Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are several guys 75+ who do judo at my region's head club. They mostly do kata and uchikomi practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm all for sending people who start BJJ in their 40's who are having a mid life crisis and peaked in college/highschool to their own class. Its a tie between those guys and "I want my first MMA fight in a month" guys for "spazzes out and does something dumb and dangerous"

I actually more meant when guys who started in their 20's get to their 40's 50's and want to keep rolling but not enter the kumite 3x a week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I actually more meant when guys who started in their 20's get to their 40's 50's and want to keep rolling but not enter the kumite 3x a week.

I would love a lighter form of rolling/sparring. Where everyone involved knows it's not the same as full speed, but they still want to put their bodies through the motions, and have the experience and control to keep things light.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Well that's fine too, but I stand by what I said :colbert:

edit:I have had way too many old dudes start and go "hey bro take it easy on me, I'm an old guy" and I go "yea sure", give them the ol' "I'm gonna let you play" guard and immediately get tackled and elbowed/punched in the face.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 8, 2019

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

kimbo305 posted:

I would love a lighter form of rolling/sparring. Where everyone involved knows it's not the same as full speed, but they still want to put their bodies through the motions, and have the experience and control to keep things light.

Yeah man that's flow rolling - you could probably ask someone to do it during randori

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Or is ground work called newaza? I can never remember but whatever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

old.flv posted:

Yeah man that's flow rolling - you could probably ask someone to do it during randori

Usually rolling is light enough, but ime, you can start striking sparring at 25%, but it's really hard to keep it there with most people. The intensity will drift upward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well call those "chill rolls"

And yes ne waza = ground techniques

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm all for sending people who start BJJ in their 40's who are having a mid life crisis and peaked in college/highschool to their own class. Its a tie between those guys and "I want my first MMA fight in a month" guys for "spazzes out and does something dumb and dangerous"

New white belts are spazzy? Holy poo poo that's crazy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've just started martial arts - the only place nearby is a Kung Fu place that teaches Hua Quan.

What do you guys know about it? How does it compare?

It seems like at the very least it will keep me occupied for the rest of the year since a lot of it is exercise and conditioning which I can definitely use, and in a few months I'll probably start sparring, but at that point might want to switch to something else.

I don't have a particular interest an genuine self defense although I am looking forward to fighting again, it's definitely a lot different than the HEMA stuff I used to do. The person I've started classes with IS interested in self defense though, or at least that it provides some small amount of utility there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Never heard of it. According to wikipedia it's one of the styles used in modern wushu forms, so it might be cool. I'm surprised to hear the school spars, so report back once you get to try it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I've just started martial arts - the only place nearby is a Kung Fu place that teaches Hua Quan.

What do you guys know about it? How does it compare?
As Siivola said, I only know it as a performance form. Like you do the routine start to finish and get judged on aesthetics.

quote:

The person I've started classes with IS interested in self defense though, or at least that it provides some small amount of utility there.
As in a training partner you know? Or the instructor?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Training partner. I don't know of them doing any performance stuff but they do definitely have sparring.

They have weapons stuff as well which I'm hoping to do at some point and am looking forward to, but sadly no weapon based sparring...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 9, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

They have weapons stuff as well which I'm hoping to do at some point and am looking forward to, but sadly no weapon based sparring...

You're not missing out on anything, if you want to do weapon based sparring go LARP, "realistic" weapons training is mostly theory for the most part because of the safety<->realism continuum.

EX: If you're using hard/edged weapons, you're either going at slow speed or are armored to prevent injury, if you're using soft sticks/markers/shock sticks what ever there's not enough feed back as to what shots are actually disabling vs stuff that just kinda stings that you could fight through.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

While you're right, I would love to try this thing I've probably shared here before: https://torontoist.com/2017/08/made-canada-martial-art/

The guy's developed a long-rear end spear that goes SQUEAK when you score a solid thrust. :allears:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

God, that's amazing. And spear is by far my favorite weapon, from an aesthetic and form perspective. I only worked with a spear for like 3 months total but it was wonderful. But its hard to spar with safely in a way that doesn't make it feel like a toy.

Interesting the dude in the article is basically following the HEMA approach of trying to unlock techniques from a book.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 10, 2019

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm rather surprised they don't wear some kind of gorget.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

At the end of every class I hit up a guy in his 50s for a round "flow rolling" which, for us, is just very light and not really full speed or resistance. He says it helps him get in more mat time without getting too banged up and whatever, its just five minutes to accommodate him.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

You should watch guys winning at Kali competitions.

Back when I did a bit of it in a JKD school I googled some comps and basically the more you whip the stick back and forth like a loving helicopter the more likely you are to win, which holds up because ploughing a helicopter into someone would definitely win a fight.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

quidditch it and quit it posted:

..ploughing a helicopter into someone would definitely win a fight.

It worked for John Landis.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

If they tried to take me to the ground, I'd merely apply a pressure point causing their penis to shoot poo poo out of itself and then explode. First day stuff in Hokuto.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DandyLion posted:

I'm rather surprised they don't wear some kind of gorget.

That'll change the first time someone takes a thrust mid-chest and it slides upwards.

Spears are fun, but never underestimate how good leverage is when you've got two hands on a 8' pole and the point of contact is 3" diameter.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

...you wouldn't happen to be west of Boston, would you? Just because I attend a Hua Quan Kung Fu place and the instructor told me that a dude who does/did HEMA was starting to show up at some of the classes there.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Liquid Communism posted:

That'll change the first time someone takes a thrust mid-chest and it slides upwards.

Spears are fun, but never underestimate how good leverage is when you've got two hands on a 8' pole and the point of contact is 3" diameter.

Truth. I've seen rubber tipped spears not unlike what was shown cave in/buckle a 350N fencing mask like it was paper mache. They are the real deal no joke weapon, and still very dangerous even with a rubber tip.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Truth. I've seen rubber tipped spears not unlike what was shown cave in/buckle a 350N fencing mask like it was paper mache. They are the real deal no joke weapon, and still very dangerous even with a rubber tip.

Yeah, seriously. They're fun as hell to play with, but I wouldn't ever want to go full speed unstructured freeplay with those because if they go wrong, they go wrong hard.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Dzurlord posted:

...you wouldn't happen to be west of Boston, would you? Just because I attend a Hua Quan Kung Fu place and the instructor told me that a dude who does/did HEMA was starting to show up at some of the classes there.

I would, actually...

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Goon Meet

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dzurlord posted:

Uh oh, better review your gym for the thread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DandyLion posted:

I've taken an 8 foot spear to the chest in full armor while advancing during SCA field battles. Even on a rattan shaft with a 3" padded head it still rocked me through my gambeson and coat of plates bad enough that I felt it for a day or two. Leverage is a hell of a thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not leverage. It's moment of inertia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

It's not leverage. It's moment of inertia.

Its both, and more.

Moment of inertia is a property of an object, namely how hard it is to get it rotating. This is what makes a staff hit hard.

By holding a staff at different points, you are effectively changing the length of the lever arm as you swing. If you hit with the far end, but hold somewhere closer to the middle, then this is leverage.

And since this is all rotational, its more proper to use torque rather than force.

In any case, I think we all knew what was meant by leverage.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong but we're talking spears here and spears are not levers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Belt test today. Technically they are doing the testing this coming Friday evening for those who trained regularly over summer but I'm leaving for holidays Thursday PM so master agreed to test me after class today.

Pros:

*Testing before vacation instead of after, so my 2 weeks of gluttony (drinking, eating like a pig and not regularly exercising) won't be followed up with a test as soon as I get home.
*Not testing in front of literally 200 people (peers, black belts, family)

Cons:

*Totally by myself. Nobody else testing at the same time means master and the other senior black belts that are there are Just. Watching. Me. Crowd will be way smaller, probably 3-6 people, but everyone will be critical and evaluating.

I totally don't mind working in front of people, we do it every day, but still not used to everyone dropping everything and completely staring at what you and you alone. If I choke, that's when it's going to happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Belt test today. Technically they are doing the testing this coming Friday evening for those who trained regularly over summer but I'm leaving for holidays Thursday PM so master agreed to test me after class today.

Pros:

*Testing before vacation instead of after, so my 2 weeks of gluttony (drinking, eating like a pig and not regularly exercising) won't be followed up with a test as soon as I get home.
*Not testing in front of literally 200 people (peers, black belts, family)

Cons:

*Totally by myself. Nobody else testing at the same time means master and the other senior black belts that are there are Just. Watching. Me. Crowd will be way smaller, probably 3-6 people, but everyone will be critical and evaluating.

I totally don't mind working in front of people, we do it every day, but still not used to everyone dropping everything and completely staring at what you and you alone. If I choke, that's when it's going to happen.

Good luck! My experience in my big judo belt test was that it felt like a formality and a letdown after all of the preparation. Show them what you know.

BTW - refresh my memory on your sport? Are you the trad TKD guy?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the upside, you also won't need to feel bad for fumbling something that the next guy breezes through. :unsmith: On the downside, you can't cheat by looking at what the others are doing. :smith:

Good luck!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks! I think it will go OK.. or at least I hope so :smith:

CommonShore posted:

BTW - refresh my memory on your sport? Are you the trad TKD guy?
Yes. That is I.

Our testing consists of 3 parts:

Pattern (belt specific)

7 sets of short prearranged sparring moves with a partner. These are belt type specific (IE: Green & blue stripe, Blue & red stripe, Red &Black stripe). For blue belt, this is called "one step" where there is 1 attack (hence 1 step) and 2+ counter moves for defence

Free sparring for 60 to 90 sec.

I need a partner for 2 of the 3 so a black stripe/Dan candidate buddy of mine is partnering with me. He's physically a good size match for me but being a BB candidate his sparring is defintely a notch up from mine.

Been practising pretty hard for this the last month in particular knowing I wanted to test. 3 of the 7 1-step involve take downs (2 are quasi hip throws) which is not a strong point of TKD and still feels a little foreign, but I'm able to muddle through them. Assuming I get my stripe, it's the same 1-step for going full red so I'll be able to work on them some more if they're not great.

I feel pretty solid on my pattern, but it is a TON of stance changes which is the explicit purpose of the pattern being as challenging as it is. I thought I had it pretty much locked down, and then the 4th dan I was with last night starting pointing out my walking stance was a little narrow, so now I'm working on widening it. Which sort of sucks at this stage :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Spear chat:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2381198101892986&id=181753478504137

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Testing came and went. I'm sure I passed but I won't get the official news until I return from holidays early Oct.

A little nerve wracking testing outside of the normal "group" testing. Handful of people there... Master, my primary 5th dan instructor, and about 7 more 3+ Dan instructors/senior BBs. Everyone was working on their stuff immediately after class and my master asked a couple to give me room as I was being graded and with that, everyone stopped what they were doing, went to the side sat and watched. Which kind of sucks because they are all watching me and every little move, nuance. And I know I am being totally critiqued/judged by all. Just did my best to not even notice them and just focus on the job at hand. After I did my pattern master came out and gave me immediate, specific feedback which was awesome. Said I did it well and no major issues, but asked me to watch my weight balance especially in my "L" stance. He could tell I didn't have the majority of my weight on my back foot (as I should in an L stance) but other than that no real negatives which was a relief.

Then we did that pre-arranged 1-step sparring. It was probably about the best I've ever done it which was awesome although my partner did a great job making me look better than I was. After we did the 7th (last) one, master forward and asked me to re-do my #7 attack but for the benefit of my partner, who is a Dan candidate. He was clear that it was for his benefit and not mine which was a relief for me, as the defence on that one is probably my weakest.

And then the sparring component. My partner and I have very similar sparring styles and we are both mature, not small guys so we slug it out a lot. The 90 seconds was exhausting. Afterwards, masters feedback was while I am sparring OK, I need to do more combinations. I also block more than moving out of the way of and lose the opportunity to launch a counter since I do it that way. So, after that feedback he said to spar again. Another 90 seconds. I was utterly exhausted. More feedback, wants me to be cocked and loaded with a front leg sidekick and to fire it as soon as I see my opponent get ready to attack... so we sparred again. I was so tired my side kicks were turning into turning kicks just because of the effort to get that leg up. Went for about another 45-60s and then he called it, thank god. Testing was also immediately after class which ends with 10 minutes of sparring. I was just spent and soaked.

And that was it. Polite applause from the BBs and congrats from most everyone so I guess it went well.

Holy poo poo am I sore today though. Little toe is almost black from a nasty bruise (no idea when I got that) and my shins are just pummelled.

But, its done and I hope (knock on wood) to test again in Dec for my full red. The test will be basically identical other than needing to learn the new pattern, Toi-Gye, which is supposed to be fairly tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Suprise goonmeet happened. I was akward. But yeah definitely confirmed its the same place at least. :v:

Now you need a full write up review of the gym so I know exactly what I'm getting into.