. Everywhere else it's an invasive plague that will absolutely ruin your house, yard, and any remnants of native ecology
Any idea why I mentioned strawberries and dill?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ceiling fans are ugly but quite good at what they do. If you've got central air you can skip them, but if you live somewhere that gets warm days at all, and don't have ac, you'll regret removing them.

I don't think that I've ever lived in a place that had AC but no ceiling fans. They complement each other nicely and let you not turn on the AC on days where the fan alone is enough

Moist or dry, ceiling fans are great

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We have no AC, instead we have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Lifesaver during hot summer nights.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If I was looking at a house and the realtor told me "they removed the ceiling fan in this room 5 years ago" I would wind up assuming that they were trying to reproduce the groverhaus and that the stairs are made of load-bearing insulation, that the windows are held in place with old chewing gum, etc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ceiling fan is nice to break a chill in the room just after you run the heat for a bit as well. We use ours as much for this as we do in the summer AC-optional nights.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

We have neither AC nor fans but the temperature in the apartment stays magically between 22 and 26 deg C all year.

I also can't control the temperature in winter, it's done centrally because Switzerland.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
When I bought my previous house, one of the first upgrades was ceiling fans in every room.

Every. One.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Lotta ceiling fan action itt

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lotta ceiling fan action itt

They're big fans.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Every time the topic comes round people get all spun up, blows me away.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking to get a new washer+dryer set for my house (close in two days.)

There is a washer already there, but it's an old top-loader, not sure of age or quality...it's whatever the appliance version of "contractor grade" is. No dryer...the PO is an older woman in a care home, so I think someone from her family took the dryer...or it busted and they didn't replace it since she no longer lives there.

Either way, it seems I'm on the last days of Labor Day sales, so might as well try to take advantage of them?

As implied, I prefer front loader washer, and dryer needs to be electric.

I would prefer it NOT to have too many smart features, like wifi/Alexa enabled or anything like that, but decent enough clothes washing and drying options that are more than just "hot or cold water, hot or medium dry" like my last place.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After reading the crappy construction thread I would assume any ceiling fan fitted was fitted unsafely.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

There is a washer already there, but it's an old top-loader, not sure of age or quality...it's whatever the appliance version of "contractor grade" is. No dryer...the PO is an older woman in a care home, so I think someone from her family took the dryer...or it busted and they didn't replace it since she no longer lives there.

Either way, it seems I'm on the last days of Labor Day sales, so might as well try to take advantage of them?

I would prefer it NOT to have too many smart features, like wifi/Alexa enabled or anything like that, but decent enough clothes washing and drying options that are more than just "hot or cold water, hot or medium dry" like my last place.

I personally went for an expensive washer and a cheap dryer, I don't know if the exact brands are useful to you in the US, though (Miele and Beko respectively). Miele equipment is the very definition of basic interface (8 segment displays and buttons / rotator switches) and I leave the Beko permanently set to maximum autodry. I wouldn't mind some temperature controls on the dryer (rather than various levels of dryness autosensing and settings like "jeans" and "shirts").

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why do you want a front load washer?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Probably because they’re better.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Front loaders are great, especially for people under 6'. I don't know how my 4'9" sister in law does laundry in her top loader.

I've been happy with my LG washer/dryer set I bought 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it, (although it doesn't get much use) except the washer door gasket has a tendency to collect water and will grow mold if you don't clean it and/or let it thoroughly dry every time. I got the bells and whistles variety, although back then that just meant a steam option on the dryer and a delay start for the washer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nevets posted:

Front loaders are great, especially for people under 6'. I don't know how my 4'9" sister in law does laundry in her top loader.

I've been happy with my LG washer/dryer set I bought 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it, (although it doesn't get much use) except the washer door gasket has a tendency to collect water and will grow mold if you don't clean it and/or let it thoroughly dry every time. I got the bells and whistles variety, although back then that just meant a steam option on the dryer and a delay start for the washer.

Cool, yeah my research did point me towards LG, and I'm not short or anything, but I've used both front and top loaders and I prefer front.

1) I think they tend to use less water?
2) Don't have to worry about uneven loading when doing, like, sheets and towels, resulting in a lot of banging from the spin-cycle going all wild and eventually turning off because it's uneven.
3) Easier to get the clothes out of it, I think.

Delay start and steam options are about the bells and whistles I wouldn't mind. Just not, like...wifi alerts or touchscreens.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Dave posted:

They can be I guess. They also get nasty and smell bad and are expensive especially if they break.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As a member of the eurotrash I've always coveted the top loader washing machine, on account of it's presumably less wear on the bearings to spin something upright than to spin something held out horizontally. But it's always been the pump that fails first IME so I guess it doesn't matter.

I can't say I've found a difference in the ease of removing clothing from front vs top loaders, though I guess front loader would be easier if it was mounted at chest height.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Y'all need to leave your front loaders open when not in use. Hope you don't have small children.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

H110Hawk posted:

Y'all need to leave your front loaders open when not in use. Hope you don't have small children.

Or cats.

Top loaders are also easier if you or a family member has knee or back issues.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TofuDiva posted:

Or cats.

Top loaders are also easier if you or a family member has knee or back issues.

Do cats actually get stuck in them? My in laws have both front loaders and various cats over the years and it's never been a problem.

How do you deal with knee / back issues with dryers that are all front loaders? Does the washer make it that much worse? Do the pedestals help?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
front loaders are also more gentle on clothes. As for the cat or child concerns, just look inside as you toss in the clothes? I have both and have never murdered either :shrug:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

With tumble dryers you can get models that heat off a heat pump rather than just an electric element, they are quite a bit more energy efficient. I got both an AEG washer and (heatpump) dryer which... wash and dry very well I guess? The washer also has a water softener in it which is probably good for your clothes if you're in a hard water area.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

surf rock posted:

Considering another round of home improvement projects for the next year or two. Here's what I'm interested in deciding:

1.) Should I replace the vertical blinds in front of my living room's sliding door? If so, with what? The blinds remind me of apartment life, but I don't know what the classy thing to do with a sliding door would be.

Kill them with fire.

Consider if you really need a covering on that window, it doesn’t look like you’re overlooked much.

Otherwise curtains would work fine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
If you buy a gas dryer, check your local city and gas provider rebates.

I wound up finding a return/open box gas dryer at my local Best Buy. It was marked down to $500 with a full warranty, and my city gave me a $250 rebate. I believe the rebate was because the dryer has a moisture sensing feature.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MetaJew posted:

If you buy a gas dryer, check your local city and gas provider rebates.

I wound up finding a return/open box gas dryer at my local Best Buy. It was marked down to $500 with a full warranty, and my city gave me a $250 rebate. I believe the rebate was because the dryer has a moisture sensing feature.

Well, I found out I can get gas service to my house for free as long as I buy and install some sort of has appliance within 6 months, and my provider does rebates...but it looks like they don't do rebates on gas dryers. I'll probably stick with electric.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

After reading the crappy construction thread I would assume any ceiling fan fitted was fitted unsafely.

A safe bet. They're just DIY-able enough for someone that doesn't know what they're doing to hang one on a ceiling box rated to hold 20lbs of stationary fixture max.

The Dave posted:

Sure they are. Enjoy dealing with mold all over the seals because you, god forbid, closed the door after you were done.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

B-Nasty posted:

Sure they are. Enjoy dealing with mold all over the seals because you, god forbid, closed the door after you were done.

Why is it so hard to run a rag or towel around the seal after washing a load and leaving the door slightly ajar?

For a machine that cleans clothes better and uses less water this isn't that complicated.

I've had my machine for maybe 4.5-5 years and have not had any issues with mold.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MetaJew posted:

Why is it so hard to run a rag or towel around the seal after washing a load and leaving the door slightly ajar?

For a machine that cleans clothes better and uses less water this isn't that complicated.

I've had my machine for maybe 4.5-5 years and have not had any issues with mold.

It isn't hard, it's just that many people don't think of it or are too lazy. I do it to my front loader and it stays fine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's absolutely not an issue unless you're careless.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Probably because I don't want to have to feed and care for an appliance that should be pretty much maintenance free. If top-loaders came out after front-loaders, people would be remarking how much better it is that they don't have to clean it with a rag or leave the door hanging open looking like poo poo.

Modern HE top loaders (i.e. no center agitator) are gentle on clothes and use way less water than they used to. Unless you have space constraints or you are too short to bend over a top-loader, front-loaders are a downgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MetaJew posted:

I bet you clean your drier vent after every use, too.

(I wish gas driers were a thing here. Gas is a third the price of electricity.)