Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GrandpaPants posted:

That accepting billionaire pedophile money is okay until you get caught.

I assume they also just kept the money.

I don't see the problem with accepting money from suspicious donors as such. As long as the donor is kept at arm's length and doesn't get to turn the operation into an extension of their PR department I don't care if researchers accept funding indirectly via taxes or directly via donations from Trump/Nazi gold hoards/[insert bad person/group].

It's just that Media Lab has been run by assholes happy to actively carry water for bigger assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

silence_kit posted:

What are the most notable ideas which have come out of the MIT Media Lab?

Mitch Resnick's work is legitimately great, I have a huge amount of respect for that guy. He's the Mr. Rogers of tech.

He's also got the official title that I am not making up of "LEGO Papert Professor of Learning Research", named for the founder of the media lab and a corporation that shovels money into it. gently caress the world.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

He's also got the official title that I am not making up of "LEGO Papert Professor of Learning Research", named for the founder of the media lab and a corporation that shovels money into it. gently caress the world.

Endowed professorships can be pretty :lol:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

It really cannot be overstated how much the Silicon Valley tech industry has become the investment banking industry of 2005, except that the amounts of money involved are an order of magnitude beyond what banks ever paid anyone.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

suck my woke dick posted:

I don't see the problem with accepting money from suspicious donors as such. As long as the donor is kept at arm's length and doesn't get to turn the operation into an extension of their PR department I don't care if researchers accept funding indirectly via taxes or directly via donations from Trump/Nazi gold hoards/[insert bad person/group].

That's extremely not what happens. Corporations who "sponsor" media lab projects usually end up owning the technology outright, and usually deal with the students directly. These aren't research grants or unrestricted donations, it's an open-air market for overpriced bad ideas that will never go anywhere. It's basically Silicon Valley in a microcosm.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's extremely not what happens. Corporations who "sponsor" media lab projects usually end up owning the technology outright, and usually deal with the students directly. These aren't research grants or unrestricted donations, it's an open-air market for overpriced bad ideas that will never go anywhere. It's basically Silicon Valley in a microcosm.

That simply boils down to a really wasteful form of contract research or consultancy.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

It's just that Media Lab has been run by assholes happy to actively carry water for bigger assholes.

Universities taking money from rich people, even if those rich people have only the faintest say in how the money gets used, creates a situation in which the people talking to these rich people have to be acceptable to those rich people and you end up with university officials who are predisposed to be sympathetic to the rich and powerful. These donations don't happen in a vacuum. With taxes, representatives of the people decide what to do with the money, some of which is given to schools. It has its flaws, some of them deep, but I find your comparison between the two situations disturbing, they are not even close.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
MIT is a private university, it's already inherently about being acceptable to rich people.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

Universities taking money from rich people, even if those rich people have only the faintest say in how the money gets used, creates a situation in which the people talking to these rich people have to be acceptable to those rich people and you end up with university officials who are predisposed to be sympathetic to the rich and powerful. These donations don't happen in a vacuum. With taxes, representatives of the people decide what to do with the money, some of which is given to schools. It has its flaws, some of them deep, but I find your comparison between the two situations disturbing, they are not even close.

Yes but we already knew that trying to plaster philantopry, competition and markets all across higher education/academic research is bad. In the absence of better funding policies I don't think it's realistic to expect universities to fall on their sword and say no to money though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

fishmech posted:

MIT is a private university, it's already inherently about being acceptable to rich people.

I think we are differing on the is/ought axis here.

Yes but we already knew that trying to plaster philantopry, competition and markets all across higher education/academic research is bad. In the absence of better funding policies I don't think it's realistic to expect universities to fall on their sword and say no to money though.

Ok, but this is different from what you said in the post I responded to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shut up and JAM! posted:

How much money did you make landlord?

-1000$+ after the fact that some of my roommates didn't pay their share of the rent and jacked up the heating bill for no reason. "Slumlord" in quotes, I wasn't the landlord, but the principle tenant who was sole responsible for rent; but I in turn had like 7 roommates+roaches. I even had to take one of them to court and get them evicted because they were disturbing/crazy/violent and didn't clean up their messes.

I eventually informed the landlord that I would not be renewing the lease and moved to a new city for my new job and hopefully I never have roommates again.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Looks like Uber now wants to disrupt payday lending
https://twitter.com/lorenasgonzalez/status/1169741774408929280?s=21

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Was listening to This Week in Tech today, and heard this one:

DOJ demands Apple and Google give them data on everyone who downloaded a gun scope tuning app called Obsidian 4:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atn.obsidian4K

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Was listening to This Week in Tech today, and heard this one:

DOJ demands Apple and Google give them data on everyone who downloaded a gun scope tuning app called Obsidian 4:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atn.obsidian4K

Ah so they're trying to see who is using the app outside the US and in violation of arms exports

quote:

The US government has reportedly ordered Apple and Google to hand over the names, phone numbers and IP addresses of at least 10,000 users of a gun scope app. The data request is part of an investigation into weapons export violations, but it has privacy experts understandably concerned. According to Forbes, this is the first known case of US investigators demanding personal data from users of a single app from Apple and Google.

The app in question is Obsidian 4, which controls rifle scopes by American Technologies Network (ATN) Corp. It has more than 10,000 downloads on Google Play, and it's unknown how many times it's been downloaded through the App Store. As Forbes explains, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) department is investigating illegal ATN scope exports. In theory, figuring out where the app is in use might indicate where the hardware has been shipped.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/06/doj-apple-google-demand-user-data/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericgplatt/status/1171182674750390274?s=21

This is hilarious.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Probably too early for that, but it would be hilarious if a company hyping the novel idea of "what if we own property and charge other people to use it" pops the tech bubble.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Probably too early for that, but it would be hilarious if a company hyping the novel idea of "what if we rent property and charge other people to use it" pops the tech bubble.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"How did these people gently caress up something as simple as 'charging rent'!? And why did we invest money in them!?"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I am interested in how they're losing so much money. Is it all going to renovating the space before they start leasing it? Are the rents they charge too low? It can't all be paying the CEO for trademarking the word "We" or whatever.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Badger of Basra posted:

I am interested in how they're losing so much money. Is it all going to renovating the space before they start leasing it? Are the rents they charge too low? It can't all be paying the CEO for trademarking the word "We" or whatever.

Buy a building with company A, rent it to company B at market rate or a bit higher, have company C service the building and charge company. A, have company D own the rights to company A, B and C’s IP, have company E spread magic disruption dust and have SoftBank fund B to keep the whole thing fed with VC cash.

Serve beer after 3 and have uncomfortable phone booths.

None of the money is lost, just grifted.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Probably too early for that, but it would be hilarious if a company hyping the novel idea of "what if we own property and charge other people to use it" pops the tech bubble.

I am so here for this.

Total Meatlove posted:

Buy a building with company A, rent it to company B at market rate or a bit higher, have company C service the building and charge company. A, have company D own the rights to company A, B and C’s IP, have company E spread magic disruption dust and have SoftBank fund B to keep the whole thing fed with VC cash.

They also purchased a stake in a wave pool maker.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Total Meatlove posted:

He's already been forced to reduce the amount of money he is paying himself for the rights to the word We because the grifting was a bit too obvious there. It's impressive how many layers he has setup with this.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think I'm starting to get the trick to getting rich: never spend your own money.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1171410145357811713

They're ignoring SoftBank's pleas. lol

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

So... how big of a disaster is this going to be?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

aware of dog posted:

So... how big of a disaster is this going to be?

I mean as far as investors are concerned they manage to lose money loving rent-seeking, which is a thing they can actually understand and have some framework for how insane that is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
WeWork needs the IPO because it has $6bn in bank loans lined up that are contingent on $3-4bn being raised in an IPO before they're allowed to draw. If SoftBank aren't going to inject more money then a business that's burning cash as fast as WeWork needs that bank funding.

Feinne posted:

I mean as far as investors are concerned they manage to lose money loving rent-seeking, which is a thing they can actually understand and have some framework for how insane that is.

This has been the most insane thing about WeWork from the beginning. It operates in a thoroughly understood sector and any competent investor knows almost exactly how much money you can make rent-seeking, and that it's nowhere near enough to back up any of the valuations they bought into WeWork at.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

peanut- posted:

WeWork needs the IPO because it has $6bn in bank loans lined up that are contingent on $3-4bn being raised in an IPO before they're allowed to draw. If SoftBank aren't going to inject more money then a business that's burning cash as fast as WeWork needs that bank funding.

This has been the most insane thing about WeWork from the beginning. It operates in a thoroughly understood sector and any competent investor knows almost exactly how much money you can make rent-seeking, and that it's nowhere near enough to back up any of the valuations they bought into WeWork at.

On the other hand, SoftBank is trying to raise another $100B for a venture fund right now and having a high profile loser isn't likely to get investor's enthused. Given the choice, I'm not sure I'd rather SoftBank or WeWork go down if I can't have both.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

MickeyFinn posted:

On the other hand, SoftBank is trying to raise another $100B for a venture fund right now and having a high profile loser isn't likely to get investor's enthused. Given the choice, I'm not sure I'd rather SoftBank or WeWork go down if I can't have both.

I mean if WeWork's IPO doesn't raise enough for those contingent loans then they're essentially out of business at their current grift rate, which would also cut the throat of SoftBank's fund. So you could get both.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If this takes down SoftBank who else is coming down with it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feinne posted:

I mean if WeWork's IPO doesn't raise enough for those contingent loans then they're essentially out of business at their current grift rate, which would also cut the throat of SoftBank's fund. So you could get both.

grift finds a way

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean it's unlikely WeWork would instantly collapse or anything if the IPO doesn't happen. But they'd have to renegotiate those loans and borrow less money on more expensive terms, which they obviously don't want.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If this takes down SoftBank who else is coming down with it?

itll be a black eye, but it wont take down SoftBank

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah softbank is goddamn huge

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Could be a canary in the coal mine. Lehmann Bros was huge too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

they're not really comparable. softbank is much larger than lehman bros ever was. softbank is invested mostly in technology, either as a shareholder or outright owner of telecoms, robotics, etc. like softbank owns boston dynamics and sprint and a ton of other steady revenue generation streams in asia. lehman bros borrowed money to invest heavily in subprime lending

softbank could lose their entire stake in uber and wework and it would be a real bad day but it wouldn't kill the company

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

they've got a giant VC slush fund that's walled off from the rest of the company that would take the hit. also that bit owns a ton of telecom and service providers that they actually get revenue in from

the bigger deal would be as was pointed out earlier, is that it's in the process of arranging a second giant VC slush fund and WeWork loving up would likely gently caress that up

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheScott2K posted:

Wework: Can nary a code mine

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

luxury handset posted:

they're not really comparable. softbank is much larger than lehman bros ever was. softbank is invested mostly in technology, either as a shareholder or outright owner of telecoms, robotics, etc. like softbank owns boston dynamics and sprint and a ton of other steady revenue generation streams in asia. lehman bros borrowed money to invest heavily in subprime lending

softbank could lose their entire stake in uber and wework and it would be a real bad day but it wouldn't kill the company

There's also the issue that Lehman's collapse had more to do with the US Treasury's bungling of the issue. Hank Paulson assumed the Lehman could go bankrupt (definitely no bad blood there either given Paulson was a Goldman guy prior lmfao) and serve as a backstop to the moral hazard of banks assuming bailouts were guaranteed to happen. They miscalculated though because Lehman had significant UK assets and bankruptcy in the UK causes an immediate seizure of assets and halting of business. Lehman rather than gracefully going through bankruptcy saw its entire business collapse overnight as it lost access to credit, and since Lehman operated 100% on credit tons of banks in wall street were exposed. And not just to their bad debt but also the shady instruments they were selling (CDOs and stuff) which then caused the credit markets, including between the banks themselves. It was this total freezing of credit that caused the crisis.

So yes, it only takes one big thing to happen to cause the whole house of cards to come down, but there have to be more intricacies involved than just the firm being exposed to a lot of risk. I don't know enough about Softbank's financials to really comment, but it seems unlikely to be similar to Lehman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
softbank has its fingers in a ton of different telecom providers, and in fact got real big real fast off the growth of the internet in japan. like yahoo partnered with softbank for the yahoo japan site which was dominant, softbank was/is deep in mobile phones, and for overseas investments softbank was one of the earliest investors in alibaba which made *checks notes* something like 3,000% returns. so they've got much better financial health than tripling down on subprime mortgages