Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I really can't take issue with the liberties the English script takes with giving the characters their voices. If you translate Japanese (and especially anime Japanese) with all its formulaic stock phrases and repetitions more or less straight into English, the result is usually borderline unreadable. It's absolutely fine and in fact very good that the English script translates Linhardt's "wakaranai... wakaranai, na..." with "I don't understand, but I absolutely wish I did" even though what he literally says isn't anywhere near that. (Trivial example off the top of my head that I just read, from his C support with Marianne)

I wasted something like ten years of my life on fansubbing anime to come to this conclusion. That time is long gone now, but if you aren't as dumb as I am you can just go watch Tim Rogers talk about translating JRPG's on YouTube.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

It's my personal opinion based on me knowing enough Japanese that I can tell they often cross the line between localizing and complete script rewriting. I don't mind some liberal translation here and there in order to localize a joke or cultural element 99% of a non-Japanese audience wouldn't understand into a recognizable equivalent - the FLCL dub is a fantastic example of this - but even ignoring censorship Treehouse will often just change entire conversations wholesale for no real reason. Or so they can insert dank memes into the dialogue, because you know, that always ages well.
Since the Treehouse is, you know, part of Nintendo itself, I would think any changes they make are signed off on by the original writers. One Treehouse member (who quit) even posted on twitter about basically being the lead writer on Paper Mario Color Splash, so the line between the translating and writing team may be quite muddled in some cases.

You might be completely right, it's not like I actually have any inside info here, or know Japanese! I'm wary whenever people say "Treehouse bad" because it often feels like they're basing their opinion entirely on the one case of Fire Emblem Fates and ignoring the 100s of Nintendo games they've worked on.

E: VV See that? that's exactly what I'm talking about

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

And what is this based on, again?

Do you remember the Fates localization?

TheFluff posted:

I really can't take issue with the liberties the English script takes with giving the characters their voices. If you translate Japanese (and especially anime Japanese) with all its formulaic stock phrases and repetitions more or less straight into English, the result is usually borderline unreadable. It's absolutely fine and in fact very good that the English script translates Linhardt's "wakaranai... wakaranai, na..." with "I don't understand, but I absolutely wish I did" even though what he literally says isn't anywhere near that. (Trivial example off the top of my head that I just read, from his C support with Marianne)

I wasted something like ten years of my life on fansubbing anime to come to this conclusion. That time is long gone now, but if you aren't as dumb as I am you can just go watch Tim Rogers talk about translating JRPG's on YouTube.

It's good when the intent of a sentence is translated, not so good when they replace it with some random bullshit.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

I remember people being all "stop complaining, let treehouse have a chance!!" prior to Fates coming out when people were bemoaning how they'd do a bad job.

They did a bad job. :v:

Cuntellectual posted:

Do you remember the Fates localization?

I remember it was fine and that Fates itself was poo poo

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

I remember it was fine and that Fates itself was poo poo

Both were bad.

I generally don't like when things are re-written too much. Like re-writing a sentence entirely to convey the same meaning with entirely different words? That's fine. But re-writing the sentence so that the entire meaning is different? I don't think that's a good job at all.

Even in cases when the original material is questionable (like Leon and Camilla's supports in JP fates), I prefer it when it's faithfully translated, because then everyone is dealing with the same thing. Like, undue credit shouldn't be given, or something? :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 10, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cuntellectual posted:

It's good when the intent of a sentence is translated, not so good when they replace it with some random bullshit.

Yeah this is basically where I am. Again using FLCL as an example, localizing Cheerio into Crystal Pepsi is a great example of good localization imo: it keeps the original intent of the line (emphasizing a store is so off the beaten path and niche it's selling a long-discontinued soda) while make it more comprehensible for a local audience. One of the big faults of Japanese - and in particular the Japanese used in anime - is that it's super goddamn repetitive and can start sounding stock. So I don't mind "punching up" the dialogue so to speak so long as the original intent is getting across. Yu Yu Hakusho's dub is like this an imo is superior to the original Japanese because it takes a lot of the "characters rehash what is going on using the exact same dialogue over and over" scenes and add some flavor to the dialogue that's in character and still gets the original point of the scene across.

Treehouse... completely changes Japanese dialogue into internet memes. Also they censor a poo poo ton, particularly in Fire Emblem, but I realize that's almost certainly not 100% their decision.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cuntellectual posted:

seriously give him a wyvern and he's basically caim
gently caress, you've made me appreciate dimitri so much more

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I have only seen a small part of the game so far but I haven't noticed any memes :shrug:
I haven't heard the Japanese for the Catherine/Shamir scene discussed earlier myself, but it sounds like some weird rear end censorship because in the English script Shamir is still like "we can start planning the next step and get married if you're worried about losing me" so it's not like they're even avoiding touching on the presumably sensitive stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think some people just want literal face fronting gay because decades of Ike/Soren scarred them on the internets

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I'm all for more gay, I'm just scratching my head about the mysterious censoring logic

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I think some people just want literal face fronting gay because decades of Ike/Soren scarred them on the internets

I want queer content cause im queer tbh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

doing a Golden Deer runthrough now on classic hard mode.

who should i recruit to my house that has good support stories with Golden Deer fam? Hanneman and Lysithea seem to have a cool plot and in my last Black Eagles playthrough Ferdinand and Mercedes ended up together, which was nice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

are you loving kidding me
for the record they do still mention marriage in the eng version, its that they remove the specific worldbuilding around gay marriage in the eng version

which is still stupid as crap imo because that stuff's interesting and makes it feel more relatable, but its not a literal hatecrime

TheFluff posted:

I have only seen a small part of the game so far but I haven't noticed any memes :shrug:
I haven't heard the Japanese for the Catherine/Shamir scene discussed earlier myself, but it sounds like some weird rear end censorship because in the English script Shamir is still like "we can start planning the next step and get married if you're worried about losing me" so it's not like they're even avoiding touching on the presumably sensitive stuff.
it feels like they're just intensely touchy about anything that could remotely be cosntrued as 'problematic' or smth. shamir saying dagda likes gay marriage means -

wait

holy gently caress dagda approving of gay marriage is a giant metajoke about the fe5 ending where marty is referred to as 'the man dagda loved'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did fire emblem three houses just make dagda/marty canon

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

it does now

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

for the record they do still mention marriage in the eng version, its that they remove the specific worldbuilding around gay marriage in the eng version

which is still stupid as crap imo because that stuff's interesting and makes it feel more relatable, but its not a literal hatecrime

it feels like they're just intensely touchy about anything that could remotely be cosntrued as 'problematic' or smth. shamir saying dagda likes gay marriage means -

wait

holy gently caress dagda approving of gay marriage is a giant metajoke about the fe5 ending where marty is referred to as 'the man dagda loved'

:aaaaa:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

my god

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't really want to

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The other worldbuilding implication of "they moved to Dagda because gay marriage is common there" is that Fodlan is not accepting of gay marriage. So I'm okay with that specific line being cut and them just getting married instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This thing about Treehouse just entirely inventing new conversations sometimes reminds me of how the English translation of Breath of Fire IV just invented a "Nina is in love with Cray" subplot out of thin air when there was nothing like that at all in the original script.

TheFluff posted:

I really can't take issue with the liberties the English script takes with giving the characters their voices. If you translate Japanese (and especially anime Japanese) with all its formulaic stock phrases and repetitions more or less straight into English, the result is usually borderline unreadable.

I've sort of guessed that the overuse of the word "scheme" in Claude's dialogue (and dialogue about Claude) is an example of just this very thing happening. Is that likely, or is it more likely that whoever wrote Claude's English dialogue just really liked the word "scheme" for some reason?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 10, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Endorph posted:

wait

Endorph posted:

oh my god :vince:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just think of IASIP when I think of "schemes" now.

Particularly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzvgT3Tre8

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've sort of guessed that the overuse of the word "scheme" in Claude's dialogue (and dialogue about Claude) is an example of just this very thing happening. Is that likely, or is it more likely that whoever wrote Claude's English dialogue just really liked the word "scheme" for some reason?

It's actually lisp in the original, but they changed it for some reason.
(... this joke is so awful I feel like I have to make it)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

who should i recruit to my house that has good support stories with Golden Deer fam? Hanneman and Lysithea seem to have a cool plot and in my last Black Eagles playthrough Ferdinand and Mercedes ended up together, which was nice
linhardt unlocks a paralogue with leonie (but no supports, oddly?), and petra has some supports with claude

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sylvain gains speed and nothing else, Dedue refuses to gain more than 2 stats per level, and Ashe is somehow becoming a golden god

it's going to be one of those runs

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

Sylvain has so many GD supports that he may as well be an unofficial member, though none of them go beyond B. I think Ferdinand also unlocks Lysithea's part 2 paralogue though I haven't played that route myself

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Dagda/Marty is real and strong, and it’s my friend.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yinlock posted:

Sylvain gains speed and nothing else, Dedue refuses to gain more than 2 stats per level, and Ashe is somehow becoming a golden god

it's going to be one of those runs

Ashe being the MVP is canon.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I just got Ashe back post timeskip, and mmm I know I didn't use him as much as I could've, but wow he can't even kill an enemy bishop.
Sorry buddy, you may be a cute boy but you're immediately outclassed by Bernadetta, Shamir, and Leonie

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What’s the point of the “Subdue” Combat Art?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you want to feed kills to someone else or make sure you kill bosses with the most appropriate character.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/alcieart/status/1156636050242113539

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So in my second BL run I decided to gently caress around and make as many units as possible mounted. Had Dedue be an armor knight until he hit 20 and then put him on a wyvern.

:stare:

He uh, he has 29 str, 18 spd, and 25 def. At level 21. He could solo maps harder than Byleth and Dimitri combined at this point.

I put Sylvain on a wyvern too and he isn't far behind either. Are wyverns just broken as gently caress in this game?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

So in my second BL run I decided to gently caress around and make as many units as possible mounted. Had Dedue be an armor knight until he hit 20 and then put him on a wyvern.

:stare:

He uh, he has 29 str, 18 spd, and 25 def. At level 21. He could solo maps harder than Byleth and Dimitri combined at this point.

I put Sylvain on a wyvern too and he isn't far behind either. Are wyverns just broken as gently caress in this game?

wyverns are ultra busted yes

tbf they've always been real good but it's moreso now that ground mounts have been nerfed into oblivion

Chill Penguin posted:

What’s the point of the “Subdue” Combat Art?

it's not really useful but it's a very Lord thing to have

except for these lords who uhh are not even remotely pacifists

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 10, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yeah wyverns are just stupid

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

professor metis posted:

yeah wyverns are just stupid

there's probably a reason we usually only get like 1-2 per game

e: but yes any unit becomes instantly good just by riding a dragon

that is, of course, incredibly boring so I typically only have one on my fighting team

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 10, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It turns out that in a genre of game where unit placement, distance coverage, and terrain choke points are important to design balance, having the ability to just completely loving ignore terrain effects and also have a huge move distance just breaks the difficulty in half

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
My god unit this run is Dedue who for some reason keeps getting speed as well as having the highest str and def in my team. I can't complain about that but it's very weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

remove byleth from the game so people realize the good gay content is in the stuff that doesnt involve them

Agreed, but the game puts a lot of emphasis on Byleth's romances so even though the actual supports would probably be super bland it's still lame.

Also,

Endorph posted:

drat. Three Houses keeps adding to the argument it should be my game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its rare that i get obsessed with a jrpg but FE3H is just great. i love all the characters and the plot has the right amount of momentum to keep me hooked tge whole time