Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah a casual gamer friend of mine is super stoked about the Harry Potter ripoff game and I don't really wanna pee in their cheerios over it.

I do, I do!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
If you already bought it then there's not much to be done. Can't exactly hold chucklefish upside down and shake your money back out of them at this point.

Buying new stuff from them is definitely a no though, might wanna give your friend who's eyeing Harry Not-ter a nudge about that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

I Said No posted:

If you already bought it then there's not much to be done. Can't exactly hold chucklefish upside down and shake your money back out of them at this point.

Buying new stuff from them is definitely a no though, might wanna give your friend who's eyeing Harry Not-ter a nudge about that.

This is the truth. Starbound is great because all the love, passion and effort that went into it. Working with Rho and her team really opened my eyes to the amount effort that's placed into games and I think I'm going to be more choosy with my dollars. Like, Homeworld 3 is not happening.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah a casual gamer friend of mine is super stoked about the Harry Potter ripoff game and I don't really wanna pee in their cheerios over it.

I'm still waiting for Wayward Tides! Where is it Finn???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I Said No posted:

Can we not at least try?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If shaking doesn't work, maybe beating with festive pinata sticks will.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I know a guy who's a pro at this...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

This is the truth. Starbound is great because all the love, passion and effort that went into it. Working with Rho and her team really opened my eyes to the amount effort that's placed into games and I think I'm going to be more choosy with my dollars. Like, Homeworld 3 is not happening.

The part about homeworld 3 that sucks is that I dont want to punish Blackbird for gearbox bullshit. As much as I love homeworld, I know I cant support gearbox at all and it hurts immensely. BBI is filled with great people (unless there's something I dont know about) and hurting them with lack of sales and pushing info about how gearbox is worse than a dumpster fire almost seems wrong... but I gotta stick to not supporting gearbox in any way.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
So I was wondering who'd be petty enough to carefully remove me from the credits on the Chucklefish wiki page. I assumed all these years it was George gloating after I left. I mean who else would be petty enough to try and deny someone credit on something they worked on?

Turns out it's our friend Supernorn.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supernorn you stinker........

How could you?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

The recent poo poo got a going-over by Jim Sterling today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMKBzwSBeS8

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

So I was wondering who'd be petty enough to carefully remove me from the credits on the Chucklefish wiki page. I assumed all these years it was George gloating after I left. I mean who else would be petty enough to try and deny someone credit on something they worked on?

Well, that's super gross and hosed up.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The sad thing is it almost worked, when I was doing interviews for the Chucklefish scandal a few of them pointed out that they couldn't find me listed in any credits anywhere.

anyway Supernorn, I'm really sorry that I added poop sprites to your little game in 2009 but I really think it's time you got over it and stopped living vicariously through your employer to take it out on me

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 9, 2019

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
This situation just gets weirder and dumber every time I look. :psyduck:

Rho, I'm super excited for your game and can't wait to support it and goof around building fun cyberpunk cities with my family.

Hopefully you get your day on the Steam charts as well as in the newspaper.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like in some way i'd like to be able to say i feel vindicated by all of this coming out in the open about how lovely they are but in reality it's just mostly depressing and weird to look at

how long are some of y'all at chucklefish going to try and ride this minecart. you realize the tracks cut off after a point, right? i don't think working for a 'publisher' that games regularly end up breaking up ties with and scrubbing mention of them out of their title screens is going to look great on resumes later.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Amazing how these people just keep on getting shittier, as if I didn't already have enough reasons to never buy anything from them again

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like in some way i'd like to be able to say i feel vindicated by all of this coming out in the open about how lovely they are but in reality it's just mostly depressing and weird to look at

how long are some of y'all at chucklefish going to try and ride this minecart. you realize the tracks cut off after a point, right? i don't think working for a 'publisher' that games regularly end up breaking up ties with and scrubbing mention of them out of their title screens is going to look great on resumes later.

I'll be honest, that was a big part of why I put up with so much crap to begin with. Chucklefish was sold to me as a partnership, and that if I worked hard enough I'd get a long term senior position there. The idea of being part of a company from the ground level was hugely appealing to me, so I was willing to put up with whatever crap if it meant 5 years down the line I could have a senior position.

That all got blown to smithereens after the 5th time or so it was pointed out that I was merely a contractor and had no say or standing with the company. After that my priority shifted from protecting their reputation, to protecting mine.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lmao, thanks for your help Contractor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Make the Contractor a Mary Sue villain in your game stat.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I like how people asked Supernorn questions in this thread like his craven cowardly self is gonna come in here and face anything resembling criticism.

For what it's worth, I hope he sees it, but he's a loving gross coward who will stay silent and hide and hope his status and privilage saves him from consequences in the long run.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
You guys don't like capitalist pigs. Huh.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Saxophone posted:

I like how people asked Supernorn questions in this thread like his craven cowardly self is gonna come in here and face anything resembling criticism.

For what it's worth, I hope he sees it, but he's a loving gross coward who will stay silent and hide and hope his status and privilage saves him from consequences in the long run.

The kind of coward who tries to quietly edit someone out of the credits for a game they worked on is exactly the kind of person who is going to keep lurking around reading this thread. They have to keep on top of what they are being a petty vindictive rear end in a top hat about, after all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supernorn, face us you coward!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
supernorn's old posts are great

Supernorn posted:

Just caught up with the thread again. I thought I was being helpful by letting you guys know that we were unhappy with the situation [involving known thief and colossal asshat Sayter] and dealing with the issue, but every time I come back there's another unsubstantiated conspiracy theory.

Supernorn posted:

Guys, please remember to take most of what is said in this thread with a large grain of salt. It is not based on reality.

:lol:

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Space Terraria design thread: post the meltdown, coward

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I bought this game years ago and de installed after it was never updated.

I'm guessing this is still the case then.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The updates actually consistently removed features and replaced them with worse things. Or nothing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got this for free from someone Ive long lost contact with and I still regret ever owning it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Foul Ole Ron posted:

There was some sort of update recently. It had a load of glowy light grids in the announcement though I'll be hosed if I know why. Some bs over credits (not even the stuff from the other week) made me reinstall to go look at 'em and the game doesn't even launch for me :v:

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

Rhopunzel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qbv8AatAU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

I'll be honest, that was a big part of why I put up with so much crap to begin with. Chucklefish was sold to me as a partnership, and that if I worked hard enough I'd get a long term senior position there. The idea of being part of a company from the ground level was hugely appealing to me, so I was willing to put up with whatever crap if it meant 5 years down the line I could have a senior position.

That all got blown to smithereens after the 5th time or so it was pointed out that I was merely a contractor and had no say or standing with the company. After that my priority shifted from protecting their reputation, to protecting mine.

So uh, I certainly wouldn't know how to pick myself up after this so good on you for making your own game and everything after being put through everything from Chucklefish's mad tyrant.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BTW, where would we be able to read about Rho's developing game?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

This thread's the one you're looking for, I think.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Rhopunzel posted:

sad thing is that i remember supernorn for making those amazing space station 13 sprites.
So i expected a lot from starbound because of that. Im just glad i never pre-ordered it.

Its a good thing that the space station 13 remake never went anywhere, if he truly is part of this kind of work culture.

Im still going to give some benefit of doubt here, maybe he didnt know about underage employees working for starbound for free.
Hopefully he will at least give his side of story here.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

If I remember right, the SS13 remake did fold due to toxic lovely behavior, but norn wasn't the culprit in that case. Multiple people I talked to (I think including norn back in the day, this was well before CF/SB) all pointed to this one particular rear end in a top hat who was always just sour as poo poo, ragingly transphobic, and never contributed anything other than cringe-style complaining about other people's work.

Hard to say, though, back on SS13 norn was mostly nice to everyone except Rho specifically for some loving reason. He's just had not just a stick but an entire tree up his rear end about her all this time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Samovar posted:

That thread linked for sure. We're working on some major stuff so we've been quiet. I'm Rho'z biz manager and I've been trying to keep the SA thread up-to-date but been busy. I'm open to any questions in thread or DM.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Delamore posted:

Are there any writeups or any information outside this thread about what nicalis has done? I thought they were a great publisher with their catalog since I never looked deeper.
I thought the isaac updates were entire Edmunds doing

there is now! :haw:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've owned Starbound for a while, so any guilt I might have over supporting those involved is moot. With that in mind, can I get some suggestions for mods that make the game more interesting? Like, I don't care about having Cloud's sword or adding dozens of furry races, and I'm not looking to make the game "more realistic" (i.e., harder for no good reason). I want, for instance, to have motivation to care about tenants at all, much less to do anything but stick them in econo-boxes and periodically do quests. I want to have things to do on the ship other than plonk down crafting stations. I want more, and more interesting, types of quests, with better rewards than "a weapon I've already sold twenty of because I made a better one ten hours ago" or "a crew member exactly like ten I've fired only with a new hat". In short, I want a mod or mods that add depth. Any suggestions?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I've owned Starbound for a while, so any guilt I might have over supporting those involved is moot. With that in mind, can I get some suggestions for mods that make the game more interesting? Like, I don't care about having Cloud's sword or adding dozens of furry races, and I'm not looking to make the game "more realistic" (i.e., harder for no good reason). I want, for instance, to have motivation to care about tenants at all, much less to do anything but stick them in econo-boxes and periodically do quests. I want to have things to do on the ship other than plonk down crafting stations. I want more, and more interesting, types of quests, with better rewards than "a weapon I've already sold twenty of because I made a better one ten hours ago" or "a crew member exactly like ten I've fired only with a new hat". In short, I want a mod or mods that add depth. Any suggestions?

Play Terraria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Saxophone posted:

Play Terraria

Any suggestions for mods to make Starbound more interesting, the question I actually asked? Besides, I have played Terraria. And Minecraft, to head off the next goon. And "kill yourself" is off the table, to address the goon after that.