Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Turns out nothing matters! No emails, no mentions of this to anyone. Since its "just" a DR site, its not in production so its not worth mentioning. Only 2 people noticed it was down.

Meanwhile, a switch in our lab crashes and it part of a POC environment is running through it, and I had multiple calls about it. It took down the IT office that was running through it, and they were aware that there could be problems. That happened Wednesday of last week and I'm still getting questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You all get people shutting things down without knowing, but I get people going ape poo poo on me for shutting things down when I have valid reasons and also know exactly what I'm doing.

Couple of months ago, some jerks in Marketing were not doing 'data analysis' (was forced to give access, so new replica + read only account for them) and instead copying users' phone numbers (couldn't encrypt because I was forced to not encrypt) off and storing in Excel files for marketing related texts even when user opted out. It's a serious breach of privacy law + security issues so I had to shut down to prevent any more breach of such issues, analyse if there were any security compromise, then added a function in the internal system with enforced conditions for sending marketing texts to prevent any more breaches of law or security which took only a day to implement. Except I got called into a meeting immediately and was poo poo on with bunch of 'you can't do that!', 'what if it stopped the services!' or 'it's ok to copy if it's for internal use!' crap.

Responsibility without power! :smithicide:

edit: function I implemented only shows user count for conditions applied. Also I'm 'responsible' for security as well.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 6, 2019

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

kensei posted:

If you can't easily find it online, I probably have the script I used somewhere. PM if you want it.

code:
10 PRINT "hunter2 "
20 GOTO 10

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Im' remote today, and I'm in a conference call with my boss and team, and I just spilled an entire mug of steaming hot coffee on myself.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Im' remote today, and I'm in a conference call with my boss and team, and I just spilled an entire mug of steaming hot coffee on myself.

...and that's why I appeared on the conference webcam pantsless.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Shut up Meg posted:

I remember you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shut up Meg posted:

I can only picture everyone else acting indignant about the situation while each trying to hide the fact they're similarly pantsless and hoping nobody notices.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If the movie Speed has taught us anything, it's that sending a looped video allows you to get away with a lot more than a live feed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's a shame your webcam is having technical issues.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

turning off video saves bandwidth AND embarrassment

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also you don't have to look at yourself, which is great.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

turning off video saves bandwidth AND embarrassment

You learn the hard way that taping over the camera is essential.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I've just taken to flat out stating I don't have a webcam. People seem taken aback but no one's ever said anything else so, whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If you need a password reset literally every couple days and constant looking after from IT just so you can get into the system, you are incompetent and probably should retire.

This doctor put in a ticket to get his password reset yet again, but left his stupid answering service number so I can't even get the motherfucker going. This guy worked with my parents in the early 80s and he was a doctor then too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: roasting CLAM DOWN is now mod sass :v:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

skooma512 posted:

If you need a password reset literally every couple days and constant looking after from IT just so you can get into the system, you are incompetent and probably should retire.

This doctor put in a ticket to get his password reset yet again, but left his stupid answering service number so I can't even get the motherfucker going. This guy worked with my parents in the early 80s and he was a doctor then too.

Maddening. I don't know if that's better or worse than a 65+ year old mail clerk who cannot remember any password period.

"I'm locked out"
"Locked out of what"
"Windows, everything"
"Okay, I've unlocked your account, try to log in"
"I don't remember my password"
"Ookay I can reset that. You temporary password is Welcome12345!"
"Oh, now I have to come up with a new password? Ugh. Hold on, let me think of something"
"..."
"Okay, I've got it. ... Wait, it's not working. Stupid thing!"
"Did you put in the Welcome12345! on the first line? Capital W?
"Hmm? Oh, no! I totally forgot haha. Mondays, right?"
"Right"
"Okay, it looks like it's letting me in. Let me write this password down... okay. Thanks sweetie!"

Repeat every 3-4 days.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Not pissing me off: Getting a new position at work and feeling like my hard work was noticed. Can't wait to start.

Pissing me off: Waiting on HR to process everything with my position change and being stuck in limbo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Ratmtattat posted:

Not pissing me off: Getting a new position at work and feeling like my hard work was noticed. Can't wait to start.

Pissing me off: Waiting on HR to process everything with my position change and being stuck in limbo.

For whatever it's worth this HR process takes about 2 weeks at $current_job so I wont officially start my new position until next week either.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

IT VP that started 3 months ago seems to be floundering and having a hard time figuring out what he's supposed to do here and it's starting to affect my day-to-day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

IT VP that started 3 months ago seems to be floundering and having a hard time figuring out what he's supposed to do here and it's starting to affect my day-to-day.

How can a leader not know what his role is?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

How can a leader not know what his role is?

Because he wasn't hired to enact a vision or implement a roadmap or even with any clear idea of what the board and other executives want. He was hired because someone said "Other companies like us have this CTO position, we should do something like that too"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

IF you're looking for some morning coffee here is some of that pureuncut of a thread from /r/sysadmin

quote:

So when I arrived at the office at 730 am still looking like a shell shocked survivor of Omaha beach. The CFO immediately pole vaulted into my cubicle the moment I sit down and proceeds to hammer throw me and my manager into his office. He starts breaking down that "finance software we've never heard of" hasn't been brought back online and it's going to cause a catastrophe if it's not back online soon. I go through the list of critical applications that could not fail and what he was talking about was not on there. I professionally remind we are in crisis mode and can't take special requests right now. He insists that the team has been patient and that is app is basically there portal to do everything. I think to myself then why I haven't heard of it before part of the security audit six months was to inventory our software subscriptions. Unless and I cringed there's some shadow IT going on.

This actually made its way up to the CEO and we had to spend a security analyst to go figure out what accounting is talking about. What he found stunned me after two straight days of this cannot get worse moments it got worse. 15 years ago a sysadmin who had reputation for being a mad scientist type. He took users special requests via emails without ever ticket tracking, make random decisions without documentation, and would become hostile if you tried to get information out him, for ten years this guy was the bane of my existence. He retired in 2011 and according to his son unfortunately passed in 2015 to be with his fellow sith lords in the valley of dark lords this guy was something else even in death. Apparently he took it upon himself to build finance some homegrown software without telling anyone. When we did domain migrations he just never retired an old domain, took leftover 4 windows 2000 servers ( yes you read that correctly) and 2 ancient redhat servers since the licenses still worked and struck them in a closet for 15 years with a house fan from Walmart.

quote:

We looked and looked to understand how it worked because the web app appeared to have windows paths but also had Linux utilities. I did not understand how this thing was cobbled together but we eventually figured it out this maniac installed wine on the redhat server then installed cygwin on wine then compiled the windows application and it ran for 15 years kinda of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Running 15 years maintenance free is actually testament to his genius!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Because he wasn't hired to enact a vision or implement a roadmap or even with any clear idea of what the board and other executives want. He was hired because someone said "Other companies like us have this CTO position, we should do something like that too"

At the very least a VP would talk to his direct reports and lead the status quo. Leadership for the most part is showing up and collecting a paycheck. You essentially have to try to gently caress that up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

IF you're looking for some morning coffee here is some of that pureuncut of a thread from /r/sysadmin

:stare:

The real problem here is the guy who did this is already dead, so you can't hunt him down and murder him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Running 15 years maintenance free is actually testament to his genius!

I am sure spiceworks lost a big contributor to the forums.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanatosian posted:

:stare:

The real problem here is the guy who did this is already dead, so you can't hunt him down and murder him.

I mean, that guy worked at least one miracle, so I think a Cadaver Synod should be on the table.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm torn between the annoyance factor and the sheer crazy gall of the thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

At the very least a VP would talk to his direct reports and lead the status quo. Leadership for the most part is showing up and collecting a paycheck. You essentially have to try to gently caress that up.

My Director is between me and the VP, and among other things the VP is starting to micromanage our helpdesk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

My Director is between me and the VP, and among other things the VP is starting to micromanage our helpdesk.

Someone is bored as gently caress then. I imagine someone has asked him to report on some things and he was left not knowing what to report. Instead of talking to his direct reports and making poo poo up, he is trying to get himself out there and shake stuff up. He isn't doing the VP thing correctly.

I would also think that maybe one of the C-levels is bitching about the helpdesk and C-levels will do from time to time.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I forgot what I did when I got my current laptop, but no webcams at all work on it. Been 2.5 years and I haven't needed to fix the break so I guess I did a good job.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Anyone else get a deluge of marketing emails from Staples this morning? Moment 8 O'Clock hit, every ~30 seconds we kept getting the same marketing email until I blocked the address.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
First they forced me to hand over the services, and now they need me to work on them again because they’re short on hands. Because two devs decided to hit eject button after 6 months in the company. Maybe give me pay raise first :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

I am sure spiceworks lost a big contributor to the forums.

:golfclap:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
One of our stores is in a somewhat remote town. Well the only local bank branch closed. The closest bank branch of any kind is now like 15+ miles away.

The bank offered to set up that location with a scanner so they can at least remotely deposit checks.

It requires Internet Explorer :bang:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am totally over getting meeting requests for an hour of my time a week from now to go over something that would take 30 seconds to 5 minutes in Teams or face to face.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Someone dropped the ball.

We converted from mapped shared drives of ~2GB for PST files 1 year ago to O365 and one user didn't have her PST portion converted to O365.

Fast forward to our Windows 10 rollout this month and a large chunk of her sensitive data is gone with new machines issued. Evidence needed for removals, suspensions, drug-free workplace, etc.

Assistant HR Director gets involved, elevates it to OIT national since local doesn't know what's going on. Spent 72 hours tracking down data through backups until it was found apparently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the amount of stuff that is a two sentence email that people book in as a meeting a week out and then also don't provide an agenda for :argh:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don’t want to talk politics or religion with you, sorry every single coworker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah the amount of stuff that is a two sentence email that people book in as a meeting a week out and then also don't provide an agenda for :argh:

Just start mass handing out "Read this before our next meeting" with some snarky thank you note on it.